The Procrastinators Guide to Meaningful Thanksgiving Traditions

by Kimba on November 16, 2011

in Faith and Family,Sanctuary at Home,Seasonal Projects

I love Thanksgiving. I love the food, the family and the reminder to stop and be thankful for all of my life. For the last couple of years, our family has done a Thankful Tree as a reminder to be purposefully thankful during the month leading up to Thanksgiving. But this year, life got in the way (and I procrastinated) and we haven’t started yet. Since Thanksgiving is next week, I went on the hunt for some meaningful Thanksgiving traditions that us procrastinators still have plenty of time to do.

We’ll be making Gratitude Rolls from Jen at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam. So simple if you use a tube of crescent roll dough.

Silverbox Creative Studio has created a beautiful, FREE printable that you can use to make napkin rings, a paper garland or paper tags. Each strip has a spot to write what you’re thankful for.

Here’s another free printable from Sissy Print! You can use it to play the “I am Thankful For” Guessing Game!

How about making a Thanksgiving leaf garland with your kids on Thanksgiving morning?

I love this Blessings String from Southern Living. You could just wind the string around the tabletop and let people add tags with their own words during the meal.

Get a jump start on your Christmas paper chain garland by putting out strips of scrapbook paper and asking everyone to write down what they’re thankful for. Thank you Little Birdie Secrets! What a wonderful way to tie the two holidays together!

I love the Thanksgiving Journal tradition shared by Just Something I Made. What a great way to see how your family changes and grows over the years.

I got tears in my eyes when I saw this Thanksgiving Tablecloth shared by From Glitter to Gumdrops. What a precious treasure.

Does your family have any special Thanksgiving Day traditions?

1 Erin @ Out on a Limb... November 16, 2011 at 11:58 am

I too have slacked on our thankful leaves for this year’s tree. I love all of these ideas, especially the crescent rolls!

Thanks for sharing. You’ve made this procrastinator feel like she’s in good company!

Have a wonderful celebration.

Erin @ Out on a Limb…

2 marion November 16, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Oh, so lovely and so good. Feeling thankful all ready.
Makes me happy I too am a procrastinator!

3 Jessica @ Decor Adventures November 16, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Hi Kimba,

This is so sweet! I love that you wrote about it since I always try to do things that reflect the real meaning of the season and make things special. Those are some great ideas.

4 Rhonda November 16, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I love this table cloth idea! What a wonderful keepsake! Thanks for sharing!

5 Rose November 16, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Oh me to on the table cloth idea! That would be really neat. Love the journal idea to. Thanx for sharing them with us!

6 Annie November 16, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I love this – it’s like pinterest, edited and customized to my last minute tendencies! I had all but given up on squeezing in anything crafty & intentional for Thanksgiving,and this inspired me to get a little thankfulness project together tonight. Thanks, Kimba!

7 Rebecca Cooper November 16, 2011 at 8:50 pm

What a beautiful collection of meaningful Thanksgiving goodness! I’m filing these ideas away for the future. THank you for sharing and thank you for linking our little Thanksgiving leaf garland. :) So happy to have found your blog and to be your brand newest follower!! YAY!! :) :)

8 Meredith W. November 17, 2011 at 10:37 am

Thank you for such wonderful ideas. I’ve been wanting to make a thankful garland but the sentimental side of me is torn about what on earth I’d do with it after Thanksgiving. I couldn’t throw it away…but where would I keep it, and would I ever actually look through it again or just keep it out of guilt?! Ha. Well, we are going to do the Thanksgiving journal. I already have a beautiful empty leather journal that will be perfect…and I’m hosting this year, so it’s the perfect time to start something new.

9 Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D November 17, 2011 at 10:47 am

I think that tablecloth is a wonderful idea!
We still have family placemats that we’ve all created and signed and we treasure them.
~

10 BeckyB November 17, 2011 at 9:41 pm

The once-a-year foods, placecards made by the kids and our “thankful-fors” said before the prayer. Thanks for sharing so many wonderful ideas!

11 Alana November 18, 2011 at 11:33 am

Wonderful! I really enjoyed the information you provided hear. I’m sure I will be looking forward to applying it to great uses this Thanksgiving Day. I’ll be sure to pass this post on to my friends. Thanks you so much, I enjoyed this so much.. :)
Alana┬┤s last undefined ..

CommentLuv Premium is here!

The version of CommentLuv on this site is no longer supported. Please update by clicking the image below

The CommentLuv Plugin

Go to CommentLuv.com to download

Hurry! click here!

My ComLuv Profile

12 {darlene} November 18, 2011 at 11:12 pm

oh, that tablecloth. HOW precious!!!!!!!!

13 Kim@todayismysome-day November 20, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Thank you for titling it the “Procrastinators guide…” That’s me! I love the journal idea. I’m going to do that this year- even if my kids are already 11 and 6. We have MANY years to celebrate together.

Happy Thanksgiving Kimba.

14 Jen (Balancing Beauty and Bedlam) November 20, 2011 at 11:12 pm

oh sweet friend – you know I’m with you on the procrastinators guide. I have my “thankful tree” up with the leaves that are NOT filled in. :)

And that precious tablecloth idea. I wrote about wanting to start that tradition FIVE years ago in a newsletter I sent out, and (gulp) you can guess where that went. :)

We do what we can and share that together.
xoxo

15 Southern Fried Gal November 23, 2011 at 10:34 am

Love these sweet ideas. I guess the only tradition we have is a family is that we get together. We only get to see my brother and his family a couple of times each year and we treasure this time.

Happy Thanksgiving!

16 joey November 24, 2011 at 9:29 am

i have to be honest here, the title of this post brings me here.. i needed to kill some time, and this is what i stumble upon in google.. but luckily this post is a good enough to give it a try :)

17 Ran Daniels November 26, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Being the festive season is also the best time to have a little bit work done because loads of people are on holiday there is more demand for work you might even get it a little bit cheaper.

18 Lisa @ Stop and Smell the Chocolates November 28, 2011 at 3:00 am

We don’t have any real traditions other than eating together and enjoying each others company. It’s all guys for my Thanksgiving so they wouldn’t really participate in lots of these things. And oh how I procrastinated – got my food done, but never actually got the floors vacuumed and didn’t check on the TP in the guest bathroom…which ran out but nobody told me. Hubs discovered it when he saw a stack of napkins in there. L.O.L. *hangs head in shame* :) Hope you had a fabulous Thanksgiving!

19 Jamie December 2, 2011 at 2:51 am

The Thanksgiving Tablecloth tradition was so lovely. I sent the link to my mother (an avid sewer) who sent it to her friend (also an avid sewer), and they loved it as well. Thanks for sharing, it put a smile on many faces!

20 Sam December 2, 2011 at 10:44 am

Kimba! Please come back to blogging! We miss you! And I am really looking forward to see what you have up your sleeve for holiday decorating! Seriously though, I hope everything is okay and you are enjoying your real life.

21 Jessica December 2, 2011 at 11:36 am

I love the Thankful journal idea, and the paper chain, and the note string….next year, I’ll try to incorporate some of these new traditions into our old traditions. Thank you for this post.

Jess

22 Anna December 10, 2011 at 5:45 am

What fabulous ideas. I’m late coming to the party but these ideas are good for Christmas too.

23 Deb December 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Ms. Kimba….where are you?!?!? Missing your posts!

24 patricia December 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Where have you gone?

25 Heidi December 15, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Miss your posts!! Hope everything is ok!!

26 Kristen December 16, 2011 at 7:34 am

Hey Kimba. I keep checking in to see if you have posted. I hope everything is ok and you have a very Merry Christmas.

27 Shannon December 18, 2011 at 9:42 am

Kimba ~ hope everything is alright in your world. Miss your posts & perspective at the holidays!

28 Laura December 19, 2011 at 8:35 am

Miss your sunshiney heart! Please come back! My daily blog-checking just isn’t the same without you!

29 Rose December 22, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Me to on hoping everything is OK with you. I sure am missing your posts as well. Just pray you are OK!

30 phone verification December 24, 2011 at 7:59 am

this is a great article, glad i stumbled across this little gem

31 jeanne December 24, 2011 at 4:53 pm