Yarn Pumpkins AKA Yumpkins

by Kimba on October 10, 2011

in Crafty Stuff,Seasonal Projects

How adorable are these yarn wrapped pumpkins? Totally huggable. I think. I am crushing on all things yarn right now because I can’t resist all the yummy fall colors.

I bought a few fake pumpkins last week (and pulled a some smaller ones from my stash) and wrapped them up in different shades of yarn to give them some fall snuggly-ness. The large pumpkin came from Michaels and the large gourd came from Joann. The smaller pumpkins and gourds came from Wal-Mart.

Don’t you just love all the rich fall colors in the yarn? The fat yarn came from Wal-Mart and the rest from Joann. Wavery yarn comes in beautiful colors that are perfect for fall.

The process is super simple, if rather tedious. All I did was glue the yarn around the base of the stem with hot glue. Then I continued wrapping and gluing the yarn as I went down the pumpkin. Super simple and mindless. But, if you’re attached to your fingerprints, you may want to use low-melt glue to minimize the inevitable burning of your fingers. The tips of my fingers have long-ago lost most feeling (not to mention their fingerprints). I’d make a great criminal.

I think the big white one is my favorite. I may or may not hug it when I walk by. How can you not love a pumpkin that looks like it’s wearing a sweater?

I used the extra-thick yarn and twisted two strands together as I glued it to the pumpkin. The stem is wrapped in jute twine. It’s super easy, but took some time. I did the big white one while watching 2 episodes of What Not to Wear.

I can’t stop touching them. The texture and colors are perfect for fall. I seriously want to wrap everything I own in yarn. The dog is scared. The kids too.

Note: The Fruit of the Spirit artwork is from the Urban Soul Collection at Dayspring.

Thank you to Martha Stewart, Everything Under the Moon and Two Shades of Pink for the inspiration. Check them out for more pumpkin-wrapped goodness.

1 Richella at Imparting Grace October 10, 2011 at 9:43 am

Kimba, this is great! Your pumpkins DO look really huggable. I love the way you twisted the white yarn together–that intensifies the texture and looks awesome.

Do be sure to use low-melt glue if you wrap the dog and the kids. :)
Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..Spiritual Formation, Day 10: Grace ImpartedMy ComLuv Profile

2 Heather @SimplyCottageLove October 10, 2011 at 10:10 am

Oh! I do so love that white one too! Good trick with doubling up the white yarn. Beautiful stuff!
Heather @SimplyCottageLove´s last blog ..Beachy Wall ArtMy ComLuv Profile

3 Emily October 10, 2011 at 10:24 am

What a great idea!!! I am also a fan of the thick white yarn. What a neat and super easy craft!
Emily´s last blog ..Finally a New Couch!!My ComLuv Profile

4 Kacey October 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm

They look great! I love that texture. This has been on my to do list – I really need to get going!
Kacey´s last blog ..A little welcome and a little fall decorMy ComLuv Profile

5 Tonya October 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Holy moly, those are adorable!!! Kimba, will you move closer to me and do all my decorating?! Kansas has beautiful falls! :)
Tonya´s last blog ..{30 days}My ComLuv Profile

6 Laura October 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Look at your pretty fingernail there. It’s like “The Price is Right” models doing a craft demo! Thinking about swaddling some pumpkins now. Maybe after I clean up the kitchen…

7 Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D October 10, 2011 at 11:16 pm

I really like that doubly-twisted white yarn.
“Pumpkins wearing Sweaters!” LOL – sounds like a children’s book.
Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D´s last blog ..31 Days To a More Organized Life: Day 10 – Simple Safety TipsMy ComLuv Profile

8 Tara @ Unsophisticook October 11, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Could you please explain how you did the small white pumpkin? I can’t see it clearly enough in any of the photos to make out the pattern, but I love it!
Tara @ Unsophisticook´s last blog ..Apple German Pancake {Featuring SweeTango Apples}My ComLuv Profile

9 Gila October 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm

what a great idea!!!!!! Thank you. its look so special and made from so good and healthy things. great!
Gila´s last blog ..הדרכת הוריםMy ComLuv Profile

10 Ann October 12, 2011 at 1:44 am

Oh what a lovely idea…

they look so good in there.
Ann´s last blog ..A Lovely Feminine HomeMy ComLuv Profile

11 barak October 12, 2011 at 6:53 am

I’m crazy about your creativity!
barak´s last blog ..Blindness in Dogs – Causes and symptomsMy ComLuv Profile

12 Heathahlee October 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I luh-huh-huve the white one! Now I wanna make one! :)
Heathahlee´s last blog ..31 Days of Worship – Not a Spectator SportMy ComLuv Profile

13 Rachel October 12, 2011 at 7:10 pm

I love the name and they’re so pretty! Thanks for sharing, I’ll be linking.

14 Heather Ozee October 14, 2011 at 11:17 am

Hi! These are fantastic pumpkins :) Love it!
Heather Ozee´s last blog ..Fall CrochetingMy ComLuv Profile

15 Sandy @ RE October 15, 2011 at 7:15 pm

You are so creative, girl.

Happy fall!
Sandy @ RE´s last blog ..Warm Connections {Day 15}: Enjoying Everyday SoundsMy ComLuv Profile

16 yaniv October 16, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Really creative idea, a task can be done with the kids, thanks for sharing
yaniv´s last blog ..Why Choose 3 Season Tent?My ComLuv Profile

17 Sue October 17, 2011 at 10:27 am

Definitely crushing on these yarn-wrapped beauties! How is it that something so simple can become something so lovely? :-) Sue
Sue´s last blog ..More Fall ColorMy ComLuv Profile

18 Home Made Modern October 17, 2011 at 2:01 pm
19 Brittany November 10, 2011 at 2:54 am

I love your yumkins! Thanks for sharing!