Spider Web String Art: Halloween Mantel

by Kimba on October 17, 2011

in Crafty Stuff,decorating,Seasonal Projects

I don’t do a whole lot of Halloween decorating. Not because I don’t like the holiday (I love it!), but mostly because it usually sneaks up on me and I’m not prepared. Shall I show you my boys store-bought costumes as proof?

But my boys are of the age where a little bit of spooky and creepy is thrilling. And since we all find spiders thoroughly creepy, I created this string art spiderweb for our mantel.

The whole project took less than 30 minutes and you could probably figure out how to make it yourself in no time. But, since you’re all here, I’ll show you how I did it.

All you need is a piece of plywood, nails with big heads and some fat black yarn. My plywood is a 2′ x 3′ scrap from our basement remodel. If you don’t have scrap wood laying around, Home Depot and Lowes sell 2′x2′ and 2′x4′ pieces of plywood and MDF in the wood area.

Start by figuring out where you want to center of your spiderweb to be and hammer a nail there. I put mine a little off-center to make it more interesting.

Then hammer nails around the outside of the board wherever you want to “spokes” of the spiderweb to end. That probably makes no sense and I’m sure that spiders don’t call them “spokes”. Hang on. It will make sense in a minute.

Now you’re going to create the spokes using your yarn. I like the fat yarn, but you can use whatever you have. Start by tying the end of the yarn around the center nail. Then wrap your yarn around each outer nail always coming back to the center nail. You’re kind of creating a sunburst pattern with your yarn.

All spiders probably hate me now with all my talk of “spokes” and “sunbursts” in relation to spider webs.

Now you’re going to start making the inner parts of the web. Make a circle of nails close the center of the web. Keep the nails as close to the “spokes” as possible.

Then wrap your yarn around each set of nails. Seriously. It couldn’t be easier.

After it was all done, I went back and painted the heads of my nails with black craft paint. You could be smarter than I and use black nails.

Now my boys are asking for a giant spider to put in the web. Shudder.

Linking to the Halloween Mantel Party @ Home Stories A to Z

1 Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D October 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Love it!
And, love the green “money brain” on the mantel!

Creepy nature is so much fun, isn’t it?
I brought home a bunch of bumpy, warty gourds from our trip to the orchard yesterday.

(Yeah, I bought some pretty ones, too.)

2 Heathahlee October 17, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Cute! But of course I won’t make that because it would be my luck that a giant spider would think that place is da bomb and come live on my mantel. ; )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..31 Days of Worship – Are We Offering Polluted Worship?My ComLuv Profile

3 Brittany October 17, 2011 at 3:32 pm

I love this! Thanks for sharing!

4 Erin @ Out on A Limb... October 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Love the spider web! So clever. I love that it’s a subtle nod to Halloween, especially paired with your pretty flowers. It’s funny, my Pinterest board is full of holiday ideas/crafts for each one, but they usually sneak up on me while I’m in the midst of eight other things.

Thanks for sharing this. I may just add it to my Pinterest board for another Halloween.

5 Amy @ the Happy Tulip October 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Love the spider web. I have spiders up at my house for Halloween. They’re not too bad because I bought the inexpensive, glittery spiders at Walmart. You can’t be too freaked out by something that shimmers!

6 rebecca, who only loves spiders in October October 17, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Wait a minute…..I’ve got ALL these things! YIPPEE!! Guess what I’m doing this weekend?

(and I paint nails all the time too. wait – did I say paint? I meant SHARPIE. because I’m lazy)
rebecca, who only loves spiders in October´s last blog ..Way #16: Gifts With Balls {and other ornaments}My ComLuv Profile

7 judith October 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Nice spider web.
I’ll try to make it in my bacement
judith´s last blog ..medium layered hairstylesMy ComLuv Profile

8 Larissa October 18, 2011 at 6:42 pm

This spider web is lovely! I love it!
Larissa´s last blog ..The Best Hair Removal MethodsMy ComLuv Profile

9 Latoya @The Scotts Crib October 18, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Very very clever! I never would have thought of that…I guess that’s what blog land is for;) Thanks for sharing with us:)

10 Jennifer S. October 19, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Love it!! We dont have a mantle anymore, but I can still totally use this. Thanks!!
Jennifer S.´s last blog ..Smile…My ComLuv Profile

11 yaniv October 21, 2011 at 12:59 pm

BIg like for the spider web string :-)
yaniv´s last blog ..Getting the Best 4 Season TentMy ComLuv Profile

12 lika October 25, 2011 at 4:59 am

this is a very nice idea.
maybe i’ll make it with my 2 boys, do you think a 5 year old can manage with that?
lika
lika´s last blog ..Lesson to Have a Positive CommunicationMy ComLuv Profile

13 Rizza October 27, 2011 at 10:53 am

I like the idea you made in celebrating Halloween. The web string looks so simple but very attractive.
Rizza´s last blog ..weight loss warsMy ComLuv Profile

14 Michelle November 15, 2011 at 3:35 pm

That is really neat! Now, will I be able to remember it when it’s time to start thinking about Halloween decorations for next year?