Martha Stewart Hack

by Kimba on September 27, 2011

in Crafty Stuff,decorating,Seasonal Projects

via

A couple of months ago, I saw this picture of Martha Stewart’s Gourd Garland on Pinterest. I loved it. So simple and pretty. And it made me want to put a split-rail fence all around my yard.

I have no doubt that Martha’s version is made with hand-twisted, organic jute twine and air dried Peruvian gourds. Mine is made with regular old jute string and fake miniature gourds that I found at Michaels.

Drill a hole in each gourd using a drill-bit that’s similar in size to your twine or string. Don’t make them all stand up straight. Drill some of the holes at an angle so the gourds hang to the side. It looks better that way.

Thread your twine or string through the holes in each gourd. Here, a big embroidery or upholstery needle would have been helpful. I didn’t have one, so I wrapped the end of my twine in tape to give it some stiffness.

Shoot a glob of glue into each hole to hold the gourd in place on your twine. I left about 5 inches between each gourd. You could also tie a knot on either side of each gourd to hold it in place. That’s what Martha did. But I’m a rebel.

Done! $4.00 and 20 minutes, including a Diet Dr. Pepper break. I still don’t have a split-rail fence, but it looks nice and fall-ish on my mantle.

1 Christi {Jealous Hands} September 27, 2011 at 9:11 am

Ca-ute!!

2 Deanna September 27, 2011 at 9:12 am

Love it!!! I love gourds and I love Michaels… I work there!! LOL Great blog keep up the excellent work!! Glad I found my way here.
Deanna´s last blog ..The TransformationMy ComLuv Profile

3 Amy September 27, 2011 at 10:19 am

Oh, I love it, so simple and so cute! Take that, Martha Stewart! :)
Amy´s last blog ..How to Paint a Kitchen Table: Our Kitchen Table MakeoverMy ComLuv Profile

4 The Chubby Dove September 27, 2011 at 10:25 am

What sweet garland! I love a good hacking…

5 judith September 27, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Its so simple to make your home beautiful
Thank you. I love it so much
judith´s last blog ..shoulder length hair stylesMy ComLuv Profile

6 Bevy September 27, 2011 at 3:11 pm

Very. Very. Cute.

Fairly new to your blog – just glad I found you.
Blessings!

7 Audra O. September 27, 2011 at 5:33 pm

Adorable! I saw a garland in The Land of Nod catalog made out of different colored loofahs. You can make a garland out of anything!

8 Shari@Rain into Rainbows September 27, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Too cute! I need to do something like that. Just not sure where I’d put it. Oh, I miss having a mantel….

(And btw, you totally had me at Diet Dr. Pepper!)
Shari@Rain into Rainbows´s last blog ..Goals Update: Ten Things to Do Before 2012My ComLuv Profile

9 Rachel September 27, 2011 at 10:47 pm

I like yours much better :)

10 KittyHere October 2, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Ditto!!
KittyHere´s last blog ..words for 10/2 – AboardMy ComLuv Profile

11 Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D September 27, 2011 at 10:48 pm

You ARE a rebel!
Love that you rescued and upcycled those gourds from Michael’s.
I hear the air-dried Peruvian ones are on the endangered species list anyway!
Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D´s last blog ..Totally Random Tuesday & Super Simple Tips That Don’t Cost a Penny (Part 2)My ComLuv Profile

12 Teri Mahl September 27, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I want a mantle!!! This darn new house just has a free-standing stove. No mantle. I have always wanted one and still do not have. Oh well. Maybe I’ll make one.

13 Mom in High Heels September 28, 2011 at 3:53 am

*Snort* Hand twisted jute and Peruvian gourds. I ♥ you.

That’s a great hack. If we weren’t moving next month (or the month after, or possibly the month after that-make up your mind ARMY!), I’d make one and put it up. I’m going to have to “Pin” you on this.
Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..RTT: MeetingsMy ComLuv Profile

14 Elisabeth September 28, 2011 at 10:47 am

What a clever idea and it looks very “fallish”. I just posted my fall mantle, too.

15 Michelle September 28, 2011 at 12:20 pm

I just had a get together at my house over the weekend & I wish I had done this…what a great idea! Guess I’ll have to do it & have another party!!

16 kel September 28, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Adorable and easy-thanks Kimba!! Would you be willing to divulge any info about the window trtment/tan-brown blind I see in the window by the fireplace? Need some window covering help over here~ thanks, Kel

17 Lacey September 28, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Wow! I stumbled on your blog from Dollar Store Crafts and I love this idea. My sister-in-law and I are planning a fancy Halloween dinner party and I think this might be the perfect decoration for the breakfast bar. Gourds are so pretty.

18 Scribbling Sarah September 29, 2011 at 10:34 am

Cute! And I really like those gourds, they are very realistic looking.
Scribbling Sarah´s last blog ..My Memories review & giveawayMy ComLuv Profile

19 A Mother's Thoughts September 29, 2011 at 11:08 am

I LOVE this idea!! It’s so fallish and it looks so nice!! Thanks for sharing the idea! I am absolutely going to make some.

Lynn

20 grace.to.be September 29, 2011 at 2:27 pm

so cute! what a great idea~
just dug out the fall decor around here yesterday..
may need to give this one a try.

and i’m a diet dr.pepper fan too.
it’s the only diet drink that doesn’t taste like it, imo. :)
grace.to.be´s last blog ..Wednesday, September 21, 2011My ComLuv Profile

21 Robie September 29, 2011 at 4:58 pm

How cute is that! I’ll probably never be industrious enough to attempt it, but yours looks better than Martha’s!
Robie´s last blog ..Let the Living Room Renovation Begin!My ComLuv Profile

22 Rose September 29, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Another cute idea Kimba! I love it! I’ve been trying to figure out how to decorate the house for fall this year AND for Christmas.

23 Rachel @Bigfaithtobiglife September 30, 2011 at 2:14 pm

I love that!!! Thank you for sharing! Now I know what I can do with this:

24 Meowie October 1, 2011 at 8:39 am

Lovely!! You did a great job!
Meowie´s last blog ..love my family and friends 1314My ComLuv Profile

25 Debbie October 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea. Congrats for pulling off such a feat!!

26 Kristen October 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Thank you. it feels good to see your beauty.
there is love and pation! I wont to do it for my on at my home to :-) have a great days!
Kristen´s last blog ..יוגה תרפיהMy ComLuv Profile

27 Heidi Shaker Luna October 2, 2011 at 10:31 pm

Love this! Thanks for sharing – I made it yesterday and I just love it! So easy and inexpensive!

28 sapir October 3, 2011 at 5:19 am

Martha Stewart is genius of thinking about things like that! it’s super cute!
sapir´s last blog ..Exercises for CelluliteMy ComLuv Profile

29 leighann October 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Love this idea! Thanks.

30 yaniv October 4, 2011 at 8:20 am

A string of pumpkin, really pretty thank you for sharing :-)
yaniv´s last blog ..Know How To Assemble A Tent Easily!My ComLuv Profile