Displaying Art on a DIY Cork Board

by Kimba on September 12, 2011

in Artwork,Crafty Stuff,Do it yourself

Some friends sent us a piece of artwork that I treasure. I wanted to display it in a special way, so I put together a DIY cork board that works perfectly.

Making the cork board was ridiculously easy. I already had a thrifted frame that I turned into a chalkboard for my Good Enough Mudroom. I removed the chalkboard from the frame and flipped it over to add the cork on the other side.

All you need is a roll of cork (that you can find in any craft store), a frame with a back and some hot glue. LOVE a simple project.

Cut 2 pieces of cork in the same size as your frame back. I decided to use 2 layers of cork so that the push pins will sink all the way into the cork. If you have a thicker cork, you can get away with 1 layer.

Hot glue the cork to backing of your frame and then add the second layer on top of the 1st.

And that’s it! A quick and easy DIY cork board.

I love how it shows off my new piece of art. And I can easily change it out whenever I want.

Want to know the story behind the artwork?

This sweet little painting was sent to us by friends who are preparing to be missionaries in Columbia by attending language school in Costa Rico. The artist, Marvin, works as a night guard at their school. He used to be a prison guard before he was shot in the chest and spent 8 months in the hospital without pay. He took his current job at the language school and came to know the Lord there. Now, he supplements his income by selling his paintings in a local park.

I love his story and that I can have a small reminder of him in our home.

1 Charlene @ Adventures In Mommy Land September 12, 2011 at 10:20 am

Looks great! I have a huge picture frame that I don’t know what to do with (was going to do chalk board), I might have to try this idea.
Charlene @ Adventures In Mommy Land´s last blog ..~Fall Sugar Cookies~My ComLuv Profile

2 Heathahlee September 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Love this post! Love that frame, and LOVE that story! So sweet!
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Tassel Tuesday – New Fall Tassels!My ComLuv Profile

3 deanna September 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm

NEAT-0!!!!!!!!!
deanna´s last blog ..Home HappeningsMy ComLuv Profile

4 Rachel September 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm

I love the artist’s story that is fantastic! I also have a thrifted frame this idea might work perfectly for!! Thanks for sharing.

5 Larissa September 12, 2011 at 7:12 pm

So simple,so lovely :) Thanks!
Larissa´s last blog ..Hair removal methodsMy ComLuv Profile

6 Richella at Imparting Grace September 12, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Kimba, this is brilliant! I’ve made a corkboard before, but I’ve never thought of making a small one to display artwork. This would be a great thing to do with kids’ art, wouldn’t it?

I LOVE that painting and the story behind it. I wonder if he has other artwork that he’d like to sell (and a way to ship it to the U.S.)?
Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..Grace Imparted 8My ComLuv Profile

7 sapir September 13, 2011 at 4:59 am

cool and useful! you gave me an idea to do a similar thing in my place as well..
sapir´s last blog ..Lose Weight EasilyMy ComLuv Profile

8 Jen September 13, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I love this casual kind of art display. The options are unlimited.

Hey! That “r” sure looks familiar! ;)

9 Kerri September 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm

love the cork board framed…it would be great for children’s art!
also love the baskets below your art display…such a smart idea to stay organized and keep things right where they are needed!

10 Susie September 14, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Great Cork board idea. I like the unfinished edge of the picture. Very chic. Thanks for sharing.

11 barak September 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm

the story picture is crazy… its give the pic and the artwork an whole diffrent prespective.
barak´s last blog ..Old Dog & New Tricks – Deaf dog tricks, step 2 (Teach good sign)My ComLuv Profile

12 triereNeornes September 22, 2011 at 10:20 am

Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds additionallyI’m happy to seek out so many useful info right here within the post, we want develop more techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

13 julie September 24, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I loved this idea, modified it a bit and it’s up on my blog now. Go and check it out. Wait….there is a FAST SIGNS Baymeadows sign at the bottom of your blog. Are you in Jacksonville???
Julie