The 144 Clothespin Wreath

by Kimba on September 4, 2011

in Artwork,Crafty Stuff,decorating,Laundry Room

I had an empty wall in my laundry room that was begging for something fun to fill the space. Last month, I saw this project over at Young House Love and I couldn’t get it out of my head. But I didn’t need a clothespin chandelier. I needed something to hang on the wall.

So I decided to try my hand at a clothespin wreath. After wandering the aisles of the craft store, I found a metal wreath form that I thought would work. Here’s what I used for my clothespin wreath.

• 1 metal wreath form
  • 72 (2.75″) clothespins
  • 72 (3.25″) clothespins

I found the clothespins in the woodcraft area of the craft store and you may need more or less of them depending on the pattern you create.

My wreath form was green, but I thought it would look better white. A little white spray paint fixed it right up.

The hardest part was deciding on the pattern of pins to use. In the end, I settled on a pattern of 5, 4, 5, 4 from front to back in each section of the wreath form. I used 2 different sizes of pins (3.25″ and 2.75″) because I thought it added more texture and interest. The bigger pins make up the back two rows and smaller pins are on the front two rows.

I worked section by section around the wreath form until the whole thing was covered. And that was it! I had to adjust some of the pins once the wreath was hung on the wall because they shifted around a little.

There are a total of 144 clothespins on my wreath and the whole thing took less than an hour. Have fun pinning!

1 Lorarian89 September 4, 2011 at 5:31 pm

A piece of clothespins art :)
Lorarian89´s last blog ..AR15 builderMy ComLuv Profile

2 Myra @ My Blessed Life September 4, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I love it Kimba! Fabulousness! :) I made a starburst mirror the other day with clothespins – the old fashioned kind. So fun!
Myra @ My Blessed Life´s last blog ..DIY Deep Teal Yarn WreathMy ComLuv Profile

3 Heather September 4, 2011 at 6:02 pm

This is so cute!

4 Jennifer September 4, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Too cute Kimba! What a cute idea for a laundry room!
Jennifer´s last blog ..we only have today.My ComLuv Profile

5 Laura Ingalls Gunn September 4, 2011 at 7:33 pm

What a completely adorable wreath ~ I love it!

Have a Happy Labor Day.

6 Kerri from A Pop of Pretty September 4, 2011 at 7:52 pm

This is so awesome! Who would have imagined that something so great could be made with so few basic supplies! You’ve brought new meaning to ‘pinning’. And, by the way, I’m pinning this to my wreath pinboard, lol. Have a lovely evening! Kerri

7 Joy September 4, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Very nice – great take off on Young House Love. You made it your own. Thanks for the clear description too.
- Joy

8 wine racks September 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm

You made it your own. Thanks for the clear description too.I’m pinning this to my wreath pinboard, lol. Have a lovely evening! Kerri

9 Ravit September 5, 2011 at 10:29 am

Hello Kimba, now it won’t get out of MY head until I do some pinning… :) I love it !
Ravit´s last blog ..Space saving solutionsMy ComLuv Profile

10 Heathahlee September 5, 2011 at 9:58 pm

That is so cute…and when you need a clothespin for various laundry things, you can just take one off the wreath! : )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Dolphin Tale Homeschool Day!My ComLuv Profile

11 custom business cards September 6, 2011 at 6:38 am

Heathahlee was right! But I would better buy another set of clothespin than getting piece by piece from this lovely wreath. Anyway, It is a very brilliant idea.

12 Jamie @ charmingly ordinary September 6, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I just love your DIYs. :) Have been wanting to make one of these for a while also. Would be cute to clip Christmas cards onto!

13 ViVO September 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm

love this…. I have the perfect spot on my wall for this!
ViVO´s last blog ..Soy Candle- CranOrange Scone Kitchen Candle in Eco Chic ContainerMy ComLuv Profile

14 Comeca Jones September 6, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I think its too cute I just imagined that if my washer and dryer was in a screen porch area this would be the perfect decoration.
Comeca Jones´s last blog ..~Our Randomness~My ComLuv Profile

15 yaniv September 7, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Hi kimba this is Very creative and beautiful thank you sharing :-)
yaniv´s last blog ..Looking For Used Camping Gear? – Things You Need To BringMy ComLuv Profile

16 Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D September 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I love that idea!
It’s fresh, related to the room, easy (I hope!), inexpensive, and has a really retro feel.
Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D´s last blog ..Friday’s Two for $10! Oh, yeah!My ComLuv Profile

17 Suzy @ Worthing Court September 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm

So cute and perfect for a laundry room. I’m going to pin it!

18 Jae September 8, 2011 at 11:01 pm

What a neat idea. It would look great in white too. Great job!
Jae´s last blog ..Lessons from Hotel DecorMy ComLuv Profile

19 Cottage David September 9, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I have an old farm house with a clothes line on the back porch. I have to say I’m a little sick of the old coffee can full of clothes pins leaving rust rings everywhere. I think this would be a wonderful & beautiful way to store them!

20 KIm September 10, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Just loved this idea when I saw this on your blog….so I went out a purchased the supplies. Today I rolled up my sleeves and decided to tackle it…..but let me say: “YIKES” What in the world did I do wrong? I got all the clothespins clipped onto the wire ring and held it up and they fell every which way and then some. Looks terrible!! SNiff….sniff….I wish I could see yours completed and hung on your wall. I don’t know what I did wrong, but this ended up being a big dud. How disappointing.

Kim

21 Kimba September 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm

I’m so sorry that happened! Were the pins actually gripping the wire on the wreath form? Look at the 2nd picture in the 4 picture collage in my post to see what I mean.

When I moved my wreath, a few pins shifted, but definitely not all of them.

22 Susie September 14, 2011 at 11:57 pm

That is a awesome wreath. Now your just need a cool vinyl saying. How about “Laundry today or Naked tomorrow”. Fun, huh!!