Project Fail: Don’t Do What I Did

by Kimba on August 2, 2011

in Crafty Stuff,Do it yourself

We’re all about transparency here at ASPTL. So when a project fails, I’m gonna tell you.

My easy cork wall stayed securely attached to the wall for 2 whole weeks. I used double-sided foam tape and it seemed to be holding just fine.

Then we went on vacation for a week and came home to this.

Sigh.

Apparently, the foam tape sticks just fine to the wall. Not so much to the cork.

Soooo, if you were planning to cover a wall with cork squares, don’t use the foam tape.

I’ve reattached the fallen squares with glue dots (aka booger dots). I’ll keep you posted on the stick-factor.

Anyone have other ideas?

1 Gretchen August 2, 2011 at 9:06 am

I actually bypassed the foam squares altogether and nailed in the edges of the squares figuring it would be easier to patch holes instead of take the foam squares off the wall. They stay up with the nails, but they ned to pull away from the walls. Maybe a combination of glue dots and tacking them in with nails?

2 Michele @ The Scrap Shoppe August 2, 2011 at 9:09 am

If you turned your AC up while you were out of town, the heat/humidity may have played a contributing factor to the foam no longer sticking. Just guessing though. I wonder if the 3M picture frame mounts would work on the cork?
Michele @ The Scrap Shoppe´s last blog ..The PoladroidMy ComLuv Profile

3 Richella at Imparting Grace August 2, 2011 at 9:27 am

Glue dots sound like a good idea, especially since your wall already has marks from the double-sided tape. You might also want to add tiny nails in the corners or along the outside edges of your giant square, just to give the whole big thing some more stability. Or you could create a giant frame from pieces of molding, kind of like you’d frame a bathroom mirror. Maybe Mirror Mates would want you to try their product for this application!
Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..Grace Imparted 3My ComLuv Profile

4 Amy Bayliss August 2, 2011 at 9:58 am

Kimba, I did the same thing!! The foam tape will not stick to that cork no matter what. After a few fails I finally found a solution that worked for us. I hot glued them bad boys (the cork that is) to a thick white poster board. I think they might even be called foam board. I was able to make a crazy design with it too and what I love most is I can move it around if I get tired of it being in that location.

I so have to post about it now. I had forgotten all about it.
Amy Bayliss´s last blog ..Altered Composition Notebooks, Journal, Scrapbooks – Book CoverMy ComLuv Profile

5 Allison H August 2, 2011 at 10:12 am

I put mine up with small finishing nails, they have been in their current place for 4 years and in our apartment previous to that. We haven’t had any issues. Just be careful to not place it too close to the corner or it could tear out some.

6 tina August 2, 2011 at 10:26 am

i had the same problem years ago….i think i may have even tried to hot glue the cork to the foamie things, to no avail. finally, i was left with no cork on the wall, just the sticky foam things that stayed like they were clinging for dear life. they wouldn’t come off for anything….scraping, pulling, washing, etc. i think i finally had to sand them off….ugh.

7 Nellie August 2, 2011 at 11:41 am

Hi Kimba,
Sorry about your cork wall, know that is always disappointing when you put a lot of work into something and then have it fall apart!
Hope the glue dots work well……………..
Hope you are doing well…………and hope your vacation was lovely,
Blessings, Nellie

8 Rachel August 2, 2011 at 11:58 am

Oh! I meant to comment on that before. I tried that using the foam squares (that come with the cork squares) and had the same problem – stuck to the wall but not the cork. I’m planning on finding some lightweight board or something that I can mount them to and probably going to spruce it up a bit with some fabric covering or something.
Rachel´s last blog ..Missing The Good Ol’ DaysMy ComLuv Profile

9 Lorarian89 August 2, 2011 at 12:04 pm

ohhh no….. ! I suggest you to try super glue, I know it works great on cork….

10 Lorarian89 August 2, 2011 at 12:09 pm

ohh sorry, don’t try super glue… it’s really bad for your wall…oopsi….:/
Lorarian89´s last blog ..דיוור אלקטרוני/ ניוזלטרMy ComLuv Profile

11 Yvonne @ StoneGable August 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Oooops! I like the idea of “booger” dots better anyway. The name makes me giggle. I was a teacher for years and it is amazing where I would find the real deal! Love the cork board wall idea!
Yvonne

12 sara @ it's good to be queen August 2, 2011 at 2:13 pm

we had a cork wall in our boys’ room at our old house. it kept falling down or the corners would pull away. my husband eventually had to use small nails and nail it to the wall. just an fyi. :)
sara @ it’s good to be queen´s last blog ..instafridayMy ComLuv Profile

13 jeannotfromcleveland August 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm

This is too funny, I had just done this myself last week. I bought a few squares from the local dollarstore, put them up and then went out shopping. I came home to a mess just like yours. I cleaned it all up and put them back up with sticky tack, that blue stretchy stuff teachers use in class rooms. My daughter had a big chunk her teacher had given her. My squares have stayed up now a week. One thing I did find, the cork squares are not thick enough to use tacks to hang items up.

14 Patti G August 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I have three frames hanging in my bathroom that I hung with the same stuff. Same story – they stuck forever…….then one fell, but the tabs were stuck to the frame, not the wall.
I’ve replaced the sticky tabs 3 times and this ONE picture will only stay up for maybe 30 minutes. The other two have been up for over 6 months!
Go figure….
Patti G´s last blog ..Words Escape Me…..My ComLuv Profile

15 Shelly August 2, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I was thinking about Velcro… you could move the squares around, especially if you painted them. Of course it would probably make a mess of the walls. If the Velcro sticks to the walls (without harming them), you could use colored staples to attach the “mate” that goes on the cork. Even color your own staples with a permanent marker or alcohol inks. :)

16 Tracey August 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Just two of the reasons I adore you 1) Transparency 2) Booger dots
Tracey´s last blog ..Favor On Your LifeMy ComLuv Profile

17 Annie Wilcox Designs August 2, 2011 at 8:26 pm

I have used the foamy stuff that comes with the cork squares and had the same problem. I tacked them down with nails and seemed to hold. Thanks for sharing.

18 grannyann August 2, 2011 at 8:30 pm

I think I might try a frame of molding and hope it will hold the outer squares enough they won’t let the inner ones fall.
grannyann´s last blog ..HOW TO READ BAR CODES…(very good to know)]My ComLuv Profile

19 Susan Sutherlin August 3, 2011 at 11:39 am

Sorry the cork wall did not work out for you. If it helps, I’ve actually mounted cork onto foam core and then placed in a frame and it has seemed to work out great.

Wish you the best, keep the great ideas coming.

Susan

20 Kimberly August 3, 2011 at 6:22 pm

The same thing happened to me!

I tried more tape, and then nails, and finally gave up and purchased a ginarmous (4 x4, I think) for the wall. It works great!

Great blog! Thanks!

21 Sharla August 3, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I made a corkboard for my daughter’s room using the cork squares. We painted them a checkerboard pattern and then attached them using the 2-sided foam tape as well as upholstery tacks in each corner of the squares. It turned out great and has lasted 4 years. We just took it down this week to repaint her room. The cork squares were easy to remove, but the tape was a pain to get down. Best of luck finding a solution. Love your blog!

22 sarah August 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm

just to share I did this in my craft room a couple years ago. Not only did they fall off, but I had to push the pins in so hard to get anything to stay that it left tons of holes in the wall behind it :( HOpe you find a solution!

23 Karen James August 5, 2011 at 3:55 am

When I was putting up cork squares I had a similar problem and I used super glue to get round it. I stuck the bits of foam tape to the wall as normal and then super glued the cork to the tape and it worked perfectly.
Karen James´s last blog ..Eureka Copper Canyon 1512 12 Person Family TentMy ComLuv Profile

24 Jenna August 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Ladies and gentelmen i give you Command Strips picture hangers…

I have used these little beauties to hang picture frames in my rental and they work like a charm. Think REALLY strong velcro. They are super heavy duty, not visible from the front, and leave no trace on the wall. I got mine at Home Depot!

25 Suzana August 7, 2011 at 10:32 am

OMG! So wish you posted this a month earlier! I had the same problem! Now I have those stupid white things on my wall. I am so mad about this product. Wish I kept product info, I would so write an angry letter to them. It just does not work and now I have extra work removing the stuff off my wall, damaging the wall… so annoying!

26 Kat August 14, 2011 at 1:17 am

We have a rental and my son is at the age where posters are important. I had tried the yellow putty stuff and the tacky foam in previous places we’ve been and remember discoloration and difficult to remove foam. Really not relishing the idea of maintenance after we remove posters this time. Was thinking about trying the booger dots (love the name) this go around. Have you seen any problems to walls after removing them?