Homemade Bubbles: So Easy to DIY

by Kimba on August 10, 2011

in Crafty Stuff,Stuff with the Kids

We’re squeezing the last drops out of summer here. I get misty just thinking about school starting in 2 weeks. The kids have been asking to cross “Make Homemade Bubbles” off of our summer list for weeks and we finally had a free evening to do it.

There are numerous recipes for homemade bubbles out there and most of them use different combinations of dishwashing soap, water and light corn syrup or glycerin. This was a last minute project so I chose a recipe that uses corn syrup since that’s what I had in the house.

Here’s the simple recipe:

• 4 cups water
  • 1 cup dishwashing liquid (I used Palmolive but another brand would be fine)
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup

Pour all of your ingredients into a container and gently mix, stir or shake. Let the mixture set for a little while (we let it rest for about 2 hours).

That’s it! You’re ready to blow big, beautiful bubbles. Sooooo much better than the store-bought stuff. We poured some of the mix into a tupperware container for the little bubble wands and into a cookie sheet with sides for the big wands. We bought those big bubble wands in the Dollar Spot a Target last year and they’re always a big hit.

But, let me warn you…Bubbles are a kid magnet. Within minutes of starting our bubble fun, we had 10 neighborhood kids in our yard. Make sure you have extra wands!

Check out Sparkle Power if you’re looking for a bubble recipe using glycerin.

And check out The Adventure of Motherhood and Momtastic for tips on making your own bubble wands!

1 Deidra August 10, 2011 at 10:17 am

Back in “the olden days” my mom taught my sister and me to mix up some soap and water and blow bubbles through an empty spool of thread. Fun times! I still smile whenever I see bubbles.

2 Leighann August 10, 2011 at 11:44 am

Two weeks until school starts? Oh crap. I better get on the ball.

3 Shannon August 10, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Sweet! This is one of the few home activities left on our summer list so we’ll be doing this tomorrow. Thanks, Kimba!

4 Chrissy August 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm

We start school on Tuesday. We’ll be making these bubbles tonight! Thanks!
Chrissy´s last blog ..Feet & Stick ArtMy ComLuv Profile

5 the domestic fringe August 10, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Super fun! Thanks for recipe. I’m definitely trying it. We saw the Bubble Man at the library this week and he actually put a kid in a bubble. It was a big one! ;-) Love summer.

-FringeGIrl

6 Susie August 10, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Those bubbles look amazing. I hope they are as awesome as Gymboree’s. I definitely am sad about summer ending, too.

7 *^_^* August 11, 2011 at 12:09 am

Nice post! Nice pics!
Wonderful!

8 Bloggymom August 11, 2011 at 11:35 am

So much fun!! We haven’t done bubbles in a long time (Kiddo thinks he is too old).
Bloggymom´s last blog ..Surprise RainbowMy ComLuv Profile

9 Lynn from For Love or Funny August 12, 2011 at 7:11 am

I must admit that I like blowing bubbles more than my kids do!!
Lynn from For Love or Funny´s last blog ..My life of crime (or why my jail clothes are pink)My ComLuv Profile

10 Jakabock August 12, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I dont know what it is about bubbles… but its nostalgic for just about everyone. I remember riding around on my bike when I was young with the kids from the neighborhood. Everyone had some sort of bubble maker and we would just circle around each other…. its so simple, but I remember it being great! If I were to have kids, I would try to ensure they had some epic bubble memories for when they were older!

11 Kristin August 13, 2011 at 9:18 am

Bubbles are just one of those summer activities everyone just loves! I enjoyed blowing bubbles as a kid and now that I’m an adult, I still couldn’t resist them!
Kristin´s last blog ..Er min proteinpulver dosering god nok?My ComLuv Profile

12 Lorarian89 August 15, 2011 at 2:31 am

Seems so much fun :) I’m sure you all had a blast!
Lorarian89´s last blog ..lip plumperMy ComLuv Profile

13 Alan August 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Wow, those bubbles do look much larger than the store-bought kind. Where do you purchase the wands? I’m definitely going to try this out with my kids this weekend. : )
Alan´s last blog ..Hitachi RB24EAP Handheld Gas Blower ReviewMy ComLuv Profile

14 Jo August 18, 2011 at 6:12 am

Adding corn syrup or glycerol is new to me – always used dishwashing soap with water w/o anything else, but something were missing, now i know what! Thank you for the recipe, will definitely try this one
Jo´s last blog ..Indoor GardeningMy ComLuv Profile