For the Love of Hobby Lobby

by Kimba on August 12, 2011

in Crafty Stuff

For years, I have envied all of you who have easy access to your beloved Hobby Lobby. I’ve watched longingly as you’ve browsed her aisles of picture frames, mirrors and artwork. I’ve drooled a bit seeing you snap up her throw pillows, serving trays and Christmas ornaments. And don’t even get me started on the craft supplies, fabric and yarn.

But envy no more!!! Are those angels singing????

Attention all my Southwest PA girls!!!! Pittsburgh is getting a Hobby Lobby!!!!! For you locals, it’s apparently going into the old Giant Eagle on Steubenville Pike in Robinson Township and is scheduled to open sometime in the fall.

Who’s ready to come with me and delight in the vast selection of knobs, pulls and hardware? I may or may not have driven 2 hours out of my way the last time I was in Ohio to pick up some knobs for a rehabbed dresser.

How about aisles and aisle of glorious storage containers? Oh boy. I’m in trouble. Maybe I should stay away from the storage containers because then I’ll start buying more stuff to fill them up.

I’m definitely going to have to leave my credit card at home on opening day.

1 Debby August 12, 2011 at 9:12 am

YAY!! Happy for you!!
And still sad for me! ;)
I remain one of the envious ones!! I am in Jersey (just outside of Philly) and the closest one is 56 miles away! =(
But they’re creeping closer and closer so maybe someday! =)

2 bethany August 12, 2011 at 9:12 am

a hobby lobby across the street from a homegoods???! its too good to be true!!!!!!!

3 Gina August 12, 2011 at 9:13 am

Hob Lob IS awesome – I love their clearances. And they are putting out Fall decor right now…gotta love it in our 100 plus degrees days here in Austin..

4 ange August 12, 2011 at 9:13 am

I just moved and one of my requirements was that we live near a hobby lobby. It is so wonderful to go there anytime I want instead of trying to pack all my looking and drooling onto an annual trip. So happy for you…welcome to the club!
ange´s last blog ..The Living Room a work in progressMy ComLuv Profile

5 Donna August 12, 2011 at 9:35 am

I too LOVE Hobby Lobby…ours opened in February of this year…it’s funny how my car just seems to head in that direction every time I leave the house…the ladies in the sewing department know me by my first name…

…our Hob Lob has started putting out the Christmas items…little early for me…but it does give me some great ideas…thank goodness for their 40% off coupons they have every other week…I save those weeks to buy my big ticket items I’ve been drooling over…

Donna
Tinglelaneprimitives.blogspot.com
Donna´s last blog ..Roosters and/or Chickens?….My ComLuv Profile

6 Andrea August 12, 2011 at 9:39 am

I’m happy for you but at the same time totally jealous;) Seattle doesn’t have a Hobby Lobby or Homegoods anywhere close to us:(

7 Shannon August 16, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Andrea – there is supposed to be one going into the old Joe’s Sports building on Hgwy. 99, in the same complex as Trader Joe’s! Not sure when its slated to open but I cannot wait & nearly squeeled when I read it!!!

8 Andrea August 16, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Shannon,

Are you serious!!! I am so excited! I have been pining over a Hobby Lobby for years (ever since I started reading blogs and heard about them). Thank you for the awesome news:)

9 Shannon August 17, 2011 at 10:21 am

You bet! No details on an opening date but they have the store listed on their website so its really going to happen. :) :)

10 Lou Cinda August 12, 2011 at 9:41 am

Congrats!! Of course….it can be your downfall….can’t stay out of there and spend too much money! Some days I tell myself I am just going to run in there on my lunch hour and just “look”…..yeah right!!!

Have fun!

Lou Cinda :)

11 Sarah August 12, 2011 at 9:42 am

Oh this makes me have hope they come to the Philly area at some point. Great store with amazing values (both internally and on the shelves).
Sarah´s last blog ..Chaos and Shambles!My ComLuv Profile

12 Brooke @ Inside-Out Design August 12, 2011 at 9:52 am

How awesome for you! I love Hobby Lobby! I ran there last night after I found out their knobs were 50% off this week…I finally got some new knobs for a console table I painted a couple weeks ago. Happy shopping to you!

13 Chrissy August 12, 2011 at 10:01 am

I love Hobby Lobby! Taking the kids with me is the way I keep myself from spending too much time and money there. HB is a dangerous place when I’m on my own!
Chrissy´s last blog ..My Youngest BabyMy ComLuv Profile

14 Suzan August 12, 2011 at 10:07 am

We got one here in my part of Pennsylvania about a year ago. I swear I heard angels singing the first time I went into the store. And, yes, do not take along a credit card when you go. There is just so much there to tempt you!! :)
Suzan´s last blog ..I heart MacroMy ComLuv Profile

15 Deidre August 12, 2011 at 10:17 am

Woo Hoo! Thanks for the great news. I am 25 minutes from Robinson.

16 Rachel August 12, 2011 at 10:33 am

Yay! I wondered when something was going to move into that building. Let us know if you find out when the opening is!
Rachel´s last blog ..August: Cobwebs and AllMy ComLuv Profile

17 Brandy E. August 12, 2011 at 11:26 am

I have to admit that I have a Hobby Lobby within walking distance but I rarely go there. I tend to only stop in when I need something specific like tie dye supplies, so I’ve never actually browsed the store. The last time I made an emergency run there they let me use the coupon I pulled up on my smartphone though, which is awesome. :)

18 amanda August 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm

we just had one open about 15 mins away from the house and I tend to visit that area a little more now. I love it! I cant wait till the holidays

19 April was in CT now CA August 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I’ll never forget the first time I saw a Hobby Lobby and had a fit declaring to my hubby we just HAD to go soon. Without missing a beat he replied “If you wanna go to Hobby Lobby you better get a jobby jobby.” HAHA

We don’t live near one now and I sure do miss browsing around and their great selection!

20 mum of all trades August 12, 2011 at 1:06 pm

You folks in the USA don’t know how lucky you all are to have all of those fab shops! I really, really need a shopping expedition over there!
mum of all trades´s last blog ..Oh No, I’m turning Into An Irish Mammy!My ComLuv Profile

21 Talia August 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm

Pgh is home to me. I am now living in OH and jealous you have a Hobby Lobby. Oh, well! I guess a trip home is in my immediate future.

22 Aimee August 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm

We are also getting a Hobby Lobby in our town in September. I was so excited when I found out! The closest one is about an hour away, but now I need to save money for when it opens or I might go broke!

23 Lori F. August 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Yay! Now I will have another place to go when I make trips out to the Market District! It’s about 25 mins. for me to get out there so I like to make the trip worthwhile. I plan on making a trip out there in a couple of weeks, after school starts. I’ll have to check on the progress.

24 Amanda @ Serenity Now August 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm

So happy for you! I was just giddy on our opening day. :)

25 Heathahlee August 12, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I am so happy for you!!! I think having to drive 35 minutes is tough…I can’t imagine not having one ANYWHERES near me. Oh, wait, yes I can. We no longer have an Old Time Pottery. Sigh…. Anyway, I’ve been lobbying (no pun intended) for both HL and OTP to come to North Mississippi, but so far, nothin’.

Have fun, girl. : )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..My New Craft Room! Part 3My ComLuv Profile

26 Heathahlee August 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm

And that would be ANYWHERE…not anyWHERES. I really don’t talk like that. *snicker*
Heathahlee´s last blog ..My New Craft Room! Part 3My ComLuv Profile

27 Sandra August 12, 2011 at 7:39 pm

You’re gonna love Hobby Lobby! Oh especially when they have Christmas goodies!
Blessings,
Sandra
Sandra´s last blog ..Is it Wine O’clock?My ComLuv Profile

28 Christina August 12, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Oh you will have SO much fun!
I’m glad you’re finally getting one, I love me some Hobby Lobby !
xoxo

29 a woman who is August 12, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Oh no, you won’t be so envious when it actually hits your town! LOL It took me a week to make my way through the crowed aisles. I really can not do the whole store at once. Ours opened last fall and I still haven’t even touched the craft, fabric or art supply section. It is ridiculous. I found their Christmas selection amazing. The frame shop is the best price in town…and don’t even get me started on their home decor. Have fun!
a woman who is´s last blog ..A Three Hour DriveMy ComLuv Profile

30 Danielle August 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Yay. This makes me so happy! Another destination to visit in Pittsburgh!

31 angie August 13, 2011 at 12:36 am

I just read about this about a month ago. Before I went on vacation, i decided to look up where the closest Hobby Lobby would be to where we were staying. (Sad, I know…) I couldn’t believe it when i saw one was coming to pittsburgh!! now i can go to ikea, garden ridge, and hobby lobby all in the same trip. woo hoo! :)

32 Paula August 13, 2011 at 7:11 am

I’ve never had the opportunity to go in a Hobby Lobby. I’ll bet you’ll be one of the first customers when your new one opens.
Paula´s last blog ..Fitness Friday :: Week Twenty (Kitchen Triceps Work)My ComLuv Profile

33 Jenny August 13, 2011 at 9:56 am

After reading this blog, I feel envy to myself for being so faraway to Hobby Lobby. I want those containers so so so much now!!!!

34 Julianna August 13, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Congrats on the new Hobby Lobby — I am jealous!

Any idea when you’ll be posting the winner for the Black and Decker steam mop giveaway?

35 Rachel August 13, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Oh you make me feel so guilty! I have three Hobby Lobbies within short driving distance, but I do live in Oklahoma where Hobby Lobby originated. They have tons of stuff and fantastic prices too! You’ll catch yourself driving over there just to walk around and look.

36 Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D August 13, 2011 at 7:36 pm

‘m soo excited for you!
You’ve been there before, but now that you will be a “regular,” here are some tips for shopping at HobLob. You know, so you can get the most back for your buck.

Check their website before you go.

1. Each week there are 50% off sales in various departments. If the dept you need isn’t on sale that week, wait a week. Chances are good it will go on sale.

2. Check the website coupon. Many week’s it’s a 40% coupon (good for 1 item in that store on that day. Tomorrow is a new day – grin.) If you really need something and it’s not the 50% off week, 40% makes a good sized dent – lol.

3. Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays. It’s a pain, but I really like the fact that they give ALL of their employees the day off to be with their families and to worship. (According to the signs on their doors.)

4. Get to know your store.
Let’s stay you don’t really have a need for a “fireman themed picture frame.” Then, one day you are invited to a party for a kid who, you guessed it, loves firemen. Maybe that week all picture frames are 50% off. But, you can’t find the firemen ones. BUT, you know your store and that they frequently display a variety of picture frames in the yarn dept – for who knows why. Off to yarn you go – and find your frame. True story. Sorta.

Enjoy!!!!!!
Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D´s last blog ..Heathy & Handy Packed Lunch Tips – For Kids & AdultsMy ComLuv Profile

37 Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D August 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Egads…
Sorry about the long-windedness.
And, all the typos.

38 Lorarian89 August 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I love Hobby Lobby so much!!!!
Lorarian89´s last blog ..שיאצו/לימודי שיאצוMy ComLuv Profile

39 Starr August 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I love that place. We live right around the corner from one, and luckily, I only have the urge to shop there on Sundays, when it is closed (fortunately AND unfortunately, right?).

Kind of like ChickFila. I always crave some nuggets and waffle fries on Sunday, too…

40 Bethany August 13, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I just saw the Hobby Lobby sign on the building last night…I got so excited I almost made my husband wreck the car from the squealing. I can hardly stand that we are getting a Homegoods and a Hobby Lobby in the same area. I never understood why we didn’t have them to begin with and Cleveland has tons of them ! I stopped at one in OH this week and they already have Xmas stuff out. BTW, the Hobby Lobby is supposed to open 9/2 and the Homegoods sometime in August. Can’t wait !!

41 Laurel August 13, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I am so excited for you. Our Hobby Lobby opened up in Lexington, Ky and it is 5 blocks from our house. I don’t even go through a stop light to get there. Hooray for you and all the crafters in Pittsburg. You will be in crafting heaven.

42 Haley August 14, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Hooraaaay! My friend and I were just saying tonight how we wished there was a Hobby Lobby in Pittsburgh. No more going to Boardman. Can’t wait!!

43 Leighann August 14, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I’m in! Let me know when you go.

44 Michelle August 15, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Thrilled that you will have a Hobby Lobby nearby to enjoy! I have to be careful when I go because I want to snatch up so many wonderful things…busting my budget!
Michelle´s last blog ..What’s The Hardest Thing You’ve Ever Done?My ComLuv Profile

45 Muthering Heights August 15, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Whoooo hoooooooo! That’s awesome! I have definitely been enjoying Hobby Lobby here in Texas…and I’m glad you can too! :)

46 Dawn Camp August 16, 2011 at 12:28 am

I’ve bookmarked their coupon code page on my phone and they let me show it for the discounts (since I never remember to print).
Dawn Camp´s last blog ..iHeartFaces: Beautiful EyesMy ComLuv Profile

47 Jenna August 16, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Glad you are getting a Hob Lob in your area. I used to work for them and I tell you that is even worse that walking in with a credit card and no one to stop you from going nuts. I will tell you Christmas, well all Holiday stuff goes out early. But the sales are great. By the time you get close to the particular holiday they generally are trying to get ready for the next holiday. So they are working on selling the items hot and heavy, so the sales are constant

48 Shannon August 16, 2011 at 6:42 pm

How exciting! Rumor has it that Seattle is getting one as well. Actually, a suburb to the north but my folks live there so that’s close enough for me! I need to start saving for a spending spree!!!!

49 Beth August 17, 2011 at 10:10 am

Just moved north of the “Big D” and there are 2 Hobby Lobby’s near me now. Definately a trouble spot for my dear hubby’s wallet!

50 Carmie of the Single Nester August 17, 2011 at 5:53 pm

There is still no Hobby Lobby in hours of me.

51 Kelli M August 18, 2011 at 12:37 am

I have never lived close to a Hobby Lobby either, and admittedly had never even heard of it until my sweet southern friends filled me in. I am moving to TN in a few weeks and will live within a few miles of one. I can’t wait to have my first Hobby Lobby experience! :)

52 Jennifer August 18, 2011 at 6:29 am

Woohoo! Looks like a Robinson trip is in my future! (Not that I really need an excuse to go there, but…..) Woot!

53 Vicki Wilson August 19, 2011 at 8:59 am

Great news for those who are near Hobby Lobby’s. I’m totally jealous but never loses hope that someday HB will open near my area. Have fun browsing HB’s great selection guys!. I remain one of the envious ones.
Vicki Wilson´s last blog ..replacement windowsMy ComLuv Profile

54 Penny August 20, 2011 at 10:55 pm

Ok…I am just soooo green right now! I am in Canada and we don’t have Hobby Lobby yet. I drive down to Saginaw, Michigan to get my fix though so at least I can go to one! But it is a weekend event for sure!
Penny´s last blog ..Friday Night Sew In ….Success!My ComLuv Profile

55 Peggy August 22, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Our Hobby Lobby doesn’t have knobs and pulls….now I feel cheated! LOL Have fun!
Peggy´s last blog ..The long awaited….My ComLuv Profile

56 Liz August 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm

LOVE Hobby Lobby! Ours is relatively new, but I think I may need help, I am addicted!
Liz´s last blog ..Meet AnnaMy ComLuv Profile

57 KJ August 25, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Thank you for the announcement! We got to my inlaws’ home in Pittsburgh every Christmas. I have always hated that I miss out on the after-Christmas sales of my hometown Hobby Lobby. I’m so glad they are getting one in Pittsburgh!

58 Lisa August 31, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Hobby Lobby is not nearly as good a Pat Catan’s. The prices are better, and the selection, other than not having a fabric section (unless that has changed. I moved from Monroeville in 2009 to Florida.), is equal. Plus, they are open on sundays. Just my opinion, but I miss Pat Catan’s.
Lisa´s last blog ..My Boob was almost on FacebookMy ComLuv Profile

59 Susie September 15, 2011 at 12:04 am

Salt Lake got one this past year. I love that place to but my wallet doesn’t. You buy the best stuff there.