320 Balloons: A Birthday Tradition

by Kimba on August 23, 2011

in Crafty Stuff,decorating,Stuff with the Kids

Hello, my friends! Yes, I am still alive. Somehow, the last couple of weeks have slipped through my fingers. I’ve been savoring the last few drops of summer and our time has been filled with bubble blowing, birthday celebrations, camping and the stuff of real life. All wonderful, if a bit overwhelming at times. Can you relate?

A few days ago, my youngest son turned 5. Did you hear that? My baby is 5!!!! (Insert sniffling and a few mama-tears.) I love fun traditions and this year, I decided to add a couple of new birthday traditions to our house.

First up? The birthday balloon wreath. This definitely isn’t an original idea. I’ve seen balloon wreaths all over the internet. I’m sure there’s a birthday balloon bandwagon out there and I’m jumping right on. Nothing screams birthday quite like balloons and we’ll be hanging this wreath up for everyone’s birthday.

Here’s what you need:

• A straw wreath (mine is 16″) – Leave the plastic on it so it doesn’t shed all over your house.
  • Balloons. Lots and lots of balloons – I used 320 of them. (5 packs of 72 from Wal-Mart)
  • U-Shaped floral pins (also called greening pins) -You can find them in the fake flower section of the craft store

The process is easy, but a bit tedious. You stick the floral pin around the middle of the balloon and push it firmly into the wreath so that it’s nice and tight.

Do that over and over and over until you think your fingers are going to fall off. It took me about an hour to do the whole thing. The trick to making this wreath look good is to use lots of balloons. The more, the better, unless you want a wimpy looking wreath. And nobody wants a wimpy birthday balloon wreath.

Also, I’ve seen tutorials that suggest using a foam wreath form instead of the straw. Let me give you a bit of advice. Don’t. After you stick that many pins into a foam wreath, it’s going to fall apart. Maybe not today, but soon. And then you’ll be left with chunks of foam and hundreds of balloons. Major bummer.

I hung our wreath in the kitchen to greet my birthday boy at breakfast.

This wreath cost about $30 to make, which is more than I would usually spend on a fun, silly little project. But I plan to put it out for every birthday, so it will be a round for a while. I’m picturing my great-big teenage boys rolling their eyes as mom hangs up the birthday wreath again. (Insert more sniffles and mom-tears.)

Stick around because I’ve got another birthday themed project for you this week!

Linking up to Tutorial Tuesday.

1 Jennifer Juniper August 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

That is so cute! I love how festive and colorful it looks – I just saw one on pinterest that had pipe cleaner cork screws sticking out of it too! Happy birthday…now quit growing, would you? Mom can’t take it :)
Jennifer Juniper´s last blog ..Tutorial Tuesday!My ComLuv Profile

2 Jennifer August 23, 2011 at 9:25 am

That is so cute! What a fantastic birthday tradition to start Kimba. Your birthday boy is so sweet! I hope he has a wonderful day! :)
Jennifer´s last blog ..no fear.My ComLuv Profile

3 Darcy@Somewhatmuddledmusings August 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

Absolutely darling!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Since our birthday crown no longer holds enough candles..this needs to be our next project!

4 mrs.mfc August 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

Your wreath looks great! I have been wanting to make one of these for SO long!! I’m so glad you posted this because it finally made me take the time to make a list of what I need to buy to get started. Yay!

5 Danielle G August 23, 2011 at 9:35 am

As long as I don’t have to blow up 320 balloons! This is a great idea and I’m stealing it! My oldest boy turns 5 in November so this will be a wonderful tradition to start.

6 Yvonne @ StoneGable August 23, 2011 at 10:00 am

Happy Birthday to your baby!
What a darling wreath to celebrate the birthday boy!
Yvonne

7 Kathy Martin August 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

That’s one cool and colorful balloon bouquet! You did a fabulous job on it! Happy Birthday to your big 5 year old guy! :)

8 Tonya August 23, 2011 at 10:35 am

I haven’t seen this balloon wreath and I LOVE it!!!

9 Diane @ kitchen-dreams August 23, 2011 at 10:52 am

So much fun! I’ve never seen one of these! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great end of the summer for you and your family!
Diane @ kitchen-dreams´s last blog ..Hydrangeas are blooming!My ComLuv Profile

10 Richella at Imparting Grace August 23, 2011 at 11:42 am

I love your Birthday Wreath, Kimba! This is the first time I’ve seen one, and I think it’s a great idea. Your boys may go through a stage of rolling their eyes, but believe me–big boys like for you to follow through with traditions like this. Even when they’re a whole lot bigger than you are.

We took Preston to college last week. It’s one thing for your oldest to go off to college, but your middle child? Oh, gosh. And my baby Lee starts high school next week. I can’t believe your baby is five. . . but if my baby is in high school, I guess I ought to believe it!
Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..Grace Imparted 6My ComLuv Profile

11 Raise Them Up August 23, 2011 at 11:51 am

I guess I’ve been living under a rock because I’ve never seen a balloon wreath before. But I love it! It seems like a wonderful birthday tradition!
Raise Them Up´s last blog ..What Shall I Cook???My ComLuv Profile

12 Lorarian89 August 23, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Wow…such a colorful idea! love it :)
Lorarian89´s last blog ..super mario bros onlineMy ComLuv Profile

13 champe-mydesignguide.com August 23, 2011 at 1:39 pm

That is beyond cute…but I can’t even imagine how long it took to make-= you go girl…

14 Heathahlee August 23, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Well, evidently I haven’t been all over the internet because this is the first one I’ve seen and it’s adorable. And I cannot believe your baby is FIVE! Of course, when I started my blog MY baby was 8…now 11. Sigh…how the time flies!
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Keychain Tassels/Purse Charm Order FormMy ComLuv Profile

15 Karen August 23, 2011 at 5:13 pm

How do you think it will hold up over time? Balloons tend to attract dust and lint. Do you think storing in an air tight bag will keep it looking bright and fresh for years to come? Curious.

16 Larissa August 23, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Wow…such a lovely idea!
Larissa´s last blog ..How to Look Natural MakeUp TipsMy ComLuv Profile

17 Cheryl August 23, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I’m going to make that for my little grandson’s – so cute! And I get the eye-rolling, the sniffles, and the mom-tears. That lasts forever!

18 Angie August 24, 2011 at 11:32 am

I made one of these about 10 years ago and we still hang it on the front door for every family member’s birthday. The kids insist. :) A word of advice though, if you hang it outside, don’t leave it out overnight. I made that mistake and the some of the balloons got brittle and cracked. Easy to fix, but not necessarily for every one! :)

19 Tom August 24, 2011 at 3:08 pm

This is sooo cute :) )) I see lots of people are going to copy this idea :) I think I will invent an idea of my own based on yours :) Thanks a lot for sharing it! :)
Tom´s last blog ..Used Tire PricesMy ComLuv Profile

20 Charlene @ Adventures In Mommy Land August 24, 2011 at 5:35 pm

LOVE this!!!

And as a mom of teenage boys…they may roll their eyes at you, but they will be thinking of how great a mom you are for blessing them with such a cute and fun tradition and they WILL miss it when you stop doing it.
Charlene @ Adventures In Mommy Land´s last blog ..Who Knew Weeds Had Such Pretty NamesMy ComLuv Profile

21 Kerri August 24, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Love it!! I have seen the wreath before, but more than the love of the wreath is the love of your new tradition!!
What a fantastic idea to bring it out every birthday…and yes, the kids will roll there eyes as they get older but be sure that they will also make mention of it, if by chance you don’t put it out one year!!

22 Heidi August 25, 2011 at 2:46 am

Who knew balloons can become wreaths? That’s very creative!

23 Jennifer August 26, 2011 at 6:00 am

That’s really cute, and a project I think I could actually do! When I saw the title of your post I totally thought you had blown up 320 balloons and surrounded your son in his bedroom, like on Patch Adams.

24 Tracey August 28, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I have never seen this, clearly I’ve been living under some sort of rock. :) I absolutely love it and want to make my own.
Tracey´s last blog ..Favor On Your LifeMy ComLuv Profile

25 Amy at The Red Chair Blog August 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I love it! And since I’ve been living under a blog-rock, I’ve never seen one before! Why is it that all of the best projects make your fingers want to fall off?
Amy at The Red Chair Blog´s last blog ..Almost-Free Gardening–5 Great TipsMy ComLuv Profile

26 Lady August 30, 2011 at 5:55 am

I absolutely love it and want to make my own.What a fantastic birthday tradition to start Kimba. Your birthday boy is so sweet!