The Summer List Update and Homemade Fudgesicles

by Kimba on July 25, 2011

in In the Kitchen,Stuff with the Kids

Summer has been zipping right along here at Casa Kimba. I can hardly believe it’s the end of July! Didn’t summer seem to last forever when you were a kid?

We’ve been steadily crossing things off our 2011 Summer List. There’s been plenty of painting, gardening, reading, swimming and our gigantic 4th of July party. But I can’t take all of the credit for working through the list. A couple of sleepovers with the Grandmas meant a few things got checked off that I wasn’t involved in. Thanks Grandma!

This Summer List tradition has become so precious to our family because it forces us to be more deliberate with how we spend out time.

A couple of days ago, we decided it was time to cross off “make popsicles”. But I didn’t want to make any old popsicles. I wanted to make homemade fudgesicles. YUM! I saw this recipe on Smitten Kitchen back in June and knew it was exactly what we needed. These rich, creamy, cool and sweet treats did not disappoint!

Homemade Fudge Popsicles

Makes about 4 regular-sized popsicles (3 ounces) or about 5 in my tiny popsicle molds (which are 2 ounces each). I doubled the recipe and made 8 in the popsicle mold with extra to freeze in a little bowl for myself.

• 2 tablespoons (3/4 ounce) semisweet chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate
  • 1/3 cup (2 1/3 ounce) sugar
  • 1 tablespoon (1/4 ounce) cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons (1/4 ounce) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 cups whole milk
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tablespoon (1/4 ounce) unsalted butter

In a medium the bottom of a medium saucepan over very low heat, gently melt the chocolate chips, stirring constantly until smooth. Stir in sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, milk and salt and raise heat to medium. Cook mixture, stirring frequently until it thickens, anywhere between 5 minutes and 10 . Remove from heat, add vanilla and butter and stir until combined.

Set aside to cool slightly then pour into popsicle molds. Freeze. If you’re using regular popsicle sticks (instead of the lids), freeze the mixture in the molds for 30 minutes then add the sticks.

One tip for you…

My tiny molds were perfect for these fudge popsicles. They’re very rich, so the 2 oz size was just enough. I won my popsicle molds playing bingo at the family reunion, but you can find a similar set here on Amazon for less than $6.

Have you made a sweet summer treats? Definitely try these incredible fudgesicles. You won’t regret it. Although they may spoil you for the store-bought version.

1 Katie July 25, 2011 at 9:47 am

Thank you for the recipe! I usually taking the yogurt and adding a little grated chocolate, and frozen in special small forms. But yours…..
We will do it tomorrow with my sister and our children. Thank you very much!
Katie´s last blog ..rifle accessories/guns accessories/m4 accessories/gun accessories/My ComLuv Profile

2 Susan July 25, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Those look so fun!! And I bet they taste better than anything you could buy in the popsicle aisle.

3 tara July 25, 2011 at 1:33 pm

We’re crossing off things on our list, too! I just did my post yesterday on this very same topic! It’s so fun to make the list as a family and then cross things off one at a time!

4 Heathahlee July 25, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Yumm-o! I love me some frozen chocolate! I haven’t made any thing cool and sweet yet, but I do have the ingredients for a low-calorie, lemon icebox pie. Hmmm….might need to get on that! : )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Kids Flag Page Winner…Sort of!My ComLuv Profile

5 Jamie @ charmingly ordinary July 25, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Yum! SK is my go-to site for recipes. It seems like EVERYTHING always turns out good. Right? Anyway, I’ve been wanting to get some popsicle molds and freeze smoothies, just for a change of pace. :)

6 Home Made Modern July 25, 2011 at 11:25 pm

We made some killer strawberry popsicles earlier this summer!
Home Made Modern´s last blog ..Craft of the Week: Embroidery Hoop ArtworkMy ComLuv Profile

7 Larissa July 26, 2011 at 3:48 pm

YAMMMMM!!! that looks delish! gonna try this at home :) ))
Thanks as always!
Larissa´s last blog ..How to Look Natural MakeUp TipsMy ComLuv Profile

8 Crystal July 26, 2011 at 11:53 pm

Looks like you are having a blast! We are working on our summer list here as well! :)

9 katie July 27, 2011 at 7:42 am

Homemade Fudge looks so great and I bet my kids would love making it too!
katie´s last blog ..קבלהMy ComLuv Profile

10 Sharon {Grumpy, Sleepy, and Bashful} July 27, 2011 at 9:03 am

These sound amazing! I have popsicle molds I used like crazy last summer, and for some reason I haven’t dug them out yet this season. There’s something wrong with that! I am definitely going to dust them off and give this a try. Summer fun and summer yum!

11 Valerie M July 27, 2011 at 1:08 pm

These sound so yummy. We have been making homemade fruit bars. So far we’ve had peach, strawberry and blueberry. Next to try is Mango. SOOO yummy and healthy, too!

12 amy (mamascout) July 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

making these is on my summer list. we have been making rootbeer float pops – oh my….