My Most Excellent Sofa with It’s New Slipcover

by Kimba on July 27, 2011

in decorating,Furniture Rehab

Whenever I post pictures of my family room, I get questions about my sofa. And since I just splurged on a major update to it, I thought I’d give you all the details.

I am a firm believer in buying a high-quality, classic sofa whenever possible. Mostly because I’ve made several mistakes in that area and ended up with one sofa that literally fell apart in less than 2 years and another one that was so huge with it’s crazy, flared arms that it looked like a mini-van in my living room. I still have that beast, but it’s been relegated to the playroom where the kids can pretend it’s the space shuttle.

The main sofa in our family room was purchased at Ethan Allen over 8 years ago. It’s the Bennett Sofa and it comes in a huge array of fabrics and patterns. I love it’s classic rolled arms and loose cushions. Personally, I prefer the loose-back cushions because you can flip and rotate them to get more even wear.

We bought it when the store was having a floor sample clearance sale, so it was a great deal. But I can honestly tell you that I have never been happier with a furniture purchase. After 8 years, the cushions still look like new and it’s structurally perfect. The fabric was starting to fade and wear, but I think that’s to be expected with 2 boys, 1 man and lots of daily abuse.

Here’s what it looked like a few weeks ago…Your basic olive green color.

But one of the best things about this sofa is that you can buy a custom slipcover for a very reasonable (in my opinion) price. (It was about $350 on sale.) It’s one of main reasons I picked out this sofa 8. long. years. ago. Even then,
I knew I would want to slipcover it someday. Little did I know it would take me 8. long. years. to do it.

But now, I’m so excited I could squeal! In fact, I did squeal.

The brown and cream ticking stripes work so perfectly with the natural colors in room already. But it’s still neutral enough to pair up with lots of other colors. I briefly toyed with buying a white slipcover, but I learned that I’m not a white fabric girl back when I was picking out new bedding.

I love being able to take off the slipcover and wash it every once in a while. And since it’s custom-made for this sofa, it fits like a glove. No flopping around and constant straightening.

So there you go. The Big Sofa Update 2011. There’s still plenty of cush for my tush, so I’m hoping we can get another 8 years out of it.

Of course now, I’m looking around the room at all of the things that I can change since the sofa has a fresh new look. It’s a sickness.

1 Lou Cinda July 27, 2011 at 9:19 am

It looks FABULOUS Kimba!! And I so know the importance of getting a GOOD sofa! I bought one less than a year ago, and it is shot! It was an Ashley sofa, and I will NEVER buy another Ahley product! EVER! I am trying to decide now whether to just chunk it and get another one….or take the cushions and have them re-stuffed with the good stuff!

Love the ticking fabric!!

Lou Cinda :)

2 Janet July 27, 2011 at 9:23 am

Oh my — what a beautiful sofa then and now!! Love your slipcover!

Janet

3 Jenn July 27, 2011 at 9:24 am

Kimba, where did you buy your slipcover, through Ethan Allen?? Because I have that same sofa and have wanted to get a slipcover, but I called and asked them and they said they didn’t sell them?? Can you pick from a variety of fabrics or just the one? Any info you could give me would be SO appreciated. Thanks!
p.s. I love the sofa too. Super comfortable and stylish.

4 Richella at Imparting Grace July 27, 2011 at 9:25 am

It’s not a sickness, Kimba. . . but it IS contagious! :)

I love your new slipcover, and I would echo your thoughts about investing in a good sofa. I once bought a sofa which had upholstery I really liked and seemed to be a great buy. Well, it was CHEAP, but it was NOT a great buy. Turned out it was never comfortable to sit on, the back cushions squished down to nothingness almost immediately, and the seat is only sort of comfortable with a piece of plywood underneath the cushions to provide some support. Cheap, yes; good bargain, no.

It’ll be fun to see what else you do in this room!

5 Claudia July 27, 2011 at 9:35 am

It looks wonderful, I love the neutral color and the stripes!

6 Ashley July 27, 2011 at 9:39 am

What a great idea! I have a sad looking sofa in desperate need of a slipcover, but I hate the ones that never seem to fit correctly and just scream, “I’m a slipcover!!” I’ll definitely be on the lookout for something like yours next time around!

7 Susan Sutherlin July 27, 2011 at 10:49 am

It looks fan-tab-ulous, great job!

Susan

8 Leigh Turner July 27, 2011 at 11:50 am

Love it! We are in the hunt right now, and slip covered is my top priority, and I am VERY on the fence about white…I just don’t know if I can do it.

9 Michele July 27, 2011 at 11:53 am

It looks beautiful! I agree about purchasing a good sofa. We purchased a beautiful Ethan Allen sofa 10 years ago, but I relegated it to the basement because of the floral pattern. It really is the softest couch I’ve ever sat on. (I really should have bought a solid pattern!) Three years ago, we bought an Ashley sectional and while it doesn’t look terrible, it’s not the best quality either. The cushions come out every time you stand and I’m constantly fixing and arranging those cusions. It drives me nuts!!

10 Michele July 27, 2011 at 11:56 am

Jenn, shame on that EA customer service rep!! I found info on ordering a slipcover on the EA website. Here it is:

11 Katie July 27, 2011 at 3:31 pm

It is not a sickness!!!!!! You are great! I am with you from the bottom of my heart! And thank you for sharing!
Katie´s last blog ..קבלה לעםMy ComLuv Profile

12 Sharon {Grumpy, Sleepy, and Bashful} July 27, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I’m jealous. I do love my couch, but it is a very safe, and sometimes boring color of caramel/beige/brown. It is super comfortable, but it is a sectional, and therefore not slipcover-able. Whooohooo for you! Beautiful!

13 Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D July 27, 2011 at 4:26 pm

What a great sofa – and slipcover.

We recently purchased a large ottoman from Ikea…and it took us over an hour to pick the one we wanted. The 3 of us sat on it, pretended to lay our dinner places on it, pretended we were cats laying on it – just being real here…

We finally chose one that was large enough, had storage, would clean easily, and had lots of slipcover options available – including leather. (We went with a cheaper cover for right now, though.)

Thanks for sharing your sofa!
Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D´s last blog ..Foods to Help Stay Cool in Summer Southwest Chicken Salad recipeMy ComLuv Profile

14 Teri July 27, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Love it! I so understand the train of thought of revamping on thing in your home and it steamrolls. I bought 4 chairs at a garage sale & they’ve been sitting outside on the backporch. I stared at them long enough to realize that the posts of the porch needed painting, So I painted them white. Started on the chairs, decided the yellow would look good on the posts too. So I detailed the posts too. Husband wanted a third color added, so I detailed some more. Painted a shelf with Krylon’s Italian Olive and decided a side chair at the end of the picnic table would look good in that color too. It steamrolled on me. Now I’m doing a stand and a side table in olive color because I love it so much. The chairs? Still sitting on the back porch, painted but not sure if I want to destress them or not.

15 Christina July 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Looks awesome!

16 Lorarian89 July 28, 2011 at 4:09 am

I think your sofa is much prettier with its new cover :) It gives it a warm vintage schick :)
Lorarian89´s last blog ..שליחת SMSMy ComLuv Profile

17 the domestic fringe July 28, 2011 at 10:54 am

Great sofa! Love the slipcover. I really, really want to invest in a new couch. Hopefully before next summer. We’ll see. :-)
-FringeGirl
the domestic fringe´s last blog ..Summer Camp ~ History in the MakingMy ComLuv Profile

18 Carol July 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm

“It’s a sickness”!!! LOL! I have the same sickness! You were a smart cookie buying a sofa that was standard and could be slipcovered!! I have denim ones that although I love…..I’m stuck with!! Next time I’m going the route that YOU did!!
Carol´s last blog ..~I Know It’s Been A While…~My ComLuv Profile

19 offset printing July 28, 2011 at 8:38 pm

Oh I think you made a great selection of sofa. It looks so comfy and very cool. I think sofa should last for years too. This is great.

20 courtney July 29, 2011 at 2:14 am

we had a wonderful ikea couch with the custom cover…oh how I loved being able to wash it and have a new couch again! but the other half said no to the loveseat. 4 kids, a chocolate lab and the 2 of us no longer fit on 1 couch. and the nerve…no ikea in Hawaii. so we have leather now, I do love the ease, but I miss my old couch!!

21 Jane July 29, 2011 at 8:53 am

Your sofa looks fabulous with the new striped slipcover! Slipcovers are awesome. They give you the option of redecorating without spending a fortune on a new piece. The best thing about them is you can pull them off and throw them in the wash when needed.

Jane
frugalfineliving.com
Join us on Facebook!

22 Starr August 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm

I love custom slipcovers. They can be expensive, but the fact you can change the look of your furniture in just a few minutes makes them so well worth it.

23 Diane August 3, 2011 at 7:39 pm

That is so crazy! I have that exact same couch (only I was dumb and purchased it in a “dry clean only” fabric) and I’m making a slip cover for it right now!

Wish I had thought about looking to see if Ethan Allen had slipcovers for it.
Diane´s last blog ..Cleaning Like a Race HorseMy ComLuv Profile

24 Tracy Monroy August 5, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I really like the striped fabric you chose. Homey, yet warm! Was the slip cover hard to do?