Crafty Stuff with the Kids

by Kimba on July 20, 2011

in Crafty Stuff

Hello sweet friends! I hope you’re all having wonderful, relaxing summers. I can’t exactly say ours has been relaxing, but it’s been fun.

I’ve been neck-deep in kid’s crafty stuff since I was helping in our VBS craft tent all last week. And summertime is always crafty-time around here. Since I have kid’s crafts on the brain right now, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite finds in case you need some inspiration to bust out the construction paper, popsicle sticks and white glue.

I am completely smitten with these Paper Plate Tropical Fish at Makes and Takes. Adorable!

I love these ideas for Beach Art at Artful Adventures. Perfect if you’re heading to the shore, or even just the sandbox.

I have a gigantic box of oyster shells from last summer’s beach trip. We’ll be making a version of Martha’s Shell Wind Chimes next week.

Love this idea for Custom Bleached Shirts from Under the Sycamore!

I love crafts that use things I have laying around the house. My kids are going to love making these Rock Necklaces from Little Birdie Secrets!

Speaking of things I already have around the house…Tin Can Lanterns from mamascout are fun and easy.

We’re definitely going to try Black Magic Art from Eighteen25.

And if you’re looking for crafty-goodness overload, then The Long Thread has compiled a fantastic list of 50 Summer Crafts for Kids.

Have you done any fun crafts this summer?

1 Charlene@Adventures In Mommy Land July 20, 2011 at 10:44 am

I love those paper plate fish…so cute. Definitely have to make those with my little guys.
Charlene@Adventures In Mommy Land´s last blog ..Moms That Blog (The Interviews)My ComLuv Profile

2 Brown Eyed Girl July 20, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Hmm…I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure I spy a few potential next year’s VBS crafts. Just a hunch… =) I am liking, in particular, the rock necklaces and the squirt-gun bleached t-shirts…

3 Kimba July 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Those were the two I was thinking about too. I also love the tin can lanterns, but I’d worry about that many kids with hammers. So cheap and easy though!

4 Mary Beth|cupcakes and crinoline July 20, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Thanks for the great ideas….my older boys are done with crafts but my little guy loves to make ‘stuff’. : )
Mary Beth|cupcakes and crinoline´s last blog ..Vintage AdvertisementsMy ComLuv Profile

5 Susan @ Busy Home Adventures July 20, 2011 at 3:24 pm

What a fun list! My favorite project is the fish plates. They look so fun!

My almost 4-yo has spent the last few months working on his oatmeal can drum. He has been using glitter paint on it, a little each day. It looks like a Jackson Polluck museum piece now. He’s not interested in anything else!

6 Ms Sharealot July 20, 2011 at 9:46 pm

Thank you, thank you for the list!

We’ve done a lot of cooking, but not so much crafting, so the list will be helpful!
Ms Sharealot´s last blog ..Over the Baby BluesMy ComLuv Profile

7 Lindsay@ A Design Story July 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

LOVE the wind chime idea… I may have to do a few of these crafts with my neices and nephews before they go back to school! Thanks Kimba!

8 amy (mamascout) July 21, 2011 at 4:56 pm

hi! thanks so much for mentioning mamascout and the tin can lanterns! i am enjoying looking through your site – so much goodness!

i am not sure what age you have for vbs – but 2 tricks that make this easier for 5 and ups are to use sharp nails (like roofing nails) and use a towel underneath to keep the can from rolling around.

9 Layla July 30, 2011 at 10:40 am

Love the fish plates,great idea!

10 yaniv August 15, 2011 at 12:16 pm

i mustly liked the fish its combined with painting and paper plate it can occupy my kids thanks
yaniv´s last blog ..Selecting the 3 room tent for your needsMy ComLuv Profile

11 Mickey Reyes August 21, 2011 at 3:26 am

great crafts for kids! i bet my kids would love to learn about this.. i really love to expose them to art so to enhance their creativity
Mickey Reyes´s last blog ..List Of Great Movies to WatchMy ComLuv Profile