Summer Nostalgia

by Kimba on June 2, 2011

in Favorite Things,In the Kitchen

When I was a kid, there was no bigger treat than the Coke ICEE. Just thinking about it now takes me back to being 9 or 10 years old. They sold them at a little shop in the mall (that also sold fried fish for take out – weird) and it was such a huge treat to sip one in the summer heat.

I actually squealed yesterday when I saw Bridget’s post on how to make a Coke ICEE at home! (Thanks to Amy’s Notebook for sharing the link.)

You just use an ice cream maker and some cold Coke to whip up your own delicious slushy. Check out the post at Bake at 350 for the simple how-to.

But here’s my dilemma. I don’t have an ice cream maker and I’m generally opposed to single-purpose appliances like ice cream makers. But I want to do this so badly that I’m thinking about cashing in some of my Swagbucks on an Amazon gift card and snapping up this Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.

If you don’t already use Swagbucks, it’s a way to search the internet (instead of Google or Yahoo) that lets you earn “bucks” or points that can be redeemed for free stuff like gift cards. I always use my Swagbucks to snag Amazon gift cards.

You’ll want to download the toolbar so it’s easy to use Swagbucks all the time. You’ll slowly earn points that you can redeem for gift cards. You can earn more Swagbucks fast if you tell all your friends and get them to sign up under your referral code. Then you earn from their searches too! Over the last 1-1/2 years, I’ve earned nearly $500 in Amazon gift cards just from searching with Swagbucks.

So back to the Coke ICEE/Ice Cream Maker thing…Tell me what you think. Do you have an ice cream maker? Do you use it? Is it worth the money? Should I just go find a take-out fried fish store and buy an ICEE?

1 Marion June 2, 2011 at 9:28 am

I don’t have an ice cream maker, it’s seems big, takes up a lot of space, and, like you, I don’t like things that only have one use.

Having said that, there are about three times a year when I read a recipe and it calls for making your own ice cream, like lavender ice cream! Then I imagine myself making ice cream all summer long…

But, most likely, I’d end up cursing the ice would the ice cream maker as it collected dust.

2 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:30 am

That’s exactly my fear. That it would sit on a shelf collecting dust and I would sell it at a garage sale next summer for $2.00.

But I also have romantic visions of making delicious treats with my kids all summer.

3 Jaime Brown June 2, 2011 at 9:31 am

I love my Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker!! I am just like you…I hate having extra appliances around. But, my kids love making ice cream and it’s so easy since you freeze the bowl. I need to get a second bowl for when we have company! I am so gonna try the frozen coke this weekend! GO GET ONE!!!

4 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:34 am

Jaime!!!! You may have just pushed me over the edge. Do you have to use salt in the machine, or do you just freeze the bowl?

5 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:36 am

Duh. Never mind. Just read the Amazon listing and you DON’T need salt! That makes it even better!

6 Jaime Brown June 2, 2011 at 9:49 am

You just freeze it. It does take a good 24 hrs to get a good freeze. The mint ice cream recipe is fabulous…but it calls for LOTS of heavy cream! So, it’s not good for you, but it is so so good :) I need to see what yogurt does in it. Healthy recipes just aren’t as fun.

7 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:58 am

Amen, sister. If I’m going to eat ice cream, I’m not going to worry about the calories. Although maybe if I did I could eat MORE! Such a dilemma.

8 Jenn A June 2, 2011 at 9:38 am

I have an old fashioned ice cream maker – I’d love to have a nice new one – but I still love making ice cream with my kids in the summer. Plus its nostalgic for me since we used to make ice cream a lot when I was a kid. Get one!

9 J.Lynne June 2, 2011 at 9:44 am

If you already have a kitchen aid, there is an attachment for it to make icecream. It is basically just a freezable bowl and a different paddle attachment (no salt neccessary).

10 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:46 am

WHAT? I do have a Kitchen Aid. Off to research it now…

11 bridget {bake at 350} June 2, 2011 at 9:59 am

You will NOT be sorry you have one. We got one for a wedding gift, and I let it sit in the box for SIX years. Got it out one day and the ice cream was SO GOOD, I almost CRIED that I wasted all that time not using it.

I just used MY swagbucks to buy that pretty red one. I LOVE it! Bite the bullet. ;)

And thanks for the shout-out!

12 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’m gonna do it!!!! My kids are gonna flip! And if I can’t find some of those cute milk bottles at my local flea-tique store, I’m getting them from your source. So cute!

13 Audra Lynn June 2, 2011 at 10:14 am

Oh, wow. We got an ice cream maker as a wedding gift, too. It usually camps out on the top shelf of the pantry. I think it’s been used three times in seven years, and usually when my mother-in-law visits and makes the ice cream. I will have to try the Coke ICEE. My husband will die of sheer happiness if I can make them at home!

14 Funky Junk Interiors June 2, 2011 at 10:22 am

Great. Now I want swag bucks AND an icecream maker too. And here I have this big honkin’ healthy JUICER on my counter that’s only been used twice. Juice just isn’t ‘fun’, kwim? :)

Donna
Funky Junk Interiors´s last blog ..A little day job show and tell and an upcoming eventMy ComLuv Profile

15 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 10:43 am

Maybe you could put your juice in the ice cream maker and make a healthy juice slushy????

16 Michelle June 2, 2011 at 10:22 am

We have had our ice cream maker for 3 years and used it ONCE. Luckily, we got it as a gift and didn’t shell out our on moo-la for it.
Michelle´s last blog ..I miss my grandmaMy ComLuv Profile

17 Linda June 2, 2011 at 10:39 am

If you aren’t sure you want to go with an appliance, be sure to check out the manual ice cream maker shaped like a soccer ball. It might have gotten me to run around the yard more when I was a kid! http://icecreamrevolution.com/
We have the Cuisinart and feel it’s worth the money even if it sits for a few years. I’m so excited to try this cola ice recipe! Way better than running out to BK for the $1.00 20oz special, no?

18 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 10:44 am

Wait just one minute!!!! Burger King sells the Coke ICEE???? What would I do without my internet friends to tell me these things?

19 Linda June 2, 2011 at 11:07 am

That’s right! Frozen Coke or cherry is $1.00 for the small (16 oz) or the medium (20 oz) size right now, so get the medium! http://www.bk.com/en/us/index.html
Unfortunately, I don’t know how long this promotion is in effect, but I intend to take advantage of it as long as I can!

20 Wendy June 2, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hi Kimba,

I have the Cuisinart that I also used free $$ to buy on amazon. We love it. It is best to store the bowl in your fridge for 3 days before use, so in the summer we just keep it in there and it is always ready to go. We have made coke freezes and they are easy and yummy! I say, “go for it” and get the Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Maker book along with it :)
Wendy

21 Leigh Anne June 2, 2011 at 11:17 am

I think all the lovely concoctions you could make (with or without kids) make the machine soooo worth it! We have one and there is nothing better than homemade! And if you opt out of the ice cream maker, blenders make awesome Slushies!!!

22 Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds June 2, 2011 at 11:29 am

I haven’t tried it, but if you have a Kitchen-Aid mixer, they sell an ice cream maker attachment for it.

Or I’m pretty sure you can get Coke Slurpees at 7-11. I used to get Icees and Slurpees as a kid, but I can’t remember if one was tastier than the other.
Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds´s last blog ..Painted Quatrefoil TrayMy ComLuv Profile

23 Rachel Lynn June 2, 2011 at 12:47 pm

What about freezing the coke (in ice cube trays or something, not in the can), and just putting them in the blender? I’m not sure you could get them that same consistency. Or you could try freezing them in a bowl and stirring it every once in a while to break it up. It might take a while, but your consistency might be better. I have to admit, I don’t think I’d but an ice cream maker, I already have enough unused appliances and junk in the kitchen.
Rachel Lynn´s last blog ..Rhubarb-Strawberry RollsMy ComLuv Profile

24 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I’ve thought about trying it that way too. I wonder if it will work.

25 Qwendy June 2, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I am opposed to lots of appliances, they sit and sit. However, the Cuisinart is a DELIGHT! I use it all the time in the summer, and I got the extra bowl with mine. It’s quite the novelty with guests.

Have you ever had a Dole Whip from DIsneyland? I make those all the time in mine. My favorite is passing them out to my friends while we lounge by the pool. I don’t think you’ll regret it.
Qwendy´s last blog ..Chalet Appreciation- The BackyardMy ComLuv Profile

26 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 2:39 pm

No way! We have a local place that sells the Dole Whip. I adore it! I have to avoid driving by because I can’t help but stop. I’d be in heaven if I could make them at home!

27 Bekah June 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I have the Cuisinart, and it’s amazing. I usually stick to the basic vanilla, but my mom makes all kinds (strawberry, blueberry, etc.). You can also make frozen yogurt. I will not buy ice cream at the store any more.

28 Harmony June 2, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Having an ice cream maker is HEAVEN. Last fall we moved into a house with a big peach tree and I made peach frozen yogurt probably every other day! All I added was peaches, sugar, lemon juice, and lowfat yogurt. Easy peasy and sooooo fresh and good! Plus, it only takes 20 mins to freeze (unlike the ol’ ice cream makers of yore) so its practically instant gratification!! I know you’ll make the right choice /wink wink!

29 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Oh. My. Word. That’s it. I’m sold. We just planted our first peach tree. I know it will be a while before we’re eating sweet peaches, but I want to be prepared to make peach frozen yogurt!

30 Courtney June 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I don’t have an ice cream maker, but have been thinking about getting that attachment, more like an expansion pack, for my Kitchen Aid mixer.

31 Susan @ Busy Home Adventures June 2, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I love Swagbucks, too! I have the cuisinart (in much less interesting white) and I’m overall very happy with it. I think I will use it more this summer now that I have a deep freezer. It has to pre-freeze for so long (and the liquids have to be pretty cold, too!) that it really kept me from being spontaneous about making ice cream. Now that I have the space to just keep it frozen, I think I’ll use it more.

32 Jennifer Juniper June 2, 2011 at 3:20 pm

I have that very same red Cuisinart ice cream maker…and also a white one! I have one at home and one at our place in the mountains. It really does work great – my only problem is that I often move the bowl from the freezer to make room for food then forget to put it back in. So, that kind of puts the brakes on spur-of-the-moment ice cream. That’s my only complaint.

I’ll have to try that icee for my boys!
Jennifer Juniper´s last blog ..Treading WaterMy ComLuv Profile

33 Jenna Hilgers June 2, 2011 at 4:23 pm

YOU HAVE TO BUY IT!!!!! Got mine free with some CSN credits I won and we love it. We don’t even have kids yet, but we make our own ice cream, gelato, frozen greek yogurt, and all kinds of stuff. My husbands favorite is a basic vanilla ice cream recipe with TONS of crushed up oreos. We actually put so many in that it overflows the ice cream machine, so after the ice cream is made we put it all in a HUGE mixing bowl, then let it set up in the freezer about a half hour or more. BEST ICECREAM EVER!

34 Laura June 2, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I got home from Aldi about an hour ago, where I bought an ice cream maker as an impulse buy. (It doesn’t help when you have 3 of your kids with you!) It may not be a Cuisinart, but for $20 and with a 2-year warranty, we can have some summer fun!

35 Amy June 2, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I have two ice cream makers, one like you have pictured and a soft-serve one too. I love them and use them all the time. I leave the bowls in the freezer until I am ready to use them. I love knowing what goes into the ice cream I am making and being able to create our own combinations.
If you have a kitchen-aid mixer, they also sell an ice cream attachment.

36 Condo Blues June 2, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I had a big ice cream maker that I got as a wedding gift (actually we got 2 and none were on our registry!) It was a big one that you have to put ice and rock salt in it and it made a ton more ice cream than I should be tempted to eat. I eventually gave it to Goodwill. Last we saw the little Cuisinart ice cream maker at Sur La Table. It’s smaller so it makes just the right amount for our small family. You don’t have to deal with the ice and rock salt thing either. We’ve been debating on it ever since because we lack storage space.
Condo Blues´s last blog ..One Small Green Change- Reusable Glass Drinking StrawMy ComLuv Profile

37 Trish D June 2, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Our family LOVES our ice cream maker – although admittedly part of the reason is that our daughter is lactose intol. so we can make her special treats involving coconut milk… But seriously, I love making frozen treats with fruit and other summer bounty.

Some other reasons to get an ice cream maker:
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/David-Lebovitzs-Mocha-Sherbet (made with decaf so I can still enjoy it after 3 pm!)
Trish D´s last blog ..Weekend UpdateMy ComLuv Profile

38 randee June 2, 2011 at 8:10 pm

we have a krups ice cream maker that i store in the freezer so that we can make ice cream whenever the mood strikes. alas, the mood strikes less & less frequently. which is too bad because it really makes a great quart and a half of ice cream!

(honestly? they sold fried fish plus icees???)

39 Gina June 2, 2011 at 10:03 pm

last night we had a root beer float from Sonic – talk about nostalgia. Something about root beer makes me feel like a kids again…

40 Amelia@ Garden Decors June 3, 2011 at 12:55 am

My most perfect summer nostalgia would be pancakes. I love how it smells. It reminded me of my summer baking class when I was still in high school.

I have an ice cream maker. Well, honestly, it’s not a practical appliance. My hubby and I only bought it because our kids want it. My husband also thinks it’s perfect for this summer.
Amelia@ Garden Decors´s last blog ..Space Doesn’t Matter- Make Your Home Office Fabulous with Wind ChimesMy ComLuv Profile

41 Jessica@MakeItLovely June 3, 2011 at 7:45 am

if you are going to have an ice cream maker, that cuisinart one is the one to have. I love mine because it is so easy to use (you know, no salt, etc.) I’ll have to try the coke thing – that sounds great!

42 Kat June 3, 2011 at 9:18 am

I just got an email from William-Sonoma this am that the Cuisinart one i’s on sale for $89 and you get a $25 gift card. Just an idea for another place to buy it!

43 Lani June 3, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I don’t have one, as I’m with you on the single use machines. That’s why i got the keurig and got rid of the coffee maker and espresso maker, and also have the cuisinart blender/food precessor combo. I really would love to make homemade ice cream, though, which is why I’m furiously debating getting the attachment for my kitchenaid stand mixer! And thanks for the info about Swagbucks! I just signed up! Totally cool!

44 The Mommy Therapy June 3, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I don’t have one, but as someone that eats ice cream every night and spends about $15 a week on it, I always think I should have one.

My cousin has this cuisinart one and loves it, using it about once a month, which I think is a pretty regular frequency.

Go for it!

I just saw one at Costco yesterday and I swear it was only $40, but I could be wrong and just was overly excited to be at Costco. Things like that happen to me.
The Mommy Therapy´s last blog ..My Stella PrayerMy ComLuv Profile

45 Renee June 3, 2011 at 10:41 pm

Love my Cuisinart ice cream maker! I bought a refurbished model off some website (can’t remember where) at least five years ago and it’s still going strong. It’s not heavy and it doesn’t take up too much room – I have it in the same cabinet where I keep my food processor, crockpot, blender, and waffle iron. (ok, the waffle iron is waaaaay in the back)

46 sapir June 4, 2011 at 5:55 am

i don’t use ice-cream maker, but i’m used to make ice lolly to my kids, it’s very easy make: just take a juice (whatever you like) and put it in a glass with a stick (or just a spoon) and freeze it for few hours :)
sapir´s last blog ..How to wax a car And what is the best car waxMy ComLuv Profile

47 Angela June 4, 2011 at 11:42 am

If you haven’t already bought one after reading all of the comments above, I recommend the Kitchenaid ice cream maker. I bought mine earlier this year (partially with swagbucks) and I seriously LOVE it. I use it all the time. Since we’ve got a big deep freeze, the bowl just stays in the freezer all the time.
I also recommend grabbing the Ben & Jerry’s ice cream recipe book, it’s filled with simple and delicious recipes!
Angela´s last blog ..7 Quick Takes Vol 41My ComLuv Profile

48 Pamela June 4, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Someone else with an appliance phobia. ;-) It sounds heavenly though — the thought I could make them with diet coke almost sells me on the idea. Ice cream would be an added bonus.

49 Tracey June 5, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Three cheers for the Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment, we love ours!

I had mad Coke icee cravings when I was pregnant. If you poor Coke in a plastic cup at lunch time, by about 2:30 you have an amazing Coke icee. Must be a plastic cup.

And when I couldn’t wait I would just drive through Burger King and pray their icee machine was working.
Tracey´s last blog ..13 years ago todayMy ComLuv Profile

50 Robin June 6, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I’m so glad to read this because I’ve been debating Cuisinart versus Kitchenaid attachment for over a week now. With positive comments for both here, I’m still not quite sure which to get, but at least I have more info. I’m with you on the single use applicance thing, so I’m leaning toward kitchenaid. On the other hand, we could take the Cuisinart on family vacation or to a visit friends. Kitchenaid would be harder to schlep. Decisions, decisions…

51 Lynne June 8, 2011 at 12:16 am

I have the (boring white) cuisinart one. I do love it when we use it but it does sit a lot. I now wish I’d just gone w the kitchenaid attachment but that wasn’t out when we got ours. Either way you’ll be happy but if you’re a clutter haterjust do the ka and store in the freezer.

52 Amy June 8, 2011 at 5:04 pm

So, I ran out and got an ice cream maker this week and made my first batch. It was PERFECTION. They have them at Aldi for $20. It isn’t anything spectacular, but it works great and came with a two year warranty. I am so happy! I wasn’t wanting to shell out for the Cuisinart since this is an experiment in our house…an experiment on whether or not this will gather dust next month :) I can handle $20 spent ;)

Thanks so much for the linky love! xo
Amy´s last blog ..Amy’s Notebook 060811My ComLuv Profile

53 paula July 13, 2011 at 2:23 am

I got the cuisinart at our local costco for 34.00. Had been looking at them at the macy’s and the price tag was over 75.00!!! I feel I have paid for the machine, by what I have saved making my own frozen treats. The nice part is you can control your ingredients. I live on Kauai, and yesterday made coconut, papaya, banana, passion fruit frozen perfection. And it cost me next to nothing, as I could go out in the yard to pick all the fruit!!!! Just remember to put the paddle in the frozen bowl, THEN pour your liquid ingredients. trust me it will save you a lot of clean up that way!