Summer List

by Kimba on June 13, 2011

in Crafty Stuff,Faith and Family,Stuff with the Kids

It all started with Meg from Whatever. Her Summer List idea has become a bit of a phenomenon in the blogging world.

I latched onto her idea and it’s changed the way we do summer. This is our 3rd year doing a Summer List (check out 2009 and 2010) and it helps me be more intentional with our time.

The boys know it’s a tradition and in January start saying “Mom! We need to put this, that or the other thing on our Summer List!” And we do. Our list has grown longer each year because the boys want to include everything from years past and I try to add new things. We also left a little space at the bottom to add more things as the summer unfolds.

I am so looking forward to a laid-back summer with my family. My time with them feels so fleeting these days. I want to take advantage of the time that I have. If you see less of me this summer, it’s because I’m choosing my precious family over my keyboard.

Are you looking for some fun ideas for summer? Amy from MomAdvice has put together a Pinterest list of 100 Things to Do this Summer. It’s full of all sorts of fun ideas like: breakfast in bed, making lollipops, learning to finger knit and geocaching.

What do you have planned for summer? What’s on your Summer List?

1 Apron Appeal June 13, 2011 at 8:43 am

I’m starting to feel a little panicky because so many people are making lists for summer activities and I haven’t yet. So to save me some time, I’m just going to use yours. :) I hope you won’t mind. According to your list I’ve can already cross 9 things off! I feel better already. :)
Apron Appeal´s last blog ..Whole Wheat Pitas &amp TzatzikiMy ComLuv Profile

2 Kimba June 13, 2011 at 8:46 am

I love it! No need to re-invent the wheel (or the Summer List, in this case), if you like the stuff on our list. Have fun!!!

3 Southern Gal June 13, 2011 at 8:45 am

This is our third year of “the list”, too. My son loves it and so do I. I’m going to try and not feel guilty when we don’t get to it all…
Southern Gal´s last blog ..SettlingMy ComLuv Profile

4 Kimba June 13, 2011 at 8:47 am

We didn’t finish our entire list last summer. We just started calling it our Fall List… NO GUILT!!!!

5 Southern Gal June 13, 2011 at 9:02 am

Ah. Great idea!
Southern Gal´s last blog ..SettlingMy ComLuv Profile

6 Becky Welch June 13, 2011 at 9:09 am

What a wonderful idea!!!! I may have to go ahead and do this – even though we have already been in our summer for a few weeks!! Can’t wait!

7 Marion June 13, 2011 at 9:36 am

What a wonderful idea! Summer flies by so fast and before you know it, we’re putting on sweaters and saying “oh, we never had a picnic in the park or got to the zoo!”

Love that you said family over keyboard…good choice!

8 Traci June 13, 2011 at 10:03 am

This is so awesome Kimba! I’m totally going to make one of these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,
Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations

9 Laura Ingalls Gunn June 13, 2011 at 10:25 am

I LOVE the list! We are already into week 3 of summer vacation and can I say that I am so happy its VBS week? :)

If you have a chance, please stop by my blog and enter my giveaway.

Happy Monday!

10 Jamie June 13, 2011 at 11:34 am

Thanks for posting this! You gave me some good ideas to add to my own list. If you want to check out the list I have going, here it is- http://www.creatinghomejournal.com/2011/06/08/a-list-for-summer/

Thanks again!

11 Tonya in England June 13, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I was thinking but my two are 14 and 11 and I struggle to find things they both want to do and some things arent so exciting any more BUT I noticed Meg from Whatever has an older teen so maybe I should think again. The 11 year old has already made her list so I will make it official by printing it out.

12 Glenda Childers June 13, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Such creative and fun memories you family will have each summer.

Fondly,
Glenda
Glenda Childers´s last blog ..Very Good NewsMy ComLuv Profile

13 Amanda @ Serenity Now June 13, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Yes! I finally let go of feeling pressured to return every comment left on my blog with a comment at that person’s blog. I want to enjoy the summer with my girls. :)

14 KS June 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm

I love “Dig a big hole.” : ) You may need to check with Dan Quayle about how to spell the plural of “potato.”

15 The Mommy Therapy June 13, 2011 at 4:33 pm

This sounds great! I feel like we have been floundering a lot this summer and a list like this would definitely help us to be more intentional with our time as you said. If only I could get the baby to cut her naps to one so we could have more time to escape out of our house!

Thanks for sharing.
The Mommy Therapy´s last blog ..Five Question Friday and My HUGE Success As A Carefree MomMy ComLuv Profile

16 Carmie of the Single Nester June 13, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I have a list of things I need to get done around the house this summer but I really should make a fun list too!

17 Amy June 13, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Aw, thank you so much for linking up to that Pinterest board! We definitely won’t be tackling a hundred things, but I love to get a little inspiration when I am not feeling quite so inventive! I absolutely love your summer list and agree, Meg is such a fabulous source of inspiration!! xoxo
Amy´s last blog ..Father’s Day Gift Basket- A Power Pack for Your Super-Dad!My ComLuv Profile

18 Crystal June 14, 2011 at 12:30 am

We’ve made our list, just have to transfer it to posterboard. Last year was our first year doing it and we LOVED it!!

I’ve started a Linky party for Mondays or just any day near the beginning of the week. It’s called “Make a List Mondays”. Would love to have you join! :)

Crystal

19 Jamie @ charmingly ordinary June 14, 2011 at 9:08 am

Ok. I need to write one of my own. And I especially love the no-guilt-if-it-doesn’t-happen part. Especially. ;)

20 Amelia @ Garden Decors June 14, 2011 at 10:46 am

My summer list consists of family bonding time with the kids and my hubby.

- Watch five or more summer blockbuster movies. We’ve already watched Kung Fu Panda 2. The kids are planning to watch Harry Potter and Transformers. My husband wants the Green Lantern – he’s a comic geek.

- Go to a major botanical zoo.
- Hiking and / or riding with bikes.
Amelia @ Garden Decors´s last blog ..What Are Your Options for Garden StakesMy ComLuv Profile

21 Shannon June 14, 2011 at 11:50 am

We did this last year (based on your blog!) and had a wonderful summer. We’ll be doing it again this year but I’d better get my hiney in gear since school is out on FRIDAY!!!

22 Fiona's Mosaic June 14, 2011 at 11:54 am

WOW! I had no idea anyone else did this! We have been doing this for years! I just thought we were strange….lololol! It was just so easy moving from day to day doing the day to day stuff to lose track of what we really wanted out of summer. One of the kids favorite things was to sit down the day after we ended school and make our summer list.

Summer is short, and the memories are precious, so summer lists are a great way to keep focused. Enjoy your summer and God bless! You have a FABULOUS list that your kids will long remember.

Fi
Fiona’s Mosaic´s last blog ..Lilacs &amp MoonlightMy ComLuv Profile

23 Mary June 14, 2011 at 6:55 pm

We have a “to do list” for summer but I think to be balance we need a “have fun” summer list like yours! And I LOVE that not all the things are expensive, vacation, structured things, but just fun, relaxed things! My kids are younger, so “build a fort” and”picinic in the living room” will have to be added!!! :) So I am curious, how are you at getting them all done??

24 Kimba June 14, 2011 at 7:10 pm

YES! I specifically told the the kids that most of the things on the list needed to be fun, free things we could do at home or around town. We put on a few things that cost $ since we do have a vacation planned, but I wanted to keep it simple and cheap.

I cannot tell a lie…we did not finish our entire list last summer. So come September, we just started calling it our Fall List. I refuse to let this be something else to feel guilty about.

25 Jessica S June 17, 2011 at 11:13 am

I Love the poster presentation….our “summer list” was very informal and rather scattered; this idea gives it LIFE! ‘

Love it! Enjoy every minute you get of this fun season!

Jess
Jessica S´s last blog ..A flood of sunshine on a cloudy dayMy ComLuv Profile

26 Angela Atkins June 17, 2011 at 4:34 pm

What paper did you use? Is it just a roll of kid’s drawing paper? We have a list that we made at the end of May but it is too big (36 x 48) to hang anywhere in our house, has gotten several “additions” by my 2 year old, and we just need to add more to it. I like the long version and could fit that somewhere easier.

27 Kimba June 17, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Yep! It’s just a roll of drawing paper. I left some extra on the bottom so we have space to add more things as the summer goes on.

28 Michele Trovato June 24, 2011 at 2:10 am

Love it! We are also creating a super map – perfect for those rainy summer days. Hope you will come check it out!
Michele Trovato´s last blog ..The Summer MapMy ComLuv Profile

29 Nikki O June 24, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I linked to you on my 2011 Summer List! Thanks for helping to be an inspiration!
Nikki O´s last blog ..2011 Summer ListMy ComLuv Profile