Sprucing Up the Front Porch with Pots, Plants and Spray Paint

by Kimba on June 6, 2011

in Do it yourself,In the Garden

Alternate title: The post that’s been 2 years in the making.

Even after I made my own personalized doormat, my front stoop was still looking a little sad. So I decided it was time to spruce it up a little more with some pots and some greenery.

I still miss the beautiful front porch at our old house. It was big and beautiful and I loved to spruce it up with plants and furniture. Now I have a stoop. Sigh. But I’m not going to let that stop me from upping the curb appeal of our house in whatever way I can.

I’ve had a bunch of these black pots hanging around for 2 years now. But they didn’t start out black. In fact, they’re cheap, grey, plastic pots that I bought at Wal-Mart 2 summers ago. Wal-Mart still carries them. I checked.

I have 6 of them in 3 different sizes because I had grand plans to create a beautiful tiered pot display with cascading flowers. Doesn’t that sound pretty? Good plan, but it never happened.

When I bought them in 2009, I spray painted them with Krylon Fusion in black. I really love Krylon Fusion for painting plastic. It sticks like the dickins. Not sure what a “dickins” is, but it must be pretty sticky.

These pots have been moved, dropped, banged, shaken and stirred. And there’s not a scratch or ding on them.

So, I brought the biggest ones out to the front stoop. Do you ever notice how if you say a word over and over, it starts to lose it’s meaning? That’s where I am with stoop now. Stoop. Stoop. Stoop. Totally meaningless.

Here’s my favorite potting trick. Fill the bottom of a big pot with something really heavy and bulky. Like bricks. They’ll make sure your pot doesn’t blow away and they’ll take up some of the volume so you can use less potting soil.

I’m really happy with how the new pots freshened up the stoop (there it is again!). The ferns are called Kimberly Queen and I like how they’re a little more upright than regular Boston Ferns. Technically, they’re an indoor plant, but they should be ok out there since the front porch gets morning light.

And those are Wave Petunias tucked around the bottom of the ferns. In a few weeks, they should be cascading nicely down over the sides of the pots.

If you like a little more color on your porch, check out The Nester’s beautiful, blue urns with ferns. Urns with ferns. Urns with ferns.

If you want to see how I made the doormat, click here.

1 Kelly T. June 6, 2011 at 9:37 am

I love ferns! Looks great. My spray painted black urns haven’t held up so well. I need to check out that Krylon Fusion for sure!

2 Jamie @ charmingly ordinary June 6, 2011 at 9:59 am

I think I need to attempt both projects for our STOOP asap. I just love ferns. They are pretty much the LDB of potted plants, dontchathink? Perfect anywhere.

3 Michelle June 6, 2011 at 10:12 am

Ooo love this! We have a stoop too, boo. I’ll have to do something like this this weekend!!
Michelle´s last blog ..Repaint- Reuse- RecycleMy ComLuv Profile

4 Sherrie June 6, 2011 at 10:45 am

What a difference you made! Love your front entry!

5 Laurel @ Ducks in a Row June 6, 2011 at 10:53 am

Wave petunias are the only ones I planted this year! They are my favorite! Your entry looks awesome!

6 Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D June 6, 2011 at 11:31 am

I love what you did there.
You would never know they were spray painted.

I’ve had a lot of luck spray painting things around the house – from gold cheap plastic picture frames to 80s brass baker’s racks.

It’s important to read the can for what type of material the paint works best on. But, after that, you are only limited by imagination :)
Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D´s last blog ..Cherished Memories – Make Them Today! Tell us Yours!My ComLuv Profile

7 courtney June 6, 2011 at 12:14 pm

those look great! i have a STOOP as well and we are not friends. i haven’t broken up with my old front porch. i miss it dearly.

8 Laural Out Loud June 6, 2011 at 12:19 pm

We stopped using our front door because it’s so depressing! We live in a townhome with an HOA that takes care of landscaping, but I think I’m going to try and do SOMEthing, because your potted ferns are to die for! And, Kimba, you are so refreshingly funny! I love reading your posts :-)
Laural Out Loud´s last blog ..How To Eat Organically For LessMy ComLuv Profile

9 Laree @ Ever Heard of Euless June 6, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Are you a Calvin and Hobbs fan? Your stoop comments totally remind me of my very favorite strip.

Calvin and Hobbs are using some modeling clay to sculpt. Hobbs insists on wearing a smock. Calvin starts discussing what he’s going to make, while Hobbs is obsessing over his smock. At one point, Hobbs says “Actually, I just like the word smock. Smock smock smock smock smock . . .” and Calvin yells “What is WRONG with you!!”

Smock. Stoop. Smock. Stoop. Smock. Stoop.

I’m there with you!

10 sherry hart June 6, 2011 at 1:44 pm

They look great and I had to laugh when you said that thingy about saying a word so many times it starts to sound weird! That happens to me all the time! Funny.

11 Jenn A June 6, 2011 at 2:03 pm

It looks very pretty! I’d love to try something like that sometime. My “stoop” is pretty narrow so I’m not sure there is room, plus we get afternoon HOT sun. Great idea!

12 Sarah Gibbs June 7, 2011 at 4:11 am

I love what you have done here with the pots your porch looks beautiful
Sarah Gibbs´s last blog ..Vintage Wedding FairMy ComLuv Profile

13 Jen June 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Thanks for the idea. I am currently sprucing up my front entrance :)

14 Heathahlee June 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm

I do that all the time with words. To the point I second guess myself and have to google it to make sure I didn’t totally create a new word no one has ever heard before.

I love ferns! They just make front porches look so much cooler in summer. At least down here they do. And we need all the help we can get. : )

15 Amelia @ Garden Decors June 8, 2011 at 1:24 am

As a suggestion, if you don’t have a beautiful or big front lawn, you can spruce it up by putting 2 – 4 planters or pots in your porch or in the side of your main door. This could add more value and aesthetics to your house.

This is what I did with my old home back in Florida. I also customized them a little bit by painting them with monotone and neutral colors to match my door.
Amelia @ Garden Decors´s last blog ..The All-sparkling- Majestic Glass Wind ChimesMy ComLuv Profile

16 Shelly June 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Your front door looks SO inviting!! I really like the black pots contrasting with the brick and beautiful green ferns!
Ours, sadly is lacking…. our front doors are also a very dark color, more prone to chipping. And it is chipping quite a bit! The weather is finally warming up, so maybe we will get to the front entrance soon. I hope so!

17 Elle June 8, 2011 at 8:28 pm

Love it!
Looks very stylish :)
Elle´s last blog ..Diy Canvas ArtMy ComLuv Profile

18 Erin June 9, 2011 at 6:22 am

I agree with the consensus: the ferns and urns are stunning. I just did my pots with Krylon’s Fusion as well and was amazed at how quickly and well it clung. I’m a spray-painting newbie and just might be addicted. My stoop on the other hand. Not nearly as inspiring. Maybe within the next two years, mine will get a facelift. Thanks for sharing!
Erin´s last blog ..Its the little thingsMy ComLuv Profile

19 Comeca Jones June 9, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Very Nice !So neat.
Comeca Jones´s last blog ..White Finds &amp Flowers In The House w-SmallButCharmingMy ComLuv Profile

20 Eileen@Cottage Beach House June 18, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I love how much better that pot looks all painted up black. And love the look of those ferns. Your idea about the brick on the bottom is so smart.I recently upped the appeal on my tiny porch by using Krylon on my old beat up brown chair. Now it’s a pretty plant holder. and Thanks to that I don’t hate my little stoop (ooopps, there it is) so much:)
Eileen@Cottage Beach House´s last blog ..A Journey to a Secret Warm Mineral SpringMy ComLuv Profile