It’s Freezer Jam Time!

by Kimba on June 15, 2011

in In the Kitchen

Strawberry freezer jam is thoroughly delish and now that I know how to make it, I never buy regular jam at the store. It’s so simple to make and since the berries aren’t cooked, like regular jam, the flavor is fresh and sweet.

Right now is prime strawberry jam making time because the farmer’s markets are overflowing with red, ripe strawberries. Last year, I made 25 jars of this sweet goodness. That was enough to last our family for the year and I had plenty to share.

Try your farmer’s markets for good deals on local berries. The stand down the street from my house sells “yesterday’s berries” for 1/2 price. They’re a little soft which makes them perfect for jam.

Check out my post from last year that gives you the step-by-step instructions for making Strawberry Freezer Jam using either Ball or Sure-Jell pectin. They’re very different, so it was an interesting experiment. I also give you my all-time favorite freezer jam recipe.

Now get jamming!

1 Claudia June 15, 2011 at 9:35 am

I am ready to make this, last year I made just a few jars but I want to make several batches this time!!!

2 Lori F. June 15, 2011 at 10:00 am

Lucky you for finding a good price on strawberries. South of the city I’m paying $4.99/qt. which makes for expensive jam. I’m forgoing the whole thing unless I find a deal. I may have to take a visit to the farms to see if they have any “leftovers”.

3 Beth June 15, 2011 at 10:21 am

Hey Kimba….never tried freezer jam but I think I might have to try to make some this weekend. It does sounds easy. I make strawberry fig jam and it is good. I have a strawberry farm about 2 miles down my home so I am going to do it. Will share with you.

I have a new blog so come visit. Hope all is well with your family!
Beth´s last blog ..YUM YUMMy ComLuv Profile

4 Kristen@PrettySweet June 15, 2011 at 10:52 am

Oh, yea!! You read my mind. =) I have been wanting to try strawberry freezer jam this year…I have plenty of plums from our yard to make into jellies and cobblers, but I reeeally wanted to try strawberry, too.
Kristen@PrettySweet´s last blog ..Hicksville HappeningsMy ComLuv Profile

5 Ashley @TheHillHangout June 15, 2011 at 11:02 am

Yum! Strawberry jam is one of the best things about summer. We love to add champagne to ours as well! http://thehillhangout.com/?p=324

6 Lisa Lyons June 15, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Yummy! I think that I will make some yummy jam!

Lisa

7 Brenda June 15, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Just made two batches today! We have a berry patch so I make quite a few batches and give to all our daughters and their families and many others. Also make strawberry/rhubarb, the cooked and canned type. Have a great week!

8 Ches June 15, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Hey Kimba,

The jam looks so yummy and pretty in the jars! Thought I would let you know that I found my tobacco basket this past weekend. Stop by my blog and take a look at it when you get the chance.

9 Jess June 16, 2011 at 4:01 pm

I love jam!! you know you can make jam out of anything you would like. I ate a parsley jam once and guess what…?! – it was delicious!!!
Thanks for sharing!
Jess´s last blog ..7 things you should know about BondsMy ComLuv Profile

10 Kerri June 16, 2011 at 4:44 pm

yummy!! nothing beats homemade strawberry jam!!

11 Chrissy Trapp June 18, 2011 at 12:10 am

Thank you for the tips–I am in a totally strawberry phase right now and cannot wait to try this out!
Chrissy Trapp´s last blog ..I love Austin- yes I doI love Austin &amp Owen does- too!My ComLuv Profile

12 Kristi McCandless June 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I made my first strawberry freezer jam (14 batches) last year and have to say that the Ball Simple Creations is wonderful. I love that the sugar is so low compared to the others out there and it really tastes like fresh strawberries. We got 104 quarts of berries out of our little back yard patch last year – a record for us and a good thing since we got less than 10 this year with the terrible weather. I still have a few gallon sized bags of whole berries in the freezer and the jam is just as good made with thawed frozen berries. Frozen raspberries from Trader Joe’s work great, too. I like to send my kids little containers of plain greek yogurt with the jam on top in their lunches.

13 Home Made Modern June 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I make this every year, too, along with strawberry bread and strawberry popsicles, which are a big hit with my girls.

14 Rita June 24, 2011 at 8:16 am

I never tried freezer but m gonna do now… Thanks for sharing yummy blog… Love it. :-p