Thrifting with The King

by Kimba on May 23, 2011

in Do it yourself,Furniture Rehab

My latest thrifting adventure started with a Facebook message from my friend Ruth Ann. Her message went like this…”Have you been to the new Thrift King store? It’s supposed to be largest thrift store in the county!”

My response went like this…”WHAT??? How on EARTH did I miss this??? This rock I live under gets soooo heavy. That store is 10 minutes from my house!!!

So, first thing Friday morning, I packed myself and my youngest son in the van and made a trip to check out Thrift King. And it definitely lived up to it’s title. The aisles are wide and clean…not a bit of that musty thrift store smell.

If you live anywhere in Southwestern PA and haven’t made a trip to downtown Jeannette, you are missing out on some serious thrifting. In addition to the new Thrift King, there are at least 3 large antique/fleatique stores and a handful of great smaller shops all within a few block area. Maybe we need to plan a trip for the locals sometime?

Everything is beautifully organized including the clothing. It’s impeccably clean and the prices seemed very reasonable.

Of course, daily sales make the prices even more tempting. I snapped up a few pairs of nearly-new Gap shorts for my boys for $1.20 each.

The furniture area is HUGE. There is no doubt that I’ll be browsing regularly for pieces to makeover. I think I could decorate an entire room around this funky chair. It’s shape is beautiful, but the fabric was, sadly, too worn on the arms. If I knew anything about re-upholstery, I would have snapped it up in an instant. It was only $10!!!!

I was seriously tempted by this pair of glass lamps. Spray paint those brassy bases and add some modern shades. Beautiful!

This shapely dresser is BEGGING for a makeover. I actually don’t mind the wood color, but it was pretty dinged up so it would need to be sanded and either re-stained or painted. Either way it would make a perfect dining room sideboard.

And when I saw this traditional little dresser, I immediately thought of Kate’s two-toned dresser. I really wanted to bring it home and take off the batwing hardware like I did in my bedroom. It’s really screaming for some crystal knobs and a coat of fresh white (or gray…or blue…or turquoise) paint.

You’re going to have to trust me on this one, but I almost brought this round wicker coffee table home. I may go back for it this week.

You can’t tell from the pictures, but it’s HUGE…like 45″ across. It’s the perfect size for our basement. I know it looks all tacky-sunroom-Boca Raton-condo, but I love it’s shape and it’s incredibly sturdy.

But I’m thinking some new stain and maybe a paint wash could make it look like this gorgeous baby.

The weather is FINALLY breaking here. I’m dying to get my brushes and sprayer into action. Have you had any good thrift store finds lately?

1 Deborah May 23, 2011 at 9:19 am

Wow! Great find!!
Sounds like you’ve found a new “favourite”!!
Have fun!!

Deborah xo
Deborah´s last blog ..Sunday and His PresenceMy ComLuv Profile

2 Lynn from For Love or Funny May 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

I definitely would have brought that wicker table home – it looks awesome!
Lynn from For Love or Funny´s last blog ..I caught a fox by it’s tailMy ComLuv Profile

3 Kelly T. - Full Plate Designer May 23, 2011 at 9:39 am

I wanna be like you! I need to get to thrifting!

4 Rachel May 23, 2011 at 9:50 am

I live in Central Pa…maybe I will have to make a trip!!!

5 Janelle May 23, 2011 at 9:51 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing the new resource. I saw your post this week at the ReStore and almost lept out of my chair to know that you are “local” or at least more local than the Nester. I love Jeannette, the Restore, and also have some faves in Ligonier. Good to know about Thrift King. Thanks.
Janelle´s last blog ..Painting TileMy ComLuv Profile

6 Kimba May 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Oh! My hubby and I want to head out to Ligonier for a weekend this summer. I never thought about thrifting there!

7 peggy May 23, 2011 at 10:11 am

I love thrift stores! Too bad I’m hundreds of miles away from PA! Our Goodwill store here is pretty nice though. Looks like there were some great finds!

8 Heather May 23, 2011 at 10:53 am

Ok, I’ve been reading your blog for probably over a year now and GRACIOUS I’m less than an hour from Jeanette! When I started reading this post I actually thought “now why can’t there be thrift stores like that nearer to me” – Well God does answer prayers now doesn’t He. I’ll be making the trip soon to check things out. Thanks for opening up many new possibilities for me … and I love your decorating sense – you’re very inspirational!
Blessings.
Heather´s last blog ..Size mattersMy ComLuv Profile

9 Kimba May 24, 2011 at 10:09 pm

HA! YES! There are lots of great thrift stores in the area. Maybe I need to put together a list for the locals.

10 Amanda @ Serenity Now May 23, 2011 at 11:05 am

Girl, go back for that wicker piece!! Oh my word…it would be fabulous, and I know you can work your magic on it. :) What a cool shop!!!

11 Amanda @ Serenity Now May 23, 2011 at 11:06 am

12 Amanda @ Serenity Now May 23, 2011 at 11:06 am

Sorry for the double comment…WP was giving me an error msg.

13 tina May 23, 2011 at 11:41 am

if you don’t go get that wicker table i am going to get it. lol

oh the texture!!!! love it!

14 Centsational Girl May 23, 2011 at 12:39 pm

Oh my you’re singing my song today! I love this place, wish I could go thrifting with you, sounds like you scored some deals. Thanks for the shout out too, I see that dresser as you see it!

xo
Kate

15 janet Metzger May 23, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Hey Kimba,
I am at my Salvation Macy’s every Wednesday when all is 25 % off.
This week I scored a $1,600 Hekman upholstered chair and ottoman (on rolling castors!) for only $52.00!!!!

I will be slipcovering this beauty and blogging about it very soon.
Thrift King looks FABULOUS!!!!!

Janet xox

ps…say yes to the wicker ;->

16 Kimba May 24, 2011 at 10:08 pm

WHOA! Now THAT’S a score! I can’t wait to see what you do with it!!!!

17 Sara Tetreault {at} Go Gingham dot com May 23, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I’ve never heard of “The Thrift King” but I haven’t lived on the east coast since moving to Portland in 1995. I love thrift store shopping or picking up free items off of the street corner. You should get that wicker table! It would be great inside or on a porch.
Sara Tetreault {at} Go Gingham dot com´s last blog ..The Loot From Our Goodwill Shopping TripMy ComLuv Profile

18 Jill May 23, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Great finds! I finally made it to Plato’s Closet in my city – LOVE IT. I went looking for a dress and came home with a shirt and jacket – for only $25!! I plan to blog about them soon! :)

19 Van May 23, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Thanks for the vicarious trip through THE KING. I’d love to visit that place…one day…

20 Lori F. May 23, 2011 at 2:02 pm

This place looks great! Who’d a thought it in Jeanette? Did you stop and get some DeLallo’s goodies while you were there?

I’m waiting for the move and re-opening of our Habitat ReStore in Washington, PA. Can’t wait until everything is on one floor and not stacked upon stacks.

But first I have some tiling, sanding and painting to do. Probably enough to keep me busy for the entire summer.

21 Kimba May 24, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Ooooh! I have to be so careful at DeLallo’s. I go in for a loaf of bread and spend $50! Can’t go in there hungry.

22 Ruth Ann May 23, 2011 at 2:03 pm

HAHA! I’m glad you liked the place! I am going there again tomorrow! I really wish I had the decorating talent that you do! We should meet up someday for lunch and a trip to Thrift King! I have never tried to refinish a piece of furniture, but I have a night stand I bought last year that I plan to paint a beachy blue color and add a glaze. I’ll have to blog about it once I get it finished. I totally love that wicker coffee table…you should definitely get it! Have a great day!
By the way, I found out about this store through a relative. It was published in our Fayette County newspaper…how weird is that?! lol
-Ruth Ann
Ruth Ann´s last blog ..Easter 2011My ComLuv Profile

23 Kimba May 24, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Yes! We should meet up for a shopping trip. Maybe this summer. :)

24 Heidi May 23, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Wow you really have an eye! When I saw the wicker coffee table i was like noway, thank you for putting the other picture below i can totally picture the transformation
Heidi´s last blog ..No Sew Pillow- Glue itMy ComLuv Profile

25 Penny May 23, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I love that you have a great thrift store nearby! Unfortunately ours leaves a lot to be desired sometimes!
Penny´s last blog ..Some things that I have been up toMy ComLuv Profile

26 Seb@Palm Tree Decor May 23, 2011 at 10:24 pm

I love thrift shops too. 30 years ago I bought 3 arm chairs for $3.00 from the Salvation Army shop. I had them reupholstered. They are incredible and still going strong. Only recovered once.

27 Amelia@ Home Decors May 24, 2011 at 7:52 am

The pair of glass lamps and the cabinet / dresser look good – a done deal for me. These items look like the ones featured in the Pottery Barn collection just a few months ago.

Does T rift King have garden decors such as garden kits, planters, and pots?
Amelia@ Home Decors´s last blog ..Creating a Real Kid-friendly PlayroomMy ComLuv Profile

28 Kimba May 24, 2011 at 10:05 pm

They didn’t have a section for garden stuff, but there was a bit mixed in with the other items.

29 Angie May 25, 2011 at 12:20 am

i am like 15 minutes from this store and i pass the signs for it frequently. i need to check it out! i have a four year old and an eleven month old and they probably won’t be willing thrifters. lol. well, hmm.. the four year old might be…she’ll want to take everything home!

30 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:56 am

HA! I have the same problem with my 4-year old. He wants to take home everything.

31 Jennifer May 25, 2011 at 6:20 am

You have no idea how jealous I am of all the thrift stores (good quality and reasonable prices) I read about on all the blogs! I’ve been following people for awhile now, and am finally building up the inspiration and confidence to try things out.

We moved back to Australia 9 months ago (I’m originally from the US but married and Aussie) and I got into the blogs, couponing and redecorating scene when we lived in Houston for 18 months. I finally did my first project and painted frames I picked up from the Salvos store down here and will be making a family photo gallery wall.

And then I made a Rookie mistake the other day: there was the CUTEST little writing desk on someone’s verge when I pulled out of my son’s Kindy. I actually stopped, jumped out of the car and looked at it – solid wood, hinges not rusty, drawers on sliders…. I so should have grabbed it and instead did the “if its there Wed it’s mine.” I thought about it all evening, so swung by the next morning after dropping off my daughter to school – gone, of course. My kids even keep saying “where did the desk go, Mommy”. I keep hoping I’ll see it somewhere along the way….

Thanks so much for your inspiration!

32 Jenn May 25, 2011 at 8:52 am

Hmmm, it may be worth the hour and a half drive one of these days. Maybe I could bring some of my favorite ladies and make a day of it. It does look enticing!

33 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:55 am

Let me know if you do and maybe I can swing by too! It’s only 10 minutes away for me.

34 Leighann May 25, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Please sign me up for the next local field trip to Thrift King!

I went to a thrift store here in NoVa yesterday and it was my day. Here’s the breakdown: $17.50 for a silver sunburst mirror with tag still on the back ($100 from Pier One). $15 x 2 for a pair of lamps in a bold geometric rectangle like lamps I’ve seen for $90+ each at Pier One and Crate and Barrel. Mine need new shades and are brass. Both fixable. $5 for a rustic farm table that is going to look great painted. $4.50 for a gorgeous glass bowl perfect for fruit salad and the likes. $1.50 for six cream square placemats perfect for sewing together into monogramed pillows. a galvanized bucket to make into an umbrella stand and last but not least, a camel-colored linen DKNY skirt – still in style! and in my size – for $3. Truly the best thrifting day I’ve ever had.

35 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:54 am

WHOA! Now that’s a serious thrifting haul! Nice job!

36 Janae May 26, 2011 at 2:19 pm

There were some GREAT things @ Thrift King. I hope the wicker table is there when you go back, especially after seeing your inspiration!!
Janae´s last blog ..Everythings Coming up RosesMy ComLuv Profile

37 Kim-HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs May 30, 2011 at 11:20 am

I had no idea about this store and I’m not that far away (near Ligonier). I’m always on the lookout for a good thrift store :)
Kim-HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs´s last blog ..My ComLuv Profile

38 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:53 am

Have fun shopping! We’re practically neighbors! :)

39 Amy V. May 30, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and I must live near you. I’m in Irwin and I’ve been to the Thrift King once a week since it opened. My finds so far: $14.64 exercise bike, a huge globe for $4.64, two patio tables for $12.00 for the two, a bunch of “objects” for my deck and garden, and a few loads of other “stuff” for 88 cents a piece. I love it there. I asked the cashier why the prices had strange “cents” on the end of them and she said they have a system because so many people try to change the prices. Imagine that – changing prices at a thrift store? Who would have thought.

40 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:52 am

I wondered about the strange prices too. Thanks for the info!

And I was eyeballing a huge globe when I was in there. I wonder if it’s the one you bought!

41 Mary May 31, 2011 at 11:51 am

I had a yard sale a few weeks ago and called Thrift King for pick up of the leftovers. A nice man showed up with a truck when he said he would and loaded up the unsold merchandise. I’m almost embarrassed to say the picture of the first dresser is from my son’s room, my kids use shelves for clothes now. I love this store.

42 Kimba June 2, 2011 at 9:51 am

Are you kidding me? That’s a crazy coincidence! And thanks for the tip about them picking up unsold garage sale merchandise. I’ll definitely be tucking that away for future reference!

43 Bethany June 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I never heard of this place and i am local. A list of local Westmoreland stores would be fantastic !

44 Amy V. June 10, 2011 at 8:12 am

Bethany: I live right off Rt. 30 in Irwin and my regular spots are all along 30. The huge Goodwill in N. Versailles, the Salvation Army in N. Versailles, and Goodwill in Irwin. If I’m out near the mall I always hit the Goodwill back by Toys R Us, too. Now, I’ve added Thrift King since they opened. (My least fav is the Goodwill in N. Versailles – but I’ve found a few good things there).

45 Jean @ White Wicker Hamper June 23, 2011 at 3:13 am

Looks awesome i like the wicker table so unique looks like native design. great blog post:)
Jean @ White Wicker Hamper´s last blog ..White Wicker Laundry Hampers – Offering a Convenient and Gorgeous Way to Organize Your LaundryMy ComLuv Profile