Sprucing Up the Back Porch with Hanging Baskets: A Quick Tip

by Kimba on May 31, 2011

in In the Garden

Hello friends! I hope you all had a lovely holiday weekend. We spent a lot of time sprucing up the outside of the house since it FINALLY stopped raining for 2 days straight. What a relief. But it wasn’t all work…we snuck in a little time for a family get-together and some hanging out on the porch.

One of my favorite things about the porch is that it gives me a space to hang big baskets of flowers. There’s something about those baskets that makes my space feel so fresh and summery. And since my porch becomes my summer office, I really need to spruce it up a bit.

Last year I put ferns on the back porch. Loved them!

And waaaay back in 2009, I wrote a post showing you how to transfer your baskets from those plain plastic containers into pretty baskets with liners. It’s so easy and getting rid of those plastic pots gives your plants so much more room to grow and bloom.

The big downside of those iron baskets with the coconut liners is that your soil dry out so quickly. I usually have to water everyday and on the hottest days, I water twice. Too much work!

I finally came upon a solution and I can’t believe I didn’t figure it out sooner. Garbage bags!!! Just line your coconut baskets with a single layer of garbage bag plastic and they won’t dry out so quickly. Here’s how I did it.

Cut around 3 sides of the garbage bag so you have one large piece of plastic. Then lay a section of your plastic loosely inside your coconut liner.

Trim the plastic to fit your liner.

Make sure you cut a few holes in the plastic. You still need some drainage or your roots will rot. Then add your soil and plants like normal.

And that’s it! Quick and easy and it’s going to save me a lot of watering time this summer.

Do you plant hanging baskets? What’s in ‘em?

1 Heather May 31, 2011 at 8:58 am

Great tip! I never knew about the trash bags! Love those hanging pots. I really need to get some more out on my porch and deck.
Heather´s last blog ..Prom ShotsMy ComLuv Profile

2 The Mommy Therapy May 31, 2011 at 9:10 am

These looks fantastic. I’m always afraid to hang them because I feel like they’ll die in about two seconds in the Texas heat. Maybe I’ll give this a try though. It looks like alteringly beautiful.

Thanks for sharing!
The Mommy Therapy´s last blog ..Dear Tantrum Throwing Offspring-My ComLuv Profile

3 Deborah May 31, 2011 at 9:33 am

That’s funny, you do the same thing I do! I use the disposable plastic shopping bags laid flat for mine. They are smaller and come about 1 1/2″ from the top but I only need it for the bottom to hold in some water. Plus they already have lots of little tears in them that allow the water to drain at at slow rate.
Great minds think alike? Okay, I guess I’m giving my brain a higher status than it deserves. :)

4 Brooke @ Inside-Out Design May 31, 2011 at 9:57 am

Oh I want a porch so badly. Your hanging flowers are so pretty! That is a great tip with the garbage bag; I’ll have to remember that!

5 T R May 31, 2011 at 10:06 am

Gotta tip for ya’ll! Water crystals! I started mixing them in with my potting soil a few years ago and they’ve worked GREAT for me! Those lil puppies plump right up during rain storms and I hardly ever have to water my outdoor container plants. Yeeeehaw! I did nasturtiums in my baskets this year. They love that hot dry weather and don’t mind crappy soil plus I get lots and lots of beautiful blooms and lily pad like foliage dripping down everywhere. :)

6 Hayley May 31, 2011 at 10:23 am

OOhhh I like this tip a lot better that what I was doing! I didn’t do any hanging baskets this year, but I do have a hanging iron piece on our fence that I put a single potato vine and Mexican heather in. I stuck with things I haven’t killed in the past, HA!

7 Tamara May 31, 2011 at 10:41 am

Great water-retention tip for hanging baskets. I water 2 times a day as well by the end of the season but we have an easy, automatic watering system. EVERYONE should have one of those :)

8 Ever - The red house by the lake May 31, 2011 at 10:52 am

Good idea! I love flowers, but hate watering.

I just wanted to tell you… when I have seen those kind of hanging baskets, there have always been holes made in the coconut lining and plants have been planted “all the way around” the basket. I kind of thought that was what they were for, I never really thought about how nice looking they actually are.

9 Carmel May 31, 2011 at 11:19 am

What a great tip! I wish I had known to do this last week :) Oh well- there’s always next summer!

10 Melissa May 31, 2011 at 1:08 pm

AND right now in UTAH they have the hanging baskets and coconut husks at the dollar tree:)

11 martha garrett May 31, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Love your baskets, what a great idea, I’m going to try the ferns this year, usually, I hang impatients, and geranioums.

12 Deborah May 31, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Love your baskets and thanks for sharing that tip!
I chose whatever colour I want for a theme on the deck…Im not sure yet what I want!!
Today os very hot and feels just like summer!!

Deborah xoxo
Deborah´s last blog ..Sunshine spilling overMy ComLuv Profile

13 Gina Stoney May 31, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I just saw on someone else’s blog that they used a disposable diaper, the super absorbent type, be sure to punch holes in them if you use one.

14 Heathahlee May 31, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Very smart! I love the look of hanging baskets but haven’t done any myself. I’d love to hang ferns (they are my favorite…they look so summery) on the front porch. When I do, I’ll be sure to do your little trick. : )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..My Dining Room Set Needs Help and a Giveaway!My ComLuv Profile

15 a woman who is May 31, 2011 at 5:29 pm

That is what I am suppose to be doing today =) Love the plastic liner idea!
a woman who is´s last blog ..Monet Arch and GatesMy ComLuv Profile

16 Rondell May 31, 2011 at 5:38 pm

I planted two this year and I’ll be sure to remember to add the plastic next year!

Rondell

17 Kelly May 31, 2011 at 10:48 pm

This year I did sweet potato vine with coleus in the middle of my hanging baskets as well as the pots on my deck. The sweet potato vine got full and drapey and fabulous last year so I wanted to try them in my hanging pots. so far they are looking good. I like that it is just colorful foliage and there is nothing to dead-head and no flower petals falling and sticking to my deck.
Kelly´s last blog ..Prayers needed!My ComLuv Profile

18 Amelia@ Home Decors June 1, 2011 at 5:34 am

Nice porch Kimba. Aside from big baskets, have you tried putting up bamboo or wooden wind chimes? You can also try some wind arts or wind spinners. They all will look stunning in your lovely porch.

Last spring, I designed one of my friends’ porch with a hanging planters and pots.
Amelia@ Home Decors´s last blog ..Space Doesn’t Matter- Make Your Home Office Fabulous with Wind ChimesMy ComLuv Profile

19 Jeannine June 1, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I’ve been using the plastic grocery store bags for about four years. However, I haven’t repotted yet this year, so just dead branches from last year in my baskets. Thanks for sharing.

20 Haley June 1, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Great tips.This is the first time I have known about trash bag.
Thanks for your sharing.It’s the good way to protect our enviroment
Haley´s last blog ..5 Relaxation techniques for anxietyMy ComLuv Profile

21 Comeca Jones June 2, 2011 at 6:06 am

Lovely

22 Ches June 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Thanks for the tip! Never thought of lining the baskets before. Stop by and see my flower bed and hanging baskets.

23 bobbi June 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

You can also put those small plastic pot overflow trays (the onesthat you sit under a pot) in the bottom of the coconut liner and it holds water in the plant too! Great tip with the trash bags!