Flowers for Cutting

by Kimba on May 26, 2011

in decorating,In the Garden

There are few things that I love as much as fresh-cut flowers in the house. They add such freshness and life to a room that I’ll shell out a few bucks when I find some that I love.

These spider mums were the best deal at Wal-Mart the other day. $5 for a bouquet of 7 flowers is a steal. And if I change their water regularly, they’ll last for well over a week…sometimes 2.

But now that it’s planting season, I’m ready to add a small cutting garden to my yard. I love having some plants specifically for cutting bouquets. It’s great to be able to walk out into my backyard and cut my very own flowers for bouquets to bring into the house or to share with friends and neighbors.

Kitty Cooper’s Garden

A cutting garden can be a big or as small as you like. I doesn’t need to be some huge separate area in your garden. A small bed against your foundation will work just fine.

Here are a few annual flowers that are perfect for a cutting garden:

• Dahlias
  • Snapdragons
  • Zinnias
  • Salvia
  • Phlox
  • Sunflowers

And a few of my favorite perennials for cutting are:

• Shasta daisies
  • Coneflowers
  • Hydrangeas

And may I say a word about vases? I guess you can’t really say no, can you? Over the years, I have collected a vast collection of vases in every shape, size and color. But one particular style remains my hands-down favorite. These narrow-necked vases are so easy to use that I go back to them over and over.

It’s work to arrange a beautiful bouquet in a large vase. But you look like a floral-guru when you stick a single stem or two in a narrow-necked vase. Plus, they have a beautiful shape even when they’re empty.

What are your favorite flowers for cutting?

1 Michelle May 26, 2011 at 9:49 am

I used spider mums in great vases from IKEA for my wedding centerpieces! They have such a crisp, clean look to them! Love.

2 randee May 26, 2011 at 9:58 am

my favorites are dahlias & zinnias for cutting & if it ever stops raining, maybe i’ll get some planted! & i always add a sprig of herbs to the vase, as well.

we used narrow necked turquoise vases with gerbera daisies for my daughter’s wedding 5 years ago & the vases are as in style today as they were then.

your last photo is so beautiful. perhaps suitable for framing?

3 kathysue May 26, 2011 at 10:01 am

I don’t think there is anything that can lift my spirits like a flower. Just one in a vase can be enough. Love your spider mums in the turquoise vases, lovely and happy,Kathysue

4 james May 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

i live in an apartment right now and dont have a place for a flower garden. we are moving soon and i can’t wait to start one.
james´s last blog ..My ComLuv Profile

5 The Mommy Therapy May 26, 2011 at 11:18 am

I dream of having a cutting garden! I feel like here in Texas it would be a collection of brown wilted sadness most of the time. It was 100 degrees here yesterday, that makes me very depressed.

If I could though, I would have hydrangeas and tulips – those are my favorite!
The Mommy Therapy´s last blog ..I Might Make Really Good Stuffed Peppers – Its A Recipe-Ish PeopleMy ComLuv Profile

6 Brown Eyed Girl May 26, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Hardy mums are wonderful for cutting for bouquets and vases. I love them. I have several planted around my backyard beds, and look forward to their fall bloom time every year.

7 Kristen@PrettySweet May 26, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I feel the same way! The spider mums are lovely! My husband got me a pretty bouquet from Wal-mart, I think, a few weeks ago and the sunflowers lasted almost two weeks. I was impressed.

As for growing flowers in the yard, I loooove zinnias, hydrangeas, dahlias, and calla lilies. I was SO happy when the calla lilies came back this year and now they’re bigger and better than before! I had to buy another plant to celebrate. =)
Kristen@PrettySweet´s last blog ..The Tea BoutiqueMy ComLuv Profile

8 Alia May 26, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Hi,

Im ur follower!

Great site, love the posts!

Do visit my blog too at http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

9 Amelia@ Garden Decors May 27, 2011 at 6:07 am

I also like having fresh cut flowers inside my house, especially in the living room and the dining area. There’s something about fresh flowers that makes a room’s ambiance more joyful and lovely.

In the past, I used to always cut and decorate my house with roses, but I seldom do it now because I’m always busy with work and the kids. It’s such a shame coz our roses were in full bloom this spring. I just hope I can cut some this summer.
Amelia@ Garden Decors´s last blog ..Improve Your Health with Wooden Wind Chimes and Bamboo Wind ChimesMy ComLuv Profile

10 T R May 27, 2011 at 9:02 am

I plant several pots of snapdragons every year just for cutting. The hubster doesn’t get it but goes along with me ‘cuz a happy wife is…well…a happy wife! It’s almost a spiritual thing to wake up and see a jelly jar packed full of beautiful snaps beaming back at you from the dresser. A neighbor just gave me another large pot that she wasn’t using so it’s off to the nursery again to get another 6 pack of my favorite Rocket Red Snapdragons! EEEEEEE!

11 Ches May 27, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I love to add flowers in my rooms. Hoping to work in my flower garden this weekend.

12 nella May 28, 2011 at 1:56 am

i prefer my flowers growing in my garden or in a flowerpot …. i dont say that it is not nice …. i dont know why i just dont feel comfortable with it.
nella´s last blog ..Best NLP books for beginnersMy ComLuv Profile

13 Elisabeth May 28, 2011 at 8:18 am

I never would have thought about those type of vases but I know what you mean. I had some roses and all my vases had too big of necks so the roses weren’t presented as nice as they could have been.

I would love to have a flower bed that I could cut but the soil here in Arizona is so hard to work with. I guess it’s just another one of those projects where you have to work at it a little more (like bringing in soil) to get the results you desire. (sigh)

14 Lindsey Petersen May 28, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Those flowers are so elegant, so dainty, and I don’t know why I never noticed how much joy flowers can bring to a house.
Lindsey Petersen´s last blog ..To Church Again- To Church Again!My ComLuv Profile

15 Bench1 June 24, 2011 at 9:34 am

I love the spider mums, they are so beautiful. Simple yet beautiful!