Farmhouse Apple Cake

by Kimba on May 10, 2011

in In the Kitchen

I love trying out new recipes. Especially when I already have all the ingredients in my pantry. When I stumbled across this recipe for Farmhouse Apple Cake, I clipped it out the paper and got to work.

This dessert is so jam-packed full of apples, that you can’t really call it a cake. I prefer to think of it as a tart or even a full serving of fruit. Work with me here.

Farmhouse Apple Cake

8 tablespoons unsalted butter – 1 tablespoon for greasing pan, plus 7 more
1/2 cup whole milk
5 Golden Delicious apples
2 large eggs
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 9 or 10-inch springform pan. You can also wrap the bottom of the pan with tin foil so it doesn’t leak.

Measure the milk into a microwavable measuring cup. Cut 7 tablesppons of butter into pieces and add to the milk. Microwave for a minute or two, until the butter is just melted. Set aside to cool.

Peel, core and quarter the apples. Slice the apple quarters into thin slices, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. I used my mandolin, but you can also do it by hand.

Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl with a wire wisk until the sugar is dissolved. This take about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, then add the milk-butter mixture and the vanilla. Blend thoroughly. Quickly stir in the baking powder.

Fold in the sliced apples and pour the mixture into the pan.

Place the pan directly on the floor of the gas oven for 10 minutes. Transfer the pan to the center rack and bake until cake is well browned on top and knife inserted into the center comes out clean, for about an hour longer.

If you have an electric oven, place the pan on the lowest rack for the entire cooking time.

Place the cake on a cooling rack. When cool enough to handle, run a thin knife around the cake and remove the springform ring. Serve warm.

I, of course, couldn’t wait for it to cool and I pulled out the first slice a little too soon which lead to a somewhat messy slice. But nothing that a little caramel sauce and whipped cream couldn’t disguise.

Subsequent slices came out more cleanly…and equally deliciously.

Linking up to Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.

1 Amanda May 10, 2011 at 9:09 am

This looks amazing!! I saved the recipe for Father’s Day to try- Thanks for sharing.
Amanda´s last blog ..Smother your MotherMy ComLuv Profile

2 Jessica May 10, 2011 at 9:18 am

Oh that looks delish! I’m wondering how many points that is on weight watchers. lol.

3 Sam May 11, 2011 at 2:45 pm

For one peice, or the whole entire cake? It looks delicious, I am not sure that I would be able to stop!
Sam´s last blog ..The Summit at Cheat Lake Spring Celebration!My ComLuv Profile

4 Claudia May 10, 2011 at 10:05 am

Oh YUM! That looks so good!!!

5 Joy May 10, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Totally yummy.
- Joy

6 Rebecca May 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm

This looks absolutely delicious and I’d like to try it. Looking at the pictures I was wondering if the bottom gets a little over-cooked. Would you bake it on the lowest rack again or on the middle rack? It could just be carmelized yumminess that I’m seeing! (-:

7 Debbie May 10, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Yummmy…this and a cup of coffee could make me a very happy person right about now. I love how this looks…and I can almost tast it. That means I have to make one. Thanks for the recipe.
Debbie
Debbie´s last blog ..Please let me bragpleaseMy ComLuv Profile

8 The Mommy Therapy May 10, 2011 at 3:57 pm

This looks delicious! I have been looking for a new dessert to try and this sounds and looks amazing.

Thanks for sharing!
The Mommy Therapy´s last blog ..Pants on Fire and Other Stuff Keeping Me BusyMy ComLuv Profile

9 Nikki May 10, 2011 at 10:57 pm

Butter, sugar, flour…you can’t go wrong. YUM! I can’t wait to make it (and eat it).

10 Heathahlee May 10, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. That looks sooooooooooo yummy! So…what if I don’t have a spring-form pan? Will it come out if I use a regular cake pan and turn it upside down?
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Bible in 90 Days – Finished on time!My ComLuv Profile

11 Kate May 11, 2011 at 8:29 pm

This looks absolutely delicious and easy to prepare as well… I’m going to try that right now (!!!) and also I have a suggestion – use some vanilla ice cream instead of the cream…the combination between the hot cake and the cold ice cream will be amazing…. promise :)
Kate´s last blog ..Different Techniques On How To Choose The Best Forex ExchangeMy ComLuv Profile

12 karen ho fatt@best fire pit reviews May 13, 2011 at 12:47 am

My 4 year old niece asked for some apple pie today- we went out and bought her some. Apple pie recipe is one that will never grow old- I think I made it every which way I could as a teenager. It is still my favorite pie. Looks like I am going to have to try this one too!
karen ho fatt@best fire pit reviews´s last blog ..Fire Pit Propane Tank Safety Tips- Use- Care &amp TroubleshootingMy ComLuv Profile

13 Christina May 13, 2011 at 1:28 am

It’s hot in California, but I wouldn’t mind turning on the oven for this amazing Apple Cake! I can’t wait to try it!! I agree with you, I will use the Mandoline to slice the apples.
Thank you for sharing this recipe, it looks very simple :)
Christina´s last blog ..Recipe WednesdaysMy ComLuv Profile

14 Foam Crafts May 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Wow that looks good!!
Foam Crafts´s last blog ..How to make your Crafts and Activities for Children easierMy ComLuv Profile

15 Stephanie B. June 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Stumbled upon your recipe recently and have since made it three times. I lovelovelove it! SO good, thank you for sharing!!!