Spring Spruce-Up: DIY Doormat

by Kimba on April 20, 2011

in Crafty Stuff,Do it yourself,Seasonal Projects

My poor front stoop looked severely neglected after a long, hard winter. The doormat was literally torn in two. And the ick and gunk that had accumulated underneath it was too horrifying to mention.

Not very welcoming is it? It’s a little too soon (up here in the cold midwest) to put out my flower pots, but I figured I could at least spruce the place up with a personalized welcome mat.

This little DIY couldn’t have been easier. I am so in love with it that I think it will be my go-to housewarming gift. Here’s what I used:

• A plain doormat – Mine came from Lowes, but I’m sure you could fine one anywhere. IKEA has a coir mat that would be perfect for this project.
  • Masking tape – I used 3″ and 1″ tapes
  • Exterior spray paint – I used Krylon Outdoor Spaces in Earth
  • A big letter – I used a wooden letter that I had laying around but I could have just as easily cut one out of cardstock.
  • Diet Dr. Pepper – optional

I used masking tape to cover up the areas that I didn’t want painted. If you don’t have the right size masking tape on hand, you could easily use paper strips to create your borders. Just secure them in place with straight pins.

On my mat, I created one border using the 3″ masking tape and the 1″ tape to create a second border, leaving about one inch between the two. I used a ruler to make sure that my borders were even the whole way around the mat. Since there is some texture to my mat, the masking tape doesn’t stick perfectly. That’s ok.

I put the letter in the center of my mat and masked off two smaller areas that I thought I wanted to stay the original color. I changed my mind later, but it was an easy fix.

Next, I gave all the exposed areas a good coat of my spray paint. The trick to this step is to spray straight down as much as possible. If you spray at an angle, you risk getting paint under your tape.

Let the whole thing dry for about an hour.

Now comes the fun part! Hold your breath and start peeling back your tape. Did it work????

YES!!!!! After I pulled off all the tape, I decided that I didn’t like the little lines next to my “R”, so I used my drop cloth to cover up everything but those two little sections and covered them with paint. Easy peasy.

Since I used exterior paint, it should hold up, but I’ll keep you posted.

Expense for this little project? About $20. And that was all for the mat. Everything else I had on hand. I think I’m going to make another one with our house number on it.

Does your front porch need a little spruce up?

Linking up with SAS Day!

1 Sam April 20, 2011 at 9:18 am

That is a great idea!! These harsh Pittsburgh Winters always destroy our doormat, I was thinking of just moving somewhere warm instead of replacing it this year :)
Sam´s last blog ..Advantages and Disadvantages of Selling Your Home in the SpringMy ComLuv Profile

2 Kelly @ Wisdom Begun April 20, 2011 at 9:23 am

Wow, that is a pretty awesome project. I am definitely going to try it myself. Thank you so much for the inspiration!
Kelly @ Wisdom Begun´s last blog ..It’s the little things My ComLuv Profile

3 Nadir@StitchSense April 20, 2011 at 9:34 am

Wonderful idea! The mat looks great & so welcoming, you’re right that it would make a great house warming gift! :-)

4 Angie April 20, 2011 at 9:34 am

I LOVE this project!! Your doormat looks amazing, great job! I’m going to try this!

5 Jessica@SewHomegrown April 20, 2011 at 9:37 am

seriously love this. how easy?!?
Jessica@SewHomegrown´s last blog ..Cleaning-Organizing Tip- Childrens BooksMy ComLuv Profile

6 The Mommy Therapy April 20, 2011 at 9:48 am

This is fantastic. I love it.

Also love that you just had a huge R hanging around. That wouldn’t happen to me. I’ll work on it though.

Thanks for sharing!
The Mommy Therapy´s last blog ..Heres a Helpful Tip LadiesMy ComLuv Profile

7 April the Wholesale Flooring Ace April 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

Hey Kimba,
This is great. I particularly like the idea of putting my house numbers on the mat. One question, do you have to spray paint it? I have a lot of exterior door paint left over from painting my door (a quart was overkill). Is there a way I could re-use that paint (it would match my door!)

April

8 Angela April 20, 2011 at 10:10 am

Oh my gosh!! I love this how to! I’ve been looking at a rug at Pottery Barn that runs $59.00-$109.00 http://www.potterybarn.com/products/personalized-door-mat/?pkey=cearth-friendly-rugs-windows
This would make it SO easy to copy for so much less $$! Awesome job!
Angela´s last blog ..Wonderful Random WednesdayMy ComLuv Profile

9 Lisa April 20, 2011 at 10:16 am

I love this even more because I would choose an R too! I have a rubber mat I would like to do this to. I was thinking of using paint instead of spray paint because I don’t know if it will stick to rubber.
Lisa´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesdays- Finally One Sunny Day!My ComLuv Profile

10 Audra O. April 20, 2011 at 11:07 am

Mine does! We moved in about 6 weeks ago, and I still haven’t found a door mat that I like for the front. I may steal, er, borrow your house number idea. :)

11 Sherrie April 20, 2011 at 11:42 am

Cute! Cute! Cute! Thank you for the tutorial :0)

12 Joy April 20, 2011 at 11:47 am

Very nice and very useful tutorial. Thanks.
- Joy

13 Claudia April 20, 2011 at 11:51 am

I LOVE this! I may have to copy this for my front door, thank you for sharing, Kimba!!

14 Heathahlee April 20, 2011 at 12:05 pm

I love that! When my husband gets around to painting my porch I’ll try this, seeing as how we have NO mat out front. Not good! : )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Milk on TapMy ComLuv Profile

15 Heather R. April 20, 2011 at 12:23 pm

What great idea! It turned out so nice.

16 Elsa April 20, 2011 at 12:38 pm

What a great project! I’m going to have to bookmark it to give it a try.

17 Stephanie@cre8tive April 20, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Wow, what a great way to personalize your front entry! It is funny how the paint makes the mat look 3 dimensional. I love it.

18 Ever - The red house by the lake April 20, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Love, love that idea!

I saw a similiar project on a round mat, but I never really thought about putting our initials or house number on a mat. That will look just great! Will definitely have to try that!

19 Gmama Jane April 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm

I am a new follower and in love with this easy peasy doormat idea! I have just been cleaning my front porch since I live down here in the deep south…Alabama where spring has sprung and porches are being Opened for Sitting season! I so need a new door mat! I will make one next week…pay day!
Blessings
Gmama Jane
P.S.
I just posted some terrific Strawberry recipes today and more tomorrow so hop on over to my blog and have these recipes ready for when spring finally arrives at your house!
Gmama Jane´s last blog ..ITS STRAWBERRY TIMEMy ComLuv Profile

20 laura @ the shorehouse April 20, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Brills!! Very well played by you!

21 Kelli April 20, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I did something very similar to the same doormat from Lowes a few weeks ago! I made a contact paper stencil and sprayed on a W in the corner:) I love the idea of using the wooden letter, because now you can use the letter for other projects too! Here’s a link to my doormat if you want to check it out: http://the-wilson-world.blogspot.com/2011/03/five-minute-monogrammed-doormat.html
Kelli´s last blog ..Adding a Little SpringMy ComLuv Profile

22 Yvonne @ StoneGable April 20, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Hi Kimba,
YOur new door mat is really chic! LOVE the letter on it! And it was so easy. My doormat could use a re-do too!
Thanks for the inspiraton!
Yvonne

23 Janna April 21, 2011 at 12:29 am

this is such a great idea! i have been trying to find a mat everywhere!

24 Crystal April 21, 2011 at 2:02 am

I cannot WAIT to try this. Will you come hold my hand, though? Because I’m liable to end up with a spray-painted face. My trigger finger is unreliable at best.

25 Kellyology April 21, 2011 at 9:50 am

LOVE this DIY project. I already have tape and about 8 gazillion cans of spray paint lying around. I think I’m going to try it!
Kellyology´s last blog ..Grocery Shopping on a BudgetMy ComLuv Profile

26 Simply Sara April 21, 2011 at 10:24 am

What a great idea! I shared your page on my blog, can’t wait to try this….

27 Cat April 21, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Love this project…it is like leaving your MARK (or at least initial) on your doorstep :)

Oh, your previous mat was sure a sad sight…winter can be tough on an outdoor rug for sure!

xx Cat brideblu

28 Terrie @Your Decorating Hotline April 21, 2011 at 6:24 pm

I read your blog all the time and appreciate all the projects you share. This time I just had to comment – it’s so simple, so clever and so classy looking. And, it fits right in with the whole monogram letter trend. This one definitely stays in my DIY project file! Thanks.

29 Lisa Lyons April 21, 2011 at 7:33 pm

What a great idea! I cant believe how easy it looks to do! I would have never thought to do that! Great inspiration!

Lisa

30 Lesley @ The Design File April 21, 2011 at 11:44 pm

What a fun idea. I’ve got to include this in my Sunday roundup!
Lesley @ The Design File´s last blog ..Guest post- Making pysanky- a family traditionMy ComLuv Profile

31 Megan April 22, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Looks just like the fancy monogrammed ones you can buy!! Great job!!

And don’t be toooo jealous, I just spruced up my flower pots and my deck but its rained so much AND turned cold again that in the past 2 weeks we haven’t even sat outside one time!! ;(

Megan´s last blog ..Baby Girls Room- A Spring Clean &amp A TourMy ComLuv Profile

32 Mimi April 23, 2011 at 9:53 am

I’m so glad I found this post at Just a Girl’s link! My mat is almost totally trashed. I’m heading to lowe’s for paint this morning and will grab a mat too! Thanks for sharing!

33 Jill April 24, 2011 at 12:21 am

This looks fantastic! I’ve seen so many painted rugs, but I’m definitely too scared to try it on something for inside – I think I might just have to give this a try!

34 Amy April 25, 2011 at 2:45 pm

This doormat is SO cute! I absolutely love it!! You are so creative, Kimba!!
Amy´s last blog ..Applebee’s Honey Grilled SalmonMy ComLuv Profile

35 Simply Sara May 31, 2011 at 5:39 am

I tried this idea, it ended up great!! :) Love it, so easy, and it looks great!! :)