Kid’s Art Gallery Wall ~ The Reveal

by Kimba on April 6, 2011

in Artwork,decorating,Do it yourself

Oh happy day! I finally did it! I finally finished the children’s art gallery wall that has been inside my head for over a year. For the last 2 days, I’ve been shopping my house to get all the frames I need, picking out kid’s artwork (and commissioning a few new pieces) and spray painting some of those frames to get the cohesive look I was after.

Hello beautiful!

But this isn’t just any gallery wall, this is a gallery wall with a chalkboard wall on the bottom! It’s 2 projects in 1! It looked like this for exactly 24 hours…that’s the amount of time that the chalkboard paint must cure before you can write on it.

My boys were literally waiting with chalk in hand while the last 5 minutes clicked down. But who can blame them? How often does mom encourage you to write on the wall?

The “before” picture looks so sad now. It’s between my sons’ bedrooms at the end of the upstairs hallway. You can’t really do much with the space because any furniture blocks their bedroom doors. So the idea for this gallery wall was born.

And now, I’m totally smitten. Is it wrong to love a wall this much? The best part is that I didn’t spend one single dime on the whole project.

I have a rather sizable collection of frames that I’ve found at thrift stores and on clearance. Some of them were already white and I spray painted the rest with Rustoleum’s Blossom White. I had the chalkboard paint in my stash from a project last year and, of course, the artwork was free! I love all the colors and the little extras that I was able to work into this gallery wall. Everything on that wall means love to me.

In the next few days, I’ll share some “how-to’s” and tips for putting together a gallery wall like this one. But for now, I just want to look at this picture.

That made it all worth it for me.

Click here for some tips and tricks for creating a gallery wall.

1 Niki April 5, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I read a LOT of blog and I do not have kids yet, but this is one of the BEST and cutest ideas I have seen. Thank you so much for posting!

2 Heather April 5, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I LOVE this wall, you have completely inspired me. I have a space just like this in between my girl’s rooms. I also have chalkboard paint from a different project. I need to start working on this, Thank you for sharing :)

3 Joy April 5, 2011 at 9:31 pm

What a great idea – and what a great job you did. Looking forward to the “how to” post.
- Joy

4 Holly April 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm

How sweet-both the wall, and the boys’ response! I wish I had a wall to use for this kind of project. . .

5 Laura April 5, 2011 at 9:48 pm

How fun. And I just love that watermelon!
Laura´s last blog ..Ashleys Story and The Purple Dress ProjectMy ComLuv Profile

6 Leanne April 5, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Oh I love this wall. What a great idea! I’m going to have to think of where I could put one. My younger kids would love this. What a sweet message to you too.

7 Linda @ Lime in the Coconut April 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Oh…Pretty darn ADORABLE!

8 Emily@remodelingthislife April 5, 2011 at 10:09 pm

LOVE it!! You did good. I just want to say that I love your tagline because it’s just how I feel when I come here. That you share *real* and it’s beautiful for the perfect everyday with family.

9 Chrissy April 5, 2011 at 10:16 pm

Love it! I’m so tempted to do this in the hallway to my kids’ rooms now! You did a great job and your little ones did too!
Chrissy´s last blog ..My Mommy Rules- Chapter 4My ComLuv Profile

10 Annie April 5, 2011 at 10:19 pm

I just finished my gallery wall, check it out if you have time. For you wall, it is amazing, I could so see doing this at the end of my hall for it links to all the bedrooms. Great look. Congrats.

11 Vanessa April 5, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Wow!!! This is sooooo cute! I know your boys love it! I love how the frame grouping is large enough so that it stretches from wall to wall. Love it! Thanks for sharing!

12 Jamie April 5, 2011 at 10:37 pm

This is flat out gorgeous. I’m thinking I have the perfect wall in my house to do something similar. Thanks for the inspiration!!

13 Jen@ LittleMissPennyWenny April 5, 2011 at 10:42 pm

That is too cute for words! I love the idea of utilizing that space where you can’t really put any furniture. Great work!

14 Leighann Marquiss April 5, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I love it! What a great idea.

15 Kristi April 5, 2011 at 11:16 pm

You did a beautiful job on this wall! I can tell it’s full of love. My kids are all older now …..this makes me nostalgic. Our oldest is graduating this year. You inspired me to get out some of that artwork I’ve saved through the years and display it!
Great job!

16 Kimba April 6, 2011 at 9:21 am

Thanks Kristi. :) Going through my kiddos sweet artwork made me think about how quickly the time is passing.

17 Logan April 5, 2011 at 11:26 pm

I love how you thought to frame the light switch. Excellent project that will provide years and years of entertainment.

18 Amy April 5, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I love this! What a great idea! Now I am trying to think of where I could do this in my house.

19 melissa @ the inspired room April 5, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Oh my. CUTENESS. Do I say that every time I come here? Adorable. THANK YOU for working so hard on this to be ready for the party, it is so precious!
melissa @ the inspired room´s last blog ..Gallery Wall Party!My ComLuv Profile

20 Laura April 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm

I am definitely impressed. Way to go — looks fabulous! I love how sweet your kids are!!
Laura´s last blog ..Sweet Potato Yam Black Bean Chili AND Orange CornbreadMy ComLuv Profile

21 cheryl April 6, 2011 at 12:51 am

I really, really, really love this. . . . I love everything about it.

22 Jaime @ OH SO Chichi April 6, 2011 at 4:59 am

This is fantastic … I absolutely love it! The chalkboard wall on the bottom is the absolute perfect touch! I think your choice of using white frames was perfect as it does not complete with the colors in the artwork and lends some uniformity.

I’m linking your post under “Inspirational Projects ” on my sidebar … it’s basically my “to list” of projects inspired by other bloggers!

Jaime @ ohsochichi.blogspot.com
Jaime @ OH SO Chichi´s last blog ..My First Video Tutorial!My ComLuv Profile

23 Kimba April 6, 2011 at 9:23 am

Thanks girl! I debated between white and black frames. I finally went with white because I had more that were already that color. And that meant less spray painting :) Design genius am I.

24 Glenda Childers April 6, 2011 at 5:14 am

Hi Kimba,

Just popping over from The Inspired Room. It is great to see your gallery wall. Mine is #10.

Fondly,
Glenda

Gg – Notes on the Journey

PS. You must be thrilled with how this turned out. And the picture of your son and the chalkboard . . . oh my. I just read that you can buy dustless chalk. A great idea.
Glenda Childers´s last blog ..It is PARTY TIME 2011 Ultimate Blog PartyMy ComLuv Profile

25 Kimba April 6, 2011 at 9:24 am

I am definitely on the hunt for some dustless chalk. Or chalkboard markers.

26 sarah April 6, 2011 at 6:59 am

love.

27 Caren April 6, 2011 at 7:44 am

Super cute and creative! My favorite line… “commissioned a few new pieces.” Love it!

28 Christi {Jealous Hands} April 6, 2011 at 8:25 am

Kimba, it turned out great! Love the chalkboard wall at the bottom (and the sweet note from your boys)!

29 ClassiclyAmber April 6, 2011 at 8:36 am

Ooooh I just LOVE this!! Love that you are showing off your kiddos’ artwork – and love LOVE the mega chalkboard at the bottom! It’s like a [constantly] ever-changing artwork wall! Awesome, awesome. :)
ClassiclyAmber´s last blog ..Super Easy Spring WreathMy ComLuv Profile

30 Kimba April 6, 2011 at 9:25 am

Thanks girl! I caught my youngest sneaking out of bed last night. He said he just had to draw on his wall. :)

31 Joy April 6, 2011 at 9:28 am

This is such a cute idea! Love it! Where did you get the piece of art that says “I prayed for this child…”?
Thanks!

32 Kimba April 6, 2011 at 9:59 am

Isn’t that piece great? It’s part of the Urban Soul collect on Dayspring.

This one was $17 and you can get 25% off with code MSM25. I want one of everything.

33 christi April 6, 2011 at 10:05 am

I’m crazy about it! Can’t WAIT to read about how you got all of the frames hung in such a perfect arrangement! That is THE reason I avoid wall groupings like this…too intimidated with getting it all hung neatly! :)

34 elz April 6, 2011 at 10:12 am

Aw, I love the sweet note. We have a chalkboard menu wall in our kitchen that my girls love to decorate while we are cooking. It’s lovely. Great job.

35 Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State April 6, 2011 at 10:12 am

I LOVE it! I wish I had a spot to do something similar. I really don’t though. :( Our hallway is wide, but at the end there is maybe 6 inches of space between doors? Oooh, wait, I might be able to do it at the other end!
Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State´s last blog ..A Plea For HelpMy ComLuv Profile

36 Elisabeth April 6, 2011 at 10:52 am

What a eye catching, interest filled wall! I love it and I’m just sure I could find a place in my house to incorporate this idea. Thanks for the inspiration!

Elisabeth

37 Heather R. April 6, 2011 at 11:08 am

I love it. What a perfect spot for it, too!

38 Pam April 6, 2011 at 11:08 am

This is just so happy and fantastic! Love it.
~Pam

39 Meli April 6, 2011 at 11:41 am

That lil note is proof enough that your efforts paid off!!! WOW! I am so impressed and now want to do this in my home….will be back for the “how to!” Thanks for the inspiration….it is so very lovely.

40 Sam April 6, 2011 at 11:55 am

What an awesome idea!! And a sweet tribute to your boys! I love it! And it keeps the refrigerator door clutter free!
Sam´s last blog ..Like Heartland Homes – Meet the Cake Boss!My ComLuv Profile

41 Autumn April 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Very nice. I love the color and authenticity of it. We’ve started something like this and you’ve just inspired me to finish it.

42 Laural Out Loud April 6, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I’m going to do this! There’s a perfect wall outside of the kids’ bedroom, but it has a bookshelf there now. So just need to figure out where to move the bookshelf to. Like, maybe the kids’ closet. But that would mean a closet redo. And then might as well paint. And finally get the right furniture.

My husband is going to be so mad at you, lol.

43 Kris April 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Oh wow! Great job, Kimba! I am inspired…..
Kris´s last blog ..1000 Gifts a GiveawayMy ComLuv Profile

44 Stacey April 6, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Oh I love it Kimba! I really need to pull together the art gallery project for our school room! I keep saying I’m going to do it, and I just need to DO IT!
Stacey´s last blog ..What I Wore WednesdayMy ComLuv Profile

45 traci` April 6, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Kimba! I love this idea! What a great use of space. And the kids’ artwork is priceless. :)
Traci

46 Mel @ Trailing After God April 6, 2011 at 1:27 pm

That is AWESOME! It looks amazing. Great job!

Blessings,
Mel
Please feel free to stop by: Trailing After God
Mel @ Trailing After God´s last blog ..Can You Disappoint GodMy ComLuv Profile

47 Mary Beth|Cupcakes and Crinoline April 6, 2011 at 2:19 pm

What a wonderful way to display your children’s artwork. Such a great {and inspiring} idea! Thank you. : )
Mary Beth|Cupcakes and Crinoline´s last blog ..Easter Crafts Fun with Marshmallow Bunnies and PeepsMy ComLuv Profile

48 Brown Eyed Girl April 6, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I totally love this idea, and am totally going to copy it, giant family letter, bible verse, and all! Love, Love, LOVE! LOL

49 Heathahlee April 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

You have done projects that I have loved before, but I think this one may be my favorite. When I saw the wall, I loved it, but when I saw that it was between the boys’ bedrooms, it almost made me cry. I don’t know why…maybe it was the love they will see from their Momey every time they write on that chalkboard. Maybe I’m still in shock over getting my guest room redone into my craft room by surprise this weekend. : ) I haven’t done a post yet, but I will!
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Where God LeadsMy ComLuv Profile

50 The Mommy Therapy April 6, 2011 at 3:20 pm

This is fantastic! Great idea and something that could be worked in to a lot of places. I think I might have found a weekend project! Thanks for sharing!
The Mommy Therapy´s last blog ..My Journey to Meth AddictionMy ComLuv Profile

51 Keri April 6, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I love this! I have been wanting to make a gallery in my hallway, but between my toddler and my husband, I knew I couldn’t put any frames on the lower half of the wall. Chalkboard paint would be great there!

52 Val April 6, 2011 at 3:47 pm

That looks wonderful. :)

53 Stephanie@Geezees April 6, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I love it so much! I love the idea of a children’s gallery wall and what a cute chalkboard wall!!
Stephanie@Geezees´s last blog ..What are your Family House RulesMy ComLuv Profile

54 Brittany C April 6, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I absolutely LOVE this idea! Hopefully our next home will have a playroom where I can do this – I’m saving the picture in my inspiration pictures! Great job!
-Brittany @ http://brittanyandmattcoleman.blogspot.com/
Brittany C´s last blog ..What’s Cookin’ Wednesday- Grilled Salmon with Rice Pilaf and Steamed BroccoliMy ComLuv Profile

55 Laura April 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Ok, I have seen a lot of kids’ art gallery walls…but this might just be my favorite! I just love it! It’s like it was meant to be this way. And I may or may not have teared up when I read your son’s thank-you on the wall. Sue me.
;)

56 Heather April 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm

This is an awesome idea! I have an empty wall in my hallway that would be perfect for something like this! Great idea. So sweet to actually give your son somewhere to ‘write on the wall’! Super sweet!

57 Tauja April 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm

This is a fabulous idea! I may have to use it in one of my boys rooms! Thanks for the inspiration!

58 Andrea@ourbluefrontdoor April 7, 2011 at 9:31 am

Just beautiful and colorful!! You rock Kimba! What a great use of space and there is noting better than your own children’s art.Thanks for sharing and inspiring!!
Andrea@ourbluefrontdoor´s last blog ..Pantry MakeoverMy ComLuv Profile

59 Catherine April 7, 2011 at 10:01 am

I love it! I had wanted to do the same chalkboard thing to a wall in my kitchen – sadly though, we’ll be moving cross country next month and I assume I won’t be able to do it to a rental house. Yours turned out great!

60 Holly April 7, 2011 at 7:05 pm

You really made a lovely focal point out of an unused wall. And obviously your boys love it! They will have great memories of this.

61 Sarah April 7, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I really like your wall! And the bottom part is a great idea!
Sarah´s last blog ..Picture frame wallMy ComLuv Profile

62 Amber C April 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm

I love it and I’m inspired! Must got buy chalkboard paint, etc.!

63 Marcy April 8, 2011 at 8:08 am

Kimba, I featured your blog at stylesson.com today. I love all of the crafts that you do. {I have some of your rosette-type pins that you made, and love wearing them!}
Marcy´s last blog ..A Soft Place to LandMy ComLuv Profile

64 Jen (Balancing Beauty and Bedlam) April 8, 2011 at 8:32 am

YEA!! CLapping with you!! LOVE IT! :)
Jen (Balancing Beauty and Bedlam)´s last blog ..New Printable Coupons Cell Phone loading CouponsMy ComLuv Profile

65 Mama MOE April 8, 2011 at 10:40 am

Dear Kimba,
This a fabulous before and after post! You did an amazing job and it is very inspiring! Thank you and show us all more! Much love, Mama MOE

66 Stacy April 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I love the chalkboard paint at the bottom and kids artwork on top! I have a long narrow hallway and I’ve been wondering what to do with it. I am so using this idea–thank you for sharing.

67 Colleen April 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm

This looks so cute!! I love how you used the artwork in the frames and then the chalkboard is just too adorable! Nice Job.
Colleen´s last blog ..Big dayMy ComLuv Profile

68 TN Mimi April 8, 2011 at 7:56 pm

What a wonderful idea! Turned out great!

69 kelly April 9, 2011 at 11:08 am

I don’t comment often but I had too today! This looks amazing:) you are totally inspiring me to do something similar in our family room!

70 Angela May 4, 2011 at 9:12 am

How beautiful!!

71 Candace May 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

LOVE this idea…had to re-share on my blog.