Foyer Cabinet Makeover: The Reveal

by Kimba on April 26, 2011

in Do it yourself,Furniture Rehab

I’m so happy that I finally get to share this cabinet makeover with you. One of my house goals for this year is to makeover my foyer so that it’s more functional and a little easier on the eyes. Step 1 was to find a storage cabinet to contain hats, gloves, scarves and other articles of clothing.

I was patient in my hunt for the perfect cabinet and that patience paid off back in February when I found the perfect piece at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. It was only $25 and it was hideous. But I could see the potential behind the 1970′s veneer and metal-grill hardware. It was in perfect condition and was solid-as-a-rock. Perfect for a transformation, but it sat in the garage for 2 months before I had time to make it pretty.

Before:

And there are drawers behind the cabinet doors on the top. Perfect for organizing the kid’s gear and junk.

After:

Yes, my friends. It is the same piece. White paint and new hardware made it beautiful!

And inside? A fabulous little surprise!

Usually, I’m all about the quickie spray paint makeover, but in this case, I wanted the finish to hold up well to some abuse by my boys. So I decided to do this makeover the right way. I cobbled together my technique with tips and tricks from Centsational Girl and Miss Mustard Seed. They’re both furniture painting gurus and I knew I could trust their advice.

Click here for the step-by-step details on how I painted this cabinet.

Linking up to SAS Day.

1 amy April 26, 2011 at 8:53 am

ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS – I want it!

2 jennifer April 26, 2011 at 8:55 am

Fabulous!

3 Heather R. April 26, 2011 at 8:56 am

It is absolutely beautiful. I have been contemplating painting my daughter’s bedroom furniture but it scares the crap out of me! LOL! Look forward to hearing more details on your make over. It really is stunning.

4 Stacy@RedDoorHome April 26, 2011 at 9:03 am

Such a great find! You really had a great vision for this piece. The drawers are such a unique feature make the cabinet not only pretty but very functional.

5 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:41 am

Thanks Stacy! That means a lot coming from you. You have incredible taste. :)
Kimba´s last blog ..How to Paint a Cabinet the Right WayMy ComLuv Profile

6 Rachel Jernas April 26, 2011 at 9:12 am

Kimba – I love the transformation!

7 Jennifer April 26, 2011 at 9:16 am

That is amazing! It’s hard to believe that it’s the same piece. I’m just starting to get into refinishing furniture – this is definitely an inspiration. Fabulous work, Kimba! I am SO impressed. :)

8 Lisa @ Shine Your Light April 26, 2011 at 9:25 am

Kimba!!!!!
WOWWWWWWW!
That is quite the transformation – and I love the drawers inside (pretty & functional!!) That is an AWESOME furniture makeover!!

9 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:43 am

Thanks girl!
Kimba´s last blog ..How to Paint a Cabinet the Right WayMy ComLuv Profile

10 Kristen@PrettySweet April 26, 2011 at 9:31 am

Pretty *and* functional. There’s nothing better! Love all the drawers!
Kristen@PrettySweet´s last blog ..Youre Gonna Need Smore PeepsMy ComLuv Profile

11 Donna April 26, 2011 at 9:44 am

Wow…what a transformation…I have 3 quick questions…(1)..what type of paint did you use; (2) roller or brush and (3)…drying time?…am in the process of a bedroom remodel and could use all the tips I can get…I have 2 large pieces to paint and want to do it “right”…

Again…impressive…what a statement…can’t wait to see your follow up …

12 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:45 am

Thanks Donna! I think I hit the paint type and roller or brush questions in my follow-up. But I didn’t really talk about the drying time…I need to add that.

I let each coat of primer dry for about 4 hours and the same with each coat of paint. Then I let the whole thing dry for about 48 hours before I coated it with the poly. Hope that helps!
Kimba´s last blog ..How to Paint a Cabinet the Right WayMy ComLuv Profile

13 Jen April 26, 2011 at 9:50 am

Fantastic!!!!

14 Melanie April 26, 2011 at 9:57 am

Looks marvelous darling:)
Melanie´s last blog ..RamblingsMy ComLuv Profile

15 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:46 am

Thanks girlfriend!!!

16 brooke @ Inside-Out Design April 26, 2011 at 10:11 am

Ooooo my goodness it’s beautiful!!! It so does not look like the same piece of furniture! I absolutely hate the process of refinishing furniture, but I LOVE the results!! I always wonder if it’s how a plastic surgeon feels after giving someone a makeover….Awesome job Kimba! You’re really making me itch to get out the paint! (Oh and what you did to the drawer fronts is the best part!!! love!)

17 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:48 am

HA! What a great comparison! When I’m in the middle of a big project like this one, I have to keep reminding myself how much I’ll love it in the end. Otherwise, I just want to quit.

18 Leanne April 26, 2011 at 10:33 am

It turned out beautiful. I love the drawers and the detail on them too.

19 Joy April 26, 2011 at 10:59 am

Beautiful!

20 Christa @ BrownSugarToast April 26, 2011 at 11:01 am

Okay, that looks awesome!!! I have been subscribed to you for a while, but this is the first time I’ve ever commented. ha:) sorry;) anyway, that piece deserves a big fat “LOVE IT!” comment, so here it is. great work and thanks for the inspiration!!!

21 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:49 am

Thanks Christa! I’m glad you stopped by to comment. :)

22 Amanda @ Serenity Now April 26, 2011 at 11:08 am

I am pretty much in love with that piece! Wowzah!! Saw something similar at our Salvation Army, but they were asking waaaayy too much for it. :(

23 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:50 am

I was shocked when I saw the price on this cabinet. I snapped it up so fast!

24 Uncluttered Lifestyle April 26, 2011 at 11:17 am

Fabulous job. I want one!
Uncluttered Lifestyle´s last blog ..Faux whatMy ComLuv Profile

25 Leighann Marquiss April 26, 2011 at 12:36 pm

I love it. And what a score for $25….. all those drawers. :)

26 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:52 am

Thanks girl! I keep meaning to email you and see what’s going on. Did you move?

27 Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top April 26, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Looks fabulous!!!! I so need a cabinet like this.
Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top´s last blog ..I finally found some flats that work for me!My ComLuv Profile

28 Pat April 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Oh wow! that turned out great.
…and I bet it is so functional too!
Pretty makeover.

29 cathy April 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm

wow!!! that looks fab! were u able to save the metal from the doors for another project? so well done!

30 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:53 am

I did save the metal grill things. But I’m not sure what to do with them.

31 Richella at Imparting Grace April 26, 2011 at 5:02 pm

It’s BEAUTIFUL, Kimba! Wow–what vision you displayed when you picked up that piece! I think most of us would have passed it right by. Kudos to you for seeing the potential–it looks awesome!
Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..The significance of insignificant thingsMy ComLuv Profile

32 Olga April 26, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Hi Kimba
I have a question regarding your cabinet which, by the way looks beautiful! How did you remove the scroll work from the outer doors?
Thanks

33 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:55 am

It was so easy. All that scroll work was just a part of the handles. I unscrewed the handles from the back of the doors and the scroll work popped right off.

34 Kayla April 26, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Kimba, it’s stunning! My jaw dropped open! I love the wooden tray on top too. Can’t wait to see the whole space!

35 Traci April 26, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I love this piece, Kimba! Great job! I know you are going to love all that storage. :)

36 Patty April 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm

w.o.w. Looks great!! You’ve inspired me to get out the paint!! I’ve got some work to do

37 Jennifer Wells April 27, 2011 at 11:01 am

It looks great! Thanks for the tutorial, it makes it seem like hard work but really pretty easy. I am looking forward to painting my coffee and end tables if it ever stops raining here in Ohio!

38 Kimba April 28, 2011 at 9:56 am

I hear ya, Jennifer! It’s been raining like crazy here too. I’m SICK of it! I had to keep dragging this piece back into the garage.

39 kimberly April 27, 2011 at 12:41 pm

AHHHHHHHH!!!!! a person with the same vision that I can see but with the actual time to make it happen!!!!!!! I love this!!!!!!!!!! love love love love!!!!!!! :)

40 Rachel April 29, 2011 at 10:30 am

This looks wonderful! Good for you! Now I want to go yard saleing(?) this weekend for old furniture!