Living Easter Garden Centerpiece

by Kimba on April 18, 2011

in In the Garden,Seasonal Projects

Our family will be hosting at least one (maybe more) meals over the Easter weekend. I wanted a pretty centerpiece that didn’t cost me a ton and could be used all spring and maybe summer! Enter my Easy Easter and Spring Living Centerpiece. Mine is really big, but you could do something a little more human in scale.

First, grab your shovel and dig up a patch of moss from your backyard. Make sure you do this in the middle of a wind-storm. You want to get the full-on crazy neighbor thing working. They haven’t seen me spray paint any bunnies for a while and I like to keep ‘em guessing.

No moss? No problem. Use the fake stuff. Or skip it all-together. We’re flexible like that.

Fill your container with some potting soil. Mine is an oval galvanized bucket from Lowes. They sell them with the paint supplies. I know not why.

Lay your moss on top and fill in with whatever little plants you can lay your hands on. I used some mini-ferns, dusty miller and some 50% off purple pansies. There’s no science to it…Just keep shoving stuff in there until it looks good. If you don’t like how it looks, add more stuff. Trust me. More stuff is good.

I also added a sweet little bunny that looks strangely like a zombie in these pictures. This post is taking a very strange turn.

After Easter, I’ll probably put it on the back porch and hope that it keeps growing. Once the pansies are done blooming, I can pull them out and add in some summer flowers. Maybe petunias?

Some more inspiration?

Meredith is the Queen of Use-What-You-Have and I still love her Easter Centerpiece from waaaaaaay back in 2009. Her moss-digging ways inspired me to do a little digging of my own.

Ann’s Easter Garden may not be a centerpiece, but it’s beautiful, meaningful and I love it. Sweet, inspiring Ann will probably be horrified to be included along-side all my crazy moss-digging, zombie bunny talk.

1 laura@imnotatrophywife.com April 18, 2011 at 9:24 am

Love this! I love that you linked back to another blogger’s post that is 2 years old! Very cool! Happy Easter!
laura@imnotatrophywife.com

2 Heidi@thecraftmonkeyblog April 18, 2011 at 9:48 am

Very cute! I’m cracking up at your “crazy” neighbor thing! My neighbors must think the same thing about me! I’m always out there spray painting this or that, and then later on, taking pictures of it…LOL…LOTS of stares! {especially when I do it in my pj’s} :D

3 Amelia@TrulyWindchimes April 18, 2011 at 10:15 am

Hi Kimba! I really like your garden centerpiece. I love what you did with the stone rabbit, the moss, and the candles.

Your garden centerpiece is perfect not only for Easter, but also for springtime.
Amelia@TrulyWindchimes´s last blog ..Top 10 Most Colorful Wind Chimes Part 2My ComLuv Profile

4 Jessica April 18, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Ha!! The neighbors! lol. Thanks for making me laugh.
Love how the planter came out. Think I’m going to have to go out to the woods and find some moss. I actually want to make a moss and slate walkway by my veggie garden so that I don’t have to mow the lawn and get debris flying into the garden beds. Have a wonderful Easter!!

J.

5 robyn April 18, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Kimba, this is such a cute post! GREAT idea, zombie bunny and all! Our neighbors surely wonder about us as well. No one around us has anything planted in their backyard. Meanwhile we have a little oasis of plants and a water garden that attracts tons of birds, bunnies and squirrels. WE LOVE IT!

6 Glenda Childers April 18, 2011 at 5:47 pm

So simple and so sweet.
Glenda Childers´s last blog ..Holly Becker and my root canalMy ComLuv Profile

7 The Simply Inspired Home April 18, 2011 at 7:45 pm

This is so cute, and if you have all the supplies on hand I’m sure it wouldn’t take too long as well. We too have lots of natural moss in our yard living in British Columbia. I love the idea!

8 Allison @ Quaint Oaks April 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This is beautiful! I love when I see something that I already have all of the pieces for. Got the container, the bunny and oodles of mosses and greens! Thanks for sharing!
Allison @ Quaint Oaks´s last blog ..Console Table WoesMy ComLuv Profile

9 Shirley Corwin April 19, 2011 at 9:55 am

I love this idea of the living center piece! Beautiful.
Shirley Corwin´s last blog ..CouponingMy ComLuv Profile

10 Catherine Lehman April 19, 2011 at 9:59 am

The centerpiece is beautiful. I needed an idea for a secret sister gift for Easter and your centerpiece provided the perfect inspiration. Thank you! P.S.—I’ve always thought it was odd that Lowe’s has galvanized buckets in the paint section, too.

11 Kelly G in ATX April 19, 2011 at 10:35 am

You are too funny girl! I’ve been following you for about a year and a half and I love how you have found your “voice” as a blogger! I love this centerpiece idea and my husband does too. He’s been wanting to bring some of the green inside and this is such a perfect way to do it. Thanks so much for sharing and for making me laugh this morning!
Kelly G in ATX´s last blog ..The Employment Saga ContinuesMy ComLuv Profile

12 Crystal April 21, 2011 at 2:14 am

That zombie bunny crazy-talk made me think of vampire bunnies, which made me think of the bunnies in “Monty Python’s Holy Grail.” (“It’s got fangs!”)

So now I’m laughing over zombie-vampire-Holy-Grail bunnies in an EASTER POST, and it’s all your fault.

However. I did end on a spiritually contemplative note after I admired the Easter Garden photo with candles, etc., and reminded myself that Easter is about more than zombie bunnies. I think I will try a centerpiece of my own.

13 Elli Davis April 21, 2011 at 5:40 pm

If you didn’t tell me that the bunny looks like a zombie, I wouldn’t ever notice as your centerpiece looks beautiful, but now all I can focus on are the weird blank eyes of that creepy bunny of yours! Thank you there! :D
Elli Davis´s last blog ..GTA Mid April SalesMy ComLuv Profile