Succulents in My Kitchen

by Kimba on March 1, 2011

in In the Garden

I was wandering through the indoor garden section of Lowes the other day and stumbled upon this beautiful container of succulents. For around $12, I decided he was a fun treat to bring home and try out on my kitchen window sill.

This is no small deal because I don’t have the best luck with houseplants. I’ve got a lovely green thumb when it comes to outdoor plants, but indoor plants? That thumb is totally black. I try and I try, but they never do well. Probably because I totally neglect them…forget to water…never fertilize…give them the wrong kind of light. Houseplants cry when the see me coming.

But succulents are as hardy as they come. You can neglect them horribly and they’ll just keep on growing. In fact, the more you neglect them, the better. They only need to be watered once a month or so, depending on the size of the container. Maybe 2x a month during the active growing season. They like plenty of light, but beware of heavy mid-day sun as their leaves will burn.

Now that’s my kind of plant. It’s by the sink. I’ll probably remember to water it occasionally. And it’s in a window. Lots of light.

Even though there is still snow in the yard, adding a little greenery helps me to believe the rumors that spring will arrive sometime soon. I do love having a little greenery in the house. It makes things feel fresh and alive.

What kind of houseplants do you love? Do you have any plants that are hard to kill?

1 Christi {Jealous Hands} March 1, 2011 at 8:38 am

I love succulents! I’m working on a succulent wreath for my front door right now. Inside, I have 2 small ferns, and that’s it. I don’t have the best of luck with houseplants, either.

2 Trish @TheOldPostRoad March 1, 2011 at 8:39 am

I planted two pretty bowls full of succulents last summer and they are still beautiful! So thrilled. I will need to post about them, soon- I’ll bet my readers expected them to die after the photos were taken. We live in an old house that is colder than usual in the winter, but the succulents survived our winter and look better than ever! My thumb is not so black, after all!
-Trish
Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..MarketingMy ComLuv Profile

3 Kristen@PrettySweet March 1, 2011 at 8:45 am

I’ve been seriously considering purchasing some succulents, too. I’m also not-so-good at tending to houseplants, so a forgiving plant sounds like a perfect idea. =)
Kristen@PrettySweet´s last blog ..Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie MuffinsMy ComLuv Profile

4 Anna March 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

I love ferns! Last year when I had the winter blahs I bought one, brought my birdbath inside and used it as a plant stand. It was gorgeous! I think mouse ear succulents are fun, and I don’t think you can kill an orchid. A couple of ice cubes once a week and they’re good.

Usually I look at house plants as temporary decor. Like a Christmas wreath or garland. I just can’t keep them alive long enough to think of them as a permanent addition to my house. Sad. True.
Anna´s last blog ..A Guy’s Point of View- ShoesMy ComLuv Profile

5 Anna March 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

Ahh! I am not a dude! LOL! I didn’t write that last blog!

6 Mrs. Jen B March 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

You know, I have no houseplants. None. This must be rectified! Those succulents would look great on my own kitchen windowsill.

7 rachael March 1, 2011 at 10:30 am

I haven’t gotten any new plants since we moved – I’ve never loved houseplants, though I do enjoy flowers. I’m even pretty happy bringing in branchy pieces of shrubs after they’re clipped, etc. My thumb is really, really black, and I got tired of the guilt. Paperwhites are the best I can do.

8 Gina March 1, 2011 at 11:40 am

I love succelents too! I usually kill most houseplants, I’m too busy trying to keep the little people in my life happy and healthy to deal with plants!

9 Kary March 1, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Right now I have a Christmas cactus and some other type of green/yellow plant that is evidently hard to kill. I think I have a semi-green thumb. I keep on keeping on because plants are great to have in the house because they give back to the air we breath. I applaud you for your purchase and I love it too. I’m gonna go get one today! Thanks!

10 Rachel Lynn March 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm

I have an aloe plant that multiplies faster than I can use it. I have to keep pulling some of the clumps out to give the rest space to grow.

I also have a wax plant that is pretty impossible to kill, the only thing is it needs enough light of it wont flower.
Rachel Lynn´s last blog ..Dreams of SpringMy ComLuv Profile

11 Taking Two March 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Piece Lilies! They are the only thing that survives in my house! Lets just say I don’t quite have a green thumb, I’ll blame it on the fact I have two 18 month old twins! Does that count??

12 anh March 1, 2011 at 1:57 pm

i’ve been on a debate with myself on whats plants to put inside the house. def ones that are hard to kill. i have a money tree inside the house now. maybe some succulents in my house too like you did. they look great btw!
anh´s last blog ..I’m back!My ComLuv Profile

13 Colleen March 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I find my Aloe plant is pretty resistant to my house plant murdering ways! plus it is great for cuts, scrapes and burns!
Colleen´s last blog ..What Is It About Star WarsMy ComLuv Profile

14 Gina March 1, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I do Ok with outside plants, but inside, the cat will not allow things to live. So, I make do with silk plants here and there to fake myself out. However, you absolutely cannot kill an airplane plant. And if you have a sunny window, so much the better!

15 Riley March 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Please do take into consideration the amount of humidity generated in a kitchen. Succulents do not like humidity. As an alternative, may I suggest a southern exposure?

Love your blog!

16 Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D March 1, 2011 at 6:51 pm

I love houseplants. Some I’ve had for 20 years. (Yep, you read that right.) My mom handed down her plants, too.

Most of them are mutts – things that come in get well baskets – that sort of thing. My teammates and I even rescued a plant that someone has tossed. It simply needed a little love.

I don’t have succulents, though.
And, I’d really like to.
Perhaps nows the time!
Dana @ Cooking at Cafe D´s last blog ..4 Decorating Ideas – Bring the Outdoors In!My ComLuv Profile

17 Andrea@ourbluefrontdoor March 1, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Just love the green and how it looks on the window sill. You are right Spring is coming soon, I can feel it.
I don’t have too much luck with house plants because we have a cat. She even chews on any flowers my hubby brings home for me. It’s a pain because I would love to have them throughout the house so I have to settle for fake greenery. I do alot of gardening to make up for it in the spring and summer. Come on Spring!!
Andrea@ourbluefrontdoor´s last blog ..Untouched and beautifulMy ComLuv Profile

18 Jessica March 2, 2011 at 7:14 am

My 6th grader went to our botanical garden for a field trip in the 4th grade. She brought home a tiny wandering Jew plant, in a juice jug terrarium. It took about 2 weeks until I had to repot it. It’s been 2 years and I can’t kill it. I’ve got a 12 inch hanging pot with 3 foot trailing vines hanging in my kitchen. It seems it doesn’t matter how brown and icky it gets (because I forget to water it) it just won’t die. I’ll remember to take care of it, cut off the dead vines and give it some water and it just springs back to life.

19 Richella at Imparting Grace March 2, 2011 at 12:58 pm

The succulents are beautiful, Kimba. Good luck with them!

I have quite a few houseplants. . . green is my favorite color and I just love having living things around. . . but they can be hit or miss. Except for golden pothos. I’ve had the best luck with them.
Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..Dinner for Real- Crustless QuicheMy ComLuv Profile

20 Holly March 2, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Well, I was going to say that I’ve never met a house plant I couldn’t kill, but then I remembered that I’ve had one in my kitchen window for the last several months that seems to refuse to die!
I picked it up at Aldi back in the fall, on clearance. It’s some kind of heather, it seems like it was labeled “fall blooming heather”. Not only is it still alive, but it’s still blooming!

21 Debbie Howard March 2, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I really enjoy my weeping ficus trees. They move from inside to the outside in spring and back in for winter. They just keep on growing like troopers.
Debbie
Debbie Howard´s last blog ..Paris Box GiveawayMy ComLuv Profile

22 Kristin March 2, 2011 at 8:16 pm

pretty! I have two succulents and a spider plant on my kitchen window sill, ive been having really good luck with them surprisingly enough
Kristin´s last blog ..EdenFantasys- My second time aroundMy ComLuv Profile

23 Jessie March 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I’ll second the pothos ivy (aka devil’s ivy, aka philodendron). I had one in college that I left in my dorm room for two weeks. When I got back it was all limp and dead looking – I watered it well and it bounced right back. That plant might still be alive…

I also have good luck with aloe as long as I don’t over-water, and spider plants if I can keep them away from my cat. I’ve had really good luck with african violets, they’re surprisingly easy.

I kill orchids. I’m an orchid killer.