Random Thoughts on Possessed Toys, Sickness and Cookies

by Kimba on March 11, 2011

in Real Me

Scary, possessed talking toy

Have you ever had one of your kid’s toys start making noise in the middle of the night? That sweet (if somewhat annoying) voice at 2am sounds completely possessed. Scared the ever-lovin’ boogers out of me.

I nearly peed my pants as I crept down the stairs to confront the evil toy as it called out “Hug me! Hug me!” Of course, it happened when my husband was out of town, so I had to do battle alone.

I am so grateful that I can stop the world when this guy gets sick. I don’t know how you work-outside-the home moms do it. Bless you.

We spent the better part of the week snuggled on the couch. When he’s awake, we watch Swamp Loggers. When he’s asleep in my lap, I watch old episodes of The Waltons. Love the DVR.

Girl Scout cookie season is a very dangerous time of year. Just when I’m starting to think about having to wear a swimsuit, along come the Samoas. I may or may not have eaten 3 boxes in the last 2 days.

1 Mama Laughlin March 11, 2011 at 9:51 am

Funny you say that about that possessed talking toy…
we have that exact same bear and about a month ago it went off in the middle of the night too and scared the living bejeesus out of me.
Scary part was- you know how it says “Hug me!”??? well THAT’S the part it was saying… ON REPEAT!!!
It kept going “HUG ME! HUG ME! HUG ME!” ummmm… I about peed my pants I was so scared!!!

2 Theresa March 11, 2011 at 9:55 am

No, I haven’t had a toy make random noises at night, but a singing birthday card did, and yes it scared to boogers out of me too! I covered it up under blankets then I carefully threw to possessed card away the next day when I could look at it! Sorry to hear your little one is sick, the only plus side to that is all the extra cuddle time.
Girl Scout cookies are evil in disguise! I know I HAVE eaten 3 boxes of peanut butter sandwiches in the past 2 days!!! :(

3 Hill Hang-Out March 11, 2011 at 10:02 am

We have a baby doll that is activated by light. Everytime I turn on the light in my daughter’s closet, she says, “I seeeee youuuuu!!” I have almost lost my religion over that possessed doll more times than I can count. Hope your baby is better soon.

4 Marixa- Life on Purpose March 11, 2011 at 10:07 am

Oh My Gosh! We have that same doll and it did that to us about a year ago! Totally scared me! And it was in the middle of the night! After that I made sure it was switched off and then I just decided that it needed to live at Grandma’s house! Glad to know I didn’t have the only possessed doll out there. I guess they made all of the like that!

So sorry your baby was sick! It’s so hard to watch them not feel good.

5 Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage March 11, 2011 at 10:21 am

We HAD that exact same toy…yes HAD…he is scary. Rip out his batteries and pass him to the goodwill!! :)
Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage´s last blog ..Guest Posting on kojo designsMy ComLuv Profile

6 Maggie March 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

We had that puppy. Notice how I say HAD. Like yours, It would just start randomly talking in the middle of the night. When I emailed Fisher Price about it, they gave me some bogus answer about how light and motion can trigger the doll. I’m sorry, but there is NO light or motion in my baby’s nursery at 3 o’clock in the morning, thankyouverymuch.
I immediately took the batteries out and sent posessed puppy to Goodwill.
I’ve mentioned the puppy to several friends and all of them have had simlar scary experiences with that thing.
On a side note, the last time I was in my local Goodwill, they had three of these puppies for sale and in various states wear. One was still in the box, one looked like it was brand new out of the box (probably still mine from 3 years ago!) and one looked like it had been loved on a bit.

7 Centsational Girl March 11, 2011 at 10:38 am

Ha!!!! Those GS cookies are lethal! I have to sell a bunch of them outside the grocery store today with six little girls, and without eating any, imagine the torture of staring at all those cookies! :)

xo
Kate

8 Brooke @ Inside-Out Design March 11, 2011 at 10:56 am

Oh my gosh, Yes that has happened to me!! When my oldest was a baby he had this little bear that said a child’s prayer when it was squeezed…my husband and I always thought it was kind of creepy but we kept it because a grandmother had given it to us. One night we were woken by the sound of a child whispering “Now I lay me down to sleep…” over the baby monitor. In our half asleep state we thought we were hearing a ghost! LOL.

9 Joy March 11, 2011 at 11:07 am

Talking Pokemon are another chill in the night sound too – finally removed the batteries, it had a motion sensor. TLC and precious cuddles.
- Joy

10 Kelli March 11, 2011 at 11:20 am

We had a Buzz Lightyear toy that would randomly start talking too…luckily the boys playroom is far enough from my bedroom that I never heard it at night! I would have peed my pants too especially if I was home alone! And yummo to the GS cookies…I still haven’t gotten a single box which could be a good thing or a bad thing!
Kelli´s last blog ..Leprechaun JelloMy ComLuv Profile

11 April March 11, 2011 at 11:31 am

I HATE that dog! I wrote a post about what I did with mine about about a month or two ago! I was alone and woke up at 2am and kept hearing that creepy ” I love you” and when I walked into the living room, that creepy dog was in the middle of the living room floor with nothing touching it and that creepy red heart glowing in the dark, so I turned it off and put it in one of those tupperware things that latches and put it in my utility room with two tool boxes onto top to the tupperware and then I put one of those childproof thingys that keeps kids from opening doors on the knob! The next day I got rid of it….and I kept it in the tupperware when it was in the car with me! lol

12 Fiona's Mosaic March 11, 2011 at 11:52 am

We didn’t experience the toy thing………but we had an electric toothrush that would just turn on at random times. Crazy!!

And I have to say I love the Waltons!! We also say that “we are the Waltons…….but with a microwave”. We have a small farm here, and the grandparents live with us. It has been quite the experience, but a good one.
Fiona’s Mosaic´s last blog ..Taming The Paperwork MonsterMy ComLuv Profile

13 Sarah @ The Ugly Duckling House March 11, 2011 at 11:58 am

My boyfriend bought the dog a Tickle Me Elmo when he was a puppy. To this day, it’s the only toy that the dog hasn’t completely shredded or ripped the talking parts out of.

Most of the time, it just laughs and vibrates and the dog loves it. But once, the dog and I were playing with it and he tossed it into the air… and then the toy started shouting “Wee!” and “Bouncy, bouncy!”… which we had NEVER heard for the previous three years we’d owned the toy. Freaked. Me. Out.
Sarah @ The Ugly Duckling House´s last blog ..This Weeks ThoughtsMy ComLuv Profile

14 Susan March 11, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I am so glad to see someone else hates that puppy, too! We received it as a gift from my very own grandma. I never took it out of the box and he’s been languishing in the basement ever since. The worst part is that the baby’s face lights up when he sees it. I’ve felt so guilty…but now I’ve seen how I’ve saved myself some sanity.

15 Jennifer March 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm

My son has a Star Wars bear that plays the theme song when you squeeze it’s hand. I often hear that going in the night when it inadvertently gets rolled on. There was one time when our son was sleeping in our room, and it kept going and going. I put it in the laundry hamper!

16 Amy March 11, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Okay, now I’m scared! I just bought that puppy at a yard sale last weekend for 50 cents for my baby. :)
Amy´s last blog ..Weekly Wrap Up- TwinadosMy ComLuv Profile

17 courtney March 11, 2011 at 2:25 pm

glad to know that we aren’t the only one that’s little dog is psycho?!! shouldn’t that be noted on the packaging?

we also have a baby doll that giggles randomly. sounds kind of like that redheaded “chucky” character. she may accidentally be kidnapped one night :)

18 {darlene} March 11, 2011 at 3:42 pm

we have that possessed toy. It has ALWAYS been possessed.
One day, we got a box in the mail that kept saying “Yellow foot. Yellow foot.” {and I KNOW you know JUST the inflection of that blasted thing}.

anywho. samoas or thin mints? one of life’s most difficult choices.

-{darlene}
fieldstonehilldesign

19 Heathahlee March 11, 2011 at 6:18 pm

Yes, I’ve had one or two of Kiddo’s toys start up with no rhyme or reason. That’s when I knew the batteries were coming out. RIGHT THEN. : )

Hope your little guy is feeling better. And I hope you don’t eat more Samoas. Actually, I hope you send one or eight boxes down to me. ; )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Featured at Moms Toolbox!My ComLuv Profile

20 Theresa March 11, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I have two of those at my childcare spot…worst than that is TJ Beary Tales…it’s funny I posted about this on my FB earlier today.. That thing not only talks but it MOVES and blinks and usually does so as I’m shutting off lights amongst a pile of stuffies…scares the crud out of me every time.

21 Maegan March 11, 2011 at 10:24 pm

We had that exact same possessed toy! Totally freaked me out, “Hug me!” Yeah right, I’ll hug you right out of my house.

We’ve been sick as well. Hopefully, we’re all on the uphill.

We enjoyed some thin mints today!

22 Angie March 12, 2011 at 8:32 am

My little guy has been sick this week as well. Isn’t it great when they want to spent hours in your lap? I’ve been catching up on a lot of TV watching and eating boxes of Girl Scout cookies myself (not sure if that’s a good thing yet).

23 Tracey March 12, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I got so scared by a talking toy one night I threw it in the donation box the next day.
Tracey´s last blog ..A Party For My LoveMy ComLuv Profile

24 Handy Man, Crafty Woman March 12, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Don’t feel bad about eating those samoas; every year they put less and less in the boxes! ;-)

25 Erica March 12, 2011 at 11:07 pm

My son had that same toy a couple years ago and it would scare the heck out of me! I’d be up late, watching television, and this thing would just start talking. It quickly became the “car toy” and then was “accidently” left behind when we moved. So glad to see that I’m not the only one!

26 Sheri March 13, 2011 at 1:14 pm

My parents used to have Chuckie’s little sister at their house. It even scared the daylights out of a guy painting their house!! It would just laugh (its e-villll little laugh) and then cry. Very Scarey!
And about the Samoas… Don’t feel guilty….I swear they are smaller and way fewer in the box!! I contend that one box is equal to 2 oreos!! REALLY!!

27 Bobbie March 13, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Ive got the same multi box a day samoas habit. I am hiding boxes from myself for later when I can find a box in the middle of the summer and give myself a happy suprise.
Bobbie´s last blog ..The easiest dinner I have ever madeMy ComLuv Profile

28 Kris Camealy March 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Oh Kimba, we have that SMAE freaky puppy, and that same thing happened to me one evening. It scared the pants off of me. I blame too many bad 80′s horror movies, LOL, but oh I think it shaved a year off of my life! Sorry your little guys is sick, praying for healing!! Blessings t you!
Kris Camealy´s last blog ..HallelujaMy ComLuv Profile

29 Crystal March 14, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Yes! I actually have had a rogue toy make sounds in the middle of the night! And my husband was out of town also. The freaky part is this: IT WAS A TOY-SOUND I’D NEVER HEARD BEFORE. It was so creepy. I was literally shaking on the couch, curled up in a ball of fear. I had to text my friend–at 1:30am–to get me through it.

Remember Chuckie? heeheehee

30 Lani March 15, 2011 at 6:09 pm

OMG…we have that toy too, and it is so scary! My friends Heather and Jason were visiting once and Jason went to the basement (the kids play area) to get something out of the fridge down there and came up white. I guess when he got close to the toy it said “you’re my best friend” and he about peed his pants! It really is frightening!

31 Tracey Monette March 23, 2011 at 4:48 pm

My daughter had one small doll playset that used to turn on in the middle of the night – and we couldn’t get it to turn off. I used to bury it in the bottom of a toy chest just to block the noise. Freaked me out several times in the middle of the night when I woke to hear it’s noise!
Tracey Monette´s last blog ..Bunnymania &amp Digital Scrapbooking FreebeeMy ComLuv Profile

32 Life in Rehab March 29, 2011 at 1:46 pm

We had a singing B1 from Bananas in Pajamas that would belt out tunes in the middle of the night…and I know he’s still around here, waiting, biding his time…
Life in Rehab´s last blog ..Easter for TeenagersMy ComLuv Profile