No Matter How Long the Winter…

by Kimba on March 10, 2011

in In the Garden

Spring is sure to follow.
~Guinean Proverb

I have plans that daffodils will someday fill a woody patch of ground outside my kitchen window. I would love to be able to cut my own bunches.

Until then, the $2.99 bunch from the grocery store does quite nicely. I tied them all together with a little piece of jute twine and displayed them in a mason jar filled with water and rocks.

One for me and one for a friend who needs a little lift. I like to save glass jars (spaghetti, pickle, jelly) and remove the labels with hot water (and sometimes goo gone) so that I have a small collection of “vases” that I can freely give away with inexpensive cut flowers.

In You’ve Got Mail, Meg Ryan’s character said “Daisies are the friendliest flower”. That’s probably true, but I think that daffodils are the most joyful flower.

Just when you think that winter will never end, they burst out of the seemingly dead ground. And they appear to be trumpeting a joyful song…perhaps to their Creator? Oh that I would always remember to do the same.

Some days I need a reminder to choose joy….a reminder that spring will come again.

Top photo credit: Katy Ereira

1 Kathy March 10, 2011 at 8:26 am

Oh what pretty flowers… reminding me… spring is coming….spring is coming…
Our previous house had woods & swamps that had lots & lots of daffodils each spring…. folks would come & ask if they could take some.. Oh How I miss that part of that old place.
Thanks for the reminder… today, I Choose Joy!!!
Kathy´s last blog ..Arent Blogging friends just WONDERFUL!!!My ComLuv Profile

2 Rachel Jernas@bigfaithtobiglife March 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

Thank you for the reminder to choose joy. I needed that this morning.

3 Leigh Anne March 10, 2011 at 8:47 am

One of my favorites as well. My kiddos brought me a bunch from the backyard about a week ago. They are STILL alive and beautiful in a glass milk bottle. Beautiful :-)

4 Katie March 10, 2011 at 8:47 am

This is so sweet. I loved taking my two year old outside to pick some daffadils. She was able to keep one and the rest add their joy to our living room plus a pleasing aroma. This is a especially nice since it is raining. We are super eager for spring.

5 shana March 10, 2011 at 8:58 am

love it! thanks so much for the great reminder!
a very happy thursday to you!
blessings,
shana
shana´s last blog ..multitude mondayMy ComLuv Profile

6 Lori F. March 10, 2011 at 9:30 am

The daffodils in my flower beds are just peeking out of the ground here, south of Pittsburgh. I pointed them out to my son this morning as we were walking to the bus stop. Spring is certainly on the way, despite the forecast of 3-6″ by Friday night.

7 Kimberly Dial March 10, 2011 at 9:42 am

Daisies are my favorite cut flowers but daffodils peeking out of the ground are a most welcome sign that surely, in spite of evidence to the contrary, Spring will be here in all its glory very soon! Thanks for sharing … I’ve got to go to the store today and I bet I come home with some … I choose joy! :)

8 Heather March 10, 2011 at 10:26 am

Those daffodils are lovely. But yes, I do find daisies to be the friendliest flower and when I see one I am instantly cheered! :)

9 Sarah March 10, 2011 at 10:32 am

They ARE a cheerful little flower, thank you for sharing, Love the jute!

10 Carmel March 10, 2011 at 11:31 am

What a great idea to save and reuse those jars to spread cheer! I’m going to start doing the same thing!
Carmel´s last blog ..An Extreme Blog MakeoverMy ComLuv Profile

11 Wendy March 10, 2011 at 11:40 am

I absolutely, utterly needed that today. i am going out today, and when I do, and I getting daffodils. And maybe a daisy, too. Thanks for making me smile.
Wendy´s last blog ..DIY RealitiesMy ComLuv Profile

12 Wendy March 11, 2011 at 8:57 am

I linked you! :)
Wendy´s last blog ..Nutella Cures AllMy ComLuv Profile

13 Fiona's Mosaic March 10, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I LOOOOVE daffys!! They are joyful!

My grandma Re’ had big beautiful borders of daffodills, and that was our clear indication that winter was over was when she would send us out with the scissors to cut big bouquets of them for the house.

The smell of them STILL takes me back to the little green farmhouse, with the brick bordered flower beds, sitting on the porch with the daffodills on both sides of me.

God bless!! Spring is almost here!!
Fiona’s Mosaic´s last blog ..Taming The Paperwork MonsterMy ComLuv Profile

14 Heathahlee March 10, 2011 at 2:13 pm

When I was in high school, there was a field outside of town that someone had planted full of daffodils. FULL. Millions of daffodils, it seemed like. For this girl who loves rainbows and clouds and stars, it was one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen.

That field has since been plowed over and a shopping center is now in its place. Travesty.
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Beautiful JesusMy ComLuv Profile

15 Jessie March 10, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Oh, I love daffodils! They are my favorite flower. My dad used to buy me a dozen of them every spring since I was born. I’ve planted hundreds in my gardens, I just can’t get enough of them. :)

16 Andrea@ourbluefrontdoor March 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Beautiful picture, the yellow just warms my soul :)
My husband was talking about the grass this morning and how it is starrrttting to turn a liitttle greener, and I burst out, if the SUN would ever come out then it would be greener. Can you tell I need some sun??
It amazes me how plants and even our grassy yards know when it’s time to re-bloom/grow. God sure knows what he’s doing, huh?
Have a great day!!

17 {darlene} March 10, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Kimba! I totally agree. Daffodils say JOY to me. i will never forget this picture I saw from Martha Stewart Living, of a HUGE field filled ALL with blooming daffodils. It was like a piece of heaven.

Oh! If you get a sec., i am asking for opinions over at my blog today on my style. If not, no problem!

Have a great day!
{darlene}

18 Cha Cha March 10, 2011 at 7:20 pm

And I thought I was the only one who saved jars. Great minds think alike and how sweet of you to give your friend flowers. Hope you are having a great day.

Cha Cha

19 Emily March 10, 2011 at 8:40 pm

So pretty! Fresh flowers really bring a special something into a home – you’ve inspired me now to go get some for myself!
Emily´s last blog ..Etsy Favorites – ReadingMy ComLuv Profile

20 windy March 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I absolutely adore daffodils! They are blooming everywhere in SC. I also share your dream, and last year I planted gobs of bulbs, but the daggone squirrels ate them, and I have ONE blooming in my yard :)

21 Sandy @ RE March 10, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Beautiful, friend! And I can’t wait until my daffodils are in bloom. Can’t come soon enough. Miss u!
Sandy @ RE´s last blog ..Raising Hospitable Kids- It Becomes a Way of Life!My ComLuv Profile

22 Amber March 11, 2011 at 12:03 am

I just wanted to share my most favorite trick for removing labels from jars. If you soak it in some warm water and then use a Magic Eraser to rub it off, it comes off SO easily. I find it much easier than scraping or rubbing it with goo gone. It takes seconds.

23 Sherman Unkefer March 11, 2011 at 4:23 am

I love your idea of using jars as vases! Thanks for the idea!
Sherman Unkefer´s last blog ..The Magic Wand System in Pre-Launch for Europe!My ComLuv Profile

24 Annie March 11, 2011 at 6:55 am

Welcome the first flower of spring, I am seeing the blades grow a little more each day. Can not wait to cut them all down and put them around the house, I just have to beat the kids to them.

25 caroline @ c.w.frosting March 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm

How pretty & simple to make! Great idea for spring!
caroline @ c.w.frosting´s last blog ..Fresh InspirationMy ComLuv Profile

26 Christi {Jealous Hands} March 13, 2011 at 10:05 am

Mine have just started blooming, and I think you’re right – they ARE the most joyful flower! They remind me of my grandmother’s house, where the whole place was covered in daffodils come spring. I just adore them!

27 Jill March 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I know what you mean! It seems like spring will never come! I live in the Prairies in Canada and it seems like it’s been forever since I’ve seen anything green! Also – love You’ve Got Mail. Such a sweet movie!

28 Tracey Monette March 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm

If you have a Trader Joes near you they have bunches of them for under $2! I filled a jar.
Tracey Monette´s last blog ..Bunnymania &amp Digital Scrapbooking FreebeeMy ComLuv Profile