Fill Your Frames ~ With Maps

by Kimba on March 30, 2011

in Artwork,decorating

I still haven’t found the perfect solution for the empty frames on my family room wall. But I got tired of waiting for perfect (and of explaining why I have empty frames on my wall). So I turned to one of my go-to frame fillers.

Maps.

They’re beautiful and easy to find. I found an entire book of maps on the clearance table at my local Borders. The book is huge and cost me $4.99. I could have pulled any pages out of it to frame.

I wish I could say that these are some wonderfully meaningful maps to me…maybe places we’ve visited or dream about visiting someday. The fact is they’re just the ones that I thought were the prettiest.

But this isn’t the final solution for this wall. Until then, I’m happy to have something pretty to look at.

If you’re on the hunt for some beautiful maps to frame, Amazon has a huge selection. And lots of them are really affordable.

Love this picture…complete with Star Wars sheets, Pillow Pet and underpants hanging out of the drawer. Cause that’s how we roll.

This isn’t the first time I’ve hung a map on the wall. I still love the huge US map that is framed in my son’s bedroom. Click here for exact DIY instructions.

I love Melissa’s sentimental take on decorating with maps. She likes to frame and display maps from places her family has traveled. LOVE!

Check out Martha Stewart for a brand new article all about decorating with maps. (TONS of pictures!!!)

More ideas for Filling Your Frames:
Real photography
Kid’s Artwork
Calendar Art

1 Lallee March 30, 2011 at 8:48 am

That’s a lovely solution whether is temporary or permanent. I must go see what Martha shows now!

2 Elisabeth March 30, 2011 at 8:52 am

What a good idea. I have considered placing pictures or maps of mountains (Mt. Everest & other top climbing mtns.) in my boys’ room. I was going to decorate their room around the theme of outdoor activities – hiking, canoeing, hunting – some of their favorite outdoor things.

Are you wanting pictures of your children in your frames or do you have hobbies that maybe would fit your criteria? Maybe put a quote/saying/Scripture verse in the middle frame with some type of nature shots or family photos on each side of it?

I personally am paralyzed by indecision. I don’t want to make a mistake so I do nothing. Isn’t that ridiculous?? :)

Have a wonderful day. I really enjoy your blog & love the design.
Elisabeth´s last blog ..Kiddopotamus Snuzzler Complete Head and Body Support ReviewMy ComLuv Profile

3 Marci@OvercomingBusy March 30, 2011 at 9:07 am

I love maps and have wanted to put a big map on the wall of our bedroom for years. My hubby frowns upon that idea, but I think it is great!
Marci@OvercomingBusy´s last blog ..Containing Kitchen Sink ClutterMy ComLuv Profile

4 Sam March 30, 2011 at 9:17 am

That is a great idea! I have a couple of maps that I keep and record with little pushpins of places I have visited, maybe its time to put them in frames
Sam´s last blog ..Official Heartland Homes Press Release- Exclusive Sewickley CommunityMy ComLuv Profile

5 Kimba March 30, 2011 at 9:54 am

I keep meaning to buy some of those pins so my son can keep track of places we travel on his map.

6 Becca @ Adventures in Decorating March 30, 2011 at 9:24 am

Your framed maps look awesome … I may have to stop by Borders now! I just added map wallpaper to the back of a bookcase that I just painted … look forward to sharing it, soon. And, I’ve been on the hunt for a large world or U.S. map to add to my son’s playroom … I’m off to read your tutorial for the one in your kiddo’s cool bedroom! Thanks for sharing, Becca

7 Kimba March 30, 2011 at 9:55 am

I can’t wait to see your bookcase! I have one in my husband’s office and I’ve been wanting to spruce it up with a little something.

8 kimberly Naranjo March 30, 2011 at 9:45 am

Wow, great reminder!!! I forgot that I bought a huge map for my son’s room a year ago.. I need to dig it out and get not a frame but the trim pieces from the hardware store that you showed.. what a GREAT idea!!! love it!!! Thanks!!!!

9 mbb. March 30, 2011 at 9:49 am

i have a stack of maps in my office waiting for the summer when my fiance and i move into our newlywed-nest…

another tip on where to find: your local university geography dept or the library. just ask if they’ve got anything they want to get rid of – they often do! that’s where i’ve found several maps (often of sentimental value) for FREE!
mbb.´s last blog ..goingMy ComLuv Profile

10 Kimba March 30, 2011 at 9:56 am

That’s a fantastic tip! Thanks!

11 Brooke @ Inside-Out Design March 30, 2011 at 10:04 am

Your wall looks so pretty with the framed maps!! And I LOVE the huge one in your son’s room. I love decorating with maps too; I’ve even Mod Podged them onto styrofoam balls to make bowl fillers.

12 Kelly | Purple Lemon Designs March 30, 2011 at 10:27 am

Cute idea Kimba! Thanks for sharing :)

13 Joy March 30, 2011 at 10:42 am

Great idea for framing – maps. Thanks for sharing.
- Joy

14 Mom in High Heels March 30, 2011 at 11:36 am

Indy’s adventure/explorer room has maps all over it. He has a HUGE antique looking world map and several maps of Egypt (a place he hopes to go) as well as a beautiful one of Corsica (been there) and several FREE maps of cities we’ve been to (Paris, London, Rome). I love decorating with maps.
Mom in High Heels´s last blog ..Quit your whining you wussy AmericanMy ComLuv Profile

15 Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage March 30, 2011 at 11:53 am

I have loved maps forever!! I had no idea Martha jumped on the bandwagon! Thanks for the link!! :)

Here is a post with all of my map obsessions:

Would love for you to take a look! :) And seriously I have vintage maps running outta my ears if you ever are looking for an etsy seller! :)
Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage´s last blog ..OMTWI Reminder and I WON A CONTEST!!My ComLuv Profile

16 deidra March 30, 2011 at 12:01 pm

The maps are beautiful. And they remind me of the “olden days” when we’d have to actually unfold those big ole things in the passenger seat of the car in order to find our way to where we wanted to go. You know. Before the GPS that is always sighing, “Recalculating.” :)
deidra´s last blog ..What Glamour Really Looks LikeMy ComLuv Profile

17 {darlene} March 30, 2011 at 12:15 pm

love me some maps. we are working on a pincushion world map for our boys’ room. great post.
-{darlene}
fieldstonehilldesign.com

18 Malia March 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm

My husband and kids love maps! We have a couple of vintage maps of Virginia and Tennessee framed around here somewhere. I need to pull it out again. And now I’m thinking of what other map framing projects we can do!
Malia´s last blog ..Theres no place like homeMy ComLuv Profile

19 Annie March 30, 2011 at 8:31 pm

My best moment is the pillow pets on the bed. I have four beds and four pillow pets, plus a few extra friends on their beds too. Way to go!

20 Jessika March 30, 2011 at 10:36 pm

How wonderful …. using maps. I love it! I may have to borrow that and use it in my home. Thanks for sharing.
Jessika´s last blog ..Fun with RED!My ComLuv Profile

21 Ashley White Design March 31, 2011 at 12:07 am

Love this idea! We’ll be doing this in my husband’s office.
Ashley White Design´s last blog ..Inspired by IkatMy ComLuv Profile

22 Stephanie@cre8tive March 31, 2011 at 12:56 am

I think it is a beautiful solution to your dilemma of no art work above your couch. I like how they look, I think I could live with those for a long while.

23 Valerie @ Chateau A La Mode March 31, 2011 at 1:07 am

I love that you took a book that cost $4.99 and made it into beautiful artwork.

24 melissa @ the inspired room March 31, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I love your maps, Kimba! They really look fab!! You can’t go wrong with maps, I say.

Thanks for mentioning my maps too!!
melissa @ the inspired room´s last blog ..Gallery Walls Inspiration Pictures &amp A Linky Party!My ComLuv Profile

25 Elise April 1, 2011 at 5:42 am

Just stumbled upon your blog via pure-and-lovely.com and am so glad I found it! Your decorating is lovely, but your wittiness makes you stand out from all the other home decor/design blog! Thanks!

Elise