What to Do With Those Roses

by Kimba on February 15, 2011

in Do it yourself,Favorite Things,In the Garden

via The Art of Doing Stuff

If you were lucky enough to receive a bouquet of roses (or other flowers) yesterday, then maybe you’re wondering what to do with them. I’ve always been kind of puzzled about how to arrange those cellophane wrapped bouquets. Karen from The Art of Doing Stuff showed me exactly what I should do.

I’ll be honest…I’m not much of a rose girl, particularly on Valentine’s Day. Mostly because it annoys me to no end that the price of roses doubles that week. But Karen’s ideas will work for other kinds of flowers too. I used them on a bouquet of tulips. Check out Karen’s post on How to Arrange a Dozen Roses for all the whats and hows of arranging roses.

PS…If you didn’t get a bouquet of flowers yesterday, then march yourself down to the store today and get one for yourself. They’re 1/2 the price that they were 24 hours ago.

1 kathysue February 15, 2011 at 9:33 am

Kimba, you are right they will be half off today,that is so funny!! I love roses or any kind of fresh flower for that matter and I try to have a bouquet in my home at all times, it is my little luxury. Now with the grocery store flowers being so cheap, for $10 I can have a great little bouquet!! Happy Tuesday,Kathysue
kathysue´s last blog ..SPRING COLOR!!My ComLuv Profile

2 mary beth February 15, 2011 at 9:49 am

Really good ideas…It’s taken me years to get the hang of making my flowers look good, practice makes perfect! Our WalMart had those pretty pots of miniature roses and Im going to go snag myself one of those to put right in my window sill to keep me happy until spring when I can poke it into the ground! thanks for sharing!

3 The Art of Doing Stuff February 15, 2011 at 10:08 am

Thanks for the mention Kimba! 12 roses are a pain to arrange! And I think you’re right … tulips are much prettier. Their problem is they croak quite quickly. But so do roses so …. :) ~ karen!

4 Kristen@PrettySweet February 15, 2011 at 12:12 pm

My husband is much too smart, too, to buy overpriced red roses for Valentine’s. =) I do love flowers, though – he got me some lovely white, pink, and purple ones.

I love the idea of doing three smaller arrangements – I have done that before and may just do that my current flowers, too. =) Very fun!
Kristen@PrettySweet´s last blog ..My Handy ValentineMy ComLuv Profile

5 Kellie Collis February 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm

What a lovely idea to buy flowers after Valentine’s day! I’m pretty sure the prices went down in all places. Enjoy your day, Kellie xx
Kellie Collis´s last blog ..SequinsMy ComLuv Profile

6 Dianne @ The Inspired Housewife February 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm

No roses here – after 32 years of marriage, my husband has learned that’s not the way to my heart. Helping me with a project around the house? That’s more like it. Great ideas though!
Dianne @ The Inspired Housewife´s last blog ..Cupcakes With a Lot of HeartMy ComLuv Profile

7 Holly Days February 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm

One thing I’ve done with roses or any flower I want to keep is I’ve made rose beads they take a few days to do but come out nice and smell good for a long time after.
Holly
Holly Days´s last blog ..Snow- Ice- Just ColdMy ComLuv Profile

8 Terrie @ Your Decorating Hotline February 16, 2011 at 10:51 am

I read Karen’s tips and they’re so easy and great looking. Apparently great minds think alike – I also wrote one on how to make a grocery bunch look like a more traditional arrangement in 5 easy steps.

9 Linda February 16, 2011 at 12:03 pm

okay, for all you sentimental types like me, and wish those cut roses could last forever… it’s very very easy to grow bushes from your cut roses! Just clip the stems to about 1/2″ above the lowest leaf on the stem, cut the length of the stem so that you have one or two leaf nodes and cover the lower nodes with soil. Keep soil wet and in an area of good light and within a few weeks the clippings will have rooted and new leaves will appear. Once your rose bush has matured a few months, it is easy to transplant :) . And then you can enjoy those valentine roses for years and seasons to come!

10 Rachel Lynn February 22, 2011 at 3:22 pm

My hubby didn’t get me any flowers for Valentine’s day, he’s not really into it. But I did get myself down to Walmart to pick up a pretty bouquet at half off!
Rachel Lynn´s last blog ..Were Thawing OutMy ComLuv Profile