Fill Your Frames ~ With Kid’s Art

by Kimba on February 24, 2011

in Artwork

Idea #2 for filling up those empty frames is to display some of your kiddo’s artwork. I haven’t done it before, but I think it’s a brilliant idea. You can coordinate the colors…or not. Crayons, markers and paint all play so nicely together. And you can change the artwork out as new masterpieces come along.

Note: I haven’t found the perfect spot for these pictures yet…that’s why they’re sitting on my spare kitchen table.

Want some more inspiration for decorating with kid’s artwork?

My friend Kate, from Centsational Girl, made a beautiful art gallery wall in her playroom. Her kiddos are budding artists and now she has a fabulous space to display their work.

Urban Cottage Living had a brilliant idea to use a curtain rod and curtain rings to display her kid’s artwork. The bonus? It doubles as a drying rack for those masterpieces.

I adore this idea from Sarah Jane Studio. Take some of those abstract paintings from your kiddos and use them to create beautiful new art. Sarah Jane provides templates to create a bird, elephant and seal. Love it!

A little more inspiration:

via Crafty Ang on Flickr

via Amy Anderson on Flickr

via Ohdeedoh

Do you have any of your kid’s artwork displayed?

1 L.Duncan February 24, 2011 at 8:21 am

Love this idea! I have yet to do it, but I’m working on it!

2 Suzanne February 24, 2011 at 8:44 am

I love these examples. They are beautiful ways to display artwork! Here’s what I’ve done:

Suzanne´s last blog ..Money Saving Tip 1- Bathroom RedoMy ComLuv Profile

3 Christi {Jealous Hands} February 24, 2011 at 8:55 am

Our mudroom has the boys’ artwork framed. Just did this last week!

4 Kimba February 24, 2011 at 9:42 am

Pictures! We need pictures! :)

5 Wendy @ Ramblings from the Sunshine State February 24, 2011 at 9:16 am

I haven’t done it yet, but I was recently reorganizing my giant box of kid papers (art, school papers, etc) and I found several that were frame-worthy, so I will be soon!

6 Alicia February 24, 2011 at 9:23 am

I love all these ideas! No kids for me yet but I can see doing this in the future!
Alicia´s last blog ..Wishful WednesdaysMy ComLuv Profile

7 Stephenie from Decorating Addiction February 24, 2011 at 9:47 am

Thank you for this post. I’ve seen some examples on displaying kid’s artwork, but never a bunch of ideas all in one place. You’ve inspired me to dig out my daughter’s artwork from the giant bin where they are stored and display them with pride.

8 Gina February 24, 2011 at 10:20 am

Yes, all the time! We have some we tack up on the door in the kitchen, but I’ve got three frames (one for each kid) for seasonal creations. I love rotating them out and adding in the new pieces-such fun! We’ve even got some art making already planned today!

9 Audra Lynn February 24, 2011 at 10:32 am

I have a stack of watercolors my son did that are waiting to be framed! We’re moving to a new house next week, and I want to incorporate them into his new room. :)

10 Andrea@ourbluefrontdoor February 24, 2011 at 11:14 am

Thanks for the awesome ideas! I too have a hard time finding the right place for my kids art because we don’t have a play room anymore, but would love to incorporate it. Any ideas? I have a picture wall so I guess I could add on to it. Look forward to seeing where you place it.
Andrea@ourbluefrontdoor´s last blog ..DoormatMy ComLuv Profile

11 Kimba February 24, 2011 at 8:59 pm

I’m thinking about hanging my frames in our upstairs hallway. That’s were all of our bedrooms are and the walls are completely bare.

12 Heather @ REOlisticRenovation February 24, 2011 at 11:55 am

Such cute ideas. It won’t be long before my Baby Boy is a budding artist too so now I am inspired to showcase his work. :)

13 angela | the painted house February 24, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Yes, ma’am! We have lots of kid art–which is my favorite! I actually have a post in the works about it. Tomorrow is Jackson Pollock day in homeschool…should I be nervous about my kids slinging paint? :)

14 Kimba February 24, 2011 at 9:08 pm

YOU are the Queen of Kid’s Art. One of the first things I remember reading on your site was the painting that you did with your kids.

PS…You are also the Queen of Fabulous Earrings.

15 Jennifer Juniper February 24, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I usually just tape pictures to my french doors in the kitchen – but I’ve been meaning to do something more deliberate with them. I have a framing idea, just no time to work on it yet!
Jennifer Juniper´s last blog ..Uh OhMy ComLuv Profile

16 Sarah February 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I have a tutorial on how to make your own Art Display Board. My kids LOVE hanging stuff up on our “Masterpieces” wall!

Sarah´s last blog ..Vinyl Lettering on Fabric Storage BinsMy ComLuv Profile

17 Randi February 24, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I display the first watercolor and the first fingerpainting that each of my kids do. We have a “gallery wall” in the gameroom and I LOVE it. You can see it here:

18 Brittany February 24, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I do not have children yet…..but I plan on doing this when the time comes!! I’ve always loved kids art! :)

19 Aimee February 25, 2011 at 12:22 am

My mother had one of my son’s paintings framed for me for Mother’s Day a couple of years ago. It hangs in our dining room. :)
Aimee´s last blog ..The ListMy ComLuv Profile

20 gail February 25, 2011 at 10:23 am

I have always loved this idea. I recently hung my granddaughter’s artwork in her room. She loves having something she did as art on her wall. Love these ideas!

21 Angie February 25, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I created an “Art Gallery” of my kids’ art in our family room last spring. I collected and saved artwork from over the last 8 years and I have great examples of their paintings and crayon work in the art gallery. I love the result and it’s one of my favourite things in our house. To see a picture, you can visit the link: http://applevalleygirl.blogspot.com/2010/05/finallymy-art-gallery-wall-is-complete.html
Angie´s last blog ..A Little Girls Room To A Sophisticated Young Ladys RoomMy ComLuv Profile

22 Anna March 1, 2011 at 9:50 am

This is something I want to try, for sure!