Fill Your Frames With ~ Calendar Pictures

by Kimba on February 25, 2011

in Artwork

This post would have been much more timely in January when every store had shelves full of calendars at 75% off. But being timely is not one of my strong suits (suites?).

So tuck this away for next year. OR, if you’re up for a hunt, you can still find a killer bargain on a calendar. I was in Borders last week and found this one with beautiful black & white photographs for $1.00!!!! I had to dig through the remaining “I Love My Dachshund” and “Kitties Kissing Babies” calendars, but there it was!

I suppose that framing calendar photographs goes against my “no artwork for artwork’s sake” rule. It’s not like these photos are particularly meaningful. But they are pretty. And it’s my rule, so I can break it if I want to.

Besides, where else can you get 12 beautiful photographs for less than $15 (at full price)? Earlier in the year, I saw beautiful botanicals, line drawings, nature photos, car photos that would be great for the man-cave and on and on. Just stay away from the Babies in Pots…unless Babies in Pots is your thing. Just don’t tell me. Babies in Pots kinda scare me.

They probably won’t make it into my empty frames on the family room wall. But I am considering them for my master bedroom. They fit with the Zen Traditional (yes, I made that up) look I’m going for in there.

Are you totally sick of all my Filling Up Your Frames talk yet? Cause I have more.

1 Susan B. February 25, 2011 at 9:14 am

Those pictures are really beautiful. Wow. Now I feel the need to go dig through some clearance calendar racks and find some new artwork. Thanks for the idea.

2 Melissa February 25, 2011 at 9:29 am

I’d love to see a kitties kissing babies calendar!! That made me laugh out loud!
Melissa´s last blog ..Whimsical and Colorful Pottery-Barn Inspired Nursery!My ComLuv Profile

3 Jennifer from Alabama February 25, 2011 at 11:48 am

In the past I’ve recycled Sierra Club, Ansel Adams, Marc Chagall and Georgia OKeefe calendars in this way! Great way to recycle and you don’t feel guilty when you get sick of the pics and wanna chunk them/switch them out!

4 Laree @ Ever Heard of Euless February 25, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Nope, I’m not sick your ideas at all! I love the options you’re coming up with!

5 Katie February 25, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I always keep calendars thinking I’ll do the same thing, and then never get around to it. Maybe it’s finally time! :)

6 here be dragons February 25, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Everytime I see gorgeous photos in a calendar I think, “I should just frame those or something.” Yet, I never do – the frame would cost more than the calendar! But that’s how things go.
here be dragons´s last blog ..Photo Friday- OpenMy ComLuv Profile

7 Sara Tetreault February 25, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I love all of your decorating with pictures! Honestly, I’m almost out of wall space so I like to see someone else who is into filling their home with framed artwork and pictures. I also like your term “Zen Traditional” – it’s a very visual description.
Sara Tetreault´s last blog ..Frugal Decorating with Cherry BlossomsMy ComLuv Profile

8 Shell February 25, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I just discovered your blog…I love it! I have so often hated the thought of throwing away a beautiful calendar…I’ll have to rethink it!
Shell´s last blog ..Kodak MomentsMy ComLuv Profile

9 BeckyB February 27, 2011 at 12:02 am

Love this idea – and I’ve used it before. But I never thought of buying a clearance calendar for that reason. Genius! Can’t wait to see what you put in your LR frames!

10 karen@family fire pit reviews February 27, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Calendars are a nice and inexpensive way to have some art in your life. Just shortly after Christmas, I picked up a few myself. The photos are almost always fantastic and never disappoint. If you are going to hang them though, remember to get glass that doesn’t have the shone to it as most of these calendars have a gloss sheen.
karen@family fire pit reviews´s last blog ..Camco 58031 RV Olympian Propane Campfire Review – Perfect for the RVMy ComLuv Profile

11 Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D February 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I love that idea!
I once brought the prior year’s calendar to work – just because the giant photos of beautiful gardens were just what my tiny office needed to fill it with LIFE!

Thanks for the reminder.
Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D´s last blog ..4 Decorating Ideas – Bring the Outdoors In!My ComLuv Profile