No Words

by Kimba on December 6, 2010

in Real Me,Seasonal Projects

Oh, maybe just a couple of words…

My life is ridiculous. First we couldn’t get the darned thing in the house. Now we get the answer to the question…If a tree falls over in your family room, does it make a sound?

Answer? YES!

I wish I could say that this is the first time we’ve dealt with a Christmas tree debacle. Someday, I’ll need to tell you a story about the year we had to saw the bottom off of a fully-decorated tree because it stopped taking up water on December 5th. It may or may not have been because I forgot to water it for 4 days.

Come to think of it, that was the year we bought the artificial tree. I’m thinking this might be the end of the Real Tree Experiment.

Do you have a ridiculous Christmas tree story?

1 kathysue December 6, 2010 at 9:41 am

Kimba, Omgosh!! I am so sorry, that had to be so sad. I imagine life went into slow motion as you saw it tumble. What a bummer!!! Sometimes things like this make good Christmas memories in the end. I hope no precious ornaments broke, that would be the worst part. Hang in there!! Kathysue
kathysue´s last blog ..To Bow or Not to Bow!!My ComLuv Profile

2 Kimba December 6, 2010 at 10:21 am

It was totally slow motion when it went down. We heard a funny rustling sound in the family room and looked over to see the tree tipping. What a mess…water and broken glass everywhere. Luckily, nothing precious was lost.

3 Beverly @ The Buzz December 6, 2010 at 9:43 am

Absolutely! Years ago, my aunt decided she no longer wanted a big tree. Since we had a tabletop size, we traded with her. Don’t know how long she had this thing, but we had it about 20 years. It was one of those with the color coded individual branches that took forever to put up. It was really getting straggly looking and I had been after my husband for 5 years or longer to get a new one. But being a man, he saw no need. Until the year our oldest daughter (who was about 20 at the time) was handing out gifts. After most of the presents had been given, the tree fell over on top of her! Apparently the only thing holding up the stupid thing was the pile of gifts! She never saw the humor in this situation like the rest of us did. In fact, we laugh to this day whenever we talk about it.

This is our 5th Christmas without this beloved daughter–she passed away unexpectedly in 2006. But this story brings smiles to our faces and her spirit to the room every time.
Beverly @ The Buzz´s last blog ..Meet Me On MondayMy ComLuv Profile

4 Kimba December 6, 2010 at 10:23 am

Oh my word, Beverly! What a story! I’m so sorry about your precious daughter and I can see how the story would still make you smile.

5 Laura Sennott December 6, 2010 at 9:44 am

OH Kimba I feel your pain!!! Once year I had been decorating all day everyone had gone to bed but me, as I was putting the finishing touches on the tree. My 4 yr old daughter at the time kept getting up needing this or that and I finally threatened her saying “unless your bed is on fire, do not get up again” or something like that. I take a last look at the tree and decide it is positioned a little funny and lay down on the floor to try to “fix it’ and oh yeah, just what happened to you happened to me, but I was under the tree!!! I called to my daughter, nope she would not get out of bed, it wasn’t on fire, I kept calling and she would say what mommy? I kept encouraging her come here but this was the time she choose to actually listen to my previous instruction! Finally she comes and can’t find me, I am under the tree, when she does she says “what are you doing under there mommy?” I am beginning to feel the heat of the lights and I tell her to go and get her daddy, she goes, he sleeps like a bear, no luck, I keep sending her back and telling her to jump on him, tell him mom is in an emergency, finally he comes out and rescues me! It has made for some great laughs over the years! By the way I have stuck a hook in the wall and tied fishing line to my tree to get the thing to stay up or straight! Good luck!
Laura Sennott´s last blog ..Vignette love!My ComLuv Profile

6 Kimba December 6, 2010 at 10:24 am

That’s hilarious!!! What an inconvenient time for your daughter to listen so well. Love it!

7 anna see December 6, 2010 at 9:48 am

OOOPS! I fondly remember the year our tree fell on both my parents!

8 Melanie December 6, 2010 at 9:51 am

You poor thing! We have always had a fake tree and about 3 years ago I was sitting on the couch and I heard something and turned around and the tree was starting to fall over. I jumped up and caught it and called for my son. He had to go get our neighbor to come over and fix the stand because my husband was at work. I was worried that whole Christmas about that tree. This year we just moved and yesterday I put up a new tree. A TALL skinny tree and I told my hubby that if it fell over, this would be the house without a tree! I would not be fixing it back.

Good luck!
Melanie´s last blog ..Happy MailMy ComLuv Profile

9 Kimba December 6, 2010 at 10:25 am

Love it, Melanie! I was so thankful that my husband was working from home when the tree fell. The ding-dang thing would have layed on the floor all day if he wasn’t here.

10 Christi {Jealous Hands} December 6, 2010 at 10:07 am

My ridiculous Christmas tree story: the first year we were married, we went to the tree farm & got a live tree. Brought it home, set it up, put on the lights and decorations.

And then… millions of preying mantises HATCHED OUT OF THE TREE!! They were everywhere, tiny little bugs! Ridiculous!

11 Kimba December 6, 2010 at 10:26 am

Eeeeeeewwww! That’s horrible!!!

We have a major stinkbug problem here this year and a friend just called to tell me that her tree is infested with the disgusting bugger. Eeeewwww!

12 Judy@ Southern Style Home Decor.com December 7, 2010 at 11:47 am

OMG, that sounds like something that would happen to me! You must have been terrified and grossed out. It kind of would be hard to look at the tree the next year. You probably got an artificial one after that I’m guessing!

13 Beth December 6, 2010 at 10:18 am

Omgosh! Yes I had words but no one was around when it happened to me a few years back….so back to artificial from then on and a thin one which I love.
Beth´s last blog ..CHRISTMAS TREE INSPIRATIONMy ComLuv Profile

14 Gina December 6, 2010 at 10:19 am

Oh my! You just never know what you’ll get with a live tree…ours was so big that we could barely get it in the door, after my hubby trimmed about half of it off. I guess trees look much smaller out in the woods. We had some friends who had to anchor their fresh tree to the wall one year because it was so big and heavy. Hope yours stays put!

15 Kimba December 6, 2010 at 10:27 am

We toyed with anchoring it to the wall. But hubby put a bunch of tractor weights on the base and is convinced that will keep it in place. We shall see.

16 Kendra @ My First Kitchen December 6, 2010 at 10:34 am

This didn’t happen to me (thank the goodness), but my friends brought home their tree from the mountains, decorated it, enjoyed its smell for a day or two, and then…

their home was infested with grasshoppers. That had been living in the tree.

Gracious gracious me.
Kendra @ My First Kitchen´s last blog ..Kristins Story- New TraditionsMy ComLuv Profile

17 Sommer December 6, 2010 at 10:47 am

ROFL. You just made my morning with this post. I’m laughing so hard! Not at you of course, with you! Seriously I quit buying real tree’s a few years back because our last real tree was a fire hazzard waiting to happen by day 6. Our current tree happened to be on sale at lowes that year so we trashed the $70 tree and I have loved my artificial one ever since.

18 KellyinPA December 6, 2010 at 10:51 am

Oh my! We had something similar happen about 9 years ago when my twins were infants. I had just finished nursing one of them and we were relaxing on the sofa together and the tree fell over just narrowly missing the both of us. I don’t remember much damage, just laying there and watching it fall and being not being able to stop it as I had a sleeping baby in my arms. ;) Merry Christmas!

19 Gina December 6, 2010 at 10:55 am

Does the little Christmas angel pointing at the tree have anything to do with that scene…hmmm?…just wondering…My mother used to place the tree in a play yard (ca. 1960′s) to protect it from the kids. I have no idea how she watered it – she probably didn’t and we were all in danger if dying in a house fire… As for me, one year I completely UN decorated the tree and returned it to the lot because I was hosting a Christmas party in a few days and the needles were falling off. They gave me a “new” one – cut from the same farm on the same day, I’m sure. Did I mention I was 8 months pregnant? And crazy as a bedbug?

20 Katie December 6, 2010 at 11:10 am

I COMPLETELY feel your pain! My sweet husband and I fought with our tree trying to get it perfectly straight in our tree stand, got ALL the lights and about half of my ornaments on the dang thing…and it completely fell over in our living room. I cried. Because of the mess it made! We ended up propping our tree in the living room against the wall, running to Lowes at 9pm, buying a new tree stand, and starting from scratch. At 1am our tree was finished….so again, I feel your pain and am SO sorry.

21 Jessica December 6, 2010 at 11:16 am

omg I just laughed so hard at that photo! So sorry for laughing at the poor tree, but wow–it’s like a movie!!

My husband and I have finally just given up battling the cats (who LOVE to climb the tree and knock it down a la yours..) & now only get small trees (like 4-5 feet). Much easier to just pick up if knocked/pulled/yanked down;)
Jessica´s last blog ..A Year of Inspiration 2011 Mini CalendarMy ComLuv Profile

22 Jaclyn Hicks December 6, 2010 at 11:28 am

Kimba,
This year, my husband and I set out with our doggie Molly to pick the perfect Christmas tree. He stayed in the car with her, while I went on the hunt for the tree. She is a ‘special’ kind of dog, so he decided to stay back with her. Once I found the tree and paid up, my strong, burly husband came to retrieve said tree.
We hoisted it on top of our wee little car, while I sat in the car to help feed the ropes through the tops of the windows. Once the tree was tied down, my husband went to get in the car, and we realized the doors were tied shut by the ropes!
I was able to climb over the center console to drive, Molly jumped up front with Mom, and my broad-shoulder husband shimmed through a half open window and made it in the car! To top it off, my husband grabbed someone else’s tree! I hope they enjoy ours, I was not about to go back and do this all over again!
Merry Christmas!
Jaclyn Hicks´s last blog ..Waiting for the SnowflakesMy ComLuv Profile

23 kelly December 6, 2010 at 11:38 am

It doesn’t matter if you have a real tree or an artificial one…if you have cats.
Celebrating Christmas in our first apartment, my husband and I bought this small artificial tree that was about four feet tall. We brought it home with a couple hundred dollars of lights, ornaments and garland (way to much stuff for such a small tree – we got a little carried away) and proceeded to set it up on an end table and decorate it.
As we lit it up for the first time, our one year old cat comes strolling into the room. My husband looks at the cat and looks at me, and I say, “Oh, it’s not a real tree. He probably won’t bother it at all.”
Ha.
So we bring the cat over to the tree so he can investigate it under our supervision. He isn’t interested at all…in fact he’s fighting to get away from us. For all I know, he’s afraid we’re going to put him on that overloaded tree also.
So the day passes and we go to bed…and wake up at about three in the morning to some kind of commotion in the living room. We instantly know what has happened, even before we go check it out.
Sure enough, there’s the tree on the floor, but no sign of the cat. As we try to tilt the tree upright again, we notice it’s heavier than before…and then we hear the desperate meow inside the tree.
Our cat is entangled in the ropes of lights and garlands, his eyes are huge and he keeps meowing. My husband starts to laugh and says “Listen! He’s saying, ‘Help! Help! It’s got me!”
That cat never bothered a Christmas tree again.

24 Mrs. Jen B December 6, 2010 at 11:48 am

Oh NO!! That is the worst feeling, and I wish I could say that I can’t relate, but I can.

Last year, we were going to have a big party 2 weeks before Christmas. We both took off the day prior in order to get the cooking and other preparations done. Around 4:00 in the afternoon, as I was just taking a pie out of the oven, I heard SNAP! I whirled around just in time to see our beautiful, gorgeous tree sloooowly fall over onto a side table. It was like slow motion – I was reaching out to stop it even though I was nowhere near it. The stand had broken, hence the snap. Out of nowhere, with no one anywhere near it. My husband came running from another room while I stood there in shock, afraid to see what had broken. Sadly, one of the ornaments we bought in WDW on our honeymoon did shatter, which sent me into a storm of tears. So we leaned the tree up against a corner and I took off all the decorations and cleaned up the mess while my husband went from store to store for 2 hours, trying to find a new one. After all, we were having a party the next day, can’t have a Christmas party with no tree. He found one, and it’s great, and I really hope to never have to deal with that again!

25 melissa @ the inspired room December 6, 2010 at 11:58 am

So good to see you back blogging again, well, at least more often! Our fireplace garland crashed to the ground this year so I understand the feeling. lol.
melissa @ the inspired room´s last blog ..My Secret House Cleaning Ritual REVEALEDMy ComLuv Profile

26 Fiona's Mosaic December 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Oh!!! I am so so sorry! Bless your heart! Hoping that nothing sentimental was broken. :o (
Fiona’s Mosaic´s last blog ..Gratitude JournalMy ComLuv Profile

27 Southern Gal December 6, 2010 at 12:25 pm

We had the same experiences…over and over. This is the first year in a long time that we bought a live tree. It’s been artificial for years because of the topping over thing. We actually used fishing line to support the top to the window molding a few years. So far this year it’s been a blessing. The hubs has learned how to look for a straight trunk and that has helped tremendously. Now I just have to remember to water it, cause it’s not about to come down before December 26!
Southern Gal´s last blog ..The Warrior is a ChildMy ComLuv Profile

28 Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage December 6, 2010 at 12:25 pm

OMG ours fell one year!! Hubs solution was to TIE it with WIRE to my china cabinet….redneck christmas….
Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage´s last blog ..Etsymom Blog Hop Giveaway with an Ornament TutorialMy ComLuv Profile

29 Funky Junk Interiors December 6, 2010 at 12:36 pm

LOL!!

Yes. The year my son learned how to crawl. I had to put those horribly ugly safety gates right around the entire tree so he wouldn’t knock it over.

Before that? My two cats then kittens LOVED the tree and kept running up the thing. I would be greeted with TINKLE TINKLE TINKLE while the tree shook. Then one day it came tumbling down.

Incidently, we went with a real tree this year for the first time in 20 years, which makes this my son’s very first. Positive experience all around! So far. :) I even cut it straight the second time. :)

Donna
Funky Junk Interiors´s last blog ..SNS 59 brings you – Your favorite things gift or DIY inspiredMy ComLuv Profile

30 Tammy @ Not Just Paper and Glue December 6, 2010 at 12:36 pm

That is just horrible! I am so sorry this has happened. When I was young, I spent all summer and fall painting those little plaster ornaments. Because the tree was in a corner we only put the ornaments on the front and sides – big mistake. The tree was so heavy that it fell over one night. It scared us all out of our sleep. My mom ended up putting a hook in the corner and tying the tree up. :)

31 Julie December 6, 2010 at 12:50 pm

God Bless You! Know exactly how you feel! Our tree has never tumbled down but like another follower, my Mom and I had to put a nail in the wall and tie it up one year! lol This year I’m using a wire type of tree where you just plop the ornaments on the arms. Takes all of 15 minutes to drag it up from the basement and put it up! My kind of tree…did a little dance when I got done putting it up and said a prayer that I didn’t have to shed any tears over it this year. Its amazing how stressful decorating can really be isn’t it? Take care and try to enjoy the holiday season. Thanks for all you do.

32 Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds December 6, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I feel your pain! My Christmas tree fell last year and it caused such a mess and broke a good deal of ornaments. Luckily I found a way to reuse the ornaments into a craft. I’m hoping things go smoother this year- and for you too!
Jenny @ DIY Newlyweds´s last blog ..White Chocolate Christmas TreeMy ComLuv Profile

33 Beccas Dirt December 6, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Darn it – I hate when that happens. I got over the real tree thing many years ago. Now I’m happy with an artificial.

34 Debbie December 6, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Oh my. Definitely no words, I’m so sorry :( We do the artificial tree thing, I don’t think I have enough energy to tackle the real tree ordeal. I think my biggest crazy Christmas tree story is when I had a couple of cats that climbed the thing like they were out in a jungle somewhere. No knock overs, though, thank goodness.

35 Pamela @ Atmosphere ID December 6, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Oh man! What a pain!! My two naughty cats knocked our tree down one year. I came home from work and found it and all my glass ornaments in a pile on floor. We’ve since switched over to shatter proof ornaments since we now how a giant lab and his tail is leathal.

36 Tiffany December 6, 2010 at 3:49 pm

The year my oldest son was born (he is 16 now), we had no money for a tree. My husband cut one from someone thinning out a tree line, spent $5 and brought it home in the pouring rain. It took up most of the living room and dripped water for a day as it dried out.

Then it started dripping worms! The cat knocked it over. Twice. We threw it out the back door 2 days before Christmas. You’d think that would be our last real tree, but we didn’t go artificial for many years after that.

37 Marion December 6, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Oh, ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

I am imagining all your beautiful ornaments in their crushed state and that makes me sad.

Okay, well last year I was starting a new job and our schedule as a family was out of control…We went out on Christmas Eve to get a tree. Well, to look for a tree. Alas, there were none. We ended up getting a three foot Rosemary Tree at Whole Foods.

And my little girl took the whole deal in stride – and I think your little ones will too. It’s these “disasters” that bring us together as a family. Years from now, they’ll tell the story..”oh, that was the year the tree fell down and we had to saw it off…”

38 Pamela December 6, 2010 at 3:55 pm

It’s a been-there-done-that moment for me. And it’s not funny at the moment. Somehow through the retelling each year it becomes a belly-laughing, traditional-telling story.

39 Talysa December 6, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I can empathize. Lost my daughter’s baby ornament last year. Here’s the story…http://mcmanuspartyoffive.blogspot.com/2009/12/i-fought-tree.html

Warning: it involves bungee cords. ;-)

PS. Word of advice…go buy the mac daddy stand of tree stands. Made all the difference and this year was a breeze!

40 Dusa December 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm

I owe up to my laughter here. I don’t know which I found funnier: the fuzzy “I’m taking a picture of the tree…oh wait…ohhhhh” captured on film, or the fact that your son is looking like he’s trying to save it from 6 feet away.

41 Kathy Martin December 6, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Oh no! What a bummer!

I have two tree stories to share. When I was a teen I talked my mom into spending quite a bit more for this gorgeous flocked tree. I think mom agreed because my dad was turning 40 that December and she was throwing him a big party. Anyway, Dad drove the car in the garage and hit the tree and split the trunk!

The other story is about my husband having to put their tree up on Christmas eve every year because their cat would always climb it and knock it down!

Well, life is made of memories and stories. Sometimes at first something isn’t funny. Hopefully you will be able to look back on this and laugh!

42 Amanda @ Serenity Now December 6, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Oh, what a bummer!!! I don’t have any funny stories about the tree, but my husband and I do fight over where his ugly crocheted Big Bird Head ornament will go every year. ;)

43 cyndispivey December 6, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I broke my tree as soon as I got it out of the box this year. My husband said we should wait and buy another one after Christmas when they’re on sale. I gave him a very dirty look and we went and bought another one that day. :-)
Blessings and thanks for stopping by!
cyndispivey´s last blog ..December Challenge…Peace on EarthMy ComLuv Profile

44 Sandy@Life Began in a Garden December 6, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Well, there was the year, when I was about 10, that our cat,Bonnie, decided she wanted to climb the tree that had inexplicably sprouted in our living room. Water, broken ornaments, an upset mommie, you know the drill! I can’t remember if it was before or after Christmas that it happened, but it sure was a Christmas to remember!

45 Kim December 6, 2010 at 10:04 pm

I too had a real tree tip over,,,,,it was in the middle of the night and I woke up to a mess. I had to attach it to hooks on the wall with fishing line JUST to keep it up….. NO MORE REAL TREES.

46 Pat December 6, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Oh …good times!
I was thinking when I saw your tree lying there on your floor…well, at least it had A SOFT PLACE TO LAND…
Our tree story happened the year my oldest daughter was born and we had gotten my husbands two daughters for the first time for Christmas…He wanted the biggest tree! Fortunately we had a vaulted ceiling in that house.
I was on the phone when I heard the slight “whooshing” sound and rounded the corner to see my tree coming down inches from where my 7 month old baby girl was lying on the floor. I just stood there astonished! I didn’t say a word and just hung up on my brother in law who had no idea what had just happened.
My husband drove a nail in the wall and wrapped a string around it and the tree…and called it done!

47 Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top December 6, 2010 at 11:07 pm

Aww man! That really stinks! I’ve had plenty of real trees fall over and that’s why I have a fake one now. I hope you could salvage most of your ornaments.
Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top´s last blog ..A Super Simple Christmas WreathMy ComLuv Profile

48 Handy Man, Crafty Woman December 6, 2010 at 11:49 pm

Oh my…!! One year, our tree fell down. I was reading our son a story on the couch across the room…I saw it move out of the corner of my eye, but it was too late to do anything, then BOOM, it fell down. My little man (age 4) cried and cried!!! Only 3 ornaments broke, I was surprised. Hubby fixed it up better …sheesh. I’m just glad it didn’t fall on us!

49 Mom in High Heels December 7, 2010 at 1:08 am

Oh, no! If you’re like me, you likely spent a long time arranging (and rearranging) the ornaments. I can’t imagine having it fall over!
The first Christmas James Bond and I lived in Germany (1997), we went to a local tree farm and I found the PERFECT tree. Seriously, it was perfect and just as I spotted it, snow started falling (and maybe a choir of angels began to sing, but I can’t promise that). I had to have this tree. IT was shaped exactly like a Christmas tree should be, was full and fluffy and smelled wonderful. Plus, snow fall and angels singing. That was surely a sign. JB said he thought is was a little big for our small apartment, but I told him that was nonsense, this was the perfect size and would look beautiful in our floor to ceiling window. He grumbled a bit (as he is wont to do), but drug the tree over to the cashier, got it wrapped and tied it to the top of our car. When we got it home (he had to drag it up 3 flights of stairs) and he cut the netting open, the tree literally exploded into the living room taking up almost every available inch of floor space and pressing into the window so much that it looked like we had a forest in the living room. We looked at each other laughed so hard we both cried. JB had to borrow a saw from a neighbor and spent over an hour hacking away at the lower limbs to make the tree fit and give us room to actually walk in the living room.
We now have a fake tree (sadness), but we remember the ginormous exploding tree every Christmas. I still think it was the perfect tree, it’s just that our apartment was too small.

50 sherry hart December 7, 2010 at 9:19 am

Holy Christmas…that was a tragedy!!! That’s like one of things things that is bad when it happens but makes for a good story later on :)

51 bluecottonmemory December 7, 2010 at 10:36 am

How un-nerving! The only Christmas tree “event” was finding our cat asleep in the branches! Whew! That was a restful one:) Merry Christmas!
bluecottonmemory´s last blog ..Christmas Tree HuggersMy ComLuv Profile

52 MarytheKay December 7, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Oh NOOOO!!! So very sorry!!! That is one of those moments that you wish someone else was the mom, someone else was in charge of cleaning up, figuring out HOW to clean it up… (Kind of like when your child vomits all over the bedding in the middle of the night)

Is THAT why my tree stopped soaking up water last year? Because I forgot to water it as *couple* of days?? :-)

If it’s any consolation at all…it sure makes for a great picture (of your overturned tree), and a funny memory…someday… In the meantime, I really am sorry.

53 Melanie Flinn December 7, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Oh no! I am sorry for you, but it is a pretty funny picture. You will look back and laugh someday. It wouldn’t be December if there wasn’t some Holiday drama. ;) Hope everything turned out ok.
Melanie Flinn´s last blog ..Healthy Holiday Baking…Activity!My ComLuv Profile

54 Karen December 7, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Ohmygoodness! One year I had to undecorate and re do the lights cause they all were out. It was probably fuses but I couldn’t fix them. I cried the whole time!

55 Lori December 7, 2010 at 11:28 pm

Oh, that’s the worst! I had our tree fall a couple years ago but, fortunately, it didn’t fall ‘completely’ over… just on top of the nearby bookcase.

We always bought live trees when I was growing up. I still vividly remember the year I saw thousands of tiny bugs crawling over an entire branch of our newly erected Christmas tree. I told my dad, who sawed off the entire branch into a carefully propped up bag. I was a little creeped out by that tree the rest of the holiday season because I wasn’t convinced he got all the bugs.

This is the first year we are using an artificial tree and it’s because of health reasons (I have severe allergies – last year’s tree almost killed me). I think I’m in love! It’s so easy to put up and doesn’t require constant watering. The only thing I miss is the fresh tree smell.

56 Jenny Matlock December 8, 2010 at 4:16 am

Oh no. I saw this picture on another blog I follow. Yikes. I’ve been known to tie a rope around a tree and nail the rope to the wall. I guess that’s why some people hang them from the ceiling. Sorry for the crash.
Jenny Matlock´s last blog ..Story-Time Tuesday – Writing FictionMy ComLuv Profile

57 Catherine December 8, 2010 at 6:47 am

I am so sorry, this is such a bummer, isn’t it! We had an “incident” 5 years ago. I was up before dawn and noticed our tree had developed a tilt overnight. Thought I’d have the hubby check it out when he got up. Went to the basement to throw in laundry when a loud crashing, smashing, breaking, falling sound came from above, followed by silence, and the sound of one lone ornament rolling across the uneven hardwood floors above. A pitiful sound indeed.

I raced upstairs to meet my husband racing downstairs, where we were met with a holy Christmas mess. We donned shoes. I shed tears over the precious lost ornaments that had sentimental meaning for me. We cleaned up water, glass and pine needles….turns out our stand had cracked in half – who knew that was possible?!

Praying this is the worst thing that happens in your home this blessed Christmas season!

58 karen December 8, 2010 at 9:26 am

One year we had The Incredible Leaning Tree! We thought it was our tree stand and kept wrangling with it but it was the tree gradually leaning to the side as it got later in the season…it was the weirdest thing and I couldn’t wait to haul it out to the trash! Ho! Ho!Ho!

59 Shelley @ Calypso In the Country December 8, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Every year my husband thinks he is picking out the perfect tree and every year we bring it home and have to “cut off a few stray branches”. Unfortunately, we ALWAYS cut off too much in the wrong spot and then have to spin the tree around so the good side is showing. Our tree is never straight and we never seem to have the correct size stand for the current tree. On two separate years, our tree has fallen over – once in the middle of the night and once right after we finished decorating it. I am looking forward to this year’s disaster!

60 Peggy December 8, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Well, my story is sort of two parts, the getting the tree and the getting rid of the tree. My father gave my then 17 year old sister and I(11 at the time) a 100 dollar bill and told us to go get a tree. And get a tree we did. It was *perfect* a completely straight tree with no gaps, droops or anything, and it was about the size of your tree Kimba-our saving grace being that we had high cielings and large parlor. The tree completely filled the picture window! When my Dad asked for change(the tree was still wrapped) and we gave him a $20, he asked what else did you buy? Nothing, were we supposed to buy anything else besides the most perfectest tree ever? After my parents kept telling everyone about how much we had spent on the tree, we realised we may have messed up, a bit. Part two-After Christmas we decided to make up for our mistake by taking the tree out of the house for my dad. My father is Mr. Fixit(literally)and has all sorts of neat tools, but none of them helped. We were just to weak to get the screws out of the trunk. Instead of giving up, we wrestled/dragged the tree thru the house(white carpeted parlor, tiled kitchen-with two turns to get from one side to the other-biege carpeted great room) and out the back door. The stand was still full of water, so guess what we did after we got it outside? Yep. We cleaned carpet, vacuumed, after picking up branches that had torn off, and learned a valuable lesson-just because Daddy makes it look easy, doesn’t mean it is easy. Bless Dad’s heart, he just sighed heavily and asked us to call in the future and ask if we could help him. As for the next year, he gave us another $100, and two additional items to get as well as a tree. We came home with the two requested items, and our tree was broom with some spare pine branches glued to it. Dad got $85 back in change.

61 Mary lou December 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Take a photo now and put it on next year’s card!

62 Amy @ Homestead Revival December 9, 2010 at 1:10 am

Ohhh, so sorry to see THAT happen! One year our cat kept climbing up the trunk and I was sure it was going to come down. Somehow it managed to stay upright. We’ve done the artificial trees for several years and this time we’re going back to the real thing. We’ll see what happens…
Amy @ Homestead Revival´s last blog ..Cheese And Herb BiscuitsMy ComLuv Profile

63 Suesan December 9, 2010 at 8:30 am

My husband loved to go out to the woods and cut down the tree. He brought one home one year that was a little sparse. A friend convinced him that if he drilled a hole in the trunk at the open space and then stuck in a branch from the bottom of the tree, all would be well. False! Three days later those grafted branches wilted and fell to the floor and took out several bulbs with it. That was the last year we cut down our own tree. Fast forward several years. We moved to Ohio. We were now buying our trees off of lots. We bought a tree that looked fine but something seemed off to me. We got it home to realize it was basically a dead tree that they had spray-painted green. Our kids were all “Ouch! This tree hurts!” as they were trying to hang the ornaments. I’m now the proud owner of a beautiful, full, completely fake tree and I’ll NEVER regret it.
Suesan´s last blog ..A Little Old- A Little New Christmas WreathMy ComLuv Profile

64 Jennifer December 9, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Been there done that it’s called my cat jennifer jennsthreegraces

65 elizabeth December 9, 2010 at 11:49 pm

We are (ok, I am) big fans of real trees at our house. One year I came home from work to find our tree down, as well as most of of the mantle decor. Smashed, all smashed. Most of our trees end up tethered to the wall now with fishing line or whatever is handy. It’s a real classy look, but I’ll take it over the fake tree any day!

66 Irene December 10, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I have a ridiculous Christmas tree story! One year the kids and I were about homeless, I am a single Mom of 3 (one now in Heaven) two here with me still. That year we were living with my best friend and her children. We decided to live together to help each other out but with 2 adults and 7 children in one house, it didn’t work out. I decided to move. I put a deposit on a small house and when I went to move in the city beat me there and said it wasn’t safe to live in. I could not find the landlord, so I didn’t get my deposit back. By the Grace of God and some very wonderful co-workers we were able to come up with another deposit for another even smaller house. It was December 17th and we had no Christmas Tree and no money so no gifts either. We decided that we were going to “make” a tree. We went out back of the house that backed up to a small grouping of trees. I couldn’t really call it a forest per say, but there were quite a few trees back there. We collected tree branches for over an hour trying to get just the right ones. When we had enough, I took ribbon off of an old Christmas wreath and my handy glue gun and made a very sad excuse for a tree. It was very small and I even used some branches that had leaves on them to make it at least somewhat green. We had ornaments so we added the home made ones on the tree and added one strand of lights since it was very small. We sat back and looked at our little ridiculous Christmas tree and smiled because it was ours and we had a home for Christmas. Two days later I received a check in the mail for child support. A whopping $120.00 for three kids that was 4 months overdue. Instead of spending money on a tree I bought them a few Christmas presents. I really wish now I would have kept that tree or at least taken a picture of it. Since then we have been so blessed. Merry Christmas!

67 Melissa December 11, 2010 at 9:23 pm

My parents got married on Dec. 23rd Their tree that year had praying menace eggs in it that hatched when brought into the warm house. The first year they let me pick out our tree I picked out one about 3 feet too tall for the living room.

This year, our tree has fallen over 3 times already. And I just put it up yesterday! Not to mention our 18 month old ripping off all of the ornaments, lights, and bead garland a few times.

68 Courtney December 12, 2010 at 11:37 pm

This same thing happened to us last year. But, our tree fell not once, not twice, but THREE times. My husband and I were about to kill each other over it. I was about ready to take that thing outside after the third time. We ended chopping about a foot off the bottom to get it to fit in the stand. What a HUGE waste of money.

I swear I’m not paid to share this, but I would highly recommend the Krinner XL Christmas tree stand. Amazon sells them. I bought one after the debacle last year. I knew a year would pass and I would forget how upset it made us. I also knew it would be hard for me to forego my beloved fraser fir – and frankly they are just more gorgeous when they are BIG. So, I bought the mother of all Christmas tree stands, choked as I spent the money, but I tell you…. It is totally worth it.

Marriage saved by Christmas tree stand. Amen.

69 Yvette December 30, 2010 at 4:13 am

Unable to sleep and was going through my fav blogs yours being one of them :) . I had to chuckle, not at your tree falling but it reminded me of how two years in a row my tree fell on me. Two years ago was the first time my slightly chubby cat thought the branches could hold him and he jumped in the tree while I was under it watering and it came toppling down on me. I screamed for dear husband who couldn’t stop laughing. Last year I was, again watering the tree, but I noticed it seemed as if the tree was “leaning” so as I was watering and adjusting the screws, yup it started to fall and as much as I tried getting up fast that tree came down faster!!! After investigating further it was leaning because it wasn’t seated all the way down on the prong thingys in the tree stand. Hubby didn’t get a picture but my kids can visualize me being stuck under the tree when I tell the story :) ………happy new year!!!