Christmas Morning Breakfast: The Best French Toast Ever

by Kimba on December 15, 2010

in In the Kitchen

A couple of weeks ago, I promised you the best french toast recipe ever. I used it to serve 30 people on the night before Thanksgiving.

In true Kimba fashion, I got distracted by something shiny and forgot my promise. But here it is! The best ever french toast.

I haven’t always been a huge french toast fan…sometimes it’s just too egg-y for my taste. But this recipe is the perfect combo of bread, egg, butter and yum. I don’t know if it’s the addition of flour and sugar to the batter or something else. I just know that I will never make french toast another way again.

I adore this recipe so much that I think it will be making an appearance on our Christmas morning breakfast table.

I use grocery store italian bread for this french toast, but regular old sandwich bread would work just fine.

Be prepared for much plate licking.

Best Ever French Toast

4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
12 slices of bread
Butter (for cooking and spreading)
Syrup

• Mix together dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl
  • Beat together eggs, milk and vanilla then add to dry ingredients and combine
  • Heat a large skillet or griddle
  • Add butter to skillet
  • Dip each slice of bread in egg mixture and flip once
  • Cook each slice for about 1 minute per side or until golden brown
  • Continue adding butter (mmm. mmmm. mmmmm.) as you cook more slices

1 Southern Gal December 15, 2010 at 8:15 am

My recipe is similar only I don’t use flour. I’ll have to give it a try. My oldest son loves French Toast and would eat it every day if I’d make it that often. I’ve tried some of the casserole versions, but they are always too sweet. So it’s back to the old stand by…only now I’m going to add flour. Thanks.
Southern Gal´s last blog ..This SeasonMy ComLuv Profile

2 Estela @ Weekly Bite December 15, 2010 at 8:45 am

Looks delicious!! I love french toast and have never made it with flour before. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

3 Kendra {House of Ficek} December 15, 2010 at 11:51 am

I will definitely be trying this recipe, maybe this weekend. I LOVE breakfast foods!

4 Heathahlee December 15, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. I luuuurve French toast, and that sounds divine! I am putting it on my menu for this week!
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Paper Star OrnamentMy ComLuv Profile

5 Lisa-Jo @thegypsymama December 15, 2010 at 2:47 pm

We make one similar, and I’ve always thought it’s the vanilla that brings such magical qualities to the experience!

6 Mrs. Jen B December 15, 2010 at 3:56 pm

A HA! I totally forgot my sister’s “secret ingredient” and you’ve reminded me – flour! Awesome, thank you so much!

7 Lara Jane December 15, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Mmm! I’m definitely trying this! I’ve never heard of adding sugar OR flour to the batter, but it does seem like it would take care of the super sog that often occurs with making French toast! I always love a little splash of vanilla, too. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

8 Heathahlee December 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I made it tonight! And posted about it! : )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Paper Star OrnamentMy ComLuv Profile

9 Melesa Garrison December 17, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I can’t wait to try it…I usually don’t like it b/c it’s too soggy, but this sounds great! I love the bacon tip! I’m so pumped that I tried calling my daughter to tell her. Thanks so much ;)

10 Andrea December 18, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Today while at work, I was trying to decide what to make for myself and the kids for dinner. I wanted it to be fun, as my hubby is away, so it’s a girls night for us =) Then I remembered this post, and what is more fun than breakfast for dinner? Thank you! It’s sizzling in it’s buttery pan right now =)
Andrea´s last blog ..Our Favorite Ways to Celebrate 3My ComLuv Profile

11 Crystal December 20, 2010 at 10:41 am

Sounds delicious!! I will definitely be trying this! :)

12 Crystal December 20, 2010 at 10:41 am

Sounds delicious!! I will definitely be trying this! :)