Magazine Junkies, Avert Your Eyes

by Kimba on October 11, 2010

in decorating,Organizing,Sanctuary at Home

I’ve shared before that I’m a major magazine junkie. I have so many subscriptions that I love and enjoy. This Old House, Southern Living, BHG, Coastal Living, and on and on. My problem is that I can’t part with my magazines once I’ve read them! Same goes for home decorating catalogs like Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware and Ballard Designs.

They’re so full of great ideas that I hate to throw them away. And so my house is becoming overrun with old magazines. They’re on shelves, in boxes, on end table and in those magazine organizer thingies. Hoarder, anyone?

Since I subscribe when Amazon has a super sale and I pay with gift cards earned from Swagbucks, they’re usually really cheap or free, so I view my subscriptions as an inexpensive treat.

But I began to see images of my children being crushed by stacks of falling magazines.

This weekend, I finally accepted that I’ll never go back through all my old magazines to find the great ideas. By the time I get to that job, the ideas would probably be so ridiculously outdated. Shag carpet, anyone? Besides, I’m much more likely to get online and search for ideas than I am to browse through old catalogs.

It would have been great if I had been cutting out the inspiring pictures and articles along the way but that didn’t happen. Do I really think I’ll find the time to go back through hundreds of old magazines and do it now? Probably not.

So, I let them go. I pulled out the big garbage can and put them all together for recycling. I wish I had weighed all the bags but I’m willing to bet that I got rid of at least 200 lbs of magazines. That’s an entire person!

The only ones that I kept were my favorite cooking magazine…Cook’s Illustrated. The BEST cooking magazine, in my opinion. And the only one that I happily pay full-price for.

Going forward, I’m going to start cutting out articles and pictures that I want to remember. And I’ll try to organize them in binders like We Are Not Martha recommends. Or maybe I’ll use this simpler system from Org Junkie.

If you’re a techie, you could try organizing your magazine clippings digitally.

I’ve got to tell you…it felt so freeing to finally get rid of that excess clutter! Is there something in your home (or your life) that’s taking up space? If you don’t use it, let it go!

1 Richella at Imparting Grace October 11, 2010 at 9:41 am

There’s some big-time letting go that I need to do! It DOES feel good and freeing when you finally gird up your loins and just do it. . . I know. I know. But I need a reminders. Thanks for providing one!

2 Stacy@RedDoorHome October 11, 2010 at 9:53 am

Another great place to recycle magazines is the library. My local branch has a used book store which includes a section of free magazines. This is a great way to share your subscriptions.

3 sondra October 11, 2010 at 10:04 am

Oh, I know that hurt on some level! I do the same thing! I do pull articles out and file them occasionally. I send most of my magazines to the nursing home. The residents enjoy them and some of the staff take them home or read them in their break room.
sondra´s last blog ..Not Another Proud Grandmother Post!My ComLuv Profile

4 Emily October 11, 2010 at 10:04 am

I have been ripping out pages of magazines to save since I was a young teen. I feel like if I don’t rip it out then, I will never remember that great idea!! :) I finally broke down and bought 2 binders and put all of my pages into the notebooks. One for recipes and one for decorating/crafts. Now I can just grab the notebooks any time I need a little inspiration :)

5 heidi @ wonder woman wannabe October 11, 2010 at 10:05 am

Way to go, Kimba!

As a professional organizer, I applaud you!! :)
( http://www.operationorganization-mn.blogspot.com )

I usually try to get rid of a magazine every time a new one comes in the house. Keeps me in check and I do clip favorite images and/or articles to file away in a binder as well.

6 Stephanie@cre8tive October 11, 2010 at 10:20 am

Oh I hear ya! Magazines are a pitfall for both me and my husband. I hoard interior design type magazines, and he hoards Science ones {yawn}. It is so freeing when I go through them and then go donate them to the library. Good for you!

7 Maureen F October 11, 2010 at 10:24 am

Oh my goodness – I have the same issue – I have tons of scrapbooking/crafting magazines. I love those Sommerset ones and they are 14.99 a pop !! I still can’t imagine throwing them out but I will most likley will like you did – I RARELY go back to them as my intentions are to do so. Thanks for showing it can be done and there is no harm, only good to recycle :)

8 Anita October 12, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I love those Somerset ones too. And I agree they are expensive. My suggestion? If you have ab ,log, do a giveaway and send them on to someone else. You’ll get followers and spreasd the love, all for the low cost of media mail!

9 beth October 11, 2010 at 10:28 am

I am the same way!! I have magazines EVERYWHERE! I didn’t have as many as you did, though, and recently I went back through all my old magazines and tore out my favorite home features. I decided that I was going to save up a couple months worth of magazines at a time, then go back through and tear out my favorite pictures and throw the rest away, that way the kids don’t get crushed with magazines, he he. :)

10 Terri October 11, 2010 at 10:30 am

This is odd. I drug out magazines from a basket in the closet (overflowing) and all over the house. They are in boxes and bags….I have already called the library and they want them for their upcoming book/magazine sale. It is hard to part with them because they do inspire me to rearrange and decorate but I figured out this weekend that so do some of my favorite blogs and I won’t have the clutter.

I say good for us and here is a pat on your back.

11 Chelsy@sweetpeasandkisses October 11, 2010 at 10:30 am

Oh my goodness, I felt like you were reading my mind through this whole post! I am so thankful that I’m not the only one who has this problem and I CAN NOT wait until my husband gets home from work to show him that there are other magazine lovers out there! Although, I may have to omit the last part because I’m not sure if I can part with all of mine just yet. Hoarders anyone?!

12 Mecha October 11, 2010 at 10:40 am

I use digital magazines! I have a 8GB flash drive with 800 or so magazines on it. Once you pay for the subscription on Zinio the magazine is yours forever. And if it’s a recipe or room that you would like to save, then you copy and paste and send it to the “ideas” folder on the flash drive…easy peasy. Mecha

13 Stephanie October 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

Oh my you are really living on the wild side. I’ve thought I should do this a million times, but….I just box them and pay a monthly fee to store them in a storage building!!! SICK, SICK, SICK I know!!! Absolutely crazy. I’m getting ready to clean out the storage building so…perhaps your post will give me the courage to toss a few boxes. AAAAHHHH, I need to start preparing myself now!!!!

14 Bren October 28, 2010 at 3:25 am

Stephanie,
During a recent light remodeling job in our kitchen I rented a storage unit to get a few items out of our way. Then I started storing my magazines & a few boxes of clothes to clean out the closet. Well the next visit I discovered a mouse had invaded and chewed on the books & made a mess on my clothes. I was sick about my magazines & ashamed of myself for paying rent for a mouse. That was my wake-up call !! Everything was trashed due to the mouse. Now after I read my magazines I lovingly pass them on to the free clinic and anxiously await my next issue. Not only have I cut out the clutter but I’m saving the monthly rental fee. I feel your pain…just take a deep breathe and start decluttering. Just a stack at a time…….

15 Andrea October 11, 2010 at 11:20 am

I used to do this too! I now only keep 1 years worth of magazines, so each January, I go through the previous years mag’s, cut out any ideas that I must keep and put them in my idea book, and recycle the rest. That way they never get out of hand, but I don’t feel like I’m throwing them out as soon as I’ve received them =)

16 Julia @ Hooked on Houses October 11, 2010 at 11:37 am

I’ve got the same magazine habit. I can’t resist a good deal when Amazon is having them. Then there are the kids in the neighborhood who sell subscriptions to raise money for various causes. And my mother-in-law always buys them for me for Christmas and birthday gifts. Before you know it, my house starts looking like the magazine racks in a Barnes & Noble. Yikes.

It’s really time for me to weed them out again. They pile up fast!
Julia @ Hooked on Houses´s last blog ..“The Hand That Rocks the Cradle” HouseMy ComLuv Profile

17 Natural Mama October 11, 2010 at 11:39 am

I keep only up to 6 months worth of magazines, but it IS hard to part with them each time. :( I did start going through and cutting out decor pictures that I like to keep in a sort of home binder.
Giving them to them library is another great idea. I also saw bundles of magazines tied together for sale at a yard sale the other day. $5 for a HUGE stack of Southern Living. I thought that was a great idea. Too bad your Yard Sale has past. :)

18 Terri October 11, 2010 at 11:49 am

I have the same problem!!! It is so hard to part with them. I actually invented a moving inventory system (for our many, many moves) so the boxes are coded and my husband couldn’t get mad that he was moving magazines again!!! Kid’s schools love magazines, preschools, too. Lots of places will take them as donations! Bless you for releasing them! I had to just stop subscribing…. Blessings!

19 Jacque October 11, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Man, I love magazines and had a real knack for saving them until I realized that whenever I went back to look through them, my allergies kicked into high gear. It seemed that no matter what I did, they always collected too much dust and I’d be wheezing in no time.

Now, it’s my husband’s magazines and newspapers that sneak up and get me coughing. Wonder if he’d enjoy this post? LOL.

Seriously though, way to go! That must have been really hard ( it was for me too). Now, any suggestions for getting rid of Cub Scout stuff?

20 Sandy October 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I too love mags. My system is to only have 8 magazine holders(white from Ikea) that I can use to store magazines. When they’re full I have to get rid of some. Mags that I’ve looked at and don’t want to keep I take to the church to share with others. Dropping some off at the hospital or DRs. office works too. Good job at clearing them out.

21 Rachel October 11, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I would have loved to rummage through your trash can. I love a good magazine to help me zone out on the ellipitcal at the gym. If you ever need to recycle your magazines again, head to your local gym and let them have them. The people working out would thank you!

22 Sam October 11, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I have the same problem with magazines, but luckily I only have a few subscriptions (and no kids) so my stack of old magz are not too high, or dangerous! But I think it is time to do some fall cleaning and get rid of the May 2008 edition of Times, nothing worth saving in there lol
Sam´s last blog ..TGIF- Beautiful Fall WeekendMy ComLuv Profile

23 The Nester October 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I am such a magazine lover too. I’ve had a pile in a box in the garage for weeks and yesterday I tried to take them with me to the goodwill but the man said they wouldn’t accept magazines. I don’t blame them. But oh how it kills me to recycle them. doing it today.

24 Amber Filkins October 11, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I ♥ magazines too. The funny thing is, I have been going through my old magazines all weekend. My hubby and I get the NCIS seasons through Blockbuster, so when we have marathon viewings, I go through my old magazines on the couch. I lay them into piles by category (recipes, decorating, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc). I recently emptied out a filing cabinet in the garage, and now I just go and file them into folders. MUCH easier than the binders I was doing before.

The other thing I’ve done, is really paid attention to the magazines I tear the most inspiration out of. And for me, that is Country Living and BHG. So I’ve eliminated all others. :)

♥ Amber
Silver Lining
Amber Filkins´s last blog ..Do not lose heartMy ComLuv Profile

25 Jennifer October 11, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Oh please come weed out my old magazines! I just can’t seem to part with them, no matter how hard I try. There is always a recipe, a table setting, a paint color, or room that fills me with inspiration& keeps me hanging on to them, yet band, soccer, youth group, travel, remodeling (I forgot to use that magazine I was saving!), or time on the farm keeps me from taking out the article I needed.

You’ve inspired me, I just hope I can be successful!

26 Amanda @ Serenity Now October 11, 2010 at 3:14 pm

This magazine junkie could not avert her eyes b/c she saw “magazine” in the title of the post. ;) I have had to sort through and toss all my old mags before. Mine are piling up again, and I’m going to include magazines on the list for the next Book Swap I host for my MOPS group. :)

27 Gretchen October 11, 2010 at 3:23 pm

It must have been in the air this weekend. I cleaned out my magazine rack and gave the recycling truck a heavy load this morning. Ahhh…. so freeing.

28 Tracey October 11, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I used to do the same thing. Now I actually look forward to finishing a magazine so I can rid my house of the clutter!
Tracey´s last blog ..My Husbands Office Has Great SticksMy ComLuv Profile

29 gail October 11, 2010 at 3:30 pm

I also tear out the pages I want to keep with the intention of filing them all in neat little folders. So now instead of having a pile of magazines, I have a pile of torn out pages! And the cycle continues!!

30 bobbi October 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I am a hoarder of Reminisce Magazine and I can’t part with my old editions. Congratulations on your progress!!

31 Missy G October 11, 2010 at 4:28 pm

I can’t beleive it! I do the exact same thing. I have EVERY Martha Stewart Living in print, Real Simple from 2001-ish to current, Cottage Living and Budget Living (both no longer in print), BHG…and list goes on. I also have a surplus of Ballard Designs, Pottery Barn, William Sonoma and random other catalogs saved. I hate parting with them. In my office closet I installed one of those heavy duty utility shelves from Costco- yet I still have magazines and catalogs EVERYWHERE! Once in a while I purge them- but it’s time consuming because I do go through each and every one and pull out what I like. I’ve started looking at my magazines with a Sharpie marker in hand, when I see something I like, I ear-mark the magazine page and put a star next to the item on that page that inspired me to mark it- then when I am done perusing the magazine as a whole I pull it out and binder it! I will be getting a bin in the garage dedicated to my crazy magazine and catalog addiction so when I get rid of them- I can at least recycle!
For those of us that the items don’t make it to a binder in an orderly fashion…I also have a couple of document boxes from Target I put them in, then put them out of site! In fact- this has inspired me to write a post on my blog about these bins and organization! Thanks! Sorry my comment is so long!
Missy G´s last blog ..Hello! Its been a while!My ComLuv Profile

32 Kate October 11, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Oh my goodness…I laughed when I read the title of this post, and continued to chuckle as I read through what followed. Do you believe that I moved boxes of magazines into our new house last summer? Ridiculous! I finally got rid of them last spring, and now I tear out inspiring pages or articles and toss the magazine directly in the recycling bin. Magazines are lucky to sit around my house for an entire week anymore. I love it! So liberating…ha!

33 Kim October 11, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Can I suggest to you not to throw them out but to send them to the military overseas. Our church collected old magazines so I don’t have the address to where to send them but I know it is done.

34 Kim @ Cheap Chic Home October 11, 2010 at 7:17 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve ripped out selections that I liked and ended up with big chunks of magazines that were hard to organize. I think the best bet is to make folders for one specific idea, i.e., window treatments, light fixtures…
Kim @ Cheap Chic Home´s last blog ..Bundle Bouquet VaseMy ComLuv Profile

35 Yvonne @ StoneGable October 11, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I am sitting at my computer with an ice pack on the back of my head. This is to decrease the swelling from a huge nest egg I recieved from fainting when I saw that you were going to throw away a magazine!!!!!!
I must be the biggest magazine fan in the world. ( And I agree, Cooks Illustrated is the best! So is Fine Cooking!) There are some I cut up and I have a drawer full of files with magazine clippings. Some I save in decorated magazine boxes (cooks illustrated for example) and some I put in a magazine swap at my bible study. I have to keep away from that table… Is there such a thing as Magazine’s Anonymous?

I know how they can get out of hand fast. I just used my desk ruler to measure a 7 INCH stack sitting right next to me on my desk. (The Wm-Sonoma Thanksgiving catalogue is screaming my name!!!!) But they are constant sourse of creativity.

Getting rid of clutter feels wonderful. And I think you are very smart and brave. Now you can start over and cut up your magazines as you go along.

Thanks for the tip about storing them digitally. I’m off to check that out.
Blessings and (sniff) magazine condolences!
Yvonne

36 Lori F. October 11, 2010 at 7:25 pm

You are so right about Cooks Illustrated. It is the only magazine I actually look at more than once or twice. I have them stashed on my cookbook shelves and I am always going through the stacks to find my favorite recipes. The recent issue with the waffle recipe was the long sought after solution to my waffle dilemma.

37 Elisabeth October 11, 2010 at 8:11 pm

A few years ago when I moved I threw away all of my Country Home, Country Living, and most of my Victoria magazines. I saved a few Mary Engelbreit and some MS Livings, including some from the first year that magazine was published. I so, so, so regret throwing away my Country Home magazines, and CL too although not as much as the CH. I did find one that was saved and I loved looking at it as much as when I first got it. I wish I had saved them all. So much so, that I just bought a few big lots of them on ebay! How silly is that?! I’ll never throw away a magazine I love again. Don’t get me wrong, I get BH&G too and I just tear out what I like, and do that with some others.
So, FYI, instead of recycling them I bet you could sell them on ebay and make some cash. I’m sure there are some crazy people like me who regret throwing their fave mags away that would buy them from you!! Although, I do also understand how good it feels to purge stuff and have cleanliness and order as well :)
Elisabeth
Elisabeth´s last blog ..Monogrammed PillowMy ComLuv Profile

38 Amber October 11, 2010 at 8:33 pm

I pull out recipes, inspiration pictures, etc. from my magazines and put them into a binder of ideas so I can recycle them and they don’t pile up. Since it isn’t always convenient to cut out an article or photo when I’m actually reading the magazine (like when I’m traveling or taking a bath), I found a trick that works great. I just dog-ear the page of the idea I want to save. When I finish reading the magazine, I can quickly see which pages I want to rip out and save in my files, without having to flip back through the entire magazine before tossing it into the recycle bin.

39 Crystal October 11, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Due to my EXACT problem as you magazine hoarder (there are many of us in the secret out there!). I finally bit the bullet and went to Wal-Mart bought a 3 in. ring binger, clear insert pages, a pack of white construction paper, pack of tabs (to sort by rooms i.e. Bedroom, Outdoors, Bathrooms etc.) Then I went for it!…I started flipping rapidly through ALL my home decor magazines and cut out only the pics that I absolutely LOVED (kept only the “collector” issues i.e. Martha Stewart’s September decorating issues, etc.) I used a glue stick to paste each pic in collage style on the white sheet and once one side was full, I’d use the other side and fill it up with pics then insert it in the clear cover for protection. I got rid of almost 80 magazines but knew I wasn’t gonna miss them a bit…afterall, I saved all my favorite images. I gained a clutter free home and filled my truck to the rim in magazines, drove to the nearest school and dumped them all in the recycle dumpster. It felt SO GOOOOD!!!….I will never let my magazine hoarding get out of hand again..once I read all the new magazines I get each month I will cut out my fave pics, put them in my binder and move them out of my home. My magazine holder project cost me a total of $8 but it’s really priceless.

40 Ruth Ann October 11, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I am a magazine junkie! And I think I just had a mini stroke! I live close, I could have saved them from the garbage! lol
Ruth Ann´s last blog ..Movie Monday- My Dog- An UnconditionalMy ComLuv Profile

41 traci October 11, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Kimba,
I have the same problem. I love keeping old magazines. This past year, I bought a art drawing book and labeled it with tabs like “kitchen” “den” etc, and I tore my favorite pictures out of the magazines and taped them in the appropriate sections. I love my little “idea” book now. And I was able to throw away so many magazines. So freeing!
One week til Relevant! :)

42 JenT October 11, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I’m reading this with a storage tub full.to.the.brim. of old magazines behind me right now. My husband keeps asking me to get rid of them because the tub weighs about 500 pounds. I might need to look in the mirror…*sigh*

43 Jennifer October 11, 2010 at 9:37 pm

Being a magazine lover myself, I know that must have been hard to do. I was going to donate our extras to my Dr’s office, but I kept wanting to look through them one more time and somebody else beat me to the punch. His office is jam packed w/mags now. Oh well.
Jennifer´s last blog ..Monday Morning ReviewMy ComLuv Profile

44 Tys October 11, 2010 at 9:45 pm

Eeekk… I think I heard my heartbreaking! All those magazines! I don’t have many magazines myself, because for the exact reason that I cannot part with them. I only allow myself 1 subscription a year and I try to only keep the recent catalogs (it hurts).

Not sure if anyone else suggested it, but as an even better recyeable solution (and it’s a gift that gives) I’ve heard that local womens shelters would LOVE to have magazines!

45 Mary @ Life on 19th October 11, 2010 at 9:58 pm

I hate to throw out my magazines too. But every once in a while, I do go through and purge them. I often take them to work also so my patient’s can read them while they wait.
My system for organizing them is blogged here:
Mary @ Life on 19th´s last blog ..Ruffle Camera StrapMy ComLuv Profile

46 Fiona's Mosaic October 11, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I too am a magazine junkie. So I stopped subscribing. I only get one now, and it’s a gift from my mother in law. “Victoria” magazine is my FAVE. All the others I am going through when I relax in the evening. I am usually pulling one or two pictures per magazine and putting them in a folder. Then I pass the magazines on to a young mom who can’t afford them but will enjoy them.

So I guess I am slowly recycling them. It’s not as quick as how you did it (I think I would have gotten the shakes and thrown up! LOL) but it will still get the job done.

I commend you for your fortitude!!! You go girl!
God bless, Fi
Fiona’s Mosaic´s last blog ..Changing My Mind About FallMy ComLuv Profile

47 kelly October 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm

i work at an elementary school and people donate their just read magazines and put them where the teachers sign in for anyone to take, i love it, i wouldn’t want a people magazine from 6 months ago but the ones on the shelf that someone is done with is great!! i have had the same issues with magazines though, i just rip out the things i like and let the rest go!!

48 Carmie of the Single Nester October 12, 2010 at 11:28 am

Girl – I feel your pain. I just got rid of 6 years worth of Real Simple. I ripped out what I wanted to keep and recycled the rest. Life is too short to hold on to old magazines.

49 Stephanie@Geezees October 12, 2010 at 11:34 am

I feel the same way with clutter in my house, i don’t collect magazines, but it’s so freeing to just get rid of stuff and let go!
Stephanie@Geezees´s last blog ..Ladies send your man this linklet him you know you want one My ComLuv Profile

50 Anita October 12, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I cut them out and put them in folders as I go- living room, library, etc. Then when I decide to redo a room, ( or dream about it) I pull out that folder and lay the pictures out and try to see what they have in common…that determines what I do. That said, I usually do the cutting out when I have about 25 magazines accumulated AND I am home sick or it’s raining….

51 Logan October 12, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I’m a big fan of Cooks Illustrated too! I especially like the back cover. I’ve always said that one day, I will take all of my favorite back covers and frame them individually and have a big collection of food art.

52 Kim October 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm

I am sooooooo glad I am not the only magazine addict…. :o )
Kim´s last blog ..ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZMy ComLuv Profile

53 Karol October 12, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I can totally relate because I too am a magazine junky. When I am through with my magazines I either donate them to my local Humane Society Thrift store so they can sell them and make money for the animals care or I donate them to the local hospital. You might want to consider this instead of just throwing them away. It is a great way to help others and it makes you feel good about your addiction too.

54 Cari October 12, 2010 at 9:30 pm

Hospitals take magazines for patients to read. Or maybe even a retirement center.

55 shirley October 12, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Magazine junkies unite! lol I see there are many of us out there. I am horrible about keeping mags. I get tired of clutter around my home so I move them into my craft room. But I would actually like to be to walk in my craft room so I have been cleaning out. I take mine to the local library where others are able to look at them or the school & daycares take them for craft projects. Hospitals are great too.
Congrats on taking the plunge. I bet it feels great! :)

56 lise October 12, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Donate them to the elementary school. As a teacher, I was always in need of old magazines and catalogs. Nice purge. I need to work on that as well!

57 Karen October 13, 2010 at 11:45 am

Another idea is to take them to the nursing homes. The patients AND the staff love to look at them! I do this with mine every 6 months or so. Some doctor and dentist offices will also take them. You can just tear off or use a black wide tip sharpie to mark out your name and address on them. – Karen
Karen´s last blog ..More Silhouette Giveaways!My ComLuv Profile

58 Sandi October 13, 2010 at 5:58 pm

OMG! I’m not the only one! My husband gets so irritated w/my magazines. I’m feeling the need for a purge! My stacks are getting higher….it’s time….

59 Heathahlee October 14, 2010 at 10:56 pm

I am a magazine junkie, too. I had saved ALL my Southern Living magazines to go through (when do I have time to go through them again? I hardly have time to go through them once!), only to have my husband throw an entire box of them out a few years ago. I was SO mad at him! How silly! (even though SL is my most expensive splurge!)

I realized how clutter-inducing my magazine habit is recently when we were moving the guest room stuff around to accommodate Momma’s hospital bed (she recently went HOME to Jesus…she doesn’t need a hospital bed anymore!). I found a huge basketful of magazines I had completely forgotten about. Yep, they’re headed for the recycle bin. Ahhh…. : )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..I Still Love FallMy ComLuv Profile

60 Shelley Rubalcava October 15, 2010 at 12:32 am

Part of my job is assisting people de-clutter their homes or offices. Clutter sneaks into your home, office and life before you know it clutter is your best friend. I ask my clients…how can you accept more good from life when you have all this stuff weighing you down? Give so you can receive
There is always more good to come in our lives:)

61 Laura October 15, 2010 at 11:08 am

I love magazines too and it’s amazing how quickly they multiply for sure. You did good girl! I bet your house feels so much lighter now. I love that feeling and am slightly addicted to it LOL.

Thanks for the link love :)

62 beth October 16, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Kimba,

Relieve yourself of the obligation to clip or save articles any other way. That’s just another form of clutter…time that could be spent creating or doing something. Enjoy the magazines and soaking in the photos and be inspired then pass the mags on to your library.

Beth
beth´s last blog ..An Update on the other BethMy ComLuv Profile

63 Vicki Archer October 17, 2010 at 12:10 pm

Bravo to you…..I can’t bring myself to throw my magazines out yet. I have them everywhere….and when I think I will, I just move them from one place to another! Brave act….xv

64 christen October 17, 2010 at 11:04 pm
65 Cheryl B. October 19, 2010 at 11:47 am

Mornin Kimba :-)
I to had stacks of magazines ….. here is what I did with mine ;-) http://thebzhousethatlovebuilt.blogspot.com/2010/03/what-do-you-like.html
Cheryl B.´s last blog ..now off of the list v-My ComLuv Profile

66 RJ October 19, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Wow, good for you! I used to be a magazine junkie but finally decided to limit myself to only 2 subscriptions and to only keep 2 years worth of said subscriptions {special Christmas issues excluded!}. Makes it so much easier to keep them under control! I also use thin post-its to keep tabs of projects or decor ideas I liked and go back through those tabs before recycling to see if they’re still worth keeping {also used to try keeping just the pages, but my file got so chaotic and full, yikes!}
RJ´s last blog ..Apple-Cranberry MuffinsMy ComLuv Profile

67 An Authentic Life October 19, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Oh my, I have met a soul sister. I too, crave magazines and hoard them, and touch them, and flip through them, then when I am not looking, Sexy Hubby discards my precious piles! It’s ok. I just go get more!

Love your site.

KT

68 Adena October 26, 2010 at 11:22 am

I sometimes clip magazine articles and file them. I have four categories: recipes, crafts, interior decorating, articles. But sometimes the magazines back up and I have to close my eyes and just throw them away because I know that I realistically do not have time to sit and go thru them. However, now most magazines are online, and besides their sites, there are at least a million others that have every idea that I have clipped anyway. And saving sites/articles digitally does not take up space…at least not in my house.
Adena´s last blog ..Meet Me on MondayMy ComLuv Profile

69 Heidi October 26, 2010 at 6:31 pm

I read my magazines as quick as I can and sell them at a bookstore and give the money to charity. I get probably 10.00 a month. Luckily the book store is very easy to get to and on the way to many of my errands – plus it makes me think – do I really need to save that article? Because I find myself cutting out way too many things I think I want to save, Which is also more clutter.

70 Emily October 27, 2010 at 7:26 am

I feel your pain – I looove magazines, but I have no time to read, savor & reread them! My new solution is similar to yours: When I find an article I like, I rip it out and add it to the “to be scanned” pile (along with my son’s numerous papers from school). After scanning, I store them in a specific file on our computer, so I always know where they are. Then I Freecycle the magazines so other folks can enjoy them.
Emily´s last blog ..Meal Planning October 24My ComLuv Profile

71 Ammie @ domesticallyobsessed.com October 27, 2010 at 8:33 am

Good for you. While I’m sure you must have been a bit sad, you must also feel really relieved and clutter free. I hate coming home and seeing all my magazines and library books piled up. I try to make sure to zip through the mags the second I get them so I can tear out the sheets I want to keep, but I have been known to let them sit for a while. Great post. Thanks for the honesty.

72 Jamillah October 27, 2010 at 12:44 pm

I normally do my article cut right when I am reading my magazine. That way I can go ahead and put them in my recycling bin.

73 Judy October 27, 2010 at 6:15 pm

That looks like my house! I love magazines and recently I started just tearing out all the pages that inspire me and then tossing the rest. I saw the link where you make folders for all your cut out pages and thought that was a great idea. I definitely will be using that idea!

74 AmyK October 27, 2010 at 6:34 pm

I swear that publishers put some sort of pack rat catnip in the pages of their magaines. Not only did I recognize myself in this post — to a tee — but the titles listed are nearly IDENTICAL to what I get and have trouble throwing out.

Two things have helped me purge: (1) The fact that nearly all magazines are available online now, and (2) that the teachers and staff at my kids’ elementary school really love to flip through the magazines at lunchtime when I drop them off.

I also remind myself that NO ONE appreciates my clutter when it’s sitting in my house, but someone might if I pay if forward. My butt’s not getting any smaller by itself, so those size 10 jeans may as well keep someone else’s butt warm in the meantime. Everyone in my family knows I love magazines and gifts me subscriptions all the time, so why not gift someone else when I’ve finished reading them?

75 PH October 27, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Magazines are my way to decompress. I love all of them – fashion, home, cooking. I rip out pages of stuff to buy, research, or ideas for how to dress or decorate my home. It was a lot of paper. Then I decided to organize the recipes, try them, keep only the ones I love. I now slip the recipes into plastic sleeves and put in a ring binder. I have binders for different categories like breakfast, appetizers, entrees, etc. I can rip out entire pages from a magazine or newspaper or clip a recipe from a page that has multiple recipes. I then use double-sided tape to tape the recipe to a sheet of plain printer paper. I like photos of recipes because I am usually first taken by the look of the dish, so I tape the photo and recipe and slip them into the plastic sleeve. Then if I try the recipe and don’t like it, I throw it out and keep the plastic sleeve to use again. This has turned out to be great in the kitchen. If I spill something on the page, I can wipe it off. I take these with me to the grocery store when I’m short on time and can’t make a list. I jot down changes (“add capers”) and notes (“great for a potluck and easy”) on stickies and place on the recipe. It’s like my own cookbook. Because I have a few binders organized by categories, I can quickly find a vegetable dish if I need it. I can scan the recipes and fine one that works for the event and amount of time I have. The 8.5 X 11 plastic sleeves are inexpensive and I pick up sale binders at Staples and Target when I need. If you don’t want the expense of the plastic sleeves, you can simply three-hole punch printer paper and tape down magazine photos and articles on the pages. Using a binder allows you to move pages around and create as many categories as you like. I like this so much I now use this to keep fashion magazine articles and photos and have binders for clothing, accessories, etc. I look at it when I need ideas for how to dress for a special event or trip or when I want to put outfits together differently because I’m tired of my “look” — I get ideas and then “shop” my own closet. I’ve used this and avoided buying a new outfit for a special event. It has also helped me shop more efficiently. I can scan a category and doublecheck what I already have and then shop only for the need. I now also have home decorating binder and I’m collecting ideas for how to redecorate my living room and pulling it all together and seeing what I have is helping me narrow down my likes and decide on style and color. And I’m thinking about how I would “live” with a particular style/look/color scheme I find in a magazine, i.e., would it work for me long term. In essence, I’ve created my own magazine or “look books” of my all-time favorites. If I find something I don’t like when I’m looking at a binder, I can take it out of the binder or plastic sleeve and just toss it.

76 screwdestiny October 28, 2010 at 10:34 pm

Yeah yeah! I don’t get hoarding and love seeing when people throw out all the stuff that’s just taking up space. So good for you!
screwdestiny´s last blog ..Total Health- New Workouts- and CalvesMy ComLuv Profile

77 DogsMom October 31, 2010 at 9:59 am

Some day when I am awake middle of the night (only possible time no one else is clamboring for attention) I am going to come back here and read all the comments and follow some of the links.
Yesterday I was fortunate to get a FREE 4 drawer file cabinet.
I am hoping that being able to file away magazines and craft folders according to main topic will eventually allow me to find a project when I want to return to it. And if not, at least they will be out of sight and not on every available surface.
I am sure letting many of them go is sensible and freeing and even a growth opportunity…I am just not at that place yet.
There are so many other things I am willing to let go first.

I applaud your growth and sensibility.

78 Alicia ~ Time Worn Style November 1, 2010 at 1:29 am

good on you! I did much the same a month or so back but I actually did go through and tear out some favourite pictures first. Mind you I havent finished as yet but I made a very good start. Thanks for reminding me, I had better get back to it!
alicia