You Convinced Me!

by Kimba on September 9, 2010

in Real Me,Sanctuary at Home

A couple of days ago, I lamented the excess “stuff” we have in our house. It’s making me crazy and I was toying with the idea of having a garage sale to get rid of some stuff.

But I had all sorts of reasons why I couldn’t do it…It’s September (not exactly prime yard sale season in PA). No one will come. I can’t get ready in time. It might be windy (rainy, snowy or too sunny).

Most of my “stuff” was bought for a steal (cause I’m a killer thrifter, y’all), so it all feels like some sort of retail victory. I can’t sell all my prizes!

But the real reason I feel compelled to hold onto my stuff…Even when it’s making me crazy…is that I find myself thinking about all the “what ifs”. What if I find a space for that stuff? What if we move? What if I rearrange and want to use different stuff? What if someone else can use my stuff? What if a herd of marauding zombies rampages through my house and breaks all the upstairs stuff and I need to fill in with the basement stuff?

All valid points, I suppose (except the zombies, of couse). But in exchange for all this excess stuff, I’m giving up my time, peace, contentment, space and money. I’m not being a good steward of what I have and I’m filling my (somewhat limited) brain space with too much unimportant “stuff”. It’s not worth it.

A tiny bit of the “stuff” I’ll be selling.

The Nester is writing about “stuff” this week too. There must be something in the air…or ON the air. Have you all watched Hoarders on A&E yet. GAH!

One quote from Nester’s post brought it all into focus for me. She said…

If I’m so great a finding a deal, I’ll find it again later, right?

DUH! Right? I don’t need to exercise my thrifting prowess in anticipation of some need (or want). I can wait until that need happens and THEN look for a bit of stuff.

So now I’m loading up the garage with my stuff and I’ll be trying to sell if next Saturday (September 18th). If it doesn’t sell, its going into the van and straight to Goodwill. I’m breathing easier already.

Attn locals!!! If you’re in SW Pennsylvania and feel like checking out my sale, friend me on facebook or email me or something so I can see you’re a real person and not a marauding zombie. If you can do that, I’ll give you my address and you can come get some of my stuff.

1 Stonefox September 9, 2010 at 11:09 am

Oh, too bad I’m MILES away! I really love that Welcome sign :)

2 Tiffany September 9, 2010 at 11:26 am

Too bad i’m MILES away as well…I want that birdcage, those lanterns next to it, & those wood baskets!!

fashionintheforest.blogspot.com

3 Mandy Ford September 9, 2010 at 11:33 am

I’m in the same boat and having our first ever yard sale this Saturday. It is a lot of work but it will feel great to get rid of (hopefully) most of the clutter! Good luck with yours!

4 Christina September 9, 2010 at 11:33 am

I see alot I would buy. So if you have no luck you could just have a blog sale. I am sure you could get stuff gone that way also
Christina´s last blog ..Kids First Day Back To SchoolMy ComLuv Profile

5 vicky September 9, 2010 at 11:49 am

I think you should list the nicer stuff here on your blog…someone else did that a few weeks ago and stuff flew out. YOu could include shipping in the price and have people pay thru Paypal. I would buy lots of stuff I see in your pics!

6 Fiona's Mosaic September 9, 2010 at 12:10 pm

There must be something in the air because everywhere I turn, and everyone I have talked to is purging and cleaning, myself included.

Why does fall make us feel that way?? My mom didn’t clean like crazy in the fall. But spring, fall and New Years make me feel that way.
Fiona’s Mosaic´s last blog ..Sweetest Thing Cupcakes!My ComLuv Profile

7 The Nester September 9, 2010 at 12:16 pm

Oh, that’s a cute bird canvas thing!….

wait, nevermind.

8 Kim @ Cheap Chic Home September 9, 2010 at 12:36 pm

After I saw Hoarders (Gah! is right), the folks’ houses on Clean House didn’t look so bad. Good luck !
Kim @ Cheap Chic Home´s last blog ..Fabric Fun Thursday No 14My ComLuv Profile

9 Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam September 9, 2010 at 12:48 pm

My “stuff -itic- post is still in my drafts and now I want more stuff cuz I love those lanterns and canvas, that I’d repaint in three years and …..
oh shoot…just sell it. (even if I don’t find it….)
Jen@Balancing Beauty and Bedlam´s last blog ..The Weight Loss Roller CoasterMy ComLuv Profile

10 Karen September 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Wishing I still lived in the area! Hey it is only 4 hours from Metro Detroit:)

Used to live behind Ross Park Mall, 1993!

11 Karen September 9, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Oh my gosh, I spent my whole vacation looking for lanterns like those and you are selling some! Bummer!

12 I Wilkerson September 9, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Decluttering your life is a great goal and if a garage sale is too much work, there is always freecycle–kind of like a free Craigslist. I wrote about this on my blog recently: http://artofnaturalliving.com/2010/07/26/monday-green-tip-reduce-reuse-freecycle/ (not sure if you take links…). We got Guinea Pigs by freecycling and my sister got rid of a hamster!

13 Elizabeth September 9, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Wish I didn’t live several states away. I want the bird print and yellow table and the basket thingy.

14 jackie September 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

You are right there must be something in the air. I posted about the same thing before saw any of the other posts, and I have been cleaning out like crazy. I no longer want to use my bedroom closet for nick-nack storage. The only thing that will go back in the closet are the clothes that I will be wearing. Nester is right, there are always thrifting bargains out there, and my time and energy is getting sapped with all of the stuff.
jackie´s last blog ..How did it get to THIS!My ComLuv Profile

15 antiquechase September 9, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Oh, you are speaking to me right?? I need to so this.. I have a “prop” closet full of stuff I just don’t use… and the garage…oy… I really like your facebook friend idea… I think I may “borrow” that!!! BTW, I went to the flea market yesterday, yes yesterday and I already put something I got in the garage for a yard sale… I hate that!
antiquechase´s last blog ..Flea Market Wednesday My ComLuv Profile

16 Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish September 9, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Whoohoo! I would love to get those lanterns you have there but we are having to do a sale too! Oh well – no more new stuff for awhile! At least not until I get this sale done at the end of this month!
Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Fall is CozyMy ComLuv Profile

17 Bailey September 9, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I am doing the exact same thing, and will be having a garage sale the same weekend. Right now I’m going through all the nooks and crannies in my home and my garage is filling up, and my house seems more of a mess right now. But I know once I’m organized and my “stuff” is out of the house I can breathe easier and start to decorate for fall!!!! Good luck.
Bailey´s last blog ..ToadspoolsMy ComLuv Profile

18 Tracey September 9, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Way to get motivated and declutter! Your man is going to be so happy, and so will you :)

I’m so glad your sale isn’t the same weekend as Relevant, or I would probably try to buy up all your good junk.
Tracey´s last blog ..Candy Corn WreathMy ComLuv Profile

19 Kimba September 10, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Maybe I’ll bring all the leftover stuff to Relevant. :) I can just open the back of the van and say “Help yourself!”

HA!

20 Tracey September 10, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Now that would be some good swag!
Tracey´s last blog ..Candy Corn WreathMy ComLuv Profile

21 Champe September 9, 2010 at 3:28 pm

My Design Guide rule of thumb: Less is More:) You wont believe this, but I own several of those same items you are selling….

22 Kimba September 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Now THAT makes me feel good! Because you’ve got good taste.

23 Maya @ Completely Coastal September 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I can’t watch Hoarders…, too disturbing. I pretty much go “by less stuff = more space”…, and I love space, haha.
Maya @ Completely Coastal´s last blog ..Starfish Decor -Hang them with Twine!My ComLuv Profile

24 Handy Man, Crafty Woman September 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Marauding zombie, lol! My friends and I call people we know from the internet “axe murderers.” :-D

25 Heathahlee September 9, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I’m with Tracey…only I’d have to bring it back on the plane. We need to do a yard sale here, too (our garage is now our office thanks to previous owners), so I guess I’m glad I don’t live close. Well, that and the fact that I can’t stand to be cold 6 months of the year. : )

September is PRIME yard sale time here in the South. The weather has cooled off to just 90 instead of 100, and people hit the streets I really do need to start decluttering.
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Funky CrowMy ComLuv Profile

26 Southern Fried Gal September 9, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I think it is in the air! I’ve been going through this house like a mad woman. Keep some, toss some, donate some, and consign the rest.

I am brutal about clean-outs. I grew up in a home with a true-to-life hoarding mom. It has been a fear my whole life almost to an obsession.

It’s all about balance – no matter which side we tend toward.

27 Katie September 9, 2010 at 9:46 pm

I WISH I was near you! I bet your garage sale is full of fab finds☺

28 Kelly September 9, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Bummer! You’re in SW and I’m in NE PA. And I have a wedding that day. Oh, well. Good luck.
Kelly´s last blog ..In my Cookie JarMy ComLuv Profile

29 Roeshel September 9, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Well…I’m tempted to head a little further south (I’m just north of you). Except that I need to be inspired by you instead of BUY FROM YOU because my basement is packed full just waiting for a sale. Good luck!
Roeshel´s last blog ..DIY Fall Festival and Easy DIY Fabric WreathMy ComLuv Profile

30 Kimba September 10, 2010 at 4:04 pm

HA! I hear ya!

I was so tempted to stop at a sale today and then I thought “NO! Don’t do it!”

31 jen @ {decor junkie} September 9, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Ah! So close, yet so far away! We JUST moved (as in last week!) to PA for a couple weeks for my husband’s job. But we live in Philadelphia, darnit! Hope your yardsale goes well! I sure wish I could come check out your “stuff”!

32 Kimba September 10, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Welcome to Pennsylvania! I hope you end up loving Philly!

33 Lesley @ The Design File September 10, 2010 at 9:02 am

Looks like you’ve got some great stuff in there. Good luck! I’m sure you’ll be successful.
Lesley @ The Design File´s last blog ..Home Tour- Modern styled house is part of this weekends Herron-Morton Place eventMy ComLuv Profile

34 Viviane September 10, 2010 at 3:19 pm

curious, where did you get the price stickers?

35 Kimba September 10, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I got the stickers at the dollar store. Love them!

36 Nony @ A Slob Comes Clean September 11, 2010 at 10:42 am

I understand all-too-well the “what-ifs” that fill your mind when you start thinking about letting go. My problem is that the the beauty of all the individual pieces gets lost in the vastness of stuff. I buy things because they’re pretty, but I don’t have the ability to control the clutter-creep, and so they don’t live up to their potential in my home. The more I get rid of, the more I appreciate the things I keep.
Nony @ A Slob Comes Clean´s last blog ..Cooking Ahead Meals From Scratch in Minutes And My Chicken Fried Rice Recipe w-PicsMy ComLuv Profile

37 Janet September 11, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I feel like the opposite of everyone. I do have a bunch I could purge, but almost all our walls were bare before a few months ago. So my husband and I have been hitting garage sales for the past few weekends. I wish I lived closer. I see so much I would buy in your picture.

38 Jeanne September 11, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Hello Kimba, wishing you great success with your garage sale. it is a ton of hard work.
Hugs, Jeanne
Jeanne´s last blog ..PINK SATURDAY – IN MEMORY OF 911 – LUCKY- LUCKY MEMy ComLuv Profile

39 aubrey September 12, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Oh my looks like you have some wonderful goodies to sell! Hope you are having a super duper weekend! :D

40 Kellie Dobbie September 12, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I love to have those baskets! Wait a minute, I can’t have it, I’m too far away. Yes, I do believe a blog sale would be more appropriate.

41 Emily @ Finding My Aloha September 13, 2010 at 3:57 am

Good for you! I did the same thing a couple weeks ago. I finally got up the motivation and threw it all together in 3 days! Whew! It was a success and I made close to $1000! I am like you and got everything for a steal so I made good money because everyone else thought they were getting a steal too!

42 Lallee September 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I agree, I think something is in the air. I took a huge load to the charity store last week before I saw yours and the Nester’s posts. I was already planning to do this and then watched the marathon of hoarders shows. I added more to my give away pile after that! I have felt carefree all week, and keep smiling as I make up stories of who may have found my treasures. I have been watching my sister approach almost hording conditions and it breaks my heart. I see her trying to get comfort from her stuff. That is not where I want to get mine from! Thank you for all your wonderful posts.