For the Love of Sunflowers

by Kimba on September 2, 2010

in In the Garden

One of my favorite things about late summer (besides lightning bugs and cooler nights), is the blooming sunflower. A few months ago, I professed my undying love for my hydrangeas and showed you how to make a quick and beautiful arrangement.

But now, my beloved hydrangeas are past their prime. Which is just as well because my sunflowers are in full bloom and ready for lots of cutting!

Photo: Penn State Ag Department

I think lots of people mistakenly assume that all sunflowers are ginormous and require tons of space to grow. Giant sunflowers (like the Mammoth variety) are fun to grow, but they definitely belong outside (or in the back of a magenta pick-up truck). Unless, of course, you have vases made of lead and huge rooms that can handle their comically large proportions.

There are lots of smaller sunflower varieties that are fantastic for cutting and making quick bouquets. You don’t need acres of land to grow them and you can get lots of flowers from one plant. Some varieties to look for are:

Autumn Beauty
Italian White
Lemon Queen
Red Sun
Teddy Bear (that the one in my pictures)

But don’t limit yourself to this list. Look at the seeds available in your store and find multi-branched varieties with smaller blooms. The multi-branched varieties will get you more flowers on each plant.

We usually plant our seeds a few weeks before Mother’s Day so we can use them as gifts and so they get a head start on the growing season.

That bouquet in the mason jar is going to a neighbor to say “Thanks for letting us crash in on your new swimming pool!”

What’s blooming in your garden now?

1 Jamie M. September 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

I LOVE sunflowers. I think I will add them to my list for spring planting. Thanks for the inspiration!!

2 Van September 2, 2010 at 10:40 am

Sunflowers are a favorite, a bouquet of these beauties brightens up the day, brightens up any room. Yep…I think I need to plant an ample amount of these at the community garden this weekend and reap a harvest before the first frost :)
Van´s last blog ..Inspirational Thrifted Art For Your HomeMy ComLuv Profile

3 Frankie September 2, 2010 at 10:45 am

How fun to see your post this morning . . . I’d just come in from cutting sunflowers and making 2 arrangements for my living room! Sunflowers are so happy and they always make me smile. :)

4 GolfGal September 2, 2010 at 11:22 am

sadly, nothing is growing very well around Hotlanta. Too hot and too dry for too long, it’s been a rough summer for humans and plant-life alike!

5 Michelle F September 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

My roses bloomed only once this year so I only have lavender to clip. I love sunflowers and am determined to plant them next year. Cheers.

6 Kasey September 2, 2010 at 11:59 am

Yes, I loved sunflowers so much, I had my senior pictures taken with a bouquet of them!

7 Richella at Imparting Grace September 2, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Ah, I wish I had planted sunflowers! There’s nothing to cut right now, and sunflowers would be perfect. You need to re-run this post in the spring and remind us all!
Richella at Imparting Grace´s last blog ..Mod Podge challengeMy ComLuv Profile

8 Heathahlee September 2, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I used to love taking sunflowers and using them in my Pampered Chef demos. When they came out with some white serving pieces, I’d take a bloom and float it in a small white bowl with water. So simple, but so pretty!

And you know where I got the sunflower? From the seeds that had sprouted underneath the birdfeeder! : )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..Sloppy JoesMy ComLuv Profile

9 Kimba September 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm

HA! Love that!
Kimba´s last blog ..For the Love of SunflowersMy ComLuv Profile

10 Catherine September 2, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I’ve been planting a variety of sunflowers in our garden for several years. I especially like the ones that are red, orange or have petals that have variegated petals of red, orange and yellow. Gorgeous for cutting.

11 Lynn from For Love or Funny September 2, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Kimba, I’m so happy to see you back on blog-land!!
Lynn from For Love or Funny´s last blog ..Wall decal giveaway!My ComLuv Profile

12 Kimba September 2, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Thanks Lynn! It was fun taking a break, but I definitely missed blogging.
Kimba´s last blog ..For the Love of SunflowersMy ComLuv Profile

13 Anna September 2, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Aww, I love sunflowers. I wish I had any sun to plant them in. I wanted a house with big trees for so long, and I finally got one… but now my entire yard is in shade! I love the idea of giving a bouquet in a mason jar as a neighbor gift, too.
Anna´s last blog ..Guest room wallMy ComLuv Profile

14 Marion September 2, 2010 at 5:05 pm

My daughter told me that in her yoga class at camp, the instructor tells the class to “Grow your inner sunflower!” She asked me what she thought that meant?

I took her for a walk to show her the sunflowers that were growing nearby, all tall and bright, their faces up to the sun. That’s what she means, let that feeling come from you!

Lovely post, thank you for this!
Marion´s last blog ..A Time of WonderMy ComLuv Profile

15 Sherri September 2, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Lantana is blooming and butterflies are everywhere. Snapped some shots of them recently for the blog. Sunflowers are my FAV flower. I missed photos of a huge field near me this year. :(

16 Yvonne @ StoneGable September 2, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Hello Kimba, my dear!!!! I am so happy to stop by this evening and visit. I love sunflowers too! Yesterday’s post was a tablescape full of sunflowers. They can put anyone in a happy mood!
I’ve got to do a better job of vistiing!
Yvonne

17 Lesley @ The Design File' September 3, 2010 at 8:19 am

my favorite thing about sunflowers is watching the birds go crazy as the blooms go to seed. It’s always a show!
Lesley @ The Design File’´s last blog ..Idea 3- Make no-sew cafe curtainsMy ComLuv Profile

18 Cassie September 4, 2010 at 8:05 am

I also love planting sunflowers because, if there are any that don’t make it into a vase, their withered stalks look nice-n-spooky for Halloween.

19 katie kirby September 4, 2010 at 10:08 am

Sunflowers are my favourite. They look so vibrant in your images.