Summer Container Herb Garden

by Kimba on June 30, 2010

in In the Garden,Seasonal Projects

I’m spending lots of time with my hands in the dirt this summer. Trees, shrubs, perennials and a small garden. Since that wasn’t enough, a few weeks ago, I decided it was high time for a summer herb garden. I planted all the herbs in pots so that I can bring some of them indoors and continue to enjoy them come winter.

I love the hodge-podge of mismatched pots. I wish I could say it was deliberate, but I was simply using what I had. It’s pure serendipity that it looks so pretty sitting on my back porch.

I love mint in my iced tea. Did you know mint comes in a huge number of varieties? In addition to the Kentucky Colonel mint that I bought, my nursery carries orange mint, chocolate mint, pineapple mint, lavender mint and apple mint. A little note…Mint is HIGHLY invasive. Don’t plant it in a flower bed unless you’re ok with it taking over. You’ll have mint out the you-know-what.

Rosemary that I’ll take big snips from when I make Pioneer Woman’s Pot Roast. YUM!

Chives in my chalkboard flower pot.

These adorable chalkboard pots are now available in my OpenSky shop! There’s a Single 3″ Pot and a Trio of 3″ or 4″ Pots! I love mine. Within minutes of opening the box, my boys were decorating it with the chalk it came with. I had to steal it back for my chives.

There’s cilantro that I must have for my Gazpacho Dip. (Originally from Pampered Chef, but it’s no longer on their website.) It’s my go-to summer appetizer. I usually skip the pitas and serve it with tortilla chips. Delish!

And dill that I’m going to use to make Dilly Beans later this summer. They’re pickled green beans and they’re curl-your-toes good.

Check out my OpenSky shop for the new Chalkboard Pots! I can think of all sorts of things to grow in them.

1 Katie@Yoga Gal June 30, 2010 at 9:22 am

Me too! I planted two double knock out rose bushes yesterday and love them so much that I am going to plant another today. My fingernails are totally mangy looking- what about yours?

And I hope that you are not having any Japanese beetle issues- they have infested the neighborhood and chewed my beautiful crepe myrtle before I could spray it- it happened overnight. Every time I look out my dining room window at my shrub, I want to cry!

2 Jo @ To a Pretty LIfe June 30, 2010 at 9:51 am

Your herb garden is lovely! I’m trying some herbs this year too, but mostly all in the same pot. They’re not doing so well, except the parsley. The oregano is half shriveled, the chives aren’t growing, and the chammomile looks all wilted. I think I’m going to move the chammomile to my new rock garden. I also have mint, planted in the ground under my lilac bushes. It was doing very well this year, until my husband thought it was weeds and weedwhacked it! At least its hardy.
Jo @ To a Pretty LIfe´s last blog ..Preschooler-made birthday invitations My ComLuv Profile

3 Gayle June 30, 2010 at 10:14 am

This post has inspired me to get going on a summer herb garden using random, mismatched pots. Thanks.
Gayle´s last blog ..Breaking Free Recap – Session Four My ComLuv Profile

4 Kristen@High Heels and a Hammer June 30, 2010 at 10:51 am

I love that you used pots you already had. My herbs are still in their pots from the nursery and looking a little sorry for it. I wasn’t sure what pots to use. Thanks for the motivation. Today they will be planted in mismatched pots I already have. :)

5 Van June 30, 2010 at 10:52 am

I love the fresh, fragrant bits of green that herbs provide in the garden. I need to get to work planting some seeds so I can enjoy fresh herbs in my cooking well into winter :)
Van´s last blog ..Craft Area Makeover My ComLuv Profile

6 Liza June 30, 2010 at 10:58 am

Home grown herbs are the best!!

7 Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage June 30, 2010 at 11:10 am

I love my container herb garden on the back porch!! I started it last year. It is one of my fave parts of summer!
Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage´s last blog ..Funkalicious Beauty Contest – pick YOUR fave- My ComLuv Profile

8 Southern Fried Gal June 30, 2010 at 11:41 am

I keep saying I’m going to start a herb garden but for some reason I never get around to it. Yours is beautiful! Those chalkboard pots are cute. They would be cute organizers, too! Oh and the mint comment cracked me up – and yet so true!!!
Southern Fried Gal´s last blog ..Willow House Wednesdays- Last Day- My ComLuv Profile

9 Cheryl Elsbree Interior Design June 30, 2010 at 1:31 pm

What an inspiring post. I have been considering an edible garden project for the summer. Thanks for sharing!
Cheryl Elsbree Interior Design´s last blog ..Interior Musings 1 My ComLuv Profile

10 Amanda @ Serenity Now June 30, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Neat chalkboard planter, Kimba! :) I had no idea there are so many variations of mint! Chocolate mint??! I am all over that. ;)

11 Phillips Phamily Mama June 30, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Yum! I love that you used the pots you already had! Makes me think I can do that…

12 Traci June 30, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Good for your. I have a brown thumb! ;-)

13 The Working Home Keeper June 30, 2010 at 3:25 pm

My poor mint plant is not doing well in our oppressive Carolina heat! I saved a few sprigs and leaves and froze them into ice cubes. Great to add into summer drinks!

Mary Ellen
The Working Home Keeper´s last blog ..Backyard Art Project – Part 2 My ComLuv Profile

14 Kelly G in ATX June 30, 2010 at 3:41 pm

We eat cilantro like it’s going out of style here in Texas, but with the heat, mine has died (twice now). [sigh] I’ll just have to admire yours and go buy it from my local foodstore!
Kelly G in ATX´s last blog ..Book Review- Cake Love My ComLuv Profile

15 Jenny June 30, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I can’t wait to try the dilly beans!! I am canning pickles as soon as my cukes are ready. Anything with dill is wonderful!!

Love your site!!!
Jenny´s last blog ..Baggo Fun My ComLuv Profile

16 Knitty Bitties (Andrea) July 1, 2010 at 12:21 am

I’m loving my herbs too! I have my mint (mint and spearmint) by the front door. My chives, cilantro, rosemary and basil (mmmm … basil, tomato and mozzarella sandwiches) are out back in both a planter (a gift from my SIL) and a small area off my patio.

Happy Day!
Knitty Bitties (Andrea)´s last blog ..Summer fun My ComLuv Profile

17 Richella July 1, 2010 at 8:35 am

Hi Kimba! Your herbs do look really pretty in that eclectic, obviously-carefully-designed collection of pots. :)

Oh, I love herbs. Basil is my hands-down favorite, and I’m giving it a go in pots this summer. Not sure yet if the potted method is going to be a success or not. I usually just plop a basil plant in the ground and let Mother Nature do the work, but this year Mother Nature has been a wicked witch–June should NEVER be as hot as this one has been!

Anyway, congratulations on all your gardening adventures. I LOVE your hydrangeas, by the way. Ours are just about all gone–makes me sad to see them go. Now I’ll just enjoy yours.
Richella´s last blog ..Stars and Stripes party My ComLuv Profile

18 Lesley @ TheDesignFile July 1, 2010 at 9:55 am

I like growing catnip, which is a kind of mint, in a pot. My cat goes outside and just rolls all over the entire plant and pot. I have to replant it a few times during the summer because she can’t help but destroy it.
Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Design Star- Nina says shes a leader- not a bully My ComLuv Profile

19 Terrell July 1, 2010 at 10:08 am

I love home grown herbs! They look wonderful!!

20 Jennifer July 1, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Your herbs look great! It is so convenient to grow them on your porch for summer use. Your mixture of pots just makes your “garden” look so charming!

21 New Every Morning July 1, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Oh I love fresh summer herbs!!!
I’ve never had much success with cilantro, even though it is one of my favorite herbs. At least I can get it super cheap in the veggie aisle.

Thanks for your inspiration with the canvas drop cloth. I slip covered my rocker with it and LOVE it!!!

22 Melanie Redd July 1, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Kimba,

Thanks for sharing your herb/plant ideas. We live in a small apartment right now, but I may could grow a few potted herbs on the back porch.

Melanie

23 Annette July 2, 2010 at 1:46 am

I love fresh herbs. Keep the mint on the porch,LOL. I put mine in a pot and sat it in the flower bed so the irrigation sprinkler would keep it watered…. big mistake. I am now having to pull mint from my flower bed.

I take it in stride. In the south we have to have our mint tea!
Annette

24 Anestazia @ Your Work Is To Discover Your World July 2, 2010 at 10:05 am

I just love herbs!! My favorite has got to be basil, because I just love pesto. :) I actually have that same blue pot that you’re growing your Rosemary in!!
Anestazia @ Your Work Is To Discover Your World´s last blog ..An Entire Entry Dedicated to Waxy Lip Balms My ComLuv Profile

25 Abbie July 2, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Yum! I did this too, a month or so ago and LOVE it! However, they didn’t do great when I was out of town for a week so I’m having to nurse them back to health so I can keep eating them! I love to just have a few leaves of cilantro and basil, or rosemary on whatever salad I’m eating!