I Bought Yet Another New Fern and Changed My Summer Hearth Because I’m a Lunatic

by Kimba on June 14, 2010

in decorating,In the Garden,Seasonal Projects

I also win the Most Pointlessly Long Post Title Award. Neener neener.

I summer-ized my fireplace hearth last week. I went the traditional fern-on-the-hearth route, but it wasn’t totally working for me. I think I like the Boston Ferns on the back porch instead of on the hearth.

When I saw this beautiful Kimberly Queen Fern at Wally-World for $9.00, I was sold. I love how it’s fronds are all sticky-uppy rather than hangy-downy like the Boston Fern.

And the planter basket adds a nice bit of texture. Yes. I know it looks like a waste basket but it really is a planter. Also from Wally-World. $4.00.

The wooden tray was a Marshalls find from a long time ago. I’ve used it everywhere in my house.

That is all. I promise. No more fern posts this summer. I’m fern-obsessed. Fern-addicted. A fern-aholic.

1 The Thrifty Designer June 14, 2010 at 11:35 am

Oooh, I love the new fern. Sticky-uppy is good! I also love the wastebasket, I mean, planter :) …it really looks nice. Great job!

2 the Blah Blah Blahger June 14, 2010 at 11:52 am

Yes, I like the stickuppiness of this one, too. AND it looks brighter to me. How cheerful and fun.

PS – love the post title. ; )

3 Karen June 14, 2010 at 12:02 pm

You had me at neener neener Kimba. As my 17 year old son said to me the other day, “you never really grow up do you Mom?” Thankfully, no!
Now I want to go get a fern for my fireplace! So much for staying home and doing laundry…

4 Pati @ A Crafty Escape June 14, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I love the tray!!!
Pati @ A Crafty Escape´s last blog ..More Pillowcase Dresses My ComLuv Profile

5 Amanda @ Serenity Now June 14, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I wonder if there’s a 12 step program for you. ;)

6 Vera June 14, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Well it’s all very beautiful & your blog title for today made me laugh! What a great way to continue on w/this hectic day of mine!

Thanks!

7 Jennifer Juniper June 14, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’m sending help – it’s clear now that it’s the right thing to do… :)
Jennifer Juniper´s last blog ..Keepsake Necklace – Tutorial My ComLuv Profile

8 Laree June 14, 2010 at 2:12 pm

well, sorry to take your title away from you, but my post yesterday has your title beat by a mile! Since it’s to my private family blog, I can’t link it, but here’s what it said: “A whole bunch of pictures ’cause I’m too tired to type, but want to give you a chance to look at our silly life.”

Then there’s a whole bunch of pictures. End of post.

So neener-neener back.

I do love the look of that fern. I might have to venture out to wally-world myself to pick one up!

9 Carrie @ Messie Confessions June 14, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Oh, I love this! I wanna do mine! I *could* fill my tray with seashells… that would be so pretty, wouldn’t it tho? (But my 19-month old would just think they were his new toys and carry them all over the house!)
Carrie @ Messie Confessions´s last blog ..Hallelujah Anyhow! My ComLuv Profile

10 Richella June 14, 2010 at 2:23 pm

You’re a lunatic, are you? Well, you don’t think we’d want to read the blog of a sane person, do you? How boring would that be?
Richella´s last blog ..I love Paris in the springtime. . . My ComLuv Profile

11 Stacey June 14, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Admitting it is the first step!

It really is lovely,
Stacey

12 Arlene Grasman June 14, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Lunatic? Wow, we finally have a name for your awesomeness!

13 Heidi - Heart and Home June 14, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Well, I think it looks fern-tastic. I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with my fireplaces this summer, ferns are out because of the cats and dog. But I do like how yours looks.
And just so you know, only lunatics allowed on my blogroll…!! :)
XO
Heidi
Heidi – Heart and Home´s last blog ..Wednesday Gratitude #17 at Heart and Home: Lemons and Another Step Forward My ComLuv Profile

14 Kim @ Cheap Chic Home June 14, 2010 at 3:05 pm

I like the addition of the tray :) . I’ve been thinking of putting some of those ferns in my planters. You may have pushed me over the edge.
Kim @ Cheap Chic Home´s last blog ..Table Top Moss Ball My ComLuv Profile

15 Angie Evenson June 14, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Mc Fern it!

16 Trish @TheOldPostRoad June 14, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I like Kimberly ferns, too. I always use them by my front door in large concrete urns. I use the boston ferns elsewhere on my front and back porches.
Trish @TheOldPostRoad´s last blog ..Pink and Turquoise My ComLuv Profile

17 Funky Junk Interiors June 14, 2010 at 4:22 pm

I am just loving the fresh greens that are coming out in homes now! Your fern is beautiful and adds that outdoor element we all strive for. The black glass is the PERFECT backdrop for it.

Fern away! I can handle more. :)

Donna
Funky Junk Interiors´s last blog .."Gitter Done!" – volume 1 My ComLuv Profile

18 shelly June 15, 2010 at 1:23 am

it is a really great fern!

19 Bonnie @ House of Grace June 15, 2010 at 2:31 am

I love ferns!!! I am your newest follower! Nice to meet you.
Bonnie

20 Suzanne June 15, 2010 at 3:19 am

I just bought the same fern today at my local food store! I have a beautiful antique planter my husband rec’d from a homeowner… I can’t wait now to plant it !!!! I bought the fern today b/c of your last post about the fern… it was eating away at me! Fern addicted I am as well. At least there will be two of us at the fernaholic meeting!!!!

21 Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish June 15, 2010 at 6:57 am

Oh you had me rolling laughing on the couch here! Love the fern! It is fantastic!
Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish´s last blog ..Making No Sew Pillows Out of Fabric Samples My ComLuv Profile

22 JenT June 15, 2010 at 7:31 am

Hey Kimba – I love the KQ fern you have on there now..the layering is very interesting and gives me ideas for mine…thanks!!! JenT

23 Van June 15, 2010 at 9:36 am

Gorgeous fern- I can see how it would be irresistible! I just found this beautiful blog and love it! I’ll be sure to follow for inspiration!

24 Terrell June 15, 2010 at 10:05 am

I absolutely love ferns too! I don’t think you can ever have too many :) It looks perfect in that spot too!!

25 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage June 15, 2010 at 11:51 am

LOVE it! Wastebaket-style planter and all :)

26 ann marie June 15, 2010 at 2:09 pm

I have the same type of ferns! They’re great because they can take a little more sun than others. I have 3 that are over 15 years old. I just cover them or bring them in if it’s very cold out. Even when they have frozen back, they grow out rather quickly when the weather warms up.
ann marie´s last blog ..Curb Appeal-Before and After! My ComLuv Profile

27 robyn June 15, 2010 at 2:30 pm

OHHH I love the layering of this one and the stickyupiness too! GREAT JOB KIMBA!

28 Sandy June 15, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Ha! you are funny. I love ferns, but I always kill them. ALWAYS.

I need your touch here! :)
Sandy´s last blog ..I am Reluctant (Tidy Mom). But I can Do This! My ComLuv Profile

29 Claudia June 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm

I love the fern! I’m actually going to get plants tonight so I might come home with a fern :D

30 valerene matthews, malaysia July 3, 2010 at 10:10 am

hi….*sheepishly* I’m in tropical Malaysia yet have a thing about ferns, too. see my pretty hangy-down one on my latest post.
valerene matthews, malaysia´s last blog ..Someone Needs a Haircut My ComLuv Profile