Hydrangea Bouquet Decontructed

by Kimba on June 28, 2010

in In the Garden,Seasonal Projects

Nothing brightens up my kitchen faster than a bouquet of fresh cut flowers. And if they happen to be hydrangeas cut from my front yard, then even better.

The Annabelle Hydrangeas that I planted in our front beds 2 summers ago are getting big and they’re covered with beautiful white blooms. I really think that the hydrangea is God’s most perfect flower. You don’t need to be a master flower arranger to create a gorgeous bouquet. They’re so big and beautiful that they practically arrange themselves.

This is one of my favorite ways to create a quick arrangement or centerpiece. I put 5 or 6 mason jars into a metal basket (from Marshalls). Each jar gets 2 or 3 hydrangea flowers and a few get a stem or 2 of leaves. That’s it!

I have a small obsession with mason jars because they’re useful for so many thing besides just canning.

A seriously stunning arrangement in 5 minutes flat. Having these beautiful flowers in the house makes me happy.

Hydrangeas are usually considered a southern flower, but us northern girls can grow them too. You just have to pick the right varieties. Besides the Annabelle, I’ve also planted some Endless Summer hydrangeas in the front yard. They’re blue in acidic soil and pink in alkaline soil. You can add some lime around the base of the plant to encourage blue blooms if your soil isn’t acidic enough.

And just a few weeks ago, I planted these beautiful babies behind our garage.

They’re called Limelight Hydrangeas and I’m dreaming of a huge garden full of bright green blooms that I can cut all summer.

I could find them in a local nursery but I found them from on Ebay (yes, Ebay!) and decided to take a chance. Hubby calls them my “plants in a box”. They arrived all wrapped up and ready to plant. So far so good!

I love puttering in the yard as much as I love puttering in the house. We’re lucky that we have plenty of space to try out new plants and flowers. Young plants are generally inexpensive so they’re a great way to experiment and find out what works in your yard.

What’s your favorite thing growing in your yard right now?

1 Sheri June 28, 2010 at 10:27 am

Is it okay that I am insanely jealous? My hydrangea isn’t blooming AT ALL. Sigh.

2 Janet June 28, 2010 at 10:41 am

Love hydrangeas! Yours are gorgeous! I only have one in my yard and I feed it monthly so that has blue blooms — my fave flower along with peonies! I definitely need to plant more! :)

3 Lynn from For Love or Funny June 28, 2010 at 10:43 am

Kimba, do you just cut your hydrangeas? Or do you poke holes in their stems to help them drink the water? They’ve got such woody stems, sometimes mine don’t last too long after I cut them.

Also, when do you cut back your hydrangeas? Mine is getting too big near the front door. I need to trim it back, but I’m afraid that the “haircut” will prevent blooms next summer…
Lynn from For Love or Funny´s last blog ..Toad you so My ComLuv Profile

4 Mary June 29, 2010 at 7:56 am

You can cut back your hydrangea after it finishes blooming. Follow your zone for when to fertilize.

5 Michele @ The Scrap Shoppe June 28, 2010 at 10:59 am

I have the worst luck with hydrangeas (and I live in the south!). I’ve killed two shrubs in the past couple of years. Yours are beatutiful! I’ve moved on to hydrangea TREES! So far so good. They are still too young to bloom, but I’ve had them (alive!!) for over a year now! My favorite thing growing in my yard right now are my summer veggies. :)
Michele @ The Scrap Shoppe´s last blog ..Upcycled Tin Canister My ComLuv Profile

6 Centsational Girl June 28, 2010 at 10:59 am

Oh, they are the BEST flower in the garden ! I have two varieties planted already, and like you, just got a white Annabelle. LOVE! Mine only grow where they get morning sun and afternoon shade, but year after year, they give back in a big way. SO gorgeous.

Yours are so so lovely!
xo
Kate

7 Laurie E June 28, 2010 at 11:09 am

Thanks for sharing these beauties – hydrangeas are my absolute favorite flowers!!! I’ve already blogged about them a couple times in the past few months! Love ASPTL! ♥Laurie from Scene of the Grime

8 Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage June 28, 2010 at 11:11 am

I love em! Gorgeous!! And ebay??? Who would have thought??
Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage´s last blog ..Bulletin Board Makeover – continuation of my 10 in 10 My ComLuv Profile

9 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions June 28, 2010 at 11:21 am

My favorite right now are my hydrangeas, too. I have the blue endless ones, which I posted about this weekend, too! I have several but two of these bushes that are debating what color to be ~ some of the flowers are blue, some purple and some pink. Someone left a comment about putting nails around the bush to change the color. I love the white though and have a small one that I moved from the back yard to a front bed. This year it finally gave me one little white flower, so I won’t be cutting it just yet. : )

10 Amanda @ Serenity Now June 28, 2010 at 11:52 am

Love your arrangement! :) That would look neat with some burlap in the basket too.

My hydrangeas are on their second year right now, and I was surprised that they came back at all. They looked kind of fried last summer, but they are larger and even have some blooms! :)

I have some really pretty orange marigolds and pink wave petunias in my window boxes right now. I love those!

11 Champe June 28, 2010 at 12:37 pm

My Limelights are just starting to bloom….seems they are a bit behind the regular blues…just fyi – but they are a fantastic glowing white/lime color.

12 Shelle June 28, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I love hydrangeas. They’re so beautiful. I’ve always killed every plant I’ve ever even looked at, but this year I am finally learning. I grew herbs from seeds, have my front flower garden looking nice and even have a few house plants that have survived a few months. :) I love your flowers!!
Shelle´s last blog ..Mod Podge herb labels and a revamped plant stand My ComLuv Profile

13 LoriSF June 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

I planted a hydrangea last fall and it’s currently in bloom with gorgeous blue flowers. Just yesterday I picked 3 blooms for a small kitchen centerpiece and already they’re completely wilted. What did I do wrong??! :(

14 Tracey June 28, 2010 at 1:56 pm

This post is further confirmation that I want hydrangeas growing in my yard! Right now we just have a few potted flowers on our deck along with some herbs–which make any meal tasty!

15 Jennifer June 28, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I have always loved hydrangea’s… but I have no clue why I haven’t tried to plant some yet! :) I buy plants at the end of the season when everything is on sale, I might just have to try and find one this year! They are beautiful.
Jennifer´s last blog ..Caffeinated Randomness My ComLuv Profile

16 asnipofgoodness June 28, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Southern, northern…..it don’t matter none! Them there hydrangias looked purtty well plum bootiful wheres ever yous em plant em! :)
asnipofgoodness´s last blog ..climb to the top My ComLuv Profile

17 robyn June 28, 2010 at 4:36 pm

GORGEOUS!!! I love yours in the mason jars! I have a small collection of various size enamaled pitchers I put min in. I blogged about hydrangea love the other day too! ;-)

18 Bela June 28, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Lovely, Kimba, lovely!!! So sweet and bright flowers! Have a wonderful week. Kisses, Bela.

19 Dawn-Hydrangea Home June 28, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Kimba – I just planted the Limelight variety last fall and already have blooms on them! I found them online from a Hydrangea nursery – never thought I would have blooms the first year! I can’t wait to cut them. You know Hydrangeas are my favorite too!

20 Karen June 28, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I love hydrangeas too! We moved to Kansas from Arizona 5 years ago, and having those gorgeous blooms in my yard was a must. We planted two Endless Summer bushes the first year, and then added a few more Blushing Brides the next. Last year we added Limelights and they are my absolute favorite. They are just getting ready to bloom, and I am so happy that the plants have at least doubled in size.
Hope yours are successful too. The centerpiece is adorable; there will be another one just like it sitting on a kitchen island in Kansas tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.

21 Kelly@40isthenew30 June 28, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Kimba, your arrangement is so lovely, and I am so jealous that the blooms came from your yard! I *love* hydrangeas, but they do NOT grow well in Houston, so we don’t have any of those gorgeous hydrangea bushes I often see in Portland and Seattle when I visit.

I also don’t have a yard since I live in a condo. So that might another reason why I don’t have any fresh flowers in my house right now!

Kelly

22 diana June 28, 2010 at 7:31 pm

the limelights are my FAVORITE – I have had them 3 years and they are abut 5 feet tall. They need partial sun and water , but the blooms are fantastic

23 shelly@familyblt June 28, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Those are sooooo purty! I wish they would grow where I live. lovelovelove them!

24 Carol H. June 28, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Kimba: About adding lime… What you’d said is incorrect. You add lime to get pink flowers. You’d add aluminum sulfate to get blue flowers. (Lime makes the soil less acidic and you want more acidic soil to have blue flowers). Try adding 1 Tbsp of aluminum sulfate per gallon of water and apply to plants throughout the growing season. But be careful that you don’t put on too much or you’ll burn the plants!

25 Melanie June 28, 2010 at 10:51 pm

I absolutely love this flower. We had the most beautiful plant in Georgia that was a beautiful purple. I always had some in my kitchen window sill. I really hope we get settled with my husbands job and stay somewhere long enough to grow some beautiful things. Just moved from Florida to Ohio and now we are probably going to South Carolina. Two huge moves in less than a year might just do me in:(

I will just think about the next house and that we will be there at least two years. Maybe I will grow some and maybe they will be as beautiful as yours.
Melanie´s last blog ..I heart Target- My ComLuv Profile

26 Suzanne June 28, 2010 at 10:59 pm

Your hydrangeas are stunning. I love the way you arrange them in the wire basket with mason jars. Just perfect!
Suzanne´s last blog ..Antique Pedestal Bowl My ComLuv Profile

27 Jennifer June 29, 2010 at 12:01 am

I love hydrangeas! Although our landscaper said that our yard was too sunny, I insisted and we have a dozen beautiful plants back there!
I was just going to search tonight for other things I can make on my own (did applesauce and strawberry jam last week, yogurt this week) to find uses for the salsa and sauce jars I’ve been collecting. This will be perfect for the couple of “not-so-decorative” ones =)
Yea to hydrangeas!
Thanks!

28 Mindi July 8, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Hi Jennifer,
I just wanted to encourage you to go for it — limelight hydrangeas can take the sun! They prefer it. I planted two last year in full sun and they bloomed that first year, and at the same time, I planted one in the back yard with good sun exposure during the day (no afternoon sun) but the buds appeared and never developed – they just turned brown. I moved it in the fall to a full sun location to see if it was just the plant ’cause it came from a different source, but it was the sun that they needed. It is full – totally full of blooms this year. Love those limelights!!!

29 Aimee June 29, 2010 at 1:46 am

It would have to be a tie between the peonies (which are just dying off) and the hydrangeas (which are almost in bloom). Moving from the South to the Pacific Northwest last year, I was so excited to see gorgeous hydrangeas in my yard! The peonies are a new experience, and I love them, too.
Aimee´s last blog ..Music Monday My ComLuv Profile

30 Mary Lou June 29, 2010 at 2:32 am

Oh Kimba, Hydrangeas are my absolute favorite flower in the world. I’m not sure when my obsession, I mean love began. I only have one bush as we live in a condo but I love them so. I think You’re right that they are God’s gift to us.
Mary Lou´s last blog ..AN APPLE A DAY My ComLuv Profile

31 Lesley @ TheDesignFile June 29, 2010 at 9:14 am

Very nice! Thanks for the tips.
Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..White walls- colorful rooms My ComLuv Profile

32 Life with Kaishon June 29, 2010 at 2:52 pm

They are my favorite favorites : )
Life with Kaishon´s last blog ..vay-kay-shun fab-u-less- My ComLuv Profile

33 Sandy@Life Began in a Garden June 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I am quite fond of hydrangeas also, I only have 1 endless summer, but 2 white oakleaf ones.
The glads are blooming now here in E. NC, GORGEOUS!

(BTW, you spelled deconStructed wrong) :)

34 Megan @honeywerehome June 29, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I love hydrangeas. We are building our first house right now so this will be my very first opportunity to have a yard and try to grow some flowers. I’m in Houston, so hopefully that southern thing is workin’ in my favor!

35 melissa stover June 29, 2010 at 11:13 pm

i love hydrangeas!
melissa stover´s last blog ..Keep up with your favorite links using Tumblr My ComLuv Profile

36 TidyMom June 30, 2010 at 9:42 am

I bought my first Endless Summer Hydrangea this year too! Mine turned blue all on it’s own, so my soil must have what ever is needed for that.

I cut some blooms for the kitchen, and now it’s empty……I’m hoping I’ll get more blooms this year :-( hope it was ok to cut them – anyone know??
TidyMom´s last blog ..WFMW – Blogger HMTL Gadget Help My ComLuv Profile

37 Shilo July 8, 2010 at 11:50 am

Beautiful, Kimba! I love hydrangeas…instead of rice at our wedding we had people throw hydrangea petals. It was so fragrant!
Would love to have you pop over to see what we’ve done in our new rental if you have a few minutes!
Blessings,
Shilo

38 Beth@EverydayLifeOfBellom July 16, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I have two limelights that I planted when we first bought our home three years ago. I just wanted to be a “real home owner” and plant something. They are now 7 feet tall and so heavy with flowers every summer that I have to give them away.

Also, they dry beautifully and will last forever once dry. I still have dried ones from the first summer in a vase and they look amazing.
Beth@EverydayLifeOfBellom´s last blog ..Its Friday- Get Fresh! My ComLuv Profile