A $7.50 Cabinet Makeover

by Kimba on June 2, 2010

in Do it yourself,Furniture Rehab

I’ve been on the hunt for a small cabinet for our master bathroom for months and months. We needed a little extra storage for towels and toiletries. Is there such a thing as too much storage in the bathroom? I think not.

My patience paid off when I found this shapely, but raggedy, cabinet at my favorite flea-tique a few weeks ago. I was happy to pay the $15 listed on the price tag. Imagine the squeals when I saw the “Everything 1/2 Off” sign! That’s $7.50, baby!!! Yeeehaaaw!

After a little elbow grease and some paint, it’s perfect for our bathroom. Love it!

I’ve been wanting to try the Behr Paint and Primer and this seemed like a good opportunity. Mostly because I was feeling super lazy and using two products was way too much work.

My thoughts? I like it! It’s a little more expensive than regular paint, but I didn’t have to buy primer so I guess it evens out. I think I put on 3 coats of paint (4 on the door fronts) and the paint went on beautifully and covered really well. The color I used is called Polar White and it’s a semi-gloss finish.

I gave the cabinet a (very) light sanding, then I used the brush to paint the edges and corners. I love those small sized rollers (NOT the foam ones) for painting furniture. I know that purists will say that you MUST use a brush because a roller won’t cover, give you a smooth finish, fly you to the moon, whatever. But they’re easy. And I’m all about keeping things easy.

Some new knobs that I picked up at Hobby Lobby the last time I was in NC and it’s ready to go!

Isn’t it amazing what a few coats of paint can do? What’s on your list of things to paint this summer?

Related posts:

My Painted Kitchen Stools

How to Paint a Kitchen Table

1 carlotta June 2, 2010 at 9:28 am

It looks awesome!
One thing on my to do list this summer is to repaint my desk…

2 Emily@remodelingthislife June 2, 2010 at 9:30 am

I love it! I have that same thing on my list when I am thrifting. something for more storage in the bathroom. You found a gem!
Emily@remodelingthislife´s last blog ..Trips Around The Sun My ComLuv Profile

3 Leigh June 2, 2010 at 9:32 am

AMAZING! That really turned out great!

4 Katherine @ Grass Stains June 2, 2010 at 9:40 am

Arrrrggggghhhh! It’s BEAUTIFUL! Why is it so hard for me to see the same potential in butt-ugly furniture that everyone else seems to be able to see? It’s a mystery to me. GREAT JOB!

5 Kelli June 2, 2010 at 9:54 am

I love the color! I am working on painting an entertainment center turned bench for my living room right now. I am finished priming, now I just have to decide what color to paint it!
Kelli´s last blog ..6 Days of Summer Fun! Day Two: No Sew Felt Library Bags My ComLuv Profile

6 Jessica @ This Blessed Life June 2, 2010 at 9:57 am

Looks GORGEOUS, Kimba!

7 Jo @ To a Pretty LIfe June 2, 2010 at 10:00 am

What a pretty cabinet! I’m envious that you have space to put extra cabinets in your bathroom! Our house is too space efficient. There’s no room for any storage-type furniture anywhere. Oh well.

Topping my list to paint: My front door! It’s going to be blue because my husband vetoed red and black or grey
Jo @ To a Pretty LIfe´s last blog ..What to do with Toddler artwork, ideas 2 and 3 My ComLuv Profile

8 ktinajoy June 2, 2010 at 10:05 am

I like! I have two dressers to paint this summer. One will be white and one will be black. Can’t wait for my kids to attend all day VBS, so I have some free time for my projects!

9 Tasha June 2, 2010 at 10:20 am

Wow. Just gorgeous. I love it. I have a long list of things to paint and redue this summer. A desk, my whole bedding set (nightstands, bedstand…maybe even the dresser), some other living room furniture, and my table and chairs. We shall see how much I accomplish. One piece at a time right? Kind of fun to think about though. Love love love what you did with this one!

10 Tonya @ More Than Enough June 2, 2010 at 10:27 am

Love what you did w/this cabinet!!!

I think the proper response to your question would be what am I not planning to paint this summer?! ;) I’ve got plans to paint our living room, kitchen, bathroom, master bedroom, a desk, a buffet, a nightstand, dining room chairs, an armoire…..and I’m sure I’ll find something else that needs painted. We’ll just see how much actually gets painted! ;)
Tonya @ More Than Enough´s last blog ..{she melts my heart} My ComLuv Profile

11 Desiree June 2, 2010 at 10:28 am

I can’t believe you only paid $7.50 for that cabinet! What a deal! It looks great and fits the space perfectly. You are so lucky to have room for furniture in your bathroom. I have a couple of pieces of furniture to paint but haven’t gotten around to it yet. I needed this motivation. T hanks!
-Desiree
Desiree´s last blog ..Our {Girly} Playroom My ComLuv Profile

12 Cynthia June 2, 2010 at 10:34 am

Wow! That looks great, and no you can never have enough storage…. unless you start storing toilet paper in your shower.
I’ve got a lot of painting on my list this summer. A cart for our master bath, front and back doors, one bedroom, master bath, and a vintage wicker settee and chair I found at the thrift store for $30 total! Not sure I will get it all done, but then again I’m not sure that’s the point.

13 the Blah Blah Blahger June 2, 2010 at 10:38 am

NO WAY! Girl, you have all the luck!

14 Jen@balancing Beauty and Bedlam June 2, 2010 at 10:39 am

YEA – it’s PERFECT!!! Come back and gets some more things from Hobby Lobby…we’re waiting for you. :)
Jen@balancing Beauty and Bedlam´s last blog ..Home Depot Garden Club Discount and Ideas My ComLuv Profile

15 Sherry @ No Minimalist Here June 2, 2010 at 10:49 am

Your cabinet turned out great all newly painted in white. Looks so fresh and perfect for a bathroom.
Hugs,
Sherry
Sherry @ No Minimalist Here´s last blog ..Crusty, Rusty DIY My ComLuv Profile

16 kacey @ shes.no.martha June 2, 2010 at 11:19 am

I LOVE it! Why does everyone find these great scores?!?
Question for you… I am wrapping up a dresser and used a roller with semi-gloss paint. Do you notice that there are still visible “strokes” even with the roller?

Kacey

17 Jennifer June 2, 2010 at 11:23 am

That is a perfect cabinet for that spot! Great find… and great fix up! :)
Jennifer´s last blog ..A Glimpse of A Ruffle My ComLuv Profile

18 Budget Wise Home June 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

This looks so fabulous!!! Don’t you love what white paint can do to almost anything?! You did a fantastic job.

19 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions June 2, 2010 at 11:29 am

Beautiful, Kimba! It fits in that spot so well, too! Great price. I’d love to find a headboard and my son needs a desk. I would most likely paint both if I can find good ones at a decent price.
Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions´s last blog ..Celebration Giveaway! My ComLuv Profile

20 The Working Home Keeper June 2, 2010 at 11:46 am

Beautiful! We just finished painting a dresser using the Behr paint and primer in Hushed White. I’m planning on painting a small desk in our daughter’s room the same color. Also contemplating re-painting our downstairs bathroom and foyer.

Mary Ellen
The Working Home Keeper´s last blog ..Working Mommy Wednesday – Breakfast Ideas My ComLuv Profile

21 Becca's Dirt June 2, 2010 at 11:53 am

I love it. Great job. Makes me want to paint something.

22 Amy @ Living Locurto June 2, 2010 at 11:55 am

That looks awesome! I need to paint so many things around here. I’ve finally gotten back into decorating and DIY stuff so I’m scouring your blog. Love it!
Amy @ Living Locurto´s last blog ..Lego Cake Pops My ComLuv Profile

23 Kate June 2, 2010 at 12:15 pm

It looks great!

24 Amanda Mae June 2, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Oh I love it!! Very inspirational…now I want to go out and find a deal :)
Amanda Mae´s last blog ..Bad timing… My ComLuv Profile

25 too Blessed to Stress June 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I LOVE polar white! I used it on our office {which I’m revealing tomorrow, so excited!}. It started off as the color for my new desk and ended up on the trim and door as well. It is so fresh and clean.

I love your new little storage, and I agree – no such thing as too much storage!

~ Emily N. from “too Blessed to Stress”

26 Kristen @ High Heels and a Hammer June 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm

It turned out beautiful. And $7.50? What’s not to love about that? It looks like a perfect fit for that spot!

27 Vera June 2, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Really, really nice transformation! Thanks so much for telling us the paint you used.

Again – a job most excellent!

28 Sarah @ The Ugly Duckling House June 2, 2010 at 1:20 pm

I really like the Behr paint + primer too, but keep in mind that sun exposure will definitely yellow the paint significantly. If you get a chip or need a touch-up in the future, there is a chance that the paint won’t match 100% exactly, but for a $7.50 cabinet, the paint worked wonders! Nice job!
Sarah @ The Ugly Duckling House´s last blog ..How Do You Hue? My ComLuv Profile

29 Teri June 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm

That is awesome!!! My list keeps growing….I need to paint an old school desk & chair ( someone antiqued it a nasty teal and it peeled off in spots), a desk from the ’40′s for my daughter’s room, an iron bed, and a telephone stand that will be a bed side table in our bedroom. Having all that said, I have to paint a stairway, a bedroom, a Thomas the Tank Engine on our youngest wall and all the porch posts. I will be loopy from all the fumes.

30 Mrs. S. June 2, 2010 at 2:24 pm

How absolutely fabulous!
Mrs. S.´s last blog ..Day 15- A FanFic My ComLuv Profile

31 Melissa June 2, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Love it! I am also looking for something for my master bath. I’m all about thrifting for furniture. Almost always the older furniture is SOLID and made so much better. Great job!

32 Rebecca June 2, 2010 at 3:08 pm

What a cute little cabinet! And it is unrecognizable from the “before” picture. I have several pieces of furniture that I’m planning to pain this summer and it’s always great to see how other people are transforming their pieces!
Rebecca´s last blog ..Confessions of a Stay at Home Momma My ComLuv Profile

33 Talysa June 2, 2010 at 3:18 pm

So very cute! I have to ask you this….do you have the name of the wall color in your bathroom? I have been looking for a pretty golden yellow color for my kitchen…and I believe your floors are my exact tile in my kitchen. Thanks!

34 Kimba June 2, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Yep! It’s Restoration Hardware Latte. You can buy their paint online if you don’t have a store nearby. You can also get other paint places to match their colors.

I do love their paint but it’s not very convenient for most peopl

35 Laurie-Jean June 2, 2010 at 3:54 pm

You have sold me on the Behr primer/paint. I’ll use it on my next project. The cabinet is looks so crisp and clean! Excellent work.:)
Laurie-Jean´s last blog ..Memorial Day 2010 My ComLuv Profile

36 Jessica June 2, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Love it, what a perfect shape!

I’m painting everything this summer. Picture frames, pictures inside the frames, mirror frames, furniture, other people’s bedrooms. You name it!
Jessica´s last blog ..To Do Before We Move My ComLuv Profile

37 Amanda @ Serenity Now June 2, 2010 at 4:12 pm

It looks fabulous!! So pretty and fresh. :)

38 Pati @ A Crafty Escape June 2, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Love it! I would love to have something like this in my bathroom because like you said, one can never have too much storage in there. Great job!
Pati @ A Crafty Escape´s last blog ..Embroidered Cards for Teachers My ComLuv Profile

39 Cindy @ the glass chick June 2, 2010 at 6:06 pm

It is great but the fact that it costs $7.50 makes it more beautiful! You’re a girl after my own heart. Another tip if you ever need a couple of cheap knobs. Habitat Restore has knobs for a buck and sometimes they’re in bags where you get two for a dollar.

40 Kacey June 2, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Can’t go wrong with cheap AND cute!

Kacey
Kacey´s last blog ..Frenchy My ComLuv Profile

41 Carmie of the Single Nester June 2, 2010 at 7:34 pm

What a great job! Looks terrific. And the price? Girl, you can’t beat it!

42 Little Lovables June 2, 2010 at 8:03 pm

wow, it’s so pretty, I can’t believe the price you got it for!

43 kelly June 2, 2010 at 10:07 pm

that is so cool. we have such a small house that nothing else can fit so i cannot go hunting for things to make over! it looks perfect there!

44 Melanie June 2, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I love the piece of furniture. It looks good and sturdy. I used the Behr Paint & Primer and I didn’t like it. I was covering khaki with a light pink and it just didn’t well for me. Glad that you liked it.
Melanie´s last blog ..Edna Mae’s Sour Cream Pancakes My ComLuv Profile

45 Southern Fried Gal June 2, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Why can’t I ever find a steal like that? I think I don’t have the eye for that sort of thing. It is beautiful and I’m jealous!

46 cristin @ simplified bee June 2, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I just love paint.

xo,
cristin
cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Liz Levin Nesting – Your Kid-Friendly Furnishing Resource & Special Discount My ComLuv Profile

47 Carmen June 3, 2010 at 12:04 am

I love it! Looks great! I have plenty of things to paint this summer like a bookshelf and the tables in the living room. I haven’t started anything yet.
Carmen´s last blog ..I’m a slacker! My ComLuv Profile

48 Linda C June 3, 2010 at 12:22 am

I wish I had your “eye” for making old things wonderful!:) Just love how this turned out! Just one question–doesn’t that starfish get slung across the room as a kid goes by and grabs one or those towels? jk–that’s what would happen at my house:) Seriously- it looks great with all the goodies you have displayed on it!

Thanks for sharing your talent with us!

Linda C

49 The Scooper June 3, 2010 at 10:01 am

Girl, I LOVE that bathroom cab. We finished our homeschool last week and I am finally able to do some much needed home sprucing, cleaning, etc. Painting my hall bathroom today. Not that it needs it or anything. 4 1/2 years of builder beige flat + 3 kids…ewww.

Looking forward to sharing in some summer spruce-ups!

50 Heather Libbey June 3, 2010 at 3:17 pm

This is beautiful! You’ve inspired me to hunt for my own small cabinet for the same reason. Never enough space.

Also on my to-do this summer – refinish the craigslist console table I just bought!

51 Elizabeth@BlueClearSky June 3, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Fresh and fabulous, Kimba. Great deal too! I just picked up some Behr paint and primer in one and am itching to use it. One more month of school and I’m off for the summer. My painting list is loooong, starting with my hobby room cupboard doors.

52 heidi @ wonder woman wannabe June 3, 2010 at 9:12 pm

What a great find! Looks just FAB!

53 Jenn June 3, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I love it! I have been wanting to use that Behr paint ~ I wonder if it would work well on my fire place mantle ~ without having to sand?!! lazy with a capital L! =) I hate sanding! anyway ~ it looks great!!

54 Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick June 6, 2010 at 12:26 am

OOOHH it’s GORG!! What a beauty! And I totally hate you — for $7.50? Are you kidding me?? Beeeautiful!

And just kidding. I lurve you. Lots.

55 Nancy June 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I’d seen this when you first posted it. I’m glad I found it again. I have an antique wash stand that I want to paint. I’m going to give the Behr paint and primer a try. Your cabinet looks great!

nancy