The Master Bedroom ~ A Lamp Makeover

by Kimba on May 17, 2010

in decorating,Do it yourself,Master Bedroom

The master bedroom makeover keeps moving along! I never realized how much I would love having a put-together bedroom until I started putting it together. I can’t wait to make my bed in the morning because it looks so pretty! Nevermind that there’s clean laundry stacked on the dresser and and a pile of dirty laundry in the corner. (Cause we do live in here after all.)

My next project was to find some lamps for the nightstands. There’s something so grown-up about matching lamps on the nightstands, don’t you think? I guess that makes me a child because I haven’t had a lamp on my nightstand since we moved into this house.

When I saw these brassy, but oh-so-shapely, lamps at the Goodwill, I knew they were destined for my bedroom. And at $3.00 each, the price couldn’t have been more right.

If you love brassy old lamps, then perhaps you should look away. Because I wanted these beauties to be super-shiny white, so I tried out a new-to-me spray paint…Rustoleum White Laquer. It gives you an even shinier finish than regular gloss paint. I also used an enamel primer…mostly because that’s what I had in the basement. But it was probably a good idea because it gives you a more durable finish and my lamps tend to get knocked around by flying balls and boys.

Spray painting a lamp couldn’t be easier. Just use some painter’s tape and plastic bags to protect the parts that you don’t want painted like the cord and the socket.

If I were really only the ball, I would have taken “during” pictures but I’m not. You’ll just have to trust me that I put on 2 coats of primer, then let it dry overnight. Then 2 coats of paint the next day. The whole thing probably took an hour of actual work.

I found some linen-look lampshades at my beloved Target that work perfectly.

Here’s a dumb little tip that probably won’t apply to any of you. Do you see how the nightstand on the left is taller than the nightstand on the right? You don’t really notice it until you have matching lamps on the nightstands. Then everything looks all catty-wompus and crooked. So I used a stack of books on the shorter nightstand and raised the lamp up so that the top of the shade was level with the other one.

Next up for the master bedroom makeover? Artwork for above the bed. I have a few ideas, but nothing’s written in stone yet. What do you think would work for my Zen Traditional look?

If you’re just catching up on our master bedroom makeover, check out the progress so far!

The Bedroom Philosophy
The Before Pictures
The Bedding Reveal

The Window Treatments

1 rachel May 17, 2010 at 8:36 am

I think white plates would look great!
I put some old shutters above my bed and attached plates onto them. …so that’s something else you could consider.
Love the lamps. I promise I spray paint everything from old chairs to lamps to picture frames. If it weren’t for spray paint and hot-glue, I could never decorate!
Don’t know if you saw my master bedroom re-do…but if you like here’s the link:

2 Emily@remodelingthislife May 17, 2010 at 8:47 am

So pretty, Kimba! Almost makes me want to come make your bed for you.

Glad to know that no matter how pretty a bedroom, we all have a laundry monster.
Emily@remodelingthislife´s last blog ..Life With Chickens My ComLuv Profile

3 Tonia May 17, 2010 at 8:48 am

I love the lamps, with the linen shades, but as far as pictures above the bed, this one is kinda tricky.. I suggest one large piece or a triptych of some sort.

4 Katie@Impatientlyprayingforpatience May 17, 2010 at 8:52 am

They look great!

5 Lori F. May 17, 2010 at 8:56 am

I am also in SW PA but you are obviously shopping at a different Goodwill. :=) I have never seen any thing as nice as those lamps at my local Goodwill. I’m also on the search for new bedside lamps. My husband’s is actually falling apart. I love what you did to renew the lamps. I guess I will keep up the search for my own

Also, I love that you used the expression “catty-wampus.” So funny! When I say this, people look at me with the funniest quizzical look on their faces. I love that look so I use the word often! LOL! I think I picked up that expression from my grandparents.

Love your blog!!!

6 Bekki May 17, 2010 at 9:36 am

I am chuckling over your nightstand issue. I had to stach my lamps up on books to make them even also. I am on the hunt for new stands but until I find them the books work! I love those lamps with te linen shades. Very classy. I just finished the art over my bed last week. Here’s a peek:

7 Katie May 17, 2010 at 9:36 am

I love that you added books under your lamps. My lamps are too short so I just found a bunch of pretty coordinating hard back books and that raised them up just right. I need new lamp shades now. I’m not sure about the above the bed thing. I’m not too good at that. In my guest bedroom I spray painted an old six paned wood window a pretty turquiose blue and am adding french memo boards and mirrors into the panes. When I have guests, I will added pictures of my guests so we can see who we have had visit us. I love hospitality and love having people stay with us. Mmh, I might write a post about that. ;)

8 Katie May 17, 2010 at 9:37 am

Oh, I forgot. I love it that you sent me a link for extending out my curtains with ribbon. I loved the tutorial and I love that you took the time to find it and send it to me. I have the lace curtains and will head out this week and find just the right ribbon. Super exited.

9 Tanya @ Little Life Improvements May 17, 2010 at 10:08 am

What a beautiful project! I love how you took such ugly lamps and made them so simply elegant. They go perfectly in your room!

I thought you might appreciate the simplicity of this wall art. You could, of course, change the theme of the pictures: http://www.decorpad.com/photos/2008/04/28/746dca9e68ed.jpg

I also found this tutorial for beautiful wall flowers – they’re very elegant and simple (in my opinion) but I’m not 100% sure they would be what you’re looking for: http://www.littlelifeimprovements.com/?p=1772

10 Condo Blues May 17, 2010 at 10:14 am

I donated a chipping and tarnished brass lamp to Goodwill because it was so ugly. I should have grabbed the spray paint!
Condo Blues´s last blog ..Homemade Laundry Helpers My ComLuv Profile

11 Yanet May 17, 2010 at 10:23 am

They look so pretty!

12 Stacie May 17, 2010 at 10:27 am

I love those lamp shades. Do you know what size they are? I have bedside lamps, but I hate the shades and want to switch to a shade like the ones you chose but don’t know what size to buy.

13 Richella May 17, 2010 at 10:28 am

Love your lamps! And I love that lacquer spray paint–I used it on my barstools, and it’s awesome. It’s smelly, but I guess all spray paint is pretty smelly.

Your tip about the books is a really good one. You’re right: with matching lamps, you want them to be at matching heights. Good call!
Richella´s last blog ..Nineteen candles My ComLuv Profile

14 Loulou@thelifeofloulou.blogspot.com May 17, 2010 at 10:52 am

I love them….I especially love the glossy paint. Our Goodwill sucks! Seriously. I never find ANYTHING in there. I guess I need to branch out and visit some other ones in some nearby towns.

15 Cynthia May 17, 2010 at 10:52 am

Saw your lamps and thought they would also look good as candle holders if you took the electrical guts out of them. Absolutely need to find some like that, we are in desperate need of some lighting next to our bed. I have a small milk glass lamp, but it doesn’t suit our style at all; just something to fill the space while I look. Love your bedding as well!

16 Centsational Girl May 17, 2010 at 11:35 am

Ooooh, I love me some laquer ! Those lamps are the perfect shape, I LOVE them white !

xoxo
kate

17 ashley May 17, 2010 at 11:50 am

These lamps are to-die-for! I love how you added the books underneath them–great touch! Love you blog!

Visiting from Little Miss Momma :)
ashley´s last blog ..Stud Muffins My ComLuv Profile

18 Bethany May 17, 2010 at 12:03 pm

So..I have the exact same quilt/bedspread from Target and LOVE it! So i get excited when I check your blog and see that you have updated your master. My room needs a little bit more work so it’s nice getting ideas from someone who has the same thing going on:)

19 Becky - Clean Mama May 17, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Awesome before/after! I love that Lacquer paint – it has a great shine to it. I saw on a DIY show this weekend where they put thick ribbon (with a glue gun) along the bottom edge of the lamp shade – that would look neat on yours :) I have a couple lampshades I want to try it on.

20 Stacey @ The Blessed Nest May 17, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Gorgeous! I love how your pretty new lamps turned out!! The white laquer is fabulous!!
Stacey @ The Blessed Nest´s last blog ..The Queen of Too Many Projects at Once My ComLuv Profile

21 Melanie May 17, 2010 at 1:10 pm

It’s coming together. I noticed the books under the lamp but didn’t know why until I was reading your post. I am a detail person so I caught the books but not the height of the nightstand:) I like the lamps, they look good.
Melanie´s last blog ..A Teenagers Bedroom My ComLuv Profile

22 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions May 17, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I love them in the white, Kimba! Great shade, too! I saw those at Target myself and was wishing I had an extra lamp that could use a shade.
Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions´s last blog ..Screen It My ComLuv Profile

23 amanda May 17, 2010 at 1:17 pm

those have got to be the prettiest lamps ever. they look like wood. i never would have thought of that.

24 Heathahlee May 17, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I needed a floor lamp to display tassels for the craft fair I did Saturday, and Lowe’s had a “buy two table lamps and floor lamp for $70″ special. I started to get it and take back the $40 Kirkland’s lamp I had just bought (and LOVED), then realized I had plenty of lamps at home that work just fine; they just need some spray paint love! : )

Did you get my comment the other day about me having the same bed ensemble? : )
Heathahlee´s last blog ..God is Good! (As if I needed a reminder!) My ComLuv Profile

25 Amanda @ Serenity Now May 17, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I’m gonna quote Thrifty Decor Chick and say that I “LURVE” your lamps. :) Brilliant idea to stack the books under the one for height. Your room is really turning out nicely. I saw those cute shades in Target, but didn’t snatch them up.

26 GrannySue May 17, 2010 at 1:47 pm

The lamps look terrific. Putting the books under one is a not only a great idea, but looks so decorative. Your bedroom is so pretty. I’ve decided to work on mine, also, but I’m not even close to photos time. I may just have to paint my dated brass lamps nad re-shade them. Thanks for the inspiration.

27 Regan May 17, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I am SO glad that you put those books under your lamp! That is one of my biggest design pet peeves! I love mismatched nightstands, and you did it exactly right! Everything looks great!!

28 Carmen May 17, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Beautiful! I love shiny white!!
Carmen´s last blog ..Ice Cream Shoppe Party My ComLuv Profile

29 Samantha May 17, 2010 at 3:56 pm

What a fun project, I think they look amazing! ~Sam

ps. I appreciated your tip about the books! In that situation I probably would have over thought it and created some crazy contraption to go under the table or something! :)

30 Tisha May 17, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Love the lamps! For above the bed, why not buy 3 small square canvases and paint different geometric designs in black and white? Or how about a large monogram on the wall?

31 RJ @ A Life Designed May 17, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Those lamps look great in white, and what a smart idea to give one a lift with some books!

Looking forward to seeing what you decide to go with over the bed. If it were me I’d be looking for something simple, geometric + white!
RJ @ A Life Designed´s last blog ..For the Birds My ComLuv Profile

32 new Every Morning May 17, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Can you believe that I looked at that SAME Target lampshade yesterday? Your post sealed the deal. Can’t wait to see it on my nautical (yard sale, woot woot) lamp.

33 Heidi - Heart and Home May 17, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Hi Kimba,
Awesome job, your room is really coming together now. I love the lamps, they look so new and modern – perfect!
Xo
Heidi – Heart and Home

34 Traci May 17, 2010 at 9:23 pm

Kimba,
Those lamps turned out gorgeous! So clean and fresh. I love the shades you got to go with them too.
I had to do the same thing with my lamps in my makeover…the table of the left of the bed was smaller, so I put some books under my lamp to give it some height. Great little idea!
Can’t wait to see the rest of your transformation.
Blessings!

35 Amber May 17, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Ahhh, I love what spraypaint can do. The shape of the lamps is great! Love your new bedding too. It’s coming together!

36 Paula May 18, 2010 at 5:16 am

Super job! White paint and burlap lampshades really updates this duo.
Paula´s last blog ..The Week in Review My ComLuv Profile

37 Marie May 20, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Hello sweet Kimba – I absolutely love what you did with the lamps! I’m going to try that white lacquer on something. Really like the shades too. Your bedroom is coming along beautifully! Love the colors you’ve chosen. Great job!

Blessings,