Last Minute DIY Mother’s Day Gifts

by Kimba on May 5, 2010

in Do it yourself,Gifts,Seasonal Projects

EEK! Did Mother’s Day creep up on you this year? It’s this weekend, you know.  If you’re in a bind, I’ve put together a collection of do it yourself Mother’s Day gifts that you and/or your kiddos can make for their Grandma, Auntie, neighbor or teacher.

One of the VERY first posts I wrote on this blog was about our Mother’s Day sunflowers. We’re doing it again this year, but we’re planting the seeds directly into the buckets since we got a late start. So essentially, my kids are giving buckets of dirt as Mother’s Day gifts. But it’s the thought that counts, right?

For something a little prettier, I am WILD about these Plantable Seeded Paper Flowers from HowDoesShe.com. The tutorial is fantastic and the finished flowers are beautiful! How about a whole bouquet for a Gardening Grandma?

Do you remember when moms would always wear corsages to church on Mother’s Day? I adore this paper corsage from Makes and Takes. They last forever! No preserving required.

If you’re feeling especially crafty, what mom wouldn’t love this Dahlia Felt Brooch from Holidash. You all know how much I love felt brooches. This one is gorgeous!

If you have some scrap wood laying around (and what DIY gal doesn’t?), you could whip together this fun and sentimental Accordion Photo Gallery from The How-To Gal.

And if you’re going to grab a Sam’s Club or grocery store bouquet of flowers for your mom, Richella from Imparting Grace showed us how to arrange the flowers to make them even more beautiful.

How about some DIY bath salts? This tutorial from Smashed Peas and Carrots shows you how to make the salts (which I LOVE as a foot-scrub) AND how to package them beautifully. The kids can help too!

What are you doing for Mother’s Day? We’ll be hosting both sides of our family here on Sunday. It’s also my hubby’s birthday, so we’ll be celebrating it all together.

1 Melanie May 5, 2010 at 9:27 am

I am not planning anything:( We live 800 miles from our Mothers so a card is in the mail. Hope everyone has a great day!
Melanie´s last blog ..This is beautiful! My ComLuv Profile

2 Kim @ seven thirty three May 5, 2010 at 9:31 am

We are hosting brunch for my Mom and Grandmother. It is also my mom’s birthday, so she gets a double whammy! We’ll do dinner with my MIL.

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive Mother’s Day gift I have a Free Room Service Door Hanger on my website! Come check it out and pamper your mama!

3 Liz May 5, 2010 at 9:33 am

I always seem to get my mother gifts personalized in some way that has to do with her grandchildren. I realized this year that she doesn’t have any jewelry personalized with her actual children! So I bought her a gorgeous necklace from The Vintage Pearl with my name and my sister’s name engraved on it. She is going to love it!

4 Jennifer May 5, 2010 at 9:52 am

Oh… so many great ideas! Thanks for the PRETTY inspiration! I am going to check out those paper flowers ASAP. We are going to be celebrating Mother’s Day and my birthday at my parents house. The ‘gangs’ all going to be there… FUN!! :) Hope you have a wonderful mother’s day Kimba!
Jennifer´s last blog ..I’m sponsoring Tutorial Tuesday.. GIVEAWAY time! My ComLuv Profile

5 sharon May 5, 2010 at 9:57 am
6 Handy Man, Crafty Woman May 5, 2010 at 11:15 am

cute! I love the paper flower corsage!!

7 Richella May 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

Kimba! Thank you so much for the linky love! I appreciate it SO much!

I’m knocking along here, getting ready for my “Those Special Touches” linky party on Friday. . . battling insecurity, as I have so often in the past. But I’m making progress! I’m putting myself out there and trusting that it’ll be okay one way or another.

Hope you’re having a wonderful week and getting ready for an awesome Mother’s Day! Love ya!
Richella´s last blog ..Dishing with Amanda My ComLuv Profile

8 Suzie May 5, 2010 at 12:09 pm

The Dream: I will be sleeping in and having breakfast in bed. The kids will behave and the hubby will ask me what needs to get done and actually do it.

The Reality: I will be working, grabbing a quick nap and then get to finish up the house cleaning before heading off to baseball practice.

As long as I’m with the family all will be good!
Suzie´s last blog ..Just give me Five Minutes! My ComLuv Profile

9 Pati @ A Crafty Escape May 5, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I got my mom a cute purse and made her a matching key chain that I posted about in my blog today. In our family it’s the thought that counts, and I know my mom will love getting something that I made for her with love. Happy Mother’s Day!
Pati @ A Crafty Escape´s last blog ..Key Chain for Mom My ComLuv Profile

10 kristin May 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Isn’t mothers day just so dang fun! What great ideas! Thank you !
kristin´s last blog ..Big My ComLuv Profile

11 Bringing Pretty Back May 5, 2010 at 8:09 pm

We are going to a parade of homes on mothers day and then home to bbq. It is one of the best day of the year ! ( :
Bringing Pretty Back´s last blog ..Big My ComLuv Profile

12 Tammy @ Not Just Paper and Glue May 5, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I love the paper corsage. It is so lovely. Thanks for sharing all of the links :)

13 Anna Rose @ The How-To Gal May 6, 2010 at 12:10 am

Thanks for the feature Kimba!

14 Heathahlee May 6, 2010 at 12:54 am

We celebrated Mother’s Day a week early since my Mom was up here for a few days. I’m glad I read this post, because I want to order her a corsage (we still do that some in the South!).

I get to spend Mother’s Day at the baseball field. Yay me. :P
Heathahlee´s last blog ..So Long, Green Big Van! My ComLuv Profile

15 Jen@balancing Beauty and Bedlam May 6, 2010 at 9:50 am

Rats….I just got this up yesterday but it’s super easy…..go tell your kids to do it. :) I’ll do another one for Father’s Day
Jen@balancing Beauty and Bedlam´s last blog ..How did Mother’s Day Begin? My ComLuv Profile