For the Love of Ferns

by Kimba on May 24, 2010

in In the Garden

I used to think of ferns as old-lady plants…no offense to old-ladies. I love old-ladies. I hope to be one someday.

But no more! I was looking for something different for my hanging baskets this year and I found myself utterly smitten with ferns. They’re so beautiful. And southern. And despite the face that I live in Pennsylvania, I believe I have a southern heart. (How else can you explain the fact that I make KILLER sweet tea?)

So ferns it is. Mine came from Lowe’s, but I’ve seen beautiful ferns at Home Depot, Sam’s Club and Walmart this year. Must be a good year for ferns.

And if you’re tempted to leave your hanging baskets in the plastic pots that they came in, let me give you little tip. DON’T DO IT! The baskets aren’t big enough to let the plants grow properly for the whole season and the hanger parts aren’t long enough.

Yes, I bought the wrong size liners. But they’ll still work.

I’ve had these metal hanging baskets for nearly 10 years now and they’ve served me well. I just replace the coconut liners every few years. If you want a step-by-step tutorial for re-potting your hanging baskets, check out my post from last year.

Much better!

What’s in your baskets this year?

Here’s some more hanging basket ideas:

The World’s Largest Hanging Basket @ UK Telegraph
How to Make a Wild Hanging Basket @ Craftzine
Beth’s Beautiful Front Porch with Baskets @ The Stories of A to Z

1 Pam @ diy Design Fanatic May 24, 2010 at 9:04 am

Thanks for the insight on ferns. I bought mine at Lowe’s this year, too. I have them on my back patio & front porch!
Pam @ diy Design Fanatic´s last blog ..Sprucing up the Front Porch My ComLuv Profile

2 Andrea May 24, 2010 at 9:08 am

I love ferns! They are one of my favorite things ever! Yours look way better than mine do. I bought the puny ones in hopes of reviving them, but it didn’t quite work out. I will be making a trip to Lowes soon! Have a great monday!
Andrea´s last blog ..My total front porch makeover My ComLuv Profile

3 Beverly @ The Buzz May 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

I always have ferns on the front porch–after a disastrous year trying to keep annuals watered. And if the birds in your area are like the ones here, they’ll make a beeline for those ferns to make nests! Ours come back every year.
Beverly @ The Buzz´s last blog ..Saturday Shout Outs My ComLuv Profile

4 Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions May 24, 2010 at 9:13 am

I love ferns, too! I love them hanging from a front porch ~ I think they {psychologically} make you feel cooler.
Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions´s last blog ..Thrifty Finds Help Organize My ComLuv Profile

5 Donna May 24, 2010 at 9:19 am

Being the southern girl that I am… ferns it is. They are adorning my front porch this year. And I *love* them!

6 Jess May 24, 2010 at 9:41 am

You know what’s in my hanging baskets? Ferns from Lowe’s too!! I loved them! :-)
Jess´s last blog ..The Best Worst Week Ever My ComLuv Profile

7 The Tablescaper May 24, 2010 at 9:42 am

Your ferns look lovely. Now you’ve got me thinking that the big hanging pot of wave petunias I purchased should probably be taken out of it’s plastic pot.

- The Tablescaper

8 Stephanie @ Geezees May 24, 2010 at 9:53 am

I love hanging baskets but i need to get some ferns, they are so lovely!
Stephanie @ Geezees´s last blog ..Happy Anniversary NINE Years! My ComLuv Profile

9 Sheri May 24, 2010 at 10:10 am

I love ferns. I always want to add them to the front porch but haven’t done it yet. They just have such a “cooling effect”.

10 hip chick May 24, 2010 at 10:12 am

I have always loved ferns. I used to think of geraniums as an old lady plant but now I love them. You have inspired me to hang some near my front door. I wish I had a porch as the ones you have pictured look so pretty. But, one must make the best of what one has.
I hope to be an old lady one day also….but not very soon!

11 Calamity Anne May 24, 2010 at 10:15 am

I’ve tried ferns one too many times…and unfortunately, have come to the conclusion that they just can’t survive our Texas summers! By the way…I love the view from your home…so peaceful!
Calamity Anne´s last blog ..Jerk-Spiced Shrimp My ComLuv Profile

12 Emily@remodelingthislife May 24, 2010 at 10:16 am

Girl, next time tell me you are going shopping for ferns. I have more in my yard than I know what to do with. All my neighbors come dig them up when I am sleeping and hang them just like you have them and then act all innocent if I look at them sideways ;) I wonder what the post office would say if I tried to mail you a box full of honest to goodness southern grown ferns?
Emily@remodelingthislife´s last blog ..Cottage Dreaming My ComLuv Profile

13 Decorchick! May 24, 2010 at 10:25 am

I love ferns too, but am too lazy to water them so I haven’t bought any pretty plants this year. :(

14 Kelly | Purple Lemon Designs May 24, 2010 at 10:42 am

Your front porch is gorgeous year after year…The ferns are continue the tradition…Fabulous! :)

15 eunice May 24, 2010 at 11:09 am

I love ferns too , I have planted some in my front yard ! There are so many varieties ! Mine are perennial’s , I guess I have always thought of them as an old lady plant too ! But I am an old lady !!!! There frilly fronds are charming!
Eunice
The Little Things
eunice´s last blog ..yard work…gardening..plants ! My ComLuv Profile

16 Katie May 24, 2010 at 11:12 am

I have petunias because my daughter’s preschool sold them as fund raisers. Plus they are very sturdy plants that can take a lot, like someone who forgets to water them. I love the bright splash of color they give your back deck.

17 Amanda @ Serenity Now May 24, 2010 at 11:46 am

When we got new siding, the guys took down my hanging basket hooks, so I’ve made do with some new pots. I love the coconut liners!!

18 Jennifer May 24, 2010 at 11:51 am

I had never thought of ferns as old lady plants before! LOL Probably because I have long loved them! I have a few varieties and I am always on the lookout for more! :)
Jennifer´s last blog ..bloom My ComLuv Profile

19 Michele @ The Scrap Shoppe May 24, 2010 at 11:59 am

As a southerner I can appreciate your love for ferns! And I’m quite impressed that you even know what sweet tea is, much less can make it, too. I didn’t think anyone north of Kentucky had ever heard of it! I have 4 hanging baskets this year: geraniums I managed to winter from last year, columbine, something that’s purple and fabulous, and, my newest love, new guinea impatiens!
Michele @ The Scrap Shoppe´s last blog ..DIY Go To Chain Necklace My ComLuv Profile

20 Natural Mama May 24, 2010 at 12:10 pm

I got a beautiful one for Mother’s Day and I haven’t even thought to repot (that looks like re-po?) it. Thanks for the tip. I live in the South and I never thought of ferns being Southern…but you are right, *everyone* around here has ferns on their front porch.

Getting up to get a glass of sweet tea….!

21 Amy May 24, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I will admit, that I am not a fan of ferns either. Lucky for me, my entire side of our house is filled with them :) They are starting to grow on me though. Your baskets look beautiful! Way to bring back the fern, Kimba! ;)
Amy´s last blog ..Comfort Food: Homemade Spaghetti & Meatballs My ComLuv Profile

22 Susan May 24, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I just bought one of those lovely hanging baskets with the liner. I love it. Mine has ared geranium, white bacopa and a yellow petunia.

23 Jennifer May 24, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I love ferns, too! We usually get ours at Kroger, of all places. We’ve always ended up with big, gorgeous ones. I love the idea of using the wire hanging baskets w/the liner. Very pretty…and you’re right, so Southern….says the Mississippi girl. :)

24 Diane @ Perfectly Imperfect Life May 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Those look beautiful. I’ve always loved ferns and would love to hang some on our front porch, but I’ve always assumed it gets too much sun for them.

Those of you with ferns on your porches, do you have shady porches or do the ferns actually handle the sun OK?
Diane @ Perfectly Imperfect Life´s last blog ..Cleaning Grand Plan – Kitchen Recap My ComLuv Profile

25 tea May 24, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Always loved ferns. They remind me of when I was little and being at my Nana`s house :)

tea
xo
tea´s last blog ..Rest in Peace Precious Sweet Teddy……. My ComLuv Profile

26 Kim May 24, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Old lady plants!!! Too funny!!! I almost spit out my Pepsi on that one. I love ferns, but too hot here in So Cal to grow on my front porch.

27 Melissa Howard May 24, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I love ferns.
Melissa Howard´s last blog ..flowers from my yard and an announcement My ComLuv Profile

28 J May 24, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Ferns are so pretty I personally think.

29 Melanie May 24, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I love ferns. In Florida, they grew good for me and were really big. I live in a suburb of Cincy and all the ferns at Lowes, Home Depot etc. are small. The one on my front porch is kinda small and not looking very good. Yours are full and pretty.
Melanie´s last blog ..Onion Strings. My ComLuv Profile

30 Sarah @ Thriftydecorchick May 24, 2010 at 11:48 pm

“I hope to be one one day” — HA!!! Girl, you crack me up! I’m smitten with ferns too, but we have NO porch to hang them from! (Stomps feet.) Maybe I could hang some from our pergola thingy on the deck? Hmmm…

31 Angela May 28, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I adore ferns (swoon)!!!! I have some very very large ferns which hold up wonderful in the GA heat!!! They are a good staple and just look classic. I hear ya’ about the sweet tea! You go girl! Love old ladies and I think of lilac and baby powder , hope that I kick butt, wear bright red lipstick and sing out loud now and on until 99…Love your site. Take care :)

32 Sara June 2, 2010 at 5:00 am

I love ferns in baskets on the porch…but how do you keep them looking good?

33 Missy June 5, 2010 at 10:54 pm

I too am smitten with ferns! I don’t necessarily think of them as old lady plants….rather as Sophisticated and Distinguished! At 33…I refuse to believe in “old lady” plants yet! lol…

34 Southern Fried Gal June 7, 2010 at 11:11 am

Kimba – I don’t know how I missed this post. I’m glad you have come around on ferns. I’m obsessed with them and moss – a great combo by the way!

I have declared June Practice Hospitality month and have a weekly linky party. Today it’s all about how we greet our guests and this would be a lovely addition to the party. I greet my guests with ferns as well. They are happy little plants!

Have a blessed week!
Southern Fried Gal´s last blog ..Let’s Party! Practice Hospitality, Week 1 My ComLuv Profile