Dreaming of New Projects

by Kimba on May 10, 2010

in Do it yourself,Real Me

I’m a pretty simple girl. A card, a flower or coffee in bed would have made me happy on Mother’s Day morning. But I squealed like a school-girl when I saw this present waiting for me on the kitchen table instead.

It’s a Skil 7″ Wet Tile Saw!!!!! My boys know me so well. This baby will cut through tile like butter.

And I’m dreaming of all the thing that I can tile now, starting with the kitchen backsplash. I know exactly what I want to do and I can’t wait to get started. My poor man shuddered a little when I started shouting all of the things I want to tile…The shower! The basement entry! The back porch! The garage door! Kidding about that last one.

1 Becky May 10, 2010 at 9:13 am

Hi Kimba! LOVE your MD present. Last year I got a power tool for my birthday. But here is what I really wanted to tell you. I have a 71 yr old widowed aunt that has a shop all to herself. Her sons-in-law have outfitted her (through birthdays, mother’s days, and Christmases) with every kind of saw there is and all the tools to boot. She tiled her entire basement, framed it into 5 different room (herself!) and did a drop ceiling. She is my hero :) We finally convinced her to carry her cell phone in her pocket so that if she falls off a ladder she can call for help.

I can’t wait to see what you will do with this. So exciting!!

2 Kimba May 10, 2010 at 9:20 am

What an awesome story! Go, go Granny! Thanks for sharing!
Kimba´s last blog ..Dreaming of New Projects My ComLuv Profile

3 gail May 10, 2010 at 9:20 am

Kimba! what a great gift! :) Sounds like you had a great Mother’s day!
gail

4 cassie May 10, 2010 at 9:31 am

i am with you- what a fantastic gift!!! i used my dad’s drummel (not sure if i am spelling right) tool last week, and thought, “wow, i need one of these for my birthday!” tools are so fun and even better is that they keep on giving with all the projects you can use them for! Have fun!!

5 elz May 10, 2010 at 9:48 am

Love your present-your family really knows you! Can’t wait to see your new projects.
elz´s last blog ..An Ocean View My ComLuv Profile

6 Cathy May 10, 2010 at 9:51 am

Like your new wet tile saw. Several years ago I got a heavy duty jig saw and have loved it. Love the little notebooks Kelly made. Will have to order one for my Dad. He takes notes and writes all over the Sunday bulletin, so this will be perfect for Father’s Day!
Cathy´s last blog .."One Ingredient ‘Ice Cream’"! I Had to Try It to Believe It! And You Will, Too! My ComLuv Profile

7 Amanda @ Serenity Now May 10, 2010 at 9:59 am

Sounds like it was Christmas yesterday at your house. ;) Did your hubs plan that as a surprise, or did you tell him you wanted it? If he planned that on his own, I am very impressed! My Mother’s Day gift is somewhat unconventional, but I have to wait until later this morning to see if it works out….

8 Pati @ A Crafty Escape May 10, 2010 at 10:27 am

What a great gift… I love it when people put a lot of thought into what someone would want/love for a gift! I had a similar experience as my hubby and kids got me the Cricut machine I’ve wanted forever- yipee!
Pati @ A Crafty Escape´s last blog ..Little Boy Shorts My ComLuv Profile

9 Kristi Temple May 10, 2010 at 11:00 am

WOW! What an awesome gift! I am so coveting your new saw. Last Christmas, my husband’s parents were visiting and I opened my new nail gun and my father in law said, “Oh, it looks like that gift got tagged wrong.” My husband said, “No, Dad. That’s what she asked for.” He seemed upset that I wanted something so “masculine” but Iove my new toy and my new baseboards! When they were here in March for 2 of my boys birthdays, I had the table saw in the dining room and he asked my husband when he got the new saw and what projects he was working on and Michael said, “Oh, that’s Kristi’s. She and her father laid all this hardwood flooring and did all the new baseboards.” I love it when people are flustered by a lady with power tools!

Happy Mother’s Day to you!

10 Petie May 10, 2010 at 11:07 am

Great gift! Your family knows you well :) Love those journals…they would be great gifts. Going to check them out.

11 Tammy @ Not Just Paper and Glue May 10, 2010 at 11:25 am

Congratulations on your new saw! Isn’t it wonderful when your family knows exactly the gift that will make you happy lol The journals are beautiful as well. Looking forward to seeing those tile projects

12 randee May 10, 2010 at 11:46 am

kimba -

nice gift!

not only are those journals beautiful but they are moleskine, which are the BEST journals in the world.

have a great week -

13 mom2fur May 10, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I think it’s funny a girl who likes power tools calls her blog “A Soft Place to Land.” What an awesome Mother’s Day gift! Isn’t it great when the family knows what you really want? My kids gave me an iPod (Nano) and my husband took me out (with the kids, of course) to a seafood dinner. It was a great day.
Use your new toy in good health!

14 Traci May 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Kimba,
What a great gift! I love it.
Can’t wait to see what you do with it…
:) Traci

15 nicole May 10, 2010 at 3:42 pm

love the journals. Psalm 27 is my favorite. I might just have to do a little shopping. Lovely blog. I’m following now. :)

nicole visiting from

16 Melanie May 10, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Yeah! You had a great Mother’s Day!
Melanie´s last blog ..Getting To Know You. My ComLuv Profile

17 Mary Jean Taylor May 10, 2010 at 8:54 pm

You go girl with the wet saw!!! So excited for you! Can’t wait to follow all your projects!!!

My hubby surprised me with a fab pair of Dansko’s, cream and brown python! The mom shoe with some style!

I love Purple Lemon’s journals! I’m def getting one. I’ve ordered from her before and LOVE her stuff!!!

18 Condo Blues May 10, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I got an email from a company about giving power tools to mom for mother’s day. I was trying to convince my husband that means he should get me a compound miter saw because I am the mother of his dog. I got dog cuddles instead. That’s just as good if not better.
Condo Blues´s last blog ..Zestra Natural Nookie Giveaway! My ComLuv Profile

19 BLJGraves Studio May 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

Excellent Mother’s Day gift! Can’t wait to see all the projects you complete with your new toy. :-)