Curtains on the Porch

by Kimba on May 20, 2010

in decorating,In the Garden,Seasonal Projects

I love a well-decorated outdoor space. As soon as the weather gets warm, my attention heads outside and we spend as much time as possible out there.

We had a beautiful front porch at our old house that I finally decorated when we were trying to sell the house. I could have kicked myself for waiting so long to make the space beautiful.

Hanging curtains on the end of the porch created a cozy nook that felt like a real room. Fabric does wonders even in outdoor spaces.

We don’t have a front porch on our new house (sad face) so I added curtains to our back patio. We had just moved in when I took these pictures. It’s so nice to realize that we have grass and flowers where there was once bare earth. Progress!

This year I’m toying with some ideas for using trellis to create some more privacy on the back porch.

photo: BHG

I’m picturing something sort of like this with a flowering vine growing on it…maybe a Clematis or a Climbing Hydrangea.

As I was browsing around the web looking for inspiration, I came across some other great ideas:

An Outdoor Room: Adding Privacy @ The Design File
Creating a Cozy, Outdoor Space @ Nesting Place
Drop Cloth Drapes for the Patio @ Heather Bullard
Chain Link Fence Curtain Hardware @ BeachBrights

Do you have a porch? Do you decorate it for summer?

Have you seen the big list of giveaway winners that I posted earlier?

1 Michelle May 20, 2010 at 9:49 am

Do the trellis, that is fabulous!!

We have a screened in front porch that opens into the dining room wiht french doors. We spend half the summer with the doors open, my favorite is dinner or breakfast on the porch.
Michelle´s last blog ..Trains. My ComLuv Profile

2 Jessica @ This Blessed Life May 20, 2010 at 9:55 am

We have a mini-porch (hard to describe) but my dream is to have a gorgeous wrap-around porch someday! I would totally go with the trellis and start growing some gorgeous clematis vines. It would be stunning!

(Oh, and just to let you know, the link for Nesting Place takes you back to Design File.)

3 Lee E Van May 20, 2010 at 9:56 am

I like the curtains on your porch! That gives me an idea for my screened in porch. I was going to do valances – but maybe the panels similar to yours would be better. My question is – what kind of fabric for your curtains (or where did you get the curtains)? I assume they are exposed to the weather – they would need to be something that can get wet and will dry easily.

4 beth May 20, 2010 at 9:58 am

We have a pergola that we hung curtains from and we love it! When we sit out on our deck, we can pull all the curtains closed, and we have a little private outdoor sanctuary. Can’t wait until the weather gets warmer and we have all of our indoor projects done for the year (we should be done by Memorial Day weekend. Yay!!), then we will be out sitting on our deck all day and all evening long!! :)
I love your little porch! I think it would look so cute with the trellis! Climbing Hydrangea? Now that would be gorgeous!!
Hope you have a great day! Beth.

5 Denise@ DensDailyLife May 20, 2010 at 10:03 am

Your porches look beautiful. I am wanting to put curtains up on my back porch area too, I thought about weighing them down with something in the hem as it can get pretty windy on some days here. I also thought about drop cloths, thanks for the info on where you got yours, I will have to check out Walmart :-) Come say hi.
Hugs
Denise
Denise@ DensDailyLife´s last blog ..Taking the plunge. . . . .Woo Hoo! My ComLuv Profile

6 Tonia May 20, 2010 at 10:12 am

At the moment my porch is being used as a little workshop. Seeing these pictures make me want to hurry, finish with my projects and decorate it. I love the one with the trellis the most.

7 Lesley @ TheDesignFile May 20, 2010 at 10:24 am

Love the photos and thanks for the shout out of my blog. I appreciate that!
Lesley @ TheDesignFile´s last blog ..Above the mantel: An art collage My ComLuv Profile

8 Carissa May 20, 2010 at 11:01 am

Hey you! Glad you stopped by.. and even MORE impressed that you like my new blog design… you simply MUST visit the designer: http://dabbled.org Dot is amazing and she helps me all the time and she also started a foodie site @foodwhirl SRSLY this is a girl after my own heart a Mom of all trades… :)

In fact you should totally feature her foodie site sometime… okay enough pushing.. can you tell I love Dot?? :)

As for old… it’s true I am.. grrr.

AND!!! I just realized in our new house new backyard there are TONS of clematis growing. I swear it’s been a dream of mine for EVER to have a real life clematis vine!!! Photos…? Yes. coming. If spring ever comes… been so cold here!!

Okay enough… HI!!

9 eve May 20, 2010 at 11:27 am

Hi Kimba, First off I love your site. Secondly, I love this idea and now that we’re buying a house (and hopefully closing on it soon) I hope to implement it. I also have a question about board and batten. I know, I’m a little late, but I’m looking for ideas since we’ll be able to modify our new home. We have textured walls and was wondering what you would recommend if we wanted to board and batten the walls. I’m guessing we’d have to sand the texture down but really that’s just a guess. Any ideas?

10 Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage May 20, 2010 at 11:36 am

We built a small porch on the back of our house last year, and we LOVE it, but it does need some lovin’. Guess it’s time to break out the thinkin’ cap.

Can’t wait to see what you do!

11 Lori May 20, 2010 at 11:44 am

We were lucky enough to get to buy my husband’s grandmother’s 1920′s craftsman bungalo with a porch all along the front 2 years ago. I decorate it like it is another room in the house–because that’s the way we use it. We have room for a sitting area and a eating area. My teenage daughter loves it–she goes out there with her book and curls up on the loveseat and reads. We especially love it during the fall–when we host Friday night “get togethers” with our friends while our kids run across the street to the high school football games.

12 The lady of the House May 20, 2010 at 11:57 am

What great ideas here. We have a back carport that we use for our back patio – Our house was built in the 40s and of course I have all sorts of dreams of a garage but for now our cars are just parked here and there and it is a dream to use that carport as a back patio – gotta find beauty where you can right? I saw on Beach Brights how a gal had used chain link pipe for curtain rods and of course the drop clothes that are so cheap as curtains… totally considering that this year and I lof the trellis idea from this post. Thanks Kimba!

Happy Day, The lady

13 Traci May 20, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Kimba,
I am currently working on making curtains for my patio right now! :)
I bought some outdoor fabric on clearance today and I am trying to nail down the color scheme for my back patio. I have been posting about it for a couple of weeks, but now I need to get busy on making the curtains and pillows. I’m just dreading getting out the sewing machine!
I was going to use drop cloths but I am leaning toward maybe using a white sheet and adding a decorative edge with some coordinating fabric.
Thanks for the great links to other inspirational pictures!
Blessings,
Traci

14 From the Heart May 20, 2010 at 2:48 pm

We dont have a front porch *tear* but we have a back patio. Our project this summer is to extend the roof over the patio. Afternoons are sooooo hot and we have NO shade back there. I want to spend more time back there since my son LOVES being outside and our backyard is fenced in. thanks for sharing some great ideas!

15 Richella May 20, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I ADORE porches! Looking at these pictures makes me want to hop to it and get my own porches spruced up for the summer. I do change some of the decor with the seasons, and it makes such a difference!

Are you going to have a Garden Party again this year?
Richella´s last blog ..English teacher My ComLuv Profile

16 Amanda @ Serenity Now May 20, 2010 at 6:00 pm

I don’t have a porch, but I do have a deck. We’re slowly but surely furnishing it and I want it to be a place we can all enjoy and entertain on. :)

17 Melanie May 20, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I do have a small front porch and I bought some wicker rockers from Pier One that were expensive but that is what I wanted. I use plants and a pretty rug to decorate it. I would love to have a pretty rug.
Melanie´s last blog ..A Teenagers Bedroom My ComLuv Profile

18 Beachbrights May 20, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Thanks for the amazing shout-out! Love you…

XOXO

19 a woman who is May 21, 2010 at 3:40 am

Oh that does look yummy. I have a really high ceiling covered porch. Thinking maybe I could cozy it up a bit with some netting hanging over a sleeping couch…hmmm

20 Heather May 24, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Curtains are pretty and lattice is elegant, but I’m looking for something baseball proof – if that’s even possible!!! Twice now we have enjoyed the delicate twinkle of glass and the ‘OH MAN – OH NO!!!” of one little baseball loving boy … both on the side porch! The first was a light fixture, the second a glass door panel! Baseball proof it is!