This is not my bedroom. But I wish it were.
I’ll bet that a lot of you are just like me. You love having a pretty home but you focus all of your time, energy (and money!) on the rooms that company sees. Which means that your bedroom is neglected and way down on your list of priorities.
But if you’re married, you need a place where you and your man can retreat. Ahem. Your bedroom should be a sanctuary.
Do you mind if I get all bossy on you and give you some tips for turning your bedroom into a sanctuary? Because maybe if I start bossing you around, I’ll take my own advice and get my own bedroom santuary-ified.
- The bed. Before you spend one red cent on anything to prettify your boudoir, save those pennies and make sure you have a comfy bed. My man and I slept on a saggy, baggy mattress for well over 5 years. That’s not good for sleeping nor anything else. We finally broke down and bought a $499 memory foam mattress from Overstock.com. We put it on top of our existing box spring. Much better.
- The sheets. You need soft, comfy sheets. I like having 2 sets. One on the bed and one in the wash. But you can live with 1 set. I love TJ Maxx and Marshalls for great deals on nice, soft sheets.
- Get rid of the toys. If you have young kids, their toys seem to spontaneously multiply and invade every corner of your home. Even YOUR bedroom. Get ‘em outta there. Nothing ruins the romantic atmosphere of your bedroom more than stepping on matchbox cars and barbie dolls.
- Lamps, my friends. Lamps. Overhead lighting t’aint flattering to any part of you or me. ‘Nuff said.
- The TV. I don’t think it’s a secret that any marriage expert is going to tell you to get the TV out of your bedroom. It’s not good for encouraging sleep nor anything else in the bedroom. Ahem. But we have a TV in our bedroom and it’s staying because I like to fall asleep watching The Amazing Race…so I won’t tell you what to do with yours. All I can do is to encourage you to turn it off. Frequently.
So here’s the deal. Tomorrow, I’m going to show you the current state of things in my bedroom. Shudder. I’m sure some of you will be horrified by the undecorated condition of things in there. And some of you will think I’m a spoiled brat for not being happy with what I already have.
Then over the next couple of weeks, I’m going to share the changes that I’m making.
Are you with me? Good! Now go get the Legos and My Little Ponies out of your bedroom.