The Evolution of a Bedroom

by Kimba on April 21, 2010

in Do it yourself,Master Bedroom

Post image for The Evolution of a Bedroom

My Home Ideas

This is not my bedroom. But I wish it were.

I’ll bet that a lot of you are just like me. You love having a pretty home but you focus all of your time, energy (and money!) on the rooms that company sees. Which means that your bedroom is neglected and way down on your list of priorities.

But if you’re married, you need a place where you and your man can retreat. Ahem. Your bedroom should be a sanctuary.

Country Living

Do you mind if I get all bossy on you and give you some tips for turning your bedroom into a sanctuary? Because maybe if I start bossing you around, I’ll take my own advice and get my own bedroom santuary-ified.

1. The bed. Before you spend one red cent on anything to prettify your boudoir, save those pennies and make sure you have a comfy bed. My man and I slept on a saggy, baggy mattress for well over 5 years. That’s not good for sleeping nor anything else. We finally broke down and bought a $499 memory foam mattress from Overstock.com. We put it on top of our existing box spring. Much better.
  2. The sheets. You need soft, comfy sheets. I like having 2 sets. One on the bed and one in the wash. But you can live with 1 set. I love TJ Maxx and Marshalls for great deals on nice, soft sheets.
  3. Get rid of the toys. If you have young kids, their toys seem to spontaneously multiply and invade every corner of your home. Even YOUR bedroom. Get ‘em outta there. Nothing ruins the romantic atmosphere of your bedroom more than stepping on matchbox cars and barbie dolls.
  4. Lamps, my friends. Lamps. Overhead lighting t’aint flattering to any part of you or me. ‘Nuff said.
  5. The TV. I don’t think it’s a secret that any marriage expert is going to tell you to get the TV out of your bedroom. It’s not good for encouraging sleep nor anything else in the bedroom. Ahem. But we have a TV in our bedroom and it’s staying because I like to fall asleep watching The Amazing Race…so I won’t tell you what to do with yours. All I can do is to encourage you to turn it off. Frequently.

So here’s the deal. Tomorrow, I’m going to show you the current state of things in my bedroom. Shudder. I’m sure some of you will be horrified by the undecorated condition of things in there. And some of you will think I’m a spoiled brat for not being happy with what I already have.

Then over the next couple of weeks, I’m going to share the changes that I’m making.

Are you with me? Good!  Now go get the Legos and My Little Ponies out of your bedroom.

1 Stephanie @ Geezees April 21, 2010 at 8:21 am

Great advice! Love all the tips.
Stephanie @ Geezees´s last blog ..Inspirational Wall Art Subway Style – Vote! My ComLuv Profile

2 Richella April 21, 2010 at 8:48 am

Good for you! Your tips are all good ones, so you go right ahead and be bossy. I look forward to seeing your bedroom and its journey to sanctuary.
Richella´s last blog ..Overwhelmed with gratitude My ComLuv Profile

3 Kelli April 21, 2010 at 8:53 am

I have followed most of those tips…I really just wish my bedroom seemed more put together. The decorating is little blah!
Kelli´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: A Work in Progress & A Decorating Dilemma My ComLuv Profile

4 Michelle April 21, 2010 at 9:02 am

I can’t WAIT to see this one! And that first pic is GORGEOUS, I would love to live in that room!
Michelle´s last blog ..34 Random {ish} Acts of Kindness Birthday My ComLuv Profile

5 Ashley April 21, 2010 at 9:02 am

We just moved and so I am still working on the bedroom, well, I haven;t actually started it yet. But I have always tried to make it a sanctuary. With the move, I am hoping to give my room a total makeover. I am at Tuesday Morning alot! :)

Oh, and BTW, It is exactly the Legos and My Little Ponies I find in my bedroom. The hubby just stepped on one last night! lol :)
Ashley´s last blog ..65 To Go and Counting::10for400 My ComLuv Profile

6 Jennifer Juniper April 21, 2010 at 9:04 am

It’s funny you wrote this post now. I have been working on the downstairs of our home since we moved in 5 years ago. I have done nothing in our room but purchase curtains that are too short and a comforter. I was standing in there this weekend disgusted with myself.

I’m loving the white trend I’m seeing in decorating and it’s just not doable in the rest of my house with 3 boys…but maybe the bedroom? My plan is to work on mine this summer so I’ll be watching you for tips and inspiration!
Jennifer Juniper´s last blog ..Easy T-Shirt Necklace Tutorial My ComLuv Profile

7 Sandra April 21, 2010 at 9:24 am

Our bedroom is on the redo list for ages now and because I just can`t decide on a color palette I left it like it is…all white. Although I really like the calm and relaxing feeling this creates I would love to add some ideas to “tune” it up! So this comes in handy for me and I`m looking forward for inspirations…

8 LISA April 21, 2010 at 10:01 am

Hi Kimba, thanks for sharing but I must point out to you. Being married has nothing to do with creating a bedroom that is a sanctuary. Even those of us that are single right now, especially single moms (like me) need a place to get away too. Looking forward to seeing what changes are coming to your room.
Thanks,
Lisa

9 Kimba April 21, 2010 at 10:05 am

Lisa,

You’re totally right! Single gals…ESPECIALLY single mamas need a place to retreat and relax. Your bedroom needs to be a sanctuary too.

Kimba

10 Sara @ Russet Street Reno April 21, 2010 at 10:02 am

I must have 12 sets of awesome sheets. Mostly because I love fresh sheets on the bed but HATE washing the ‘dirty’ ones. HA!

Your tips are right on. I’m looking forward to your sanctuary pics!

11 elz April 21, 2010 at 10:04 am

I just posted about phase 1 of our bedroom makeover earlier this week! http://elzabelz.blogspot.com/2010/04/bedroom-makeover-phase-1.html

I agree that most of us decorate the rest of the house first. Why? We should create an inviting space for us to retreat to as a couple. And, I agree with you-the tv stays. My husband watches History of the Gun and hunting shows, not GLEE and Project Runway. We call our bedroom tv the “Marriage Saver 9000″ b/c now there is no fighting over programs.

12 suzanne April 21, 2010 at 10:17 am

Kimba, great tips. For me, it’s not Legos and Little ponies, it’s all the extra crap that ends up in my bedroom that either hasn’t been put away or thrown away. It indeed should be a sanctuary! I have been wanting to redo mine for some time now, but it just seems overwhelming. I need your tips, so good ahead and be bossy, girl. I’ll be watching for inspiration!
Thanks!
Suzanne
suzanne´s last blog ..Tuesday’s terrific randomness! My ComLuv Profile

13 Karena April 21, 2010 at 11:17 am

Kimba you are so right the master should be an absolute refuge, comfy serene sensual!!

Karena
Art by Karena
Karena´s last blog ..Signature Canvas, Made in the USA My ComLuv Profile

14 Debra April 21, 2010 at 11:17 am

Kimba, Great advice! Tomorrow(thursday), I’m having a Parade of Bedrooms link up. PLEASE come on over and link up with your bedroom post.

I’ve been trying to get a lighter feel in our bedroom but it’s a slow process….I’ve lost my inspiration and am trying to get it back!
Debra´s last blog ..Flirty Aprons for Mother’s day. My ComLuv Profile

15 the BLAH BLAH BLAHger April 21, 2010 at 11:33 am

I actually have invested in a purty bedroom, because in my tiny shoebox of a home, my ONE bathroom is through MY bedroom. It’s less than ideal, and insures that I have it clean whenever guests are over…but I’m SO over it. ; )

16 Scargosun April 21, 2010 at 11:34 am

Oh, ho ho don’t even think yours will be worse than mine. We have been waiting for a corner armiore we ordered 5 MONTHS AGO. Grrr
Scargosun´s last blog ..Re Cap Deadliest Catch – Breakin’ Em In My ComLuv Profile

17 Gina April 21, 2010 at 11:40 am

I love this! We recently redid our master bedroom and I can’t tell you the difference it has made. It’s so relaxing and clutter free, and has a bit of romance too. It’s wonderful!

18 Kim April 21, 2010 at 11:43 am

I want a bedroom like the pics, too.

Sigh.

19 Liz April 21, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Great tips. For some reason our bedroom has become an after thought and its not a sanctuary of peace by any means. Mostly we both just fall on the bed and start snoring as soon as we walk into the room.

20 Beq April 21, 2010 at 12:33 pm

Ta’

Beq
Beq´s last blog ..The Blue Gown!!! My ComLuv Profile

21 Abbie April 21, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Amazingly, I already have all those! (Except lamps because there are built in wall sconce lights that are really nice. And flattering! *wink*)

BUT. It is wallpapered in something I wouldn’t choose and clashes with the bedding I have and LOVE. So, I’m almost done picking a paint color and working up my enthusiasm to remove wallpaper and paint. Then I’ll add curtains and “artwork” of some type.

I have to wait a little b/c I have small children and need a babysitter to get any of it done so I’m waiting for school to get out! Until then I’ll just keep it uncluttered, toy-free and the bed made!
(Wow, too long of a comment!)
Abbie´s last blog ..Tulips My ComLuv Profile

22 Susan April 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm

Great tips! :) The bedroom was one of the last rooms I’ve tackled since we moved. I wanted all the common spaces to look nice first. But I wish we had done it sooner–it is really nice to have a nice calming space to relax in!

23 Jessica April 21, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I’m excited to see! Our bedroom still looks like we’re moving in and we’ve been here for 9 months!
Jessica´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday: Uh-oh My ComLuv Profile

24 April Driggers April 21, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I have to laugh at this because this is JUST WHERE my bedroom is right now. I ripped up all the carpet in my bedroom thinking I’d get stained concrete. Then changed my mind to hardwoods. Then I changed my mind again to carpet….and after seeing the price tag am undecided so I have EXPOSED CONCRETE FLOORS in my room!!! UGH! Now, I just had a baby so disrupting my entire life for something so superficial really CAN wait (for now) but man alive is it UUUUUUUGLY!

I will say that I hate our bed (mattress). My husband loves it but, to me, it sags a bit. He doesn’t see it but??? hopefully one day we’ll get a sleep number bed so I can have firm and he can have soft.

We DID just get new sheets and they’re WONDERFUL so YEA! I get to check one off your list! :)

I am HUGE on getting all things “kid” out of my room so there are NO TOYS in there. I do have a co-sleeper, monitor, changing table — ha ha…so for now, it’s hopeless!

We have two lamps and love them… YEA… another check!

And, the dreaded television. For the most part, I can do without the tv in the room. However, I NEED somethign to do for those 2am feedings. My husband LOVES to fall asleep to the television, too. I hate it but it’s something we totally compromised on. I put it in a beautiful wall unit/entertainment center and shut the doors. I usually “win” however if I just want it off. :) (He goes upstairs to his “man cave”)
April Driggers´s last blog ..Springtime in Texas My ComLuv Profile

25 Audra Lynn April 21, 2010 at 2:55 pm

*sigh* So true.

26 Gretchen April 21, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Great minds think alike. Check this out:

27 Stacey April 21, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I’m so glad I stopped by. I have had my master bedroom on my to do list for a while. Other rooms keep getting bumped up to the #1 priority position. But I”m determined to do it. Glad to know that it is on your list too!

Thanks,
Stacey

28 Shel April 21, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Gulp. Uhm, yes, this IS the last room/area I have slated for a redo. . . The legos and Little Ponies are out of there, just got to get my husband to get his military crap and paper out! *sigh* Can’t wait to see what you do.
Shel´s last blog ..Outdoor lights remix My ComLuv Profile

29 Iowamom April 21, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I can’t wait to see the changes! Hubby and I have never put any effort/time/money into our master bedroom. After 13 years of marriage I told him it’s time. I bought new bedding, picked out a new paint color and the carpet samples have been looked at. We’re timing it just right so we don’t go broke doing it but it’s going to happen! I’m so excited and look forward to being able to leave my bedroom door open so people can peek in! :)

30 Angela Mills April 21, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I am REALLY excited about this! I need to see what you do and hopefully get inspired!
Angela Mills´s last blog ..A few funny things from Parker… My ComLuv Profile

31 SJN April 21, 2010 at 7:19 pm

no TV in our bedroom and happily married for 32 years this May.
SJN´s last blog ..Adding color to the outdoors… My ComLuv Profile

32 Annelise Wilcox April 21, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Now that my husband is deployed I have started to spend more time in the bedroom other than sleeping. I still have children that find their way to my room but because it is usually orderly, they don’t play in there. My problem is getting the laundry away and the papers out of there.

33 Pink and Polka Dot April 21, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Boss away girl! Soooo…if you’re going to show your’s, I might show mine! You should have a linky party of everyone showing there bedrooms! Mine is the freakin” ugliest pea green. I can’t stand it and it’s kinda become the laundry room! Ack!

34 Bromeliad April 21, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Love the examples you chose. I totally agree with you that bedrooms should be serene – and TV-less. My bedroom is my favorite room in the house.

35 Sarah April 21, 2010 at 10:15 pm

After staying at a beach house in Dauphin Island that had memory foam beds…yes, it was as close to heaven as you can get…we bought our daughter a topper at Sam’s…it is wonderful!!! And she can take it to college with her in the fall easily!

Now I need one!

36 Amanda @ Serenity Now April 21, 2010 at 11:17 pm

My bedroom would probably give anyone the heeby geebies…it’s awful. I need to work on it so badly. BUT, I am married to a man who manages a mattress store. He knows everything there is to know about mattresses. (He started working at the store when he was 15 and worked his way through college there too.) So now I know a lot about mattresses. ;) We have an adjustable bed with a latex mattress, and I LURVE it. Being able to raise the head and feet up and down when I was pg was the best! And latex mattresses last for 15+ years, so we’re set for awhile. So having a good mattress is really really important!!

37 Jessica Rosario April 22, 2010 at 12:12 am

There’s no problem with getting bossy ;) I believe the room should be a haven. I really strive for that. I do need some help with decorating ideas. My room is a bit plain. looking forward to seeing you recreate a room :)

38 Amanda April 22, 2010 at 12:31 am

GREAT tips!! And, I’m proud to say that we did all those things years ago, but so many of my friends make each mistake you listed.

LOVE the pale green room. That will be my next bedroom color.

39 Michelle April 22, 2010 at 4:35 am

Useful tips….Lovely post….

40 Katie April 22, 2010 at 8:39 am

I can say that after growing up with a mom “addicted” to TV, escaping into her bedroom and not answering the door to watch TV, seeing my parents sit silently watching TV more nights than I think is healthy, I am so totally against TV’s in the bedroom. I’ve worked hard to make my bedroom a sanctuary for Hubby and I to grow as a couple. One TV and only the free channels is enough for us.

Oh, I guess that hit a nerve. :)

41 Meg/Brassy Apple April 22, 2010 at 2:18 pm

raising my hand! The house always gets all the attention and the master bedroom has never been decorated to where it should be.

thanks for the tips and the push to change it. Perfect time too! We are moving in a couple of weeks – new house, new set up, new master bedroom! :)

42 AmyKay April 26, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I’m a semi-regular lurker here, and I will forever be in your debt! I’m breaking my silence to let you know that I just scored an amazing deal on a Memory foam mattress form Overstock.com – 10 in. Queen-size ANTIBACTERIAL Silver treated, after the shipping(can I say that 2.95 is RIDICULOUS) and the 5% discount, total price $338.29!!!!! AND it’s guaranteed to be delivered by 5/8 – I’m so excited I could cry! Thanks SO much for the tip!