How I Love Thee MirrorMate

by Kimba on April 19, 2010

in Do it yourself,Sponsors

When the folks at MirrorMate asked me if I would like to try out their custom-made mirror frames in my home, it felt like destiny. I had already been browsing their website for weeks dreaming of transforming our vast-expanses of builder-grade bathroom mirrors.

I’ve been planning to update our bathroom mirrors since the day we moved into this house, but I just haven’t gotten around to it. MirrorMate came to my rescue!

The whole process couldn’t have been easier. A big, long box arrived on my doorstep with the color and style of frame that I chose from the MirrorMate website. You can request samples before ordering so you know exactly what you’re getting. Each piece of the frame was wrapped in bubble wrap and there was a small baggie of supplies that you need to assemble the frame.

Assembly is super easy. You start by gluing the frame together.

And then you use a mallet or hammer to pound in the little corner connector pieces.

Then you flip the whole thing over and clean up any glue that smooshed through to the front.

Now you wait. For an hour. The longest hour ever. I wanted to hang my frame!

Then you install the frame directly on top of your exiting mirror using these little placement corners to help with positioning.

Peel off the backing from the sticky strips that are already on the back of the frame.

Give it a good push against the mirror and you’re done! For real! DONE! In less than 2 hours and that included an hour for the glue to dry!

I am so in love with my MirrorMate frame. It has totally transformed the look of this bathroom. The style that I chose was the Acadia in White because it worked so beautifully with the white cabinets we have. But MirrorMate has a huge selection of styles and colors to choose from.

I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of the MirrorMate frames and ease of installation. In less than 2 hours, I got a totally custom look for my bathroom. LOVE IT!

And to make it even better, MirrorMate is offering my readers 15% off any frame through December 2010. Just use the code HOUSE when you check out to receive your discount. Everyone who has seen my new bathroom mirror in person wants one for themselves.

What’s that? You want to see another picture? Can do!

Disclosure: MirrorMate provided this product to me at no charge for the purposes of this review.

1 Stonefox April 19, 2010 at 8:20 am

Didn’t realize how much I need that until I saw this :) Love it!!

2 Musings of a Housewife April 19, 2010 at 8:25 am

That is BRILLIANT. I hate my builder grade mirrors. Off to peruse the site…

3 Jennifer Juniper April 19, 2010 at 8:31 am

I have seen many tutorials for framed mirror DIY’s, but how easy can you get? I love how easy it seemed and it looks great! Great find :)
Jennifer Juniper´s last blog ..Easy T-Shirt Necklace Tutorial My ComLuv Profile

4 Katie@Yoga Gal April 19, 2010 at 8:38 am

O.M.G.

I wish that I had known about this when I tried to frame our mirror slab in our previous house. It was a disaster of epic proportions- glue everywhere, and when I removed the glue, I removed the top layer of something which left the mirror foggy forevermore! It was terrible. Sending this post to my mom (who also has slabs)! :D

5 Kimba April 19, 2010 at 3:07 pm

Too funny, Katie! You’re a walking ad for Mihttp://asoftplace.net/2010/04/how-i-love-thee-mirrormate/#respondrrorMate!

6 Tammy@InStitches April 19, 2010 at 8:52 am

I have a mirror that could use some mirror mate. Glad to hear it was so easy.
Tammy@InStitches´s last blog ..Thrift to Treasure My ComLuv Profile

7 marsha April 19, 2010 at 8:56 am

Looks wonderful! I’ve been meaning to do something like that for years! I’ll have to try it out.

8 Laura April 19, 2010 at 10:06 am

I’m intrigued. And I want one. Thanks for the discount code! We have a huge mirror in our upstairs bathroom that is in desperate need of a spruce-up.
Laura´s last blog ..Menu Plan Monday: 4/19/10 My ComLuv Profile

9 Scargosun April 19, 2010 at 10:13 am

That is too cool! I wish I had a mirror I could do this with but I WILL remember it. :)
Scargosun´s last blog ..Dear Neighbors My ComLuv Profile

10 Katie Mc April 19, 2010 at 10:20 am

I need need need that! Nice big mirrors in bathroom but ugly as all get out. Heading over to the site right now.

11 Michelle April 19, 2010 at 10:21 am

We’re doing a mini bathroom makeover at my dad’s… I’m pretty sure this would be awesome there. Thanks!
Michelle´s last blog ..34 Random {ish} Acts of Kindness Birthday My ComLuv Profile

12 Sandy April 19, 2010 at 10:48 am

How simple and brilliant! I may have to do this in our upstairs bath.

Pix look great! You’re a cutie, too, always fun to see YOU in the pix!

Love, S

13 Melanie April 19, 2010 at 11:06 am

Centsational Girl showed us one at her house that she did. It’s a great idea but I always buy mirrors for our home for the bathrooms. BUT, I have built two within the last 3 yrs. so I don’t stay anywhere long enough to have an older home with the standard mirrors. LOL! This is a wonderful product.
Melanie´s last blog ..A Week in the Life. My ComLuv Profile

14 Kat April 19, 2010 at 11:20 am

I seriously want to do this!

15 the BLAH BLAH BLAHger April 19, 2010 at 11:24 am

I want one of those!!!

16 Condo Blues April 19, 2010 at 11:43 am

So it’s real wood instead of cheap plastic? I tried a simple to install crown molding an a room. It was made of cheap plastic and looked terrible even when I painted it. I’ve been scared to try anything else I can’t see in person.
Condo Blues´s last blog ..Porch Table Revamp My ComLuv Profile

17 Amy April 19, 2010 at 3:00 pm

The frames are all made of MDF or wood – very nice quality. You can order samples at http://www.mirrormate.com if you’d like to check them out ahead of time.

18 Kimba April 19, 2010 at 3:09 pm

The one in this post is MDF and it’s beautiful. I actually prefer that for a bathroom where there’s lots of steam.

19 Stephanie April 19, 2010 at 11:46 am

I saw this idea recently somewhere else. Now I know where to order from instead of trying to figure it out myself!

20 Marie April 19, 2010 at 11:55 am

Hello sweet Kimba – I love this! I have huge builder mirrors in my bathrooms that run the entire length of the bathroom wall with no space in between the mirror and the wall to frame it. I’ve tried hanging frames over the mirror like Nester has done, to give it some character…but I really like the idea of framing the entire mirror like you did. Oh dear, I need the mirror mate!

Thank you for sharing.

Blessings,
Marie
Marie´s last blog ..trash to treasure My ComLuv Profile

21 Michelle@Everyday Celebrating April 19, 2010 at 12:05 pm

omg! LOVE IT! I was just thinking this weekend that I wanted to put frames around our mirrors but wasn’t sure I wanted to tackle it myself. So thrilled to hear there’s a product!

22 Susan April 19, 2010 at 1:00 pm

I love this. I saw someone doing this but I didn’t know you could buy a kit. We have exactly the same mirror set up. Oh boy, doing the happy dance.

23 Kimba April 19, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I know! This product makes me smack my head and say “Now why didn’t I think of that?”

I’m glad someone did!

24 Amanda @ Serenity Now April 19, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Yours looks great! I saw that for the first time over at Kate’s and thought it was such a wonderful idea. We have teeny tiny 1970s bathrooms, but my mom’s big house could use a few of these. :)

25 Linda April 19, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I’ve seen other ads and have thought about ordering from MirrorMate myself. Your new mirror looks great!

I’ve wondered about how the frame sits over the mirror support pieces that keep the mirror on the wall. Do those little supports make the frame stick out from the mirror too far. It doesn’t look like it in your pictures but those supports do stick out a bit. I’m just curious before I spend the money buying the kit. Thanks!

26 Amy April 19, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Hi Linda – I just wanted to answer you on behalf of MirrorMate. MirrorMate frames have a channel in the back to allow room for the mirror clips. The frame just then adheres directly to the glass. If the clips you have are too big, you just switch them out for the ones MirrorMate sends with your frame. You can email ellen@mirrormate.com for any specific questions you may have. Hope that helps!

27 Janet April 19, 2010 at 3:22 pm

What a great product. Takes bathroom mirrors to a whole new level.
Janet´s last blog ..Menu Plan Monday 4/19 My ComLuv Profile

28 gillian April 19, 2010 at 3:59 pm

WOW! What a difference a frame can make!!!

29 Tracey April 19, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I am totally jealous–we have two mirrors that NEED mates!

30 Carmen April 19, 2010 at 5:14 pm

It looks wonderful! SO much better! Builder grade mirrors are so boring. I love the white especially.
Carmen´s last blog ..My Son My ComLuv Profile

31 Shel @ Dreamy Nest? April 19, 2010 at 6:16 pm

OHhhh – this is gorgeous! We’re just about to redo our kids bath and I plan on doing something with the builder-grade mirror. This would be perfect! Love this!
Shel @ Dreamy Nest?´s last blog ..Wood bowl and mirror tutorial My ComLuv Profile

32 summer April 19, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Beautiful! I love it!!!

33 Stephanie Lynn April 19, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I love the frame you picked! Beautiful! We have a few builder mirrors and I bought molding to go around …of course the molding is still sitting in the basement! I need to check these guys out! Thanks Kimba for the review!
Stephanie Lynn´s last blog ..Recycled Plastic Bag Wreath {Earth Day Project} My ComLuv Profile

34 Morgan April 19, 2010 at 9:07 pm

WOW! This turned out great Kimba!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Morgan´s last blog ..First Time For Everything…Right? My ComLuv Profile

35 grannyann April 19, 2010 at 9:13 pm

boy that sure made a difference!!! how neat
grannyann´s last blog ..Weekend Wisdom My ComLuv Profile

36 Valerie @ itsonly100pounds April 20, 2010 at 1:12 pm

The frame looks great. I like the frame you picked.

37 Amber April 21, 2010 at 1:03 am

The frame made a HUGE difference! It changed the whole character of your bathroom vanity area. It added such a fresh, crisp touch to your bathroom.