Glorious (and HEAVY) Tile Artwork

by Kimba on April 28, 2010

in Artwork,Do it yourself

I just have to share the latest addition to my family room. It was an easy DIY art project and the results make me clap and squeal. I’m writing a tutorial, but I couldn’t wait another minute to show you the finished results. Tutorial tomorrow.

The back wall of my family room is big and it needs big artwork. For the winter, I had a beautiful canvas photograph of a winter scene. But it couldn’t stay through spring and summer. So I needed a thrifty idea for a BIG piece of artwork.

I was inspired by a piece of artwork in the background of a picture in a Pottery Barn Christmas catalog. Do you do that? Sometimes the best ideas come from the things that aren’t for sale.

One day as I was wandering through The Home Depot, I came across this pretty ceramic tile and I knew it would be perfect for my project. It was $2.50 for each 12″x12″ tile, so it was perfect and cheap. Two of my favorite things. I wanted the artwork to be 36″x36″, so I needed 9 tiles total.

It would have been awesome to use some stunning glass tile, but at $9.50/square foot (minimum), that was way too spendy for me.

If you know how to lay ceramic tile, then you can do this project. If not, I’ll show you tomorrow. It really was easy…and good practice for a real tiling project I have in mind. The tile is mounted onto a piece of plywood, so the finished artwork is HEAVY.

I love how it looks against the board and batten walls that we did last fall. And if you’re looking for info on that black dresser, it was a Goodwill rehab.

This artwork was exactly what the family room needed. Stay tuned tomorrow when I’ll give you the blow-by-blow details.

~~~~~~~~~~

Update! The winner of LAST’S weeks DIY Day with Homemade Gourmet is Kathryn from I Can Find the Time. Huge thank you to Jen from Balancing Beauty and Bedlam for sponsoring DIY Day last week!

You can still link up to DIY Day this week to be entered for 1 of 5 (!!!) gift cards from The Home Depot!

1 Emily@remodelingthislife April 28, 2010 at 9:20 am

It’s beautiful, Kimba! And dare I say looks really easy!
Emily@remodelingthislife´s last blog ..A Day in This Life My ComLuv Profile

2 Meg/Brassy Apple April 28, 2010 at 9:32 am

lovely!!!

3 Myra @ My Blessed Life April 28, 2010 at 9:33 am

Wow, gorgeous! I love it and can’t wait for the tutorial! ;)

4 Angela April 28, 2010 at 9:37 am

Oh I love it and just so happens I bought an entire case of tile very similar to this a month or so ago! Excellent project!
Angela´s last blog ..Seriously? My ComLuv Profile

5 Jenilee April 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

I love this! It would be perfect on this ledge we have in our living room. what a great idea!

6 Creative Decor by Brooke April 28, 2010 at 9:46 am

I think that looks so rich! I love it!
Brooke

7 Marla April 28, 2010 at 10:04 am

I love the simplicity of this project. Classy.

8 Infarrantly Creative April 28, 2010 at 10:16 am

I love it Kimba. That is an inexpensive way to add art. You got me thinking girl.

9 Sandy April 28, 2010 at 10:37 am

Good job Kimba! Always fun to see what you are up to!

10 Petie April 28, 2010 at 10:41 am

Nice job! Looking forward to the tutorial. Don’t you love the Pottery Barn for great inspiration!!!

11 Chris April 28, 2010 at 10:42 am

Absolutely brilliant! I’m dying to go to Lowes now! Can’t wait for the tutorial.

12 Kendra @ My First Kitchen April 28, 2010 at 11:28 am

Super cute, Kimba. And do I see IKEA planters on that lovely black dresser? I have those in my office. Sadly, the plants in them are dead. I think me and my black thumb just need to stick with fake and be done with it.

13 Mrs T April 28, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I know that tile! We bought it and remodeled our guest bath with it last yr. Now I have another idea of what I can use the extra crate of tiles I have besides redoing the sink area….someday.
Mrs T´s last blog ..The Truth about the Flu Shot My ComLuv Profile

14 Debbie April 28, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Can’t wait for the tutorial! I have a ton of leftover tile that looks identical from our bathroom redo. I’ve been holding on to it because I knew the perfect project would come around. This may be it! Thanks for sharing. It’s beautiful!

15 Wendy April 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm

No idea where I would put something like this, but I.LOVE.IT! We just ripped out some subflooring, so I have some extra wood laying around. I think a project is in order!

16 Amanda @ Serenity Now April 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Looks great, Kimba! Can’t wait to see how you put it together. :)

17 the BLAH BLAH BLAHger April 28, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I like it! Good stuff, Kimba!

18 MarytheKay April 28, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Ooh, I can’t wait for the tile tutorial! I have always wanted to learn how… I even have a bathroom that has been waiting to be tiled for years. I LOVE your idea to use it as artwork!!!

19 summer April 28, 2010 at 3:03 pm

Love it, Kimba! Brilliant!

20 Amy at The Red Chair Blog April 28, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Love it, Kimba! And I was relieved (for the sake of your sanity) to read that the project involved 9 large tiles and not 8,500 little tiles :)
Amy at The Red Chair Blog´s last blog ..Copy Cat: Look-Alikes for Less My ComLuv Profile

21 Jennifer April 28, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Love it! That is gorgeous. It also caught my eye in the magazine. Can’t wait to see the tutorial… I may just have another project to add to my list! ;)
Jennifer´s last blog ..run! My ComLuv Profile

22 Shelle April 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Finally got a chance to come back and comment. I LOVE this idea – and it looks awesome!
Shelle´s last blog ..Kid’s Bathroom Reno – Day 2 My ComLuv Profile

23 rory April 28, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Hi There,
I would like to provide a link to your great party in my Link Party Directory at Tools Are For Women Too! I am glad to do this for followers of my blog if they will link up to my party as well called, Modern Craftswoman Monday . Please let me know if you are interested. I can be emailed at toolsr4women2@gmail.com if needed. Have a great day! Rory

24 Elise April 28, 2010 at 8:06 pm

I love it!! Such a simple idea but has a huge impact!
Elise´s last blog ..Cheese My ComLuv Profile

25 Melanie April 28, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I can’t was to see the project tomorrow. It looks great!
Melanie´s last blog ..My Photography Class My ComLuv Profile

26 Morgan April 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm

This is too cute!!

~Morgan

Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Meet Virginia!
Morgan´s last blog ..Link Parties! My ComLuv Profile

27 Richella April 29, 2010 at 8:53 am

Kimba! This is GREAT! It looks wonderful, and it’s just the right size. You’re so clever! No wonder this made you clap your hands!
Richella´s last blog ..English teacher My ComLuv Profile

28 beth April 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

Oh Kimba, it’s lovely! You did such a great job! It looks EXACTLY like the one you saw in the PB catalog. Beautiful! :)

29 Lorie April 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Oh! I wonder if I can hide the hideous kitchen backsplash in my rental with something like this…Hmmmmm.
Lorie´s last blog ..Grilled Cheese with a Shot of Tomato Soup and a S’more Cone My ComLuv Profile

30 Crystal April 30, 2010 at 10:16 am

I love this! I’ve been wanting to do a tile project of my own.
Crystal´s last blog ..Pregnancy Update 38 Weeks My ComLuv Profile

31 Julia April 30, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Well, this is just way cool! Love this idea, Kimba–it looks really great!
Julia ´s last blog ..Before & After: A White Kitchen Gets a Colorful Makeover My ComLuv Profile

32 Claire April 30, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Hi Kimba,

I just recently stumbled across your website and love it! I am in love with this project and can’t wait for the tutorial so I can try out myself!!

thanks!