Decorating Above Doors and Windows

by Kimba on April 23, 2010

in decorating,OpenSky

I was looking around my home the other day and I realized how often I hang stuff above my doors and windows. It’s not some crazy compulsion where I’ve filled up every other square inch of wall space. I just like to hang stuff above other stuff. Deep thoughts with Kimba.

Like this pretty piece of ironwork above my kitchen window. Yes, my potted plant is wearing sunglasses. What of it?

I adore this vinyl decal that hangs over the door to the playroom. I dream that it will be an office someday. But for now it’s a playroom. The decal pretty much sums up what I want to create for my family at home. If you love it too, you can get one in my OpenSky shop.

And these white plates hanging above the sliding glass door. Please try and ignore the Sanford & Son junkyard that is my backyard right now. Kids and big plastic toys. Can’t escape ‘em.

I love having this reminder above the door in my kitchen. I need reminding of the important things. You can snag this one my OpenSky shop too.

Do you hang things above your doors and windows?

1 Tonya April 23, 2010 at 8:51 am

I wish I had enough space above my windows and doors! We have such low ceilings that it’s not possible. Love the plates!
Tonya´s last blog ..Friday Fill-Ins {April 23} My ComLuv Profile

2 sara@augusfields April 23, 2010 at 8:57 am

kimba, i too decorate above doorways. i have the same metal scroll you do but i lightly spray painted it HW last summer…i also have a wooden sign the has “as for me and my house we will serve the Lord” above another door and the verse “be still and know i am God” above another! :)

your plates look cute :)

3 Kelli April 23, 2010 at 8:57 am

We don’t have anything over any of our doors, but I really want to add something in my living room. We have high ceilings, so there is a lot space over the doorways…now I just have to talk my hubby into it:)
Kelli´s last blog ..Going a Little Green My ComLuv Profile

4 Turley Times April 23, 2010 at 9:19 am

Pretty sure plants-wearing-sunglasses will be the next big trend to sweep Blogland. :) I love the idea of hanging things above doors and windows too; I think it’s something a little unexpected because it might not occur to everyone to utilize that little piece of wall.

5 Richella April 23, 2010 at 9:19 am

Oh, yes, I most certainly do hang things above my doors! Windows, not so much. . . but I think that’s just because many of the windows in this house have transoms above them, so there’s no room for any bling.

Now that I think about it, though, there are a couple more places that could use some up-high fluffing. Hmmmm….

6 Katie April 23, 2010 at 9:28 am

I love that above the door words. I once saw one above a front door that said, “You came a stranger but leave as a friend.” or something like that. I so am going to do that. I particularely like your plates.

7 Melissa Howard April 23, 2010 at 10:00 am

I like decorating in ‘stacks or towers’ too.

I love iron scroll work – I have too much of it I imagine. ;)
Melissa Howard´s last blog ..another fishing tackle necklace My ComLuv Profile

8 Nadir@hodgepodge April 23, 2010 at 10:01 am

Where did you get that ironwork over your window? I love it! And the sunglasses on the potted plant is too adorable! Haha! Love it! Have a fantastic weekend!

9 Karen April 23, 2010 at 10:03 am

You know I saw the plant with the sunglasses and it didn’t even phase me, lol. But then I grew up with a mom that did crazy things like make blue bread, so plants with sunglasses seems pretty normal to me.
I don’t have anything above my doors, or much on the walls for that matter, but that will soon change. Thanks for the inspiration!

10 elz April 23, 2010 at 10:06 am

I’ve been thinking about putting something over my kitchen wondows. But, it takes me f-o-r-e-v-e-r to make design decisions. These are good ideas, thanks. Also, I love th esunglasses on the plant-keeping it real, yo!

11 Sarah April 23, 2010 at 10:13 am

I’m partial to this look too. It brings the eye upward. Oh, and I LOVE a plant with sunglasses!
Sarah
Sarah´s last blog ..DIY Wall Art – My Masterpiece My ComLuv Profile

12 Denise@ DensDailyLife April 23, 2010 at 10:16 am

I don’t have anything right now over my doors, I did have, but I moved it to above the mirror in the hallway. I’m off to Hobby Lobby this morning, maybe I will see what they have and treat myself to a new one ;-)
Have a lovely Friday.
Denise@ DensDailyLife´s last blog ..It’s Friday! My ComLuv Profile

13 Becca's Dirt April 23, 2010 at 10:41 am

I love how you have decorated. I sure could take some lessons from you.

14 Becky April 23, 2010 at 10:48 am

I do have some white crazed restaurant plates on my brown wall above my French doors. I like the way they pop against the brown and tie into the white trim around the doors. I love the sayings above doors–think I need one above my front door, a good positive message. Any suggestions?
Becky´s last blog ..Under $100 Linky Party! My ComLuv Profile

15 jeana April 23, 2010 at 10:59 am

The plant made me laugh, I love the personality it gives the space! There is no space above our windows or doors either (or not much space) but I love what you’ve done and I really like the decals. I’ll have to go check them out.
jeana´s last blog ..Reading List for me and the Boys My ComLuv Profile

16 pam @ Becolorful April 23, 2010 at 11:13 am

Come to think of it. I like things above things too. Looking around here I would say especially doors. How fun to have your blog incorporated into your home. As for those big toys. I must admit I was happy to finally be able to sell ours in a garage sale. Enjoy today but there are definite upsides to having an almost grown family.
Pamela
pam @ Becolorful´s last blog ..Pillow of the Week #13 Nursery Flair My ComLuv Profile

17 the domestic fringe April 23, 2010 at 11:37 am

I love those decals. I’m going to check them out! Your home is beautiful.
-FringeGirlt

18 Stacey @ The Blessed Nest April 23, 2010 at 11:53 am

I loved seeing your “cool” plant! :) I actually do decorate above some of my windows & doors…plates, architectural pieces & ironwork things usually. It can be fun to have a little somethin’ in a space that’s usually overlooked!
Have a great Friday!
Blessings,
Stacey
Stacey @ The Blessed Nest´s last blog ..This Color Is Back in a Fresh, New Way! My ComLuv Profile

19 suzanne April 23, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Now you know there are gonna be many a ladder pulled out in the next week or so because of what you started, don’t you???? :D
I love hanging things over things, too! I’ve got the same SLahOME wrought iron piece too, as well as a few others!!! :D

suzanne
suzanne´s last blog ..It’s time for Friday Fives!!!! My ComLuv Profile

20 Kerri April 23, 2010 at 12:50 pm

I absolutely love all of your ideas!!
I especially love the “as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord”

21 Heidi April 23, 2010 at 1:03 pm

In my kitchen, in the door way to the dining room, we have an iron thingie hanging: sort of a fruit basket with birds. I love it but it weighs about 30 lbs. We’re in the process of moving to So Cal-and my husband is concerned about earthquakes-I don’t think it’s going to be above any doorways in the new house!

22 Southern Gal April 23, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I love placing things about a door or window also. Yours are so pretty.
Southern Gal´s last blog ..A Beautiful Saturday in April My ComLuv Profile

23 Shannon April 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm

It is funny you posting this, because I was just looking above my pantry door and wondering what I need to put there. :-) I dont have an other doors downstairs except the ones leading outdoors, and so unless is upstairs above the bedrooms, my choices are limited. Have a great weekend!

24 Andi April 23, 2010 at 2:49 pm

I love your blog! It’s one of my favorite to read. I love decorating above doors, I usually hang pictures but I love the idea of the decals and the words above the door too. What a great tip!
Andi´s last blog ..Basil-Spinach Pesto My ComLuv Profile

25 Shelle April 23, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Ahh – I always forget about the area above doors and windows. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll have to take another look around my house now. :)
Shelle´s last blog ..Next project – kids bathroom My ComLuv Profile

26 the BLAH BLAH BLAHger April 23, 2010 at 5:13 pm

I built cornice boxes above my living room windows. They are elegant and coordinate with my linens. I love your decals, though, and may do something like that one day. : )

27 Lindsay April 23, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Hi Kimba,

Love it! I do that too! I have “Queen on the Kitchen above a doorway & some iron details above a few others… So fun and it really enhances the spaces! I love the one above your kitchen door… I have a few large scale frames with a few spiritual sayings on them!!

Lindsay
A Design Story
Lindsay´s last blog ..Gracious Giveaway Winner: It Makes Perfect Scents My ComLuv Profile

28 Melanie April 23, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I decorate above my doorways and a couple of windows. I like it. I don’t do it everywhere because that would be overkill but I do think it gives the area some interest.
Melanie´s last blog ..How I Met My House. My ComLuv Profile

29 Tracey April 23, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I have many naked spots that now must be filled!

p.s. Why don’t I get any commentluv? I checked the box. Why squirrel hate me?

30 Robyn April 23, 2010 at 10:46 pm

My front door could use something hanging over it…thanks for giving me some excellent ideas! God bless you, Robyn from http://www.foresthillsroad.blogspot.com

31 Amanda @ Serenity Now April 23, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I do! I have a really neat cookie mold above the kitchen door. :) My backyard can totally out-Sanford yours…we have a rickety plastic playhouse AND a Little Tykes car parked next to it!

32 Sarah April 24, 2010 at 12:43 am

I love that your plant is wearing sunglasses! Awesome!!

33 Marie April 24, 2010 at 11:25 am

Hello sweet Kimba – love all your sayings and decor over your doors! They definitely make a statement for your own family and those who visit your home! And such a great witnessing tool!

Blessings,
Marie
Marie´s last blog ..trash to treasure My ComLuv Profile

34 Amy at The Red Chair Blog April 24, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Hi Kimba,

I don’t have things hanging over my doors and windows in my house, but I do hang items over doors and windows in clients’ homes all the time.

I have to share something funny: for weeks and weeks after you wrote your post about Eddie Bauer “Pecan”, my local Lowe’s was out of the swatches for that color. They had chips for every single other color but that one! At first I thought that maybe the paint chip delivery guy was slacking off and had never delivered them, but it turns out that the chips were getting delivered regularly and just flying out of the store as soon as they arrived. My only explanation is “The Kimba Effect” :)

Amy
Amy at The Red Chair Blog´s last blog ..Simple Spruce-Ups: DIY Dispensers from Glass Bottles My ComLuv Profile

35 Jess April 24, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I love the hang things above doors and windows. I think it adds something-and we have some large door ways, so its nice to have some kind of decoration going on in that big empty space.

36 prior April 25, 2010 at 1:11 am

Love your above the door and window decor! Lezlee

37 TR April 25, 2010 at 10:49 am

We live in a 1st floor apartment and call me wierd but we name our apartments. The current abode is called “Clean Slate Corner” so I made a sign saying exactly that out of an old bunk bed slat and hung it over the sliding glass door to our patio…OUTSIDE! Since most of our guests use that door and not the front entry from inside the building, it’s a nice welcoming touch. As for the shades on the plant…dude…how cool is that?

38 Jennifer April 28, 2010 at 10:05 am

Yes, I hang stuff where ever it may fit! I love the decals and signs that remind me of my faith and beliefs for my family, it makes a house a home! We just remodeled our house and under the paint I wrote really big in pencil “As for me and my house, we will follow the Lord”. It was painted over but it is cool to know that no matter what that scripture is there.